PDA

View Full Version : Regulation changes

chilcotin hillbilly
04-05-2018, 11:35 AM
As of April 1 we will have to remove neck and rib cage meat, the four quarters and the lions from all cougar, black bear, deer, moose, goat, sheep, caribou elk, bison.
Did anyone know this regulation change was coming down the pipe? Our regional office had no idea this was coming.

wifigary
04-05-2018, 11:48 AM
It was mentioned last week, and also announced via here:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/hunting/important-notices/ibregchangesapril18.pdf

ellenbill
04-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Damn that Grizzly bear not only did he eat the liver but the neck and ribs too!!

J_T
04-05-2018, 12:23 PM
I believe anyone that has an online account for hunting also received an email about it. It was certainly well advertised and circulated. Your regional office knew about it. For sure.

kootenaihunter
04-05-2018, 12:25 PM
"hunters will be required to carry the species’ licences obtained or held for thecurrent licence year, including cancelled and uncancelled licences, and produce these licencesupon request of a conservation officer"

the real trip up is carrying all species licences at all times no matter what you are hunting for. So, even after you've killed a muley on a trip, now you're out moose hunting or whatever a few weeks later, you still need to carry the muley tag with you. Not a huge deal, just keep everything in a ziplock in your hunting bag, but something that could be easily forgotten as the season goes on.

All they really need to do is continue to get everything online, and then you can digitally cancel your tag once you get home (still clip it in the field), then you don't need to carry it afterwards. This will do two things: allow the CO to access this info online AND they will have automatic stats on success rates.

finngun
04-05-2018, 12:31 PM
If ya coyote hunting...do ya still carry deer..moose..etc. tags witth ya��..if ya have them?

kootenaihunter
04-05-2018, 12:40 PM
If ya coyote hunting...do ya still carry deer..moose..etc. tags witth ya��..if ya have them?

I guess as it's worded, for the current licence year, yes? Be interesting to see the exact wording in the synopsis.

srupp
04-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Hi Chilcotin Hillbilly. .thank you JULIE for reading this to Doug..he gets so frustrated when there is more then 4 letters in each word..lol

Thanks for the heads up Doug..welcome home....
Cheers
Steven Susan..Ebony

tomcat
04-05-2018, 12:53 PM
What the "H" is the reasoning for carrying cancelled tags with you when hunting another species?????????

rimfire
04-05-2018, 01:03 PM
What the "H" is the reasoning for carrying cancelled tags with you when hunting another species?????????

I question the reasoning as well. Realistically, before going to the new tag system, we had them in the booklet and that stayed with us so no problem there. Perhaps we should simply go back to the booklet again?

Fisher-Dude
04-05-2018, 01:18 PM

My guess is that if a person has tagged out, say for example on deer in region 2, then the COS want to see those cancelled tags should they find a hunter with a 3rd deer in that region, or still hunting for his 3rd deer.

Hunting for a different species probably didn't enter the rationale.

PKernohan
04-05-2018, 01:20 PM

It seems like it's closing an obvious loophole. Here's a hypothetical...

I buy 1 mule deer license and go shoot a buck in region 8, cut my tag and bring the deer home. I then go buy 1 more mule deer license and head back into region 8 looking for another mulie (knowing it was illegal).

A CO stops me while out in the field and is checking everything out, he is able to see I've purchased 2 mule deer tags and asks to see them. Last year, I could have simply said, "oh, I cut that on a region 3 buck earlier this year and it's at home, framed in a picture. Or I've thrown it out once I got the animal back home and processed". By not having to carry all your species licenses with you, there was no way for a CO to verify the details of them.

russm
04-05-2018, 02:23 PM
I question the reasoning as well. Realistically, before going to the new tag system, we had them in the booklet and that stayed with us so no problem there. Perhaps we should simply go back to the booklet again?

I don’t get why it’s an issue now for some to have to carry the cancelled tags, the booklet had the tags in it and you had to carry the booklet with you so you still would be carrying cancelled tags.

hoochie
04-05-2018, 02:47 PM
I dont understand the cougar hunt. I thought it was a pred. And we dont eat predators. You can eat whatever you like, but I thought it was like coyote etc, you dont have to eat it if you harvest one.
Thats off my bucket list now.

Fisher-Dude
04-05-2018, 03:12 PM
I dont understand the cougar hunt. I thought it was a pred. And we dont eat predators. You can eat whatever you like, but I thought it was like coyote etc, you dont have to eat it if you harvest one.

Cougar is delicious. Put it back on your bucket list. And if you don't want to eat the meat, donate it to your fish & game club for their annual banquet, they'd love to have it.

btridge
04-05-2018, 03:16 PM
This is exactly why the reg was changed, to try to get hunters to quit hunting !

chilcotin hillbilly
04-05-2018, 03:48 PM
I believe anyone that has an online account for hunting also received an email about it. It was certainly well advertised and circulated. Your regional office knew about it. For sure.

I have an account and received no email?
I talked to the regional section head today and he first heard about it on Tuesday when he got back to work after taking 3 days off last week. You would think there would have been more discussion of this prior to changing the regulations.

goatdancer
04-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Cougar is delicious. Put it back on your bucket list. And if you don't want to eat the meat, donate it to your fish & game club for their annual banquet, they'd love to have it.

Right on. Cougar meat is delicious.

twoSevenO
04-05-2018, 04:07 PM
Who's got a quick way to strip rib meat when using the gutless method? I've never bothered since i switched to gutless method. Seems like too much hassle for little meat. But i guess i have no choice now.

358mag
04-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Who's got a quick way to strip rib meat when using the gutless method? I've never bothered since i switched to gutless method. Seems like too much hassle for little meat. But i guess i have no choice now.
Called Rib Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIDkLman-FE
Yes I hear you,for deer-bear lots of work for maybe a 2-3 lbs of tough meat . But it keep the Anti's off are back till the next regulation change .

Bugle M In
04-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Honestly, ...you don't!
Best to just cut the ribs, attach to frame, and out you walk.

What is does mean, especially when it comes to elk (talking the neck here plus ribs), you can basically say you are
doing an "extra trip" now out of the bush.
And that's probably with a hunting partner....alone??? well I guess that depends if you have the ability to pack out
a heavy load (no bad back or shoulders etc).

What is going to be interesting, isn't so much with the average moose, elk or deer hunter...IMO...when it comes to this task.
But, sheep and goat....do come to mind. (unless that is not on the list of expectations??)
Otherwise, I suppose there are going to be "claims of spoilage"....before it got out??? (not that I haven't heard of that reasoning in the past).

RackStar
04-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Never tried this..
but if you take a Olfa knife .. (pre wash any oils off blade). Find your desired depth just making it just through the rib meat. Have animal on it’s side so gravity keeps then guts down off the ribs, do one side, flip him over and repeat.

May or may not work faster. Just a thought

dana
04-05-2018, 04:24 PM

Just pull the guts when you have completed everything else and strip the rib meat going up and down each rib bone with the knife, or use a bone saw and cut ribs along spine and pack out the rib bone. No big deal. Not a lot of added weight. All that is left is just the spine cleaned off to nothing. Make sure to take a photo as some on this board will call you out if you mention the words 'gutless' and 'backpack hunting' in the same sentence. ;)

srupp
04-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Hmmm always takes photos of what uou leave..for bears..the empty gall bladder..plus the bones without meat..
Same for moose, sheep, goats..etc photos demonstrate all edible meat taken..
Great tip Dana..
Cheers
Steven

boxhitch
04-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Called Rib Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIDkLman-FE
Yes I hear you,for deer-bear lots of work for maybe a 2-3 lbs of tough meat . But it keep the Anti's off are back till the next regulation change .

and the best way to do the Rib Roll is with a blade that has a rounded tip or gutting blade like the Swingblaze or Zip-pro
You don't want to be putting holes in the gut sack while whittling those rib bones

boxhitch
04-05-2018, 04:31 PM
........But, sheep and goat....do come to mind. (unless that is not on the list of expectations??)
Otherwise, I suppose there are going to be "claims of spoilage"....before it got out??? (not that I haven't heard of that reasoning in the past).
or "we ate it for camp meat" is another good one

dana
04-05-2018, 05:16 PM
or "we ate it for camp meat" is another good one

Again, best to take a photo of this right of passage. And with an added bonus, a photo of Sheep ribs cooking over a fire can make you Instafamous. :)

twoSevenO
04-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Just pull the guts when you have completed everything else and strip the rib meat going up and down each rib bone with the knife, or use a bone saw and cut ribs along spine and pack out the rib bone. No big deal. Not a lot of added weight. All that is left is just the spine cleaned off to nothing. Make sure to take a photo as some on this board will call you out if you mention the words 'gutless' and 'backpack hunting' in the same sentence. ;)

I Got pics of every deer carcass I've deboned. Not a single one is gonna be posted on here ever. Lol.

I don't need 2 dozen angry PMs because I left 3oz of meat here and 2oz over there. Lol.

twoSevenO
04-05-2018, 11:00 PM
and the best way to do the Rib Roll is with a blade that has a rounded tip or gutting blade like the Swingblaze or Zip-pro
You don't want to be putting holes in the gut sack while whittling those rib bones

I Got the zip knife. That's a great idea. I will run that through the ribs and if you're careful shouldn't be making any holes in the guts.

boxhitch
04-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Good. Sales of those kind of blades should spike )
Might as well pack some butcher twine too, tie up the roll and be done with it

Stone Sheep Steve
04-06-2018, 04:55 AM
No issues with the changes but what happens with a gut shot animal which happens from time to time?
Ceratainly don't want to cantaminate good meat with tainted rib meat.

SSS

charlie_horse
04-06-2018, 06:06 AM
Spoiled meat is spoiled meat no? Wouldn't that now fall out of edible portions?

boxhitch
04-06-2018, 06:23 AM
The whole reg is weak, the wording was and is still vague. If the issue is utilization then get behind it and spell things out.
But likely the change is only a weak effort needed to appease a few anti-s , so no sweat was expended.

Ride Red
04-06-2018, 06:51 AM
Wouldn’t we actually need CO’s for enforcement. I think most of us do this anyway; just go hunting.

ACE
04-06-2018, 06:52 AM
A little off subject ..... apologies.
You would think that they would make the 'new' tag/licence a little smaller to fit your wallet.

houndogger
04-06-2018, 07:14 AM
It’s a good thing. I would think it was a quick change after the loss of gbear hunt.

Piperdown
04-06-2018, 07:20 AM
A little off subject ..... apologies.
You would think that they would make the 'new' tag/licence a little smaller to fit your wallet.

Bingo we have a winner, got my license the old way last year, just spent 159 bucks and got the new tags, way to dam big to fit in the wallet, another question i was looking at all the tags and i dont see an actual hunting license, got the receipt that i paid for it, does one get a printed license or is it all stored online??

russm86
04-06-2018, 07:22 AM

I'm setup for the online hunting licensing etc and never received anything about this...

russm86
04-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Bingo we have a winner, got my license the old way last year, just spent 159 bucks and got the new tags, way to dam big to fit in the wallet, another question i was looking at all the tags and i dont see an actual hunting license, got the receipt that i paid for it, does one get a printed license or is it all stored online??

Your annual hunting license is digital only. No paper copy can be printed and is not necessary.

Piperdown
04-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Thanks Russ, i liked the old way better, us old farts don't like change :)

04-06-2018, 08:15 AM
No issues with the changes but what happens with a gut shot animal which happens from time to time?

SSS

I guess I'll carry a separate game bag for contaminated meat, which will go directly into the garbage when I get home.

KodiakHntr
04-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Not having read the actual legislation yet, there isn’t the disclaimer as per previous years about meat that has been rendered unfit for consumption by method of take?

303savage
04-06-2018, 08:40 AM
I wonder if they want to shutdown hunting by over regulating hunting.

Huevos
04-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Just take all edible portions as we have hopefully always done. if they want us to take the 15 extra jerky thin meat strips between the ribs home, fine. I for one have always taken the neck meat. That is a lot of burger on a moose! I thought these guys would have been more environmentally cautious and would want us to share our harvest with the forest creatures.... selfish *******s!

twoSevenO
04-06-2018, 11:27 AM
I guess I'll carry a separate game bag for contaminated meat, which will go directly into the garbage when I get home.

I ain't doing it. I'll take a photo. Pack out what is clean and useable and deal with a CO when and IF it comes up.

Salty
04-06-2018, 11:45 AM

This. Even though its called the gutless method there's no real rules here and it only takes a minute or two to open up the stomach and pull the innards out at the end. Then just cut against both sides of each rib bone and collect the meat. I did this last year and this meat makes a killer stew btw. Or, just saw the ribs off and pack m out whole if you have the room.

Piperdown
04-06-2018, 11:48 AM
I wonder how Jassmine does it, i mean she is so smart and savy, i will wait till she tells me the right way along with her pictures of her doing it ;-)

Bugle M In
04-06-2018, 11:56 AM
I wonder how Jassmine does it, i mean she is so smart and savy, i will wait till she tells me the right way along with her pictures of her doing it ;-)

I was having a bad day....til I read this^^^...lol

J_T
04-06-2018, 12:06 PM
I have an account and received no email?
I talked to the regional section head today and he first heard about it on Tuesday when he got back to work after taking 3 days off last week. You would think there would have been more discussion of this prior to changing the regulations.

I'm setup for the online hunting licensing etc and never received anything about this...

Yes, my apologies. I checked my deleted mail and you are correct. I did not receive an automated email on this from the online system. Though automated notifications is easy to implement. I did, however receive two notification emails on it from Government sources. One being my MLA.

Gunner Staal
04-06-2018, 02:22 PM
Here’s a link to a video which shows a similar method I have found works for deboning ribs. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H_hZTVqiTxw

Fisher-Dude
04-06-2018, 02:32 PM

SSS

Your question answered, directly from the Fish & Wildlife Branch:

Hi,

The question has inevitably been asked, “What about a gut shot animal that has contaminated rib cage meat?” with the new requirement to pack out rib meat.

Logic dictates that badly bloodshot or paunch-contaminated rib meat would not be required to be removed, but is there anything in the new legislation that specifically addresses this?

Thanks.

Hello,

You have it right that logic prevails. There is no provision in the new regulations that specifically exempts a person from removing portions if damaged by the method of taking the animal. However, in common language edible means things you can eat (fit for food) and that you would expect someone would eat. It would be unreasonable to assume someone would eat something unfit for human consumption. So, for example, if the rib meat is contaminated and unfit to eat as in your example – it would not be edible. The requirement is to remove the edible meat of the four quarters, loins, neck and ribs.

Thanks for writing with your question.

rimfire
04-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Your question answered, directly from the Fish & Wildlife Branch:

Hi,

The question has inevitably been asked, “What about a gut shot animal that has contaminated rib cage meat?” with the new requirement to pack out rib meat.

Logic dictates that badly bloodshot or paunch-contaminated rib meat would not be required to be removed, but is there anything in the new legislation that specifically addresses this?

Thanks.

Hello,

You have it right that logic prevails. There is no provision in the new regulations that specifically exempts a person from removing portions if damaged by the method of taking the animal. However, in common language edible means things you can eat (fit for food) and that you would expect someone would eat. It would be unreasonable to assume someone would eat something unfit for human consumption. So, for example, if the rib meat is contaminated and unfit to eat as in your example – it would not be edible. The requirement is to remove the edible meat of the four quarters, loins, neck and ribs.

Thanks for writing with your question.

The problem is, "logic" is impossible to prove with vague legalese. Just like most laws, they should be re-written or defined so people know what is and is not allowed. Common sense is not all that common.

jtred
04-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Everyone I've ever hunted with already did this, there is a lot of good meat on the neck of an elk or moose, even a deer has a fair amount. As for the rib meat it only takes a couple of minutes to strip out and goes into sausage.

srupp
04-06-2018, 03:18 PM
Hmmm rolled neck roasts are delicious. .tasty. .the rib meat has always been sausage use..25 pounds of meat plus 3 pounds of pork..damn near 30 pounds of German dinner sausage..these rules have not changed my practices in the field.
Cheers
Steven

Pemby_mess
04-06-2018, 03:28 PM
The problem is, "logic" is impossible to prove with vague legalese. Just like most laws, they should be re-written or defined so people know what is and is not allowed. Common sense is not all that common.

You'd love it in France!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the info FD. Business as usual for me.

dana
04-06-2018, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't go by FD's internet advice. Not like that will hold up in court. 'Well judge, Fisherdude told me it was okay.' FD has offered much poor advice in the past. Just look at his 4 point muley advice he has given mulitiple times because he talked to his so-called CO buddy. I seem to remember him talking about rib meat many years ago as being the law to take out. Again, his so-called CO buddy told him so. hahaha! Oh and remember the advice that the gutless method was illegal because the entire carcus has to be removed. Or that the antlers could not be removed from the carcus either. All good sound advice from the one and only FD.

wildcatter
04-06-2018, 06:10 PM
As of April 1 we will have to remove neck and rib cage meat, the four quarters and the lions from all cougar, black bear, deer, moose, goat, sheep, caribou elk, bison.
Did anyone know this regulation change was coming down the pipe? Our regional office had no idea this was coming.

Guess not long before they want us to eat the hooves as well:)

Fisher-Dude
04-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the info FD. Business as usual for me.

Me too. Mine get loaded whole into the truck anyway. ;)

If in doubt, I always ask the guy in Victoria who actually writes the regs for the province!

scoutlt1
04-06-2018, 07:10 PM
I've always removed the neck and rib meat. Good stuff. Never shot a cougar but have eaten cougar meat. Delicious!

What bothers me about this (while wearing my little tin foil hat as they say), is that I have to question the "reasoning" behind these changes.

I see it only as making more and more regulations to wean us away from hunting.
Has the "non-retention" of rib meat (for example) from a deer, by some hunters, actually caused any issues?
Was the regulation to remove the edible portions of a cougar based on the fact that it is actually good to eat, or is it really meant to discourage the hunting and trapping of cougar because the people who are responsible for making these changes just think that it isn't good to eat? (Clearly the same "thinking" could esentially put an end to wolf and coyote hunting).

Again, I'm curious about the "back-up" regarding these changes...

As far as the question re: rib meat from a gut shot animal. It is stated in the regs that "edible portions do not include meat that has been damaged and made inedible by the method of taking". Would it be ok to say "I killed this deer with the "gut shot method"????

And oh yeah...just to throw it out there....isn't a bear gallbladder in fact, by definition, "edible"?? :)

LBM
04-06-2018, 07:16 PM
This is exactly why the reg was changed, to try to get hunters to quit hunting !

So years ago when they changed the regs so that you had to bring out the 4 quarters etc on sheep, goats and caribou instead of just one quarter did that stop people from hunting?
I always wondered why that reg was changed and who had it put in place.

HarryToolips
04-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Business as usual for me, except there sure ain't much meat at all on a black bear neck correct me if I'm wrong..

Yes, this. We did exactly this with 2 moose this year. We did gutless, then actually opened it up after to get out the tenderloins and sawed off the entire rack of ribs and packed out. Would it have been easier to do traditional? Sure, but this was WAY cleaner and didn't open up the gut sac till the very end after all the good bits had been packed out.

Kill-da-wabbit
04-06-2018, 11:29 PM
These changes just mean that these hunts cannot be referred to as "trophy hunts" as defined by the left themselves.

leadpillproductions
04-07-2018, 12:02 AM
What do you guys make out of neck meat , I tend to just burger it am I missing out

boxhitch
04-07-2018, 05:09 AM
like the rib roll, the neck meat can be taken of in one large slab, then rolled and tied
Lots of 'character' to the roast that these make

jtred
04-07-2018, 05:28 AM
What do you guys make out of neck meat , I tend to just burger it am I missing out
I cut it into stew meat, lots of recipes/dishes use stew meat.

Ferenc
04-07-2018, 05:47 AM
Goulash and ice cold beer .... lots of recipes out there .

Ride Red
04-07-2018, 06:51 AM
“The requirement is to remove the edible meat of the four quarters, loins, neck and ribs.”

We’ve always done this with our game and is the responsibility of us as hunters. Nothing new here.

Brez
04-07-2018, 07:07 AM
Honestly, ...you don't!
Best to just cut the ribs, attach to frame, and out you walk.

What is does mean, especially when it comes to elk (talking the neck here plus ribs), you can basically say you are
doing an "extra trip" now out of the bush.
And that's probably with a hunting partner....alone??? well I guess that depends if you have the ability to pack out
a heavy load (no bad back or shoulders etc).

What is going to be interesting, isn't so much with the average moose, elk or deer hunter...IMO...when it comes to this task.
But, sheep and goat....do come to mind. (unless that is not on the list of expectations??)
Not to stir the pot but who wouldn't pack the neck meat of an elk? There's 40 lbs of great hamburger or sausage there. I totally understand the ribs on a small animal - very little low qality for all of the work.

Brez
04-07-2018, 07:10 AM
Hmmm always takes photos of what uou leave..for bears..the empty gall bladder..plus the bones without meat..
Same for moose, sheep, goats..etc photos demonstrate all edible meat taken..
Great tip Dana..
Cheers
Steven
Yes, please take lots of photos - especially with good background scenery. lol. and don't forget to post.

Brez
04-07-2018, 07:22 AM
Slow cooked rolled roasts. chunks of garlic and rosemary rolled in. Delicious! Great even with bone in, although not recommended any more with the CWD spreading now. Stews, sausages, ground.

huntinnewbie
04-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Unless bloodshot, we have always kept the ribs of our deer. I cut them similar to pork side ribs and cook them the same way. Marinate in a dry rub overnight in the fridge. Then bake them in a tin foil sealed pan long and in a low oven. Take tin foil off at the end, up the temp a bit and cover with a good BBQ sauce. They are yummy.

358mag
04-07-2018, 09:49 AM
Yes, please take lots of photos - especially with good background scenery. lol. and don't forget to post.

And make sure you leave your location services on so all the gut pile hunters can hone in on your hot spot .

Kill-da-wabbit
04-07-2018, 10:53 AM
I corn the neck meat and slice it with cheese and wine.

Dannybuoy
04-07-2018, 12:40 PM
What do you guys make out of neck meat , I tend to just burger it am I missing outjust like with beef , game neck meat makes excellent stews

Moose Guide
04-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Not to stir the pot but who wouldn't pack the neck meat of an elk? There's 40 lbs of great hamburger or sausage there. I totally understand the ribs on a small animal - very little low qality for all of the work.

I have seen many moose camps with just the 4 legs and the backstraps hanging, the rib/belly/neck meat from a moose will mostly fill a rubber maid tote till I can hardly lift it(at least 80 pounds) yet has been left in the bush for years now. I have always taken all but the thin strip between the ribs, so this won't effect me much, 5 more minutes a side! I hunt to eat, so I treasure every pound of meat whether moose, elk or deer!!

Ron.C
04-07-2018, 03:41 PM
I think this is a good regulation change. With all the scrutiny that hunters are under, and on the heels of loosing the GBear hunt I think it's more important that ever to make sure we all utilize everything we can off the game we take.

Ya I know, there's the camp out there that says meat retention makes little difference in the eyes of an anti-hunter and I agree, they could care less because they want it all shutdown. But the folks I talk to that are neither hunters or Anti-hunting ALL have a problem with edible meat left in the bush to rot.

These are the folks I love to offer samples of my Bear or duck pepperoni, venison jerky to. I'm not looking to convert these folks into hunters, although that would be cool but its's very hard to do. I certainly don't want to push them toward the anti's which is all to easy to do.

100% meat retention just seems like the smart way ahead to me

boxhitch
04-07-2018, 04:10 PM
100% meat retention just seems like the smart way ahead to meBC is just catching up somewhat to stiffer regs in Alta and the Yukon, but is still weak

In the Yukon one can be fined for allowing meat to become spoiled or taken by a predator without taking precautions. So if a CO thinks you didn't try hard enough to prevent a bear from stealing meat from a camp, you can get fined. Puts a whole 'nuther level to backpack hunting.

warbird2006
04-07-2018, 04:46 PM
I did NOT get any emails from them

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
04-07-2018, 05:46 PM
I didn't either, nill emails ever. Two letters - They were requests for Hunter Survey (once again selected for Wolf and Game Bird) response, which I provided via the online option. Nothing on anything regulation wise.

Ourea
04-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Let's get Jassmine to offer her opinion on the new regs.
Be very curious what her and her team of users under the "Jassmine" handle think of this.
They should take some very good advice and film/take pictures of their kills THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN BECAUSE THEY NEVER HUNT AS RAINCOAST MEMBERS.

twoSevenO
04-07-2018, 07:04 PM

I don't hunt moose/elk but i assume it's probably the guy who just did his 3rd pack out trip that takes 2 hours each way and looks at the pile of meat in the back of the truck and goes "f*** it".

J_T
04-07-2018, 07:45 PM
I did NOT get any emails from them Please read the entire thread. Post 49.

j270wsm
04-07-2018, 07:52 PM
“The requirement is to remove the edible meat of the four quarters, loins, neck and ribs.”

I don't think there was anything wrong with the way it was originally worded. I've always understood the description of " 4 quarters " to mean the carcass has been cut into 4 pieces like a butcher would cut beef or pork. Not just 4 legs.

twoSevenO
04-07-2018, 10:05 PM
I don't think there was anything wrong with the way it was originally worded. I've always understood the description of " 4 quarters " to mean the carcass has been cut into 4 pieces like a butcher would cut beef or pork. Not just 4 legs.

No reasonable person can expect a back country hunter, who is packing his deer out on his back, to cut up said buck into 4 pieces and carry 100% of the animal (less guts) out ... that is just absurd. I think we can all agree to that.

You're obviously de-boning the animal and packing out just the meat. But now comes the problem .... how much meat left behind on the bones is too much meat? Where's the line? What about those of us that don't pack out the organs. They're perfectly edible, yet many people leave them behind.

What about things like tongue? some love it, some never think of packing it out. I don't. But am i breaking the law because the tongue is edible and i'm leaving it behind? Personally, there's WAAAAY too much of a grey area here and it's something i'll have to deal with when and IF i have to explain it to a CO. And i think it will depend a lot on what kind of CO luck throws at you.

Side story .... in 2015 I drove in to Logan Lake to fuel up with a 4 point strapped to the roof rack of my Jeep. It was covered in a tarp but legs and antlers still sticking out. Drove by a CO who was on the side of the road, texting on his phone. Fueled up, and drove by him again on my way to the highway. He was still texting. Could've had a bunch of does and fawns on there he wouldn't have noticed. lol.

I had way too many people tailgate me that trip trying to get a better look at the rack .... it wasn't even a big buck at all.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
04-07-2018, 10:57 PM

Exactly, the point is to take it all already. We don't need all these regs and various wording changes all the time.

limit time
04-08-2018, 08:04 AM
Be very curious what her and her team of users under the "Jassmine" handle think of this.
They should take some very good advice and film/take pictures of their kills THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN BECAUSE THEY NEVER HUNT AS RAINCOAST MEMBERS.

HaHa ! Look up jasmine in the urban dictionary ! HaHa !!!!

HarryToolips
04-08-2018, 09:53 PM
No reasonable person can expect a back country hunter, who is packing his deer out on his back, to cut up said buck into 4 pieces and carry 100% of the animal (less guts) out ... that is just absurd. I think we can all agree to that.

You're obviously de-boning the animal and packing out just the meat. But now comes the problem .... how much meat left behind on the bones is too much meat? Where's the line? What about those of us that don't pack out the organs. They're perfectly edible, yet many people leave them behind.

What about things like tongue? some love it, some never think of packing it out. I don't. But am i breaking the law because the tongue is edible and i'm leaving it behind? Personally, there's WAAAAY too much of a grey area here and it's something i'll have to deal with when and IF i have to explain it to a CO. And i think it will depend a lot on what kind of CO luck throws at you.

Side story .... in 2015 I drove in to Logan Lake to fuel up with a 4 point strapped to the roof rack of my Jeep. It was covered in a tarp but legs and antlers still sticking out. Drove by a CO who was on the side of the road, texting on his phone. Fueled up, and drove by him again on my way to the highway. He was still texting. Could've had a bunch of does and fawns on there he wouldn't have noticed. lol.

I had way too many people tailgate me that trip trying to get a better look at the rack .... it wasn't even a big buck at all.
Totally agree.,.like Srupp said, pics are key....

Ohwildwon
04-08-2018, 11:32 PM

I believe there cult allows them to pretend they hunt wabbit...

caddisguy
04-09-2018, 07:19 AM
I don't think the "spirit" of the new regulation is to have the connective tissue picked clean from every bone. One can fillet 95% of the rib meat off without scraping between each rib to get the remaining 300g.

As you mention, it is vague and will be up to interpretation from all parties involved. I imagine it will be tested and defined from a legal standpoint in a couple years.

Before it said all edible portions from 4 quarters but I never heard of anyone finding a little meat stuck to a bone and launching an investigation so I don't think it will be any different if there's a little tissue between the ribs.

Neck meat on moose/elk will definitely mean an extra load and limit pack hunting opportunity.

sawmill
04-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Besides, have you ever ate deer ribs? Might as well BBQ a candle. Some stuff just ain`t that good to eat. I`ll eat the other 95%. Neck meat though? I skin everything right to the base of the ears. All that meat is awesome for grinding and there is a lot of it. Hamburg, sausage .....

Wild one
04-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Sitting here shaking my head at how blind BCs hunters are

This has little to do with rib and neck meat from animals that had meat retention before this season

This is a way to sneak in a new law making it mandatory to keep COUGAR meat which in past years was not mandatory. Because majority don’t hunt cougar they are distracted by the small change to meat retention on all other species

This is nothing to do with meat retention it is a small shot at cougar hunting to test the waters of hunters opposition. Because the cougar hunt got negative attention and clearly the next target since we lost the grizz hunt

Hunters really need to open their eyes

Wild one
04-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Hunters need to start focusing on defending all hunters not just what effects them

Right now a combination of misdirection and exploitation of the hunting communities complacency is being used against us. We lost the grizz hunt because hunters believed meat retention would save it. First we got handed a meat only grizz hunt that caused a little outrage from grizzly hunters but this did little. Majority of the hunting community stayed silent because they did not target grizz. The lack of support from the hunting community showed the hunt could be canceled with little opposition hence where we are today with no grizz hunt at all

Now we get meat retention on cougar mandatory and everyone is focusing on rib and neck meat requirements ( lots of hunters already take this). Then add must carry canceled tags well we did this all the time with past license/tag books but this is domes focus. But no one is acknowledging the hunt truly being targeted

So well everyone ignores that the cougar hunt is following the path of our lost grizzly hunt what species needs to be targeted before you wake up?

Fallkniven
04-09-2018, 11:25 AM

This has little to do with rib and neck meat from animals that had meat retention before this season

This is a way to sneak in a new law making it mandatory to keep COUGAR meat which in past years was not mandatory. Because majority don’t hunt cougar they are distracted by the small change to meat retention on all other species

This is nothing to do with meat retention it is a small shot at cougar hunting to test the waters of hunters opposition. Because the cougar hunt got negative attention and clearly the next target since we lost the grizz hunt

This could well be true..why was this new reg change put in place, there wasn't a great issue(s) that stimulated it?....if you are feeling charitable, you might think the new reg change is there to differentiate Trophy hunts from Meat hunts and therefore strengthens the argument for keeping Cougar hunting, by saying that its a meat hunt and all edible parts are taken...however if you are of a more suspicious nature, you might think this is aimed at 're-evaluating' the ethic of cougar hunting....if there is evidence from the field that not all the meat is being taken (ie one or two prosecutions, or much more likely some photo's of Cougar carcasses with meat left on), then hunters are clearly hunting Cougars for trophy's not meat and therefore the hunt should be banned as with the grizzly....

Wild one
04-09-2018, 11:46 AM
This could well be true..why was this new reg change put in place, there wasn't a great issue(s) that stimulated it?....if you are feeling charitable, you might think the new reg change is there to differentiate Trophy hunts from Meat hunts and therefore strengthens the argument for keeping Cougar hunting, by saying that its a meat hunt and all edible parts are taken...however if you are of a more suspicious nature, you might think this is aimed at 're-evaluating' the ethic of cougar hunting....if there is evidence from the field that not all the meat is being taken (ie one or two prosecutions, or much more likely some photo's of Cougar carcasses with meat left on), then hunters are clearly hunting Cougars for trophy's not meat and therefore the hunt should be banned as with the grizzly....

Myself and many others ate grizz without it being mandatory and even with the grizz hunt switching to meat only it changed to complete ban of the hunt anyway

Meat retention is nothing about saving a hunt and it does not save a hunt recent history of the grizzly hunt proves this

If you believe meat hunting is will justifysave your right to hunt I am sorry to say it’s a horrible defence and can be easily discredited. Reality is we are all hunters no form of hunting is above or below the other

I don’t hunt cougar, eat what I hunt, animals I target can be from simply legal to selecting a mature animal. So I am speaking on the defence of hunters overall

Only reason for banning a hunt should be conservation concerns

Fallkniven
04-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Myself and many others ate grizz without it being mandatory and even with the grizz hunt switching to meat only it changed to complete ban of the hunt anyway

Meat retention is nothing about saving a hunt and it does not save a hunt recent history of the grizzly hunt proves this

If you believe meat hunting is will justifysave your right to hunt I am sorry to say it’s a horrible defence and can be easily discredited. Reality is we are all hunters no form of hunting is above or below the other

I don’t hunt cougar, eat what I hunt, animals I target can be from simply legal to selecting a mature animal. So I am speaking on the defence of hunters overall

Only reason for banning a hunt should be conservation concerns

Hi Wild one..sure, but to be clear I'm just speculating on WHY these reg changes might have come about...I'm not justifying them.....

Fisher-Dude
04-09-2018, 01:25 PM

You're bang on.

Horgan's looking for the next excuse to vilify hunters for his own political gain.

Weaver's looking for the next group to call "barbarians" for his own political gain.

Those two jackasses must go. Now.

Wild one
04-09-2018, 02:08 PM
You're bang on.

Horgan's looking for the next excuse to vilify hunters for his own political gain.

Weaver's looking for the next group to call "barbarians" for his own political gain.

Those two jackasses must go. Now.

And they will get what they are looking for as most worry about neck/rib meat, carrying canceled tags, or ignore it because it does not effect them

With the lack of opposition by hunters we are easy targets

Elkaholic
04-09-2018, 02:21 PM

I really hate when people jump on this cougar as a trophy hunt thing. Its a f'ing management hunt, yes people keep trophies but who cares. Its management of a species that needs to happen, it lawfully does happen, who are we to judge a fellow sportsmen if they want to keep a memento of that hunt. It's getting absurd. You call it trophy I call it necessary management of a species. And yes i do too think they went for Grizz first, now it will be cougar, black bears, wolves. They will come for the hound guys first because the non hounds guys will not care as "they aren't hurting my hunting" attitude comes into play. If we dont all stick together to protect all methods and game species as long as its being legally and ethically done we will be done for. We will suffer death of hunting by a thousand small cuts.

Wild one
04-09-2018, 02:33 PM
I really hate when people jump on this cougar as a trophy hunt thing. Its a f'ing management hunt, yes people keep trophies but who cares. Its management of a species that needs to happen, it lawfully does happen, who are we to judge a fellow sportsmen if they want to keep a memento of that hunt. It's getting absurd. You call it trophy I call it necessary management of a species. And yes i do too think they went for Grizz first, now it will be cougar, black bears, wolves. They will come for the hound guys first because the non hounds guys will not care as "they aren't hurting my hunting" attitude comes into play. If we dont all stick together to protect all methods and game species as long as its being legally and ethically done we will be done for. We will suffer death of hunting by a thousand small cuts.

This is true

Something I was told by a friend is so true. The reason many international hunting organizations stand up for all forms of hunting from high fence to the simple meat hunters is if the antis are stuck fighting the same battles gaining no ground

Too many in BC don’t understand our reasons for hunting are not important to antis you kill animals your the bad guy

rimfire
04-09-2018, 02:51 PM
This is true

Something I was told by a friend is so true. The reason many international hunting organizations stand up for all forms of hunting from high fence to the simple meat hunters is if the antis are stuck fighting the same battles gaining no ground

Too many in BC don’t understand our reasons for hunting are not important to antis you kill animals your the bad guy

Wouldn't it be nice if we had some sort of organization that stood up for the rights of all hunters in BC? One that people believe has infighting and helps the guides but, nonetheless, protects the resident hunter's rights as well. Perhaps we should focus on becoming members of an organization like that. /s

Elkaholic
04-09-2018, 02:53 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if we had some sort of organization that stood up for the rights of all hunters in BC? One that people believe has infighting and helps the guides but, nonetheless, protects the resident hunter's rights as well. Perhaps we should focus on becoming members of an organization like that. /s

I think the issue with said group is nobody has any faith/trust in it any longer.

Wild one
04-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Its needed and the lack of this is part of many of BCs problems

Bugle M In
04-09-2018, 04:18 PM
Its needed and the lack of this is part of many of BCs problems

Agree^^^^^^^

scoutlt1
04-09-2018, 06:15 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how these changes came to be.

Was there consultation with hunters regarding the retention of neck and rib meat (including black bear)?

What about cougar? Retention of cougar meat, and the above, being included in the same information bulletin as "to enforce the closure on the grizzly bear hunt" strikes me as more than slightly coincidental.

As I've said...I've pretty much always removed rib and neck meat. Never hunted cougar but have eaten it, and it's delicious.

So my question again, if anyone knows...Surely there has to be some "background" information for changes such as this to the Wildlife Act. What's the reasoning behind these changes at this time. Is there a way to find out? FOI?

Jelvis
04-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Shood eat brain too right? Liver and heart, everything else lol, some guys don't eat organ meats -- eye balls etc
Jel -- take all meat for a treat.

Lassassino
04-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Not against the law to lose a species tag after it's cancled