PDA

View Full Version : Opening day in Region 1 thread !!!!!!!!!!!

BlacktailStalker
08-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, all my fellow archers know that tomorrow is opening day here on the Island.
I'll be in my tree @ 4:30 tomorrow morning anticipating a respectable blacktail walking by.

What about you !?

Post your first success of the year here !!!!!!!!!!!

Draw silent, pick your spot and vision that pass through !!!

The Hermit
08-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Ha! I packed up and shipped all my hunting gear to Cranbrook in prep for the elk fest...

big game walker hounds
08-24-2007, 11:10 PM
you bet, watched a nice 3x4 and a giant 2 walk right by my stand tonight.

houndogger
08-25-2007, 05:26 AM
Heading out in a few minutes to chase a few bears around. good luck everyone.8-)

Bigbear
08-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Hope to see you there Hermit. Jess and I will be around the Horseshoe lake fort steele Area.

big game walker hounds
08-25-2007, 12:09 PM
as soon as i get my picks transferd to my computer ill show you a great crack of light buck, wacked one of the big 3's 28 yrds had to bail out of the stand and stalk it.

BlacktailStalker
08-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Nice work bgwh ! Cant wait!
Had a few does and fawns underneath this am and spotted a huge 4x3 beeded 50 yards away in a swamp, he stood up and was nervous and walked away. Tried to put a stalk on him but it was way too thick and loud.
I didnt have "that feeling" about the stand I sat in this morning. It was one I hadnt watched in a long time. I was hoping to nail one way far back from where we watch them feed but they must have bed down half way.
Tomorrow am hopefully...

trapperdan2061
08-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Only deer I saw were on the side of the highway while driving to my stand

Beverly
08-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Only deer I saw were on the side of the highway while driving to my stand

Go figure.....the only deer I saw was a doe at the back of my property lol. (Legal to shoot does here btw :eek: ...I like them here tho they bring bucks in hahaha)

big game walker hounds
08-25-2007, 10:48 PM
went out again tonight, the worst of the worst happend, that big 5x7 was beded about 15 yrds from my ground blind in the black berries and busted out of there hope i get another chance, going to leave the area for quite some time i think. saw 13 bucks today lots of little gaffers.

bochunk2000
08-26-2007, 09:48 AM
A buddy and I went out for the morning and we saw 11 does. No bucks seen yesterday for us. It was awesome to be out in the bush again.
Congrats BGWH its sounds like you have a great spot and have put in the early effort.
Steve.

bsa30-06
08-26-2007, 10:11 AM
This thread requires pictures.

MRBucks
08-26-2007, 10:28 AM
went out again tonight, the worst of the worst happend, that big 5x7 was beded about 15 yrds from my ground blind in the black berries and busted out of there hope

Well that must have sucked, for sure. A big 5x7 is hard enough to even see, let alone to be in a position to take one. Better luck next time!

mikek blacktail
08-26-2007, 10:43 AM
I nailed a big four point last night I'll give the story when I get some pics.

Beverly
08-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Pics guys come on!

I saw dick all for bucks tonight....doe/fawn, 3 beaver and 2 cotton tail :(

blacktail18
08-27-2007, 07:03 PM
got my first deer with the bow opening nite in cowichan a nice little fork good eating just having the tenderlion now well good luck got to get the bigger one i saw after shooting the small one maybe this weeknd

thatskindafunny
08-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Ok, I have been trying to post a pic of my 5x5 that I got with my cross bow last night. Thanks for the help with the info on cross bows. They are deadly. Just ask my deer. And Partner G thanks for the old and experience eyes on the blood trail. Will try and just post a pic as everytime I try with writing this scrib it disappears. Anyways the big 3 is still out there which dwarfs this one.

thatskindafunny
08-27-2007, 08:09 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0012.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5887&limit=recent)

blacktail18
08-27-2007, 08:19 PM
congrats thatskindafunny nice looking buck where abouts on the island u get that north are south

bsa30-06
08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
congrats nice buck.

thatskindafunny
08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Been hunting a farm for 21 years between Courtenay and Campbell River. I go there lots in the summer and sit for quiet and peace of mind. 350 acres and I hunt a 150 x 150 yard triangle. Hmmm just remember if he is more than 30 paces he's toooooo far.

BlacktailStalker
08-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Nice buck thatskindafunny !

I am livid. had another trespasser walk under us tonight ( I was filming. My buddy and I were in the same tree)
We had already had a dozen + does walk by, the bucks were next and it was prime time, last 30 minutes of light when he screwed it up for us. He lied through his teeth, he gave the wrong landowners name and said he was lost lol.
The road was 200 yards away and he had bow in hand.
We called the landowner and told him the direction he was headed and he came ripping out on a quad looking for him.
I doubt he'll be back as we said the outcome would be different if we werent stuck in climbing tree stands.

Every time I have been out it has been "something" unordinary thats screwed it up for us.
I am filming a hunt for another friend tomorrow and thats it for me until after the elk hunt.

Wildman
08-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Too bad Andy, good luck with the elk!

Beverly
08-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Every time I have been out it has been "something" unordinary thats screwed it up for us.

Crummy....I'm seeing more stinking deer on the road to/from then while hunting LMAO! Last night a young buck walked out on the powerline I was walking with a newbie bow hunter, right towards us as we headed out (us yapping and having a smoke go figure lol). It didn't appear to see us and began feeding, slowly coming to us. Me thinks: sit the hell still and watch for the big boys to now come out.

My newbie bud somehow startled it by not keeping position and it bolted up a bank and stood there, still not all that alarmed. I motioned because I was 20 yards behind him that I was going to circle around and push him down....not sure what he was thinking because instead of staying put he saw me move and up the bank he went after it :eek:
Me- WTF! there's no chasing with bows lol!

I realized he did not "get" that I would push him down towards him and walked back down just in time to see a beauty 4x4 mosey back into the bush that would have been within his range had he stayed put. :roll:

Shhhhh....don't freaking move lol. I can laugh right now but this would not be so funny last week of the season. :biggrin:

So last night saw a spiker / a 4x4 / doe fawn / doe with twin fawns and of course right on the logging rd at dark what appeared to be another beauty buck...that hustled off quick into the dark.

Beverly
08-28-2007, 11:31 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0012.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5887&limit=recent)

Beauty! Congrats :)

blacktail18
08-28-2007, 07:26 PM
blacktailstalker were bouts u going elk hunting i'm heading to cranbrook on the 6th of sept got a 5x6 elk last year hope to get another

lapadat
08-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Thats kinda funny,,,,,beauty looking buck. Do you use a rangefinder in the field when crossbow hunting?

For you treestand archer's, do you guys range before a shot or put flags at set distances?

I was up my stand this morning for a while (no bow until Sept 1) and had a 2 pt walking around....you guys seeing more than 5 bucks a night are in great deer country.

Andy, sucks about the trespasser....hopefully he's not back.

thatskindafunny
08-29-2007, 06:32 AM
No I do not own a range finder. I keep my tree stands no more than 22 paces from the trails I'm watching. I have trees, stumps, etc. paced out and if they are past that then it's a no shoot situation and a maybey I should of put the tree stand on that tree. But usually the deer come down the trail I'm watching. When this buck walked on the other side of a small stump I figured he would come by it throws everything you had planned into another perspective. And this was at 15 paces. Just remember When you think you've got them figured out they'll do something else. But DON'T PANIC. Going to pick up my ground blind this morning and will take pic's of my tree stand and post a pic later today.