PDA

View Full Version : Fly in vs horses vs jetboat

monasheemountainman
03-24-2018, 03:07 PM
I have gone thru all the threads I can about riverjet, steam boat, and DIY fly ins.
Ive hunted with riverjet before and it was great. 2019 im going to do another trip, either with RJ again, or steamboat MT on horseback, or a fly in trip. although this time solely for sheep. of the three choices what would YOU do and why?

this is an opion based thread, no rights or wrongs although Im sure the veteran sheep guys have good reasons for what they prefer to do.

This will be my first sheep hunt.

Thanks guys and girls

Trekker
03-24-2018, 03:30 PM
My decision would be based off what range I wanted to hunt and which service got me to that area.

trapman
03-24-2018, 05:40 PM
horses and flying can get you deeper into the mountains , but I have seen legal rams next to the highway. I like to go where there are sheep and the least amount of people

604redneck
03-24-2018, 06:18 PM
If it were me I would be going via horses but I wouldn't be paying steam boat or any other packer. Would want to do it the right way and put in the work. Fly ins are fun as well though. Depends on your time line. Only got a week fly or jet boat in got 10 plus days horseback in. If you go in on horse you will want to get past where people hike to off of fly in lakes or off the rivers so it's gonna burn an extra day on each end of riding.

srupp
03-24-2018, 06:34 PM
Fly in
Steven

Jimbob
03-24-2018, 09:25 PM
horse trip for the nostalgia, that would be a dream trip to do with my Dad. I think fly in would increase your odds of successful harvest though. Just opinion not based on experience.

Deadshot
03-24-2018, 10:26 PM
Flying in, west of the trench should make for a most enjoyable first sheep hunt.

monasheemountainman
03-24-2018, 11:16 PM
If it were me I would be going via horses but I wouldn't be paying steam boat or any other packer. Would want to do it the right way and put in the work. Fly ins are fun as well though. Depends on your time line. Only got a week fly or jet boat in got 10 plus days horseback in. If you go in on horse you will want to get past where people hike to off of fly in lakes or off the rivers so it's gonna burn an extra day on each end of riding.

Sounds like a good trip. I don't own horses so would have to hire some and I don't know enough to properly care for them while still trying to hunt

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
03-25-2018, 02:23 AM
Upon moving to a smaller community than the 1milly+ areas I had been in for some time prior, I felt for walking out my door and continuing to walk until I arrived at an appropriate area to Hunt and starting doing this to get in shape. Eventually, I was bringing back Small Game and plenty Birds. So, I got a Whitetail that way, too. Now I love the non-motorized areas and walking in. So the closest to me and because it involves Horses, I'll go ahead and sign on to vote for Horses in this instance.

All sound phenomenal though - What an opportunity to even consider such great Hunts!

boxhitch
03-25-2018, 02:56 AM
Sounds like a good trip. I don't own horses so would have to hire some and I don't know enough to properly care for them while still trying to huntThe horse packers will take you to where you want to go, within the area they have available to them. They will take care of the stock and camp, leaving the hunting to you, but likely welcome any offers of help so you can get some hand-on experience too. The whole horseback adventure is more complex than a boots and brawn hunt, with pros and cons in regards to getting to sheep.
Sticking to the KISS idea, shouldering a backpack and hunting from a drop-off by boat or plane puts all the limitations on you and what you are capable of physically and mentally.

bigwhiteys
03-25-2018, 07:50 AM
Ive hunted with riverjet before and it was great. 2019 im going to do another trip, either with RJ again, or steamboat MT on horseback, or a fly in trip. although this time solely for sheep. of the three choices what would YOU do and why?

I've done all 3. Fly-in's can be pricey depending on where you want to go but it's pretty tough to beat the beauty and exhilaration of the flight in/out of sheep country. If I had access to the right aircraft it would be fly-in for me. Jet boating was really fun but we were a very long walk from sheep where we went. I would definitely do again though. Horses are the natural 4x4 but they are a lot of work and give you lots of time to think about your sore legs while you bob along in the saddle, lol. Backpacking is less hassle (less expensive once you have the gear) with yourself as the only limitation. Just walk until tired. Repeat as necessary. There is lots of overlooked sheep country ideal for two feet and a heartbeat.

03-25-2018, 08:14 AM
I’ve used Steamboat several times for sheep. Have always had a great time and the sheep hunting was always really good. We will be using them again this September for a moose hunt.

604redneck
03-25-2018, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a good trip. I don't own horses so would have to hire some and I don't know enough to properly care for them while still trying to hunt

That is fair enough. I think you would really like a fly in. Region 6 will most likely be less costly and there are good gos sheep not even a 45 minute flight from tatogga lake.

Ride Red
03-25-2018, 09:46 AM
I've never flown in, so I can't comment. I've been in on horses and IMO was one of the most enjoyable trips to do. I do have a horse phobia as I took a nasty ride on one at 4 years old (electric fence), but a good pack horse is a complete joy to cruise on. Nothing like sauntering along and being able to take everything in on the journey. I sold my jet boat last fall and am having a new one finished as I write. Boating can't take you where a horse can, but is still an enjoyable trip as long as you have water.

white moose
03-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Never hunted sheep, but did an elk hunt with steamboat and had an awesome time. Thinking the horses could get you closer to the sheep mountains. For people that have no horse experience would highly recommend going with a packer. I believe they offer a drop camp for sheep. These guys know there shit.
This being said, have never done a fly in. One advantage would be able to bring in a comfortable base camp.

hunter4life223
03-25-2018, 10:40 AM
I’d highly recommend a trip with Kevin and Riverjet.
Great guy and professionally run operation.

Jrax
03-25-2018, 11:13 AM
It sounds like your sticking to the rockies/foothills area? Cassiar is done best via floatplane with almost endless options. For rockies and foothills if choosing one of the above methods to access terrain - horseback gets you most, then boat, then plane. With horseback you can have the outfitter meet you at a location to pick up meat which is great.

SR80
03-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Ive only ever done fly in's and hike in's. But one thing that is a bonus for horses and or a jet boat is that you won't get stuck at your lake for any extended amount of time due to bad weather, when a plane can't fly.

backcountry99
03-25-2018, 04:44 PM
I haven't used horses but highly prefer flying. rivers and highways are rat races.

twoSevenO
03-25-2018, 05:02 PM
I’ve used Steamboat several times for sheep. Have always had a great time and the sheep hunting was always really good. We will be using them again this September for a moose hunt.

Do they have a website? I wasn't able to google anything.
I'd be curious to know their rates.

Thanks!

Stone Sheep Steve
03-25-2018, 05:34 PM
I can do a couple fly-in hunts for the costs of one of the other two. Can't necessarily fly far and with an expensive plane, but it can be done.

monasheemountainman
03-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Do they have a website? I wasn't able to google anything.
I'd be curious to know their rates.

Thanks!

Google steamboat mountain outfitters. They charge $450/day per person for a 10 day hunt

twoSevenO
03-25-2018, 08:17 PM
Google steamboat mountain outfitters. They charge $450/day per person for a 10 day hunt

Thanks!

(dumba$$ in me was googling 'steamboat horse packing')

Alfonz
03-25-2018, 09:29 PM
I have done the three types mentioned and will say if you are not being guided and are not a horse person it can be a real challenge for a horse hunt. Had good luck hunting sheep from a jet boat but that was 20 years ago and I think it is a little harder now. Flying I has been a good time and depending on the who you can charter now a days and where they will land can be a deciding factor. If there were no restrictions on where they would land I would fly in.

03-26-2018, 05:58 AM

I think they have different rates depending on what you want.

Wild Images
03-26-2018, 06:07 AM
Was talking with Kevin the other day
Riverjet sheep hunts are all booked up

you might get on a cancellation list but that makes plans very tough

monasheemountainman
03-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Was talking with Kevin the other day
Riverjet sheep hunts are all booked up

you might get on a cancellation list but that makes plans very tough

for 2019? Ill give Kevin a call...the horseback idea sounds fun, Im not sure what to do yet..thanks everyone

Astepanuk
03-28-2018, 01:18 PM
steamboat mountain outfitters seems like a great way to get in the back country for someone that wants to get in on horses and not have to deal with them during your hunt.

rimfire
03-28-2018, 01:30 PM
but I have seen legal rams next to the highway.

Yup. Like that beauty 3X3 whitetail I saw near Logan Lake. On the last day of season. At last light. Walking towards a thicket that we were in earlier that day.

Wild Images
03-29-2018, 06:59 AM
for 2019? Ill give Kevin a call...the horseback idea sounds fun, Im not sure what to do yet..thanks everyone

For 2018
A friend was asking so I text Kevin

03-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Any Qs on Steamboat or RJ outfitters, PM me if you like I've done both a number of times.

Nothing is is cheap these days, you get what you pay for and rewards come to those that work harder. It's all magnificent either way. I can't speak for fly ins but certainly wish I could also do this someday.

CT

Moose Guide
03-30-2018, 11:14 AM
I love horses, no loud motors to listen to, just the sound of hooves and creaking leather! When I was guiding, I flew in on a DeHavilland Beaver and guided hunts in a riverboat, I think horses give you a closer connection to nature. If you start riding now and get your butt in shape, your hunt will be MUCH more enjoyable!

LuckyHorseshoe
03-30-2018, 04:55 PM
I'm not a seasoned sheep hunter, but my vote would be fly in if you want the best chance for sheep. Lots of guys boating in, lots of areas to fly into where there's less chance it's been hunted already. The charters usually know how many guys are hunting in each area and can give you some ideas on where to go. Horses would be a fun trip if you want a few more creature comforts.

Avalanche123
03-30-2018, 05:58 PM
I've done all 3. Fly-in's can be pricey depending on where you want to go but it's pretty tough to beat the beauty and exhilaration of the flight in/out of sheep country. If I had access to the right aircraft it would be fly-in for me. Jet boating was really fun but we were a very long walk from sheep where we went. I would definitely do again though. Horses are the natural 4x4 but they are a lot of work and give you lots of time to think about your sore legs while you bob along in the saddle, lol. Backpacking is less hassle (less expensive once you have the gear) with yourself as the only limitation. Just walk until tired. Repeat as necessary. There is lots of overlooked sheep country ideal for two feet and a heartbeat.

Excellent advice that from experience...I totally agree with.

yama49
04-03-2018, 08:22 PM
All 3 have there advantages for sheep IMO. I own my own horses and a jet boat, done fly ins , been successful on all 3 ways. For big game ill never hunt without my horses till i die. Don't over think just go and enjoy, can be done everyway you listed, thats the beauty of BC!!!!

4 point
04-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Lots of work all three ways. Did quite a few flyins when I was younger. That was relativly cheap then compared to now. But got us into some beautiful country with game most everywhere one looked. You can’t loose out on a great trip anyway you go.