PDA

View Full Version : Wolves Region 7

BearSniper
08-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Regs changes

Just picked up the Regs this afternoon and I noticed that Wolves in parts of Region 7 are now no bag limit, and open from August 01 2007 until June 15 2008. This compares with other regions which are 3 wolves.

Does this mean a population explosion of Wolves in those areas over last
year ? We got a Grizz LEH in that region for this fall so it would be nice to bag a Wolf as well since we're there.

I wonder if they're worried about the damage to ungulate numbers, though it seems the harvest numbers are the same as other regions.

I'd be interested to know what the experienced predator hunters such as
Todd Bartel & others think.

BearSniper

BlacktailStalker
08-22-2007, 04:30 PM
I'll let ya know when Im up on how many are around while culling the buggers (hopefully) with my FX5 at the end of october :)

todbartell
08-22-2007, 06:31 PM
well in my area its still 3 bag limit, and Im not familiar with the areas that have a new NBL but Id be guessing that those areas have had some hard winter kill from predators in the past couple years and the bios are not comfortable with that and are looking to take some more of the predators out. Gotta wonder how many guys see more than 3 wolves in a year, let alone kill three

daycort
08-22-2007, 06:35 PM
the bios are starting to listen tto us hunters up here and it about time. shoot every one you see. seen a pack of 17 this spring and lots of tracks all winter running winter roads. other northerners on this site will say the same thing.

Sitkaspruce
08-22-2007, 09:53 PM
To bad they do not have it for all of region 7. I am up to 14 this year and have not even started to hunt. Usually see between 4-8 while guiding. I am all for the wolves being in the ecosystem, but we need to manage them better, especially since trapping has fallen off, especially with the natives. Not as many oldtimers around to trap them anymore and the young ones are more interested in other things. We need to be better managers of predators, so we do not have knee jerk reaction when things go sideways.

Elysia
08-22-2007, 10:03 PM
As a new hunter and keen on bagging my first wolf, where would a good area be in region 7 (and I don't mean to step on toes for people's special spots). I am trying to get as much experience as possible. As I go out scouting with my hubby, we see lots of potential signs, tracks, droppings etc...wondering if anyone can help me out. We saw a gorgeous wolf last year in PG in the Chief Lake logging roads, but thought that one needed a tag...we are kicking ourselves a little on that one!! Thanks in advance for any tips!

hunter1947
08-23-2007, 04:37 AM
To bad they do not have it for all of region 7. I am up to 14 this year and have not even started to hunt. Usually see between 4-8 while guiding. I am all for the wolves being in the ecosystem, but we need to manage them better, especially since trapping has fallen off, especially with the natives. Not as many oldtimers around to trap them anymore and the young ones are more interested in other things. We need to be better managers of predators, so we do not have knee jerk reaction when things go sideways.
Sitkaspruce you are dead right on when you said managing wolfs ,you will never get rid of them but ,you certainly can control them.

BearSniper
08-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Thanks folks for the replies. I aprreciate the feedback.

Elysia, the regions are from Kinbasket lake near Valemount to the Prince George area along highway #16.