PDA

View Full Version : This outta rile up the Anti's!!

f350ps
04-11-2018, 07:13 AM
http://theprovince.com/news/local-news/ottawa-spends-5-7-million-on-deer-eradication-in-haida-gwaii-featuring-new-zealand-sharpshooters/wcm/29dc0ee3-2063-44e9-b0aa-0c2c97e69ede
Just think, if they had of used local hunters and charged a fee for the thrill there would have been a line up of guys to do it like hog hunting in Texas! K

Gunner Staal
04-11-2018, 07:32 AM
This article is complete and utter crap. I live in Haida Gwaii and if they think for one second that they can eradicate these deer long term it’s an absolute joke. These blacktail are like marine iguanas, they swim from island to island, feed on marine vegetation and have had no issue in populating almost the entire archipelago. Do the math on the budget, nearly $10,000 per animal to date. They will be back within a few years. It’s also a complete croc that the meat is being distributed amongst the communities. It may have been so in the beginning, for deer that were conveniently shot next to the Oceanside bait stations.....but this was simply an initial movement to appease the anti hunting community. If you think that these “New Zealand sharp shooters” are landing their helicopter (on an island where there is nowhere to land) to retrieve the carcass of a 40 pound fawn (don’t forget the ribs and neck) you are sadly mistaken. In my opinion, this massive budget could have been allocated in far more worthy locations/initiatives within B.C. it makes me additionally frustrated that I am now required to pack out the ribs and neck of these deer when the federal government has a flat out pass to shoot them and let them rot.....just a couple of islands to the south. This article is riddled with untruths and exaggerations about how this is going down. It’s a complete double standard between the feds and the everyday hunter.

boxhitch
04-11-2018, 07:52 AM
Surprised Pynn wasn't onto this sooner........oh wait he isn't an investigative reporter

Big Lew
04-11-2018, 07:52 AM
As far as I'm concerned, it stinks big time. I'm not arguing that a cull is necessary or not, but it
should be done within in our hunting and sharpshooting Canadian citizenship. It simply goes to
show how deeply entrenched 'Mr dressup' and his government's attitude is toward our hunting and
gun owner's community. I'm pretty darn sure that there are more than enough qualified Canadians
that would like to share in that $5.7 million dollars rather then hire foreigners. It would even be
more appropriate to use our military than to resort to foreigners.

Gunner Staal
04-11-2018, 08:05 AM
It’s just the way the article is written to try to desperately prove some form of humane and ethical harvest. A cull is a cull. Call this what it is, you have hired a slew of foreign workers to eradicate a wild animal with .223 carbine assault rifles, all forms of machinery and hunting dogs. Oh, they forgot to mention the part about the pack of hunting dogs ripping the deer to pieces before the kiwis arrive and actually shoot the animal. I wonder how that would go over with the lower mainland antis. You somehow find a way to vilify bear hunting using traditional methods, and now you release this load of crap on the public about how it is you (the government) sees fit to harvest.

bigbuzz
04-11-2018, 08:08 AM
when they are finished that contract they can start on the grizzlies that are chewing peoples' arses off

Big Lew
04-11-2018, 08:56 AM
when they are finished that contract they can start on the grizzlies that are chewing peoples' arses off

As long as they can keep any of their contracts away from the "nasty gun totting public" they will!

sawmill
04-11-2018, 09:10 AM
This sounds like BS to me. Is this really true? New Zealand sharp shooters? C`mon. I know enough guys who can tie or beat anyone in the world. Hell, there must be a couple thousand on this site alone. I know that I seldom miss,and I know many guys better than me, and there are no thousand yard shots on the /charlottes. Helicopter??? Give me a break. Try getting rid of the thousand deer that live in Kimberley. They are having no luck with that judging by the 14 mulies in my yard this morning. I heard 100 were transplanted this spring from here. ( he walks away, shaking his head at stupidity)

steel_ram
04-11-2018, 09:14 AM
When are the original occupants of Haida Gwaii (and elsewhere) going to start harvesting seals again as they historically did? Seems they are another species that may need a cull.

whitlers
04-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Haha what a joke 'SPCA spokesperson says they were impressed with the ethical kills via headshots....head shots from a low flying helo with a semi 223 at a moving target. Wonder how many deer are walking around with their lower jaw missing.

Whole thing is a joke

rimfire
04-11-2018, 09:57 AM
$10K per deer? I would have done it for half that. Parks Canada, if you read this, send me a message!

downsouth204
04-11-2018, 10:03 AM
Total and utter BS. New Zealand sharpshooters....!!! What there are no hunters in BC?
5.7 million dollars!
Maybe we could employ these sharpshooters to take out the government aholes that approved this, it would be far better use of the money.

Drillbit
04-11-2018, 10:10 AM
They'll allow shooting deer from helicopters but not wolves.......

04-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Canada is Phucked. Our political leadership is of the lowest quality.

04-11-2018, 10:29 AM
I got an idea..... NBL on the area..... in the BC Regs..... FREE!!!!!!
see if that works....

Downtown
04-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Unbelievable and the Provincial NDP Government with the Greens must be in on this simply because "All Wildlife belongs to the Crown".........the Provincial Crown that is, ..................what is coming next.

Downtown
04-11-2018, 12:06 PM
http://theprovince.com/news/local-news/ottawa-spends-5-7-million-on-deer-eradication-in-haida-gwaii-featuring-new-zealand-sharpshooters/wcm/29dc0ee3-2063-44e9-b0aa-0c2c97e69ede
Just think, if they had of used local hunters and charged a fee for the thrill there would have been a line up of guys to do it like hog hunting in Texas! K

I tried your Link and the Article came up, but when I copied and pasted your link directly into Google it does not work. Why would that be ?

BCJaeger
04-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Wow. I first thought this is a late April fool's prank. But a Google search confirmed many articles about this:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=deer+eradication+in+Haida+Gwaii

303savage
04-11-2018, 12:22 PM
http://theprovince.com/news/local-ne...a-0c2c97e69ede (http://theprovince.com/news/local-news/ottawa-spends-5-7-million-on-deer-eradication-in-haida-gwaii-featuring-new-zealand-sharpshooters/wcm/29dc0ee3-2063-44e9-b0aa-0c2c97e69ede)

Is there any truth to this article or is someone just stirring the pot?

There are a lot of people in B.C. that would cull the deer for a hell of a lot less. We don't need paid foreigners to do it. :-(

bigbuzz
04-11-2018, 12:30 PM
I had friends up there that participated in a similar project 25 years ago and many deer were killed but they came back. The season there you were allowed 10 deer. The rats are another problem as well, they were plentiful.

Jackleg
04-11-2018, 01:48 PM
...... This is laughable, our government is a joke.......

sawmill
04-11-2018, 02:11 PM
Haha what a joke 'SPCA spokesperson says they were impressed with the ethical kills via headshots....head shots from a low flying helo with a semi 223 at a moving target. Wonder how many deer are walking around with their lower jaw missing.

Whole thing is a joke
Maybe those guys from N Z ARE better than us. Chicken shit gun from a chopper at moving targets and head shots.!! Better not piss off New Zealand.

scotty30-06
04-11-2018, 02:19 PM
Wow the deer must be pretty bad....give them a boat ride to the mainland....we need more blacktails over here lol

gcreek
04-11-2018, 02:24 PM
The govt. is just preparing Haida Gwai to give back to the Indians very shortly. The islands and 200 Kim’s of water around them. Should be good for a little income from the tanker traffic.

IronNoggin
04-11-2018, 03:43 PM
The govt. is just preparing Haida Gwai to give back to the Indians very shortly. The islands and 200 Kim’s of water around them. Should be good for a little income from the tanker traffic.

You are closer to the truth than you might actually realize.
The Haida have applied to a sympathetic federal government for SOLE Access to all fisheries in massive areas surrounding the Queen Charlottes. Those, after Justine approves them, will eliminate ALL commercial and recreational fisheries in those areas completely.

And band after band to the south & north are waiting with bated breath...

Sad Times... :(
Nog

boxhitch
04-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Whats with the nay saying why not look at the positive.

Gov makes a decision to solve a problem and takes affirmative action 👍
A precedent has been set on how to deal with unwanted wildlife 👍
Locals weren't able to keep up with the growing pop. , something had to be done
SPCA has a sympathizer in their midst, better than all naysayers 👍
likely the dogs are being used to drive deer, not eat them, just another tool 👍
Likely the math will play out to less $$ per head if they take out a target of thousands
Couple of Mil$ for a crew with equipment is small potatoes. A local hiking trail is soaking up 10 times that much..

Big Lew
04-11-2018, 04:28 PM

Gov makes a decision to solve a problem and takes affirmative action 
A precedent has been set on how to deal with unwanted wildlife 
SPCA has a sympathizer in their midst, better than all naysayers 
likely the dogs are being used to drive deer, not eat them, just another tool 
Likely the math will play out to less $$ per head if they take out a target of thousands
Couple of Mil$ for a crew with equipment is small potatoes. A local hiking trail is soaking up 10 times that much..

My criticism is not about the government's decision to cull the deer, it's about the hiring of foreigners to do it,
especially considering the history of the Liberal attitude about Canadians using and owning firearms. First of all,
they should be keeping the expenditure of our dollars 'in house' to benefit Canadians rather than foreigners, and
secondly, there are more than enough 'sharp shooters' right home in Canada that are able to do the job.
I stand by my comments about it being a political decision not to be a part of Canadians owning and using firearms.

Gunner Staal
04-11-2018, 04:36 PM
I dont disagree with you completely Boxhitch. My issue is mainly with the way the article is written. There are many untruths and exaggerations with regards to how this program is being run. I have personal knowledge of it as a resident here. They have manipulated the story in the media to make it seem significantly more humane than it is. I’m not saying the cull isn’t a justified action, but don’t sugar coat it and bull shit the public as to how it’s being done. Especially not on the heels of banning the grizzly hunt and what I feel is the constant vilifying of hunting in our province. I truly belive this is a waste of 6 million dollars for many reasons. This initiative will fail. There are simply too many deer here. What will they do next? Try to eradicate the elk that were transplanted here as well? At what point do you consider a species “native” and accept them as part of the ecosystem. I’m not saying the ungulates here don’t damage certain aspects of the traditional flora/fauna, because they do. But they’ve been here for well over 100 years now and they’re not going anywhere. Spending this kind of money to thin the population on a few isolated, uninhabited islands in a national park 3-4 hours boat ride from anywhere.....is a poor allocation of funding in my honest opinion. But we all know what opinions are worth lol

Gov makes a decision to solve a problem and takes affirmative action 
A precedent has been set on how to deal with unwanted wildlife 
SPCA has a sympathizer in their midst, better than all naysayers 
likely the dogs are being used to drive deer, not eat them, just another tool 

dana
04-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Wonder why they just didn't transplant a few dozen wolves. It would be 'fascinating' watching them decimate the deer herds and then wipe out the Spirit Bear.

boxhitch
04-11-2018, 05:05 PM
I listen to any opinion and keep an open mind
As far as how it is written, no article should surprise anyone
$6 mil sounds high but is a drop in the bucket when it comes to Gov contracts

but don’t sugar coat it and bull shit the public as to how it’s being done. Especially not on the heels of banning the grizzly hunt and what I feel is the constant vilifying of hunting in our province.apples and oranges imo

And the crew they brought in are likely experienced practiced professionals with support and dogs , and maybe even their own R44s? idk
Hopefully a few Canucks are along for the ride to get experience. It takes a whole lot more than an accurate shooter

blacklab
04-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Maybe when the shooters are done up there they can come down and help region 3 manage white tails!

358mag
04-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Maybe when the shooters are done up there they can come down and help region 3 manage white tails!

Hell with the Whitetails , have then deal with the wolf's .

dana
04-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Hell with the Whitetails , have then deal with the wolf's .

Shoot wolves??? WTF dude, that is just wrong. Gotta remember there are wayyy too many dog lovers on this site. Hell a bunch of them will probably be applauding Weaver and his win over Kinder Morgan. And Weaver will be thanking them for all their support. Would be the perfect time for a few tomatoes wouldn't it?

358mag
04-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Shoot wolves??? WTF dude, that is just wrong. Gotta remember there are wayyy too many dog lovers on this site. Hell a bunch of them will probably be applauding Weaver and his win over Kinder Morgan. And Weaver will be thanking them for all their support. Would be the perfect time for a few tomatoes wouldn't it?

Amen to that , some people just cant see the ocean for all the water ........
Tomatoes , no thinking more like rocks !!

gcreek
04-11-2018, 08:27 PM

LOL, truth hurts Dana. It will hurt longer that Organ and Beaver ( the two screwers) are in power.

Gateholio
04-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Canadian snipers hold 3 of the top 5 records, yet the feds import shooters to cull deer, as if Canadians couldn't get it done. Shocking.

I wonder why they didn't just make it NBL for deer in those areas for a few years. Lots of hunters would make the trip, spend money in the local economy and take home a freezer full of deer meat.

dropinvancouver
04-11-2018, 10:51 PM
I don't understand what is inside the brain of those people running the wild life management.
The so call spent 5.7 million dollars, could use to fund BC or Canadian hunters, let say if we buy a HaidaGwai deer tag, then government pay our ferry fees.
That means this can attract thousands of hunters going north to the islands to hunt deer.
I bet that would be more productive way.

blacklab
04-12-2018, 07:04 AM
I don't understand what is inside the brain of those people running the wild life management.
The so call spent 5.7 million dollars, could use to fund BC or Canadian hunters, let say if we buy a HaidaGwai deer tag, then government pay our ferry fees.
That means this can attract thousands of hunters going north to the islands to hunt deer.
I bet that would be more productive way.

Because in this country, to cull is acceptable to hunt is not, more so if it doesn't involve resident hunters.

bigredchev
04-12-2018, 07:41 AM
Instead of paying to hunt these animals,Bc should have charged a permit, stimulated the local economy with ferry, fuel, lodgings, added to conservation via tags and would be miles ahead.

walks with deer
04-12-2018, 07:45 AM
gatehouse i couldnt agree more...

my young family needs at least 400lbs of meat per year..remove the 5 limit and allow onsite butchering island only and my family would put a good dent espeacially at a time when mokse and mule deer are heavily restricted.

REMINGTON JIM
04-12-2018, 07:51 AM
I really DON't know what to think about this ? I DO think it could be done with our OWN people ?? here from Canada ! The Indians DO NOT WANT a Bunch of Hunters there at ALL so that would be out for sure ! The INDIANs do WANT the QCIslands back ALL to them selves :shock: - I have chatted to some of them over the years i went there and that is NO Doubt there intentions ! :frown: jmo RJ

This is interesting ! The SPCA confirmed it was impressed by the clean kills that minimized suffering to the deer. “I was blown away at how professional it was,” said Sara Dubois, the SPCA’s chief scientific officer. “They would only take head shots — no body shots — and only if they could guarantee an instant kill.”
Oh Sara your so NAIVE ! :-P

Gunner Staal
04-12-2018, 09:54 AM
There is a double standard with Haida Gwaii blacktail. On one hand they are culling them (only in the National Park where no one can hunt anyhow) and on the other, they refuse to go to a NBL regulation where hunting is allowed. The local communities would lose it. The islands basically live off deer meat and increased pressure from mainland hunters would cause a major uproar from the Haida and other locals. On one hand they love them and on the other they’re trying to kill them all. I say just let them be and spend your cull money elsewhere (wolves/whitetail). Plus I don’t need all you HBCers flooding over here and finding my elk spots ��

Gateholio
04-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Even relaxing the 5 in possession rules and allowing 15 in possession would drop the population significantly.

Boner
04-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Even relaxing the 5 in possession rules and allowing 15 in possession would drop the population significantly.

They’re not that easy to hunt in numbers. But it would certainly make the trip more appealing for mainlanders who try to justify the cost of a trip based on the amount of venison they can possibly bring home.

boxhitch
04-12-2018, 11:53 AM
There is a double standard with Haida Gwaii blacktail. On one hand they are culling them (only in the National Park where no one can hunt anyhow) and on the other, they refuse to go to a NBL regulation where hunting is allowed. The local communities would lose it. The islands basically live off deer meat and increased pressure from mainland hunters would cause a major uproar from the Haida and other locals. On one hand they love them and on the other they’re trying to kill them all. I say just let them be and spend your cull money elsewhere (wolves/whitetail). Plus I don’t need all you HBCers flooding over here and finding my elk spots ��good insight from a local, thanks GS

gamehunter6o
04-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Don't shoot me guys, but I have seen whole lines on aerial shot animals (deer) on the hooks in New Zealand all head or neck shot. Man these guys are good and if you think it's easy, come on over and you can pay by the hour to practice.
As our red deer got more shot up, they got smart and you would see them heading for trees or scrub cover at the far sound of a chopper.
In scrub country they learned to lay down flat, (just as a fawn/calf will) to evade detection.
Unfortunately for those that are opposed to the Haida Gwaii cull, our red deer were subjected to gradual aerial shooting where most deer in the early days got away and the survivors had years to get smart, but I doubt the black tail will have time to learn the tricks of survival.
Most aerial deer recovery in NZ is now done with 12ga. buckshot and I would be surprised that as the black tail numbers get lower the 12ga. will not be used. It has great humane knockdown when fired from above with minimal meat damage.
I have no idea what the habitat/cover is on Haida Gwaii, but here in NZ our mature forests protected our deer from near annihilation as aerial shooting is only effective in scrub or clearings.
Forest hunting extermination by man and dog is possible over 5000 acres or more may be, but 1000s of us hunters tried to shoot the last deer in NZ in the heady days of meat hunting here in NZ (1960-2000) but we never got close.

I say, cherish and preserve the hunting and the game species you have in the vast wilderness areas of BC, where the game is a natural resident and not doing environment harm through overpopulation.

Big Lew
04-12-2018, 08:44 PM
That's quite insightful, thanks, but the main issue here is not so much the method of shooting as it is the
hiring of outside contractors, especially considering our current federal governments agenda to take guns
away from it's citizens. They would prefer that nobody had firearms except the police and military, so will
do anything to thwart those that use guns even for legitimate hunting. Had our prime minister,"Mr Dressup",
his way, he would even contract out the military so that he could do away with firearms all together in this
country. leaving the gangsters and other violent bad people free range with their illegal weapons.