PDA

View Full Version : Fly-in moose hunt;looking for some advice

Alzy
03-23-2018, 09:27 PM
I’m planning a fly-in archery moose hunt out of Watson Lake into northern BC late September; I’d love some advice on good moose lakes or areas to avoid. I have two weeks, an inflatable canoe, and a good buddy who shares my passion for bowhunting. I’m researching like crazy and pouring over google earth and have a few lakes in mind. There is very little info on these fly-in secluded lakes and I would hate to pick a lake with poor populations. Thanks in advance!

eric
03-23-2018, 10:11 PM
Message Srupp, he's the Moose whisperer on here...

smeegle
03-23-2018, 10:14 PM
I spent two years in the Yukon, never hunting south of Watson Lake but north of there was quite good. I know quite a few people from BC hunt the spirit river area just off the highway. My best advice would be to find a valley with a chain of lakes you can fly into, preferably that is situated near a 5-10-year-old burn for forage opportunities. In any case bring a spotting scope, get high, glass and spot your animals and see if you can call them in. Best of luck with the archery hunt I would also suggest bringing a rifle in case you need a longer poke. Fishing for lakers and bull trout can be dynamic if your going to be camped near a lake as well and enjoy a good fish fry.

butcher
03-23-2018, 11:02 PM
Go in the rut. Go to kehdada. Kill moose

srupp
03-24-2018, 04:10 AM
Hmmmm there are lots of GREAT Lakes in that area..most all will hold moose..most won't have conflicts with first nations and most won't have other hunters..some will..bad imo.
Send pm with phone number I will give you some lakes we have harvested moose..also an idea on PERHAPS MUCH closer. .hence less expensive flight ideas.
It usually always is as Butcher states..fly in shoot moose..during rut..Sept 26...Oct 12..
Srupp

boxhitch
03-24-2018, 09:32 AM
outlet creeks on lakes are pinch points for traveling bulls
and provide great grayling fishing if it drains toward the Liard
win win

depending on choice, have an elk tag in your pocket

tigrr
03-24-2018, 11:20 AM
Pack light, more room for moose on the way out.
Grizzly eat you if you don't have protection.
Take lots of pictures!!!

srupp
03-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Hmmmmm up there..look for fog.
Big moose..1500 pounds..55..62 inch racks..
Steven

Alzy
03-24-2018, 04:34 PM
PM sent srupp;thanks!

trapman
03-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Steve is the guy to talk to

Alfonz
03-25-2018, 09:39 PM
Looncry is one that comes to mind. If you get your moose early you can head up the hill to west and chase just about every other critter there is.