PDA

View Full Version : Let Turkey stick it up your a**

canucks6
04-12-2018, 10:47 PM
What a joke. Money grab if I have ever seen one. Kill every whitetail that pokes its head out and then make a Turkey leh draw. So sad.

sako79
04-12-2018, 11:03 PM
They had to replace the grizzly draw with some other species

338win mag
04-13-2018, 05:25 AM
Lol.......

RyoTHC
04-13-2018, 06:58 AM
a LeH for a bird is a ****ing joke, it's a god damn bird... if the numbers can't support a season, then forget about it..

Fast forward to 2019.....

Brez
04-13-2018, 07:10 AM
Ha, ha, ha. Ain't that the truth. we should boycott that LEH. The numbers support an increased bag limit in GOS. I asked for a 5 bird yearly limit. We got an LEH!...for a handful of the critters. They must be saving them so that the wolves will have something to eat when the ungulates are gone.

kootenaihunter
04-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Boycotting might do the opposite. If they see that lots of people applied and are interested, they can use it as an effective management tool and extend the fall season or make some changes. If nobody applies, they'll say oh well and maybe go back to the way it was.

Some opportunity is better than no opportunity! Us evil killers need to take what we can get nowadays!

Andrewh
04-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Ahhh... isn't it increasing overall opportunity?

Brez
04-13-2018, 08:18 AM
Boycotting might do the opposite. If they see that lots of people applied and are interested, they can use it as an effective management tool and extend the fall season or make some changes. If nobody applies, they'll say oh well and maybe go back to the way it was.

Some opportunity is better than no opportunity! Us evil killers need to take what we can get nowadays!

You are probably right. Good point. The reasoning on the LEH is because of all the complaints from people who don't appreciate the turkeys crapping on vehicles and other property, digging, and making noise at all times of the day and night.

kootenaihunter
04-13-2018, 09:16 AM
You are probably right. Good point. The reasoning on the LEH is because of all the complaints from people who don't appreciate the turkeys crapping on vehicles and other property, digging, and making noise at all times of the day and night.

Yup, and it should be pretty easy to get one as they're all flocked up and in the low country in December, not to mentioned easy to track in snow and see roosting.

Salty
04-13-2018, 10:14 AM

Yes but that doesn't fit with if there's ever any change it sucks mantra. Also generally everything is horrible, we must uphold this principal.

russm
04-13-2018, 10:20 AM

Yea, that was my understanding, unless it comes out in the regs that they’ve done away with the open season.

DarekG
04-13-2018, 10:25 AM
Turkey is LEH in all of BC now? I'm not able to find any info about this, where are you guys reading this?

rimfire
04-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Turkey is LEH in all of BC now? I'm not able to find any info about this, where are you guys reading this?

No. The new LEH's have an "any turkey" draw in December, which was a closed season anyway.

The normal speculators on HBC are getting up in arms about things without any information.

DarekG
04-13-2018, 10:33 AM
No. The new LEH's have an "any turkey" draw in December, which was a closed season anyway.

The normal speculators on HBC are getting up in arms about things without any information.

Ah thanks, I always want to verify "straight from the source" whenever possible. I did see it on the LEH but couldn't find any amendments to the synopsis. Seems kind of random but I'm all for a "new" LEH season to be added.

Boner
04-13-2018, 10:56 AM

Sounds similar to the 7-20A elk situation. Except in my experience most landowners don’t want hunters to shoot elk on their land.

kootenaihunter
04-13-2018, 11:28 AM
The second season in R4 is Sept 1-30 Bow Only, Bearded, Oct 1-15 Open, any turkey. I doubt there was high harvest rate during this time as most hunters are focused in on big game species so this December season is a nice filler.

I've never had a fall turkey before, I wonder if they will have a little more fat/meat on them opposed to a spring turkey.

sawmill
04-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Yes. You can still hunt spring and fall as usual and you may get a draw for late Dec as well. Bow and Shotgun, BTW for the leh. So...what`s the big deal ? Not like everybody is going out for one as if it was a cow elk draw.

boxhitch
04-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Sure its a new opportunity, thats a good thing. At only one permit for each hunt obviously there is consideration for growth and who knows, maybe eventually a gos
baby steps

Stumpy
04-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Ha, ha - your all a bunch of nerds. Who is going to pay for a LEH card for a turkey when you can buy a butter ball at the store for $2/lb. Go waste your gas and money on LEH, the come back to us and say,"wow, it tastes just like a real turkey!". Get a life.

DarekG
04-13-2018, 01:09 PM
Ha, ha - your all a bunch of nerds. Who is going to pay for a LEH card for a turkey when you can buy a butter ball at the store for $2/lb. Go waste your gas and money on LEH, the come back to us and say,"wow, it tastes just like a real turkey!". Get a life.

Hey man, some of us are just looking for a legitimate excuse to get out there.
Maybe, just maybe, some of us like hunting.

btridge
04-13-2018, 01:12 PM
Sure its a new opportunity, thats a good thing. At only one permit for each hunt obviously there is consideration for growth and who knows, maybe eventually a gos
baby steps

There is allready a spring GOS and a fall GOS, the LEH is to have a controlled thinning a few problem birds by hunters as I understand it.

btridge
04-13-2018, 01:14 PM

I take it by that comment, you have never eaten a wild turkey !

Brez
04-13-2018, 05:01 PM
The second season in R4 is Sept 1-30 Bow Only, Bearded, Oct 1-15 Open, any turkey. I doubt there was high harvest rate during this time as most hunters are focused in on big game species so this December season is a nice filler.

I've never had a fall turkey before, I wonder if they will have a little more fat/meat on them opposed to a spring turkey.
They are definitely more tender and if you take a hen, it will be very good, just a tad smaller.

HarryToolips
04-13-2018, 09:11 PM
What a joke. Money grab if I have ever seen one. Kill every whitetail that pokes its head out and then make a Turkey leh draw. So sad.
The whitetail are doing just fine, and even great in many areas, and where they are lower, they will bounce back as soon as we have some easier winters, relax...and this turkey hunt is just more increased opportunity...

jtred
04-13-2018, 09:27 PM
I'm definitely putting in for this, turkey hunting is a blast, so to get an extra season when very few other hunters are in the woods is great. Might have to strap on the snowshoes for this hunt but since I spend every weekend snowshoeing and watching wildlife anyhow it would be a bonus to kill another turkey just in time for Christmas. I used to come across them all the time in the winter but the last couple of winters has changed their habits a bit, at least on crown. Too bad you can't use rimfire in the fall, they're a lot more difficult to call in close in autumn so the added reach of a 22lr/22mag/17hmr would be really beneficial.

canucks6
04-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Hey stinkyharrytoolips the whitetail are doing fine, I agree. But the numbers are obviously lower recently. That is fine with me cause they are quite resilient. But why not do a doe draw instead of a wide open season. As far as the Turkey leh I m not a fan, what's next grouse?

Rattler
04-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Perplexing alright, given their populations have exploded in the Kootenays. They are an absolute nuisance in some areas.

HappyJack
04-13-2018, 11:38 PM
LEH for birds? What's next, punch tags for ditch chickens?

Treed
04-14-2018, 01:02 AM

Agreed!!! What a Buch if loooosers! I only go hunting when the $/lb make sense. Who the heck cares about the experience!!

unless of course you are being as sarcastic as me. In that case I agree.

TexasWalker
04-14-2018, 02:21 AM
I don't want to let a turkey stick anything up my ass.

boxhitch
04-14-2018, 03:37 AM
Somebody must have heard of this before now, surprised the news hasn't been leaked

rocksteady
04-14-2018, 07:14 AM
Years ago in Creston turkey was only on leh .. .it was a well subscribed draw

tadpole
04-14-2018, 07:22 AM

TW, nice picture of yours in the avatar, unless it is your uncle Ulianov.:p

browningboy
04-14-2018, 07:24 AM

I agree 100% on this