PDA

View Full Version : Pink mnt bears

leadpillproductions
04-06-2018, 08:47 PM
Thinking of taking the kid up for bears in may , Anyone every do any spring black bear hunting up there. Havent hunted area for 20years ago . Only time ive hunted was moose season

Bear Chaser
04-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Better bear hunting in the Monias and Septimus areas.
Great scenery up around Pink Mountain though.

leadpillproductions
04-06-2018, 09:22 PM
Just lookin for a little 4 to 5 day trip away from chetwynd .

shortrange
04-07-2018, 12:20 AM
Just lookin for a little 4 to 5 day trip away from chetwynd .

You might try around MacKenzie. More bears.

boxhitch
04-07-2018, 05:18 AM
Maaybe look for a watershed with a salmon run
Meat might be higher in Omeaga-3's :) making it a 'health food'

But Pink does have bears, judging by the number of sightings along the highway greenways

S.W.A.T.
04-07-2018, 06:13 AM
Maaybe look for a watershed with a salmon run
Meat might be higher in Omeaga-3's :) making it a 'health food'

But Pink does have bears, judging by the number of sightings along the highway greenways

Hard to find salmon during spring bear season

boxhitch
04-07-2018, 06:29 AM
Looking for bears not salmon
Don't you think the bears still live near the streams maybe ? and would have a high protein and fat diet ?
And would be habituated to wandering the waterway looking for anything to eat?
I've had a couple of creek fishing trips interrupted by huge bears

butcher
04-07-2018, 07:59 AM
Man I see a pile of them around pine pass in June every year. But I guess that’s not exactly a break from Chetwynd

karp2277
04-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Hunted moose near and around Pink for over 40 years, always see tons of bears every year in the early fall

KodiakHntr
04-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Not many salmon streams near Pink Mountain....

S.W.A.T.
04-07-2018, 10:54 AM
Not many salmon streams near Pink Mountain....

Nope.

Most bears east of the Rockies aren't really known as fish bears either.

Not sure how much snow is still up there but for bears I would consider moving north of pink mountain. Go to ft Nelson or liars area. Stay at the hot springs and cruise around there. Just my opinion

KodiakHntr
04-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Right now? About 3’ plus. Going to be a bit before there is access anywhere.

boxhitch
04-07-2018, 11:52 AM
............. Go to ft Nelson or liars area. Stay at the hot springs and cruise around there. Just my opinionMore tips. Have heard the Yukon highway right-of-way has some great spring bear hunting, some of the best and earliest tender vitals. The mowing program keeps things young and fresh and berries are everywhere. Cover a lot of ground at 120 kph to find a good one

leadpillproductions
04-07-2018, 04:23 PM
I know when I was up there hunting as a kid there seamed to be a bear at ever gas plant rd .Should be able to find a couple .

albravo2
04-07-2018, 04:37 PM
In several years hunting Redfern/Buckinghorse area I've seen more grizzly sign than black bear. Maybe it is just more noticeable.

One morning my wife decided to tag along on my daybreak hunt to see what it is all about. We drove the Rhino down in darkness to a series of swamps where I'd seen fresh sign. On the way I explained that it was a good morning for tracking because the thick dew would make it easy to tell if an animal had been on the move. I showed here a couple places where the dew was disturbed by tracks. We parked, waited for first light, then did a quiet walking tour of the swamps. We didn't see any fresh moose sign but when we had looped around, almost all the way back to the Rhino, my wife proudly pointed out that we were cutting fresh sign because she could see some big footprints disrupting the dew over the road we were walking on. It was a good sized griz, we must have woken him up when we arrived. I'll always wonder if he buggered way off or if he watched us or smelled us as we walked the swamps. Regardless, the hair on our necks was on end until we were back out of the area. Next year I had a grizzly tag and we didn't see hide nor hair, funny how that works.

Norwestalta
04-07-2018, 06:00 PM
Think they’re pipelining in that part of the world pretty steadily. Been a while but there was a lot of bears in the Komie area east of Fort Nelson. Seemed like every 1/2 mile of road there was a bear.