PDA

View Full Version : Penticton area question

trapperdan2061
08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I am coming up your way over the long weekend, wife will be visiting a friend in hospital, I want to go huntin is the public land close that I can go huntin at, deer, bear or even coyote.

directions would be great

Thanks Dan

Mckinney Creek Adventures
08-24-2007, 08:00 AM
Only bear, coyotes, rabbit, and bow hunting deer are open sept 1. Head up Carmi out of Penticton.

Good luck.

MCA

Jagermeister
08-24-2007, 08:11 AM
If you go up Carmi road, don't get turned around up on the top, you could end up in Kelowna or Kettle Valley. A Backroads mapbook would be helpful. Going to the SE could get you to Conkle Lake instead of Vaseau Lake. There used to be mountain goat in the Ellis Creek canyon area and of course the Californias in the Vaseau Lake area that one could check out.

trapperdan2061
08-24-2007, 09:33 PM
thanks to all of you who replied is Oakanogan or Brent mountain too far to venture.

Thanks Dan

Mckinney Creek Adventures
08-25-2007, 02:07 PM
You can access Brent Mountain a short distance from Penticton also to the west. Okanagan Mountain/Chute lake area out of Naramata is also a good area.

MCA

peterrum3
08-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Carmi Rd. is the road that the hospital is on and the other posts are right. It sounds like you haven't hunted up here before so I'll give you a spot that has everything you are looking for. Head uphill on Carmi. Once the gravel Rd. starts the km markings also start. At km. 8 there is a cattleguard across the road. Continue on for another 300 yds. and you will see a logging road on your right with a shot up stop sign. It has been deactivated but its and easy drive. Take that road in and enjoy. Lots of WT, Muley, coyote and bear in there. You might even bump into the odd moose and sheep. A few km. in you are not allowed to use a vehicle for hunting. It is still closed to vehicles from the Garnet Fire. There are some great areas to go for a walk.

Joe89
08-25-2007, 07:08 PM
I live in Penticton, Carmi is your best bet. Best place I find is to go right up to the R201, it's just past Ellis resevoir (about 5 km's past the stop sign Peterrun3 talked about). If you go left, you'll end up on Highway 33 by BigWhite. I would go right and about 4-5 km's you'll see a turn on your left called Saunier creek road, go down it, lot's of deer and bear in there.

I'll be out hunting on Sunday and Monday of the long weekend with the kids for youth season. Try me on 2 way, channel 22 0. Name is Joe haha.

Or stop by Minute Muffler & Brake on Skaha Lake road on Saturday (I'll be working until 4:00) I'll draw you up some directions.

Good luck