PDA

View Full Version : Aaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

FlyingHigh
08-23-2007, 07:31 PM
What do I do!?!?!?

The deal:
My buddy's invited me to go to Peace River Alberta for a duck/goose shoot over the Sept. long weekend. It'd be my first time ever on a "real" hunt with people who know what they're doing.
The catch: I'd have to buy a shotgun and WIN number before the trip.

HOWEVER:

The deal: Those same dates conicide with archery mule deer. I haven't really hunted deer other than unsuccessfully last fall. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I have all the required gear. And the knowledge I do have is based mostly off reading and exploring.
The catch: I'm not 19, so dad would have to be able to come along.

I'm thinking I'll go for deer if dad can come. If he can't, I'll go for duck. Suggestions?

Dragginbait
08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
I'd bet you would hit more ducks, and the deer would thank you for that too !!!:lol:

Poguebilt
08-23-2007, 07:43 PM
go for the ducks... you can hunt deer for the rest of the season later!

Bow Walker
08-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Those 'prairie' ducks are delicious. None like it. You have many, many more opening archery seasons to hunt.

FlyingHigh
08-23-2007, 08:04 PM
ok, here's what i'm thinking:

Option A) I take the two days after the long weekend off work to go on the duck hunt as planned. I come back on wednesday night. Go to work on Thursday and Friday and drive up to Cache Creek Friday night after work. Then hunt hard for deer Saturday and Sunday. But that raises this question. When the season goes from Sept 1 - Sept 9, can I still hunt on the 9th?

Option B) A much less viable option but an option nevertheless. I take that whole week off work. Get back from duck on Wednesday. Drive to Cache Creek on Thursday, hunt till Sunday.

Option c) I may be stuck with this one. Go hunting the weekend after archery season closes. But for the 4 point bucks, which reduces my chances of bagging a buck.

These all depend on dad's schedule and the willingness of my bosses.

Mr. Dean
08-23-2007, 08:42 PM
I like plan B.

If that fails...

There's always plan C

Plan A looks good but I'll bet that you will be BEAT.

Dirty
08-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Make your own decision, last I checked you were a big boy, well not that big, but old enough to make your own decision.

hunter1947
08-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Go for the duck hunt ,you won't be sorry ,the others can be put on the back burner for whenever ,you are a young buck ,lots of time left to do the other thing. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

3kills
08-24-2007, 07:50 AM
well u sound like u have hunted much at all and dont hunt much with to many people so i think i would go for ducks if u can afford it and are interested in it....on the other hand why do u have to bow hunt from the 1-9 are u not under 19? and u dont have to have ur dad alone with u u just have to have a nother hunter that is over 19 there

bighornbob
08-24-2007, 08:18 AM
How about Option D:

Go duck hunting with the experienced guys. Any trip with guys that know what they are doing and are willing to show you is worth its weight in gold for many years to come. Plus you have an excuse to buy a new shotgun that will be with you for years to come.

Stay as long as they hunt, I would not bother coming for the early deer season. It will probably be hot. Work that time and come back for Oct. 1 when its any buck again. Lots of bucks to go around and I am sure there a few guys on here that would take you out.

kishman
08-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Another vote for flatland Ducks here, that kind of hunting can be very exciting, hi volume shooting. Lots and lots of fun, you won't be dissapointed. Good luck whatever you decide!:cool:

FlyingHigh
08-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Well, it appears my decision was made for me, without my consent. :x

I had decided I would go. I even had another friend who would loan me a shotgun. We had the trip all lined up and were set to go.

Then I found out my uncle from Manitoba is coming into town for time trials that weekend. I only see this guy once every 2 or 3 years. It's apparently a big family thing now, with everyone's getting together. So, now I can't go hunting for that entire week. Doesn't look like I'll get to hunt until Thanksgiving weekend now. Yeah, pretty pissed about that one.

on the other hand why do u have to bow hunt from the 1-9 are u not under 19? and u dont have to have ur dad alone with u u just have to have a nother hunter that is over 19 there

so, does this mean that i could have hunted with my rifle and left dad back at the camp? he has his hunting licence, but mainly for grouse. he's not really interested in big game. also, i'd kinda like to shoot my first deer with a bow. it'd be a bit more of an accomplishment than with a gun. for me anyways.

3kills
08-25-2007, 09:22 AM
no ur dad has to be close to u with the a rifle but dont u know other guys that will talk ya out????