PDA

View Full Version : Capital Canvas Wall Tents

boonerbucks
04-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Looking for anyone with real life experience with these or recommendations on other brands, I saw these at the WSSBC and am thinking that it would be a nice addition for elk season.

plumbcrazy
04-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Mine is great. Probably 10 seasons on it now

Ride Red
04-03-2018, 08:31 PM
I’m using a Northwest Shelters 12x14 without issue after 4 seasons.

cmac
04-03-2018, 09:01 PM
X2 for the northwest shelters. Love mine used it lots no complaints.

bigwhiteys
04-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Beckel Canvas "Eena" TT tents. You won't want a wall tent ever again I promise you.

Bear Chaser
04-03-2018, 10:14 PM
Beckel Canvas "Eena" TT tents. You won't want a wall tent ever again I promise you.

These look pretty interesting.
Care to give a few more details?

bigwhiteys
04-03-2018, 10:45 PM
My Grandpa was an outfitter and they had lots of these tents (they switched from canvas wall tents)... The Eena TT are super light for the airplane or a boat or a horse and they take only a few minutes to setup. Mine was passed down to me over 18 years ago and it's still in service. (it was over 10 years old when I got it), so at least 28 years of service that I know of. I did eventually buy the extra fly for it a few years ago because we'd burned so many holes through it with fires and stoves over the years. Now it's like a new tent again. I have a 14'x14' and we've been comfortable with up to 4 people.... More like 3 if you want a small kitchen inside.

Bear Chaser
04-04-2018, 06:24 AM
Thanks. I’ll be looking into them a little more.

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
04-04-2018, 05:16 PM
My pioneer brand 14x16 is about 40 years old. Well used and in good shape.

albravo2
04-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Not a direct answer for the OP but worth mentioning that we bought a huge Costco portable garage and thus far have 4 happy seasons in it. Anybody up near the Redfern trailhead in late August knows the one.

The one we have is huge because we were 10 people but they also sell smaller ones. They are waterproof (fireproof too, i think) right out of the box and can be put away wet. No issues when using the diesel heater but when we use the wood stove we do have a problem with embers melting little holes.

I'm pretty sure it was less than $400 at Liquidation World when we picked it up but I think they are in the $600 range at Costco.

backstrap
04-04-2018, 08:34 PM
I have had a capital canvas 14x16 with 9ft ceiling and a 5ft porch, aluminum frame and wood stove with hot water tank for about 8 years. It’s great! Bought it as a complete package. I did however have to make a better flume for the stove and cut the tent legs down about 3 inches. We fit 4 cots in it just fine but 2-3 is optimal. Cots are big, way more room with sleeping pads on the floor but who sleeps on the floor in a wall tent? Sets up fairly easy, takes and hour or two with 2-3 guys to get the tent and cots set up and a fire in the stove. Very comfortable place to stay, I’ve been in it up to -25 (keep the stove going) Also, a clothesline is key, having dry everything every day is a plus. The down side is that it’s Big and bulky compared to some others. Not really float plane friendly unless you just bring the canvass and cut wood poles. Anything else, just ask.

Marc
04-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Can't beat the quality of a Deluxe Wall tent, built in BC and a site sponsor to boot. I've hunted out of a 16x14 with lots of space for 4to 6 hunters. I personally own a Deluxe wall tent in 12x9. Perfect size for solo or up to 3 people. Compact to transport with internal frame.

boonerbucks
04-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Thanks for everyones input! What size would your recommend for mainly 2 hunters and on the odd trip up to 4 hunters. Looking for something float plane friendly and/or jet boat friendly. I like the idea of having a porch to keep wood under.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
04-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Walltents are all super heavy. They're like a Safe, House whatever - Go as big as you can for the most part! From what you describe it'd work well, the 12x16 and up sizes. Not that much difference money or even weight wise for a bit more size, check out Deluxe for some really good details - The site has links from here on HBC.

blazing billy
04-17-2018, 02:18 PM
Capital Canvas made by Polar Bear are better in my opinion than Deluxe. The frame fittings are sturdier, not cast but welded.

sako79
04-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Thanks for everyones input! What size would your recommend for mainly 2 hunters and on the odd trip up to 4 hunters. Looking for something float plane friendly and/or jet boat friendly. I like the idea of having a porch to keep wood under.
My opinion whatever size of tent you think you need get one size bigger

sako79
04-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Capital Canvas made by Polar Bear are better in my opinion than Deluxe. The frame fittings are sturdier, not cast but welded.

I have no experience with Deluxe wall tents but I have to agree with you the polar bear tent is very good and I find the frame is a lot better and a lot easier to set up because it's fully welded fittings they don't fall apart when you grab one side setting it all up.

I had one of the cast frames I purchased at Northwest shelters great quality but I've always had to tie everything up if when I'm by myself because it would fall apart on me when I grab one side I ended up selling that in ordering another 10 x 12 frame from Capital canvas

JPG
04-19-2018, 09:33 PM
X3 for NW Shelters - talk to Frank, he’s been fantastic at customizing our 12x4 with an additional 8’ porch. That way if we don’t need the xtra 8’ we just grab the 12x14. Friendly service and open to manufacturing your needs. Gluck

Bear Chaser
04-23-2018, 07:39 PM
My Grandpa was an outfitter and they had lots of these tents (they switched from canvas wall tents)... The Eena TT are super light for the airplane or a boat or a horse and they take only a few minutes to setup. Mine was passed down to me over 18 years ago and it's still in service. (it was over 10 years old when I got it), so at least 28 years of service that I know of. I did eventually buy the extra fly for it a few years ago because we'd burned so many holes through it with fires and stoves over the years. Now it's like a new tent again. I have a 14'x14' and we've been comfortable with up to 4 people.... More like 3 if you want a small kitchen inside.

I found and purchased one on Kijiji in as new condition.
Was your tent canvas treated to be waterproof or does it shed water well enough to be unnecessary?