PDA

View Full Version : Meat grinder /sausage maker

scotty30-06
03-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Hey everyone...im in the market for meat grinder and sausage maker....but with so many options and limmited budget hard to choose...saw some one at cabelas for 150 which is a good price...but dont want to be stuck buying one every 2 years....any advice would be great...main use will be black bear and deer.

kootenaihunter
03-20-2018, 02:43 PM
I just bought one of the cabela's commercial grades, they're on sale right now. Probably overkill for what I'll use it for, but I'd rather not have to replace a $100 one a couple of years from now. Decent reviews on the website. Don't go cheap and you only wince once!

butcher
03-20-2018, 03:23 PM
Cabelas was junk for me. Even their best ones. Went and spent the extra on good equipment.

Chillybilly
03-20-2018, 03:28 PM
Try and buy one with metal gears if you can. Most of the cheaper ones will be plastic and that is their weak point. Check out Princess Auto.

Sharpish
03-20-2018, 03:44 PM
Anything cabelas brand is guaranteed for life. Use it until it breaks, return it for a new one every couple years.

srupp
03-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Hmm Cabelas grinder 1 1/2 hp has worked flawless for 10 years.the Dick sausage stuffer much longer. .
However Butcher is a professional.....
Steven

.264winmag
03-20-2018, 07:01 PM
My partner has this set up, works really well.

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/the-ultimate-hunters-kit/hunter-s-kit-bshunterskit

A bit of an investment but you're saving $358 opposed to buying the items separately.

two-feet
03-20-2018, 07:38 PM
Cabelas 3/4 horse has been great. I ran an entire moose through it in a sitting and it never missed a beat. Makes sausage well too. To my eye the entire unit is very well made, the motor literally weighs 40+ lbs.

scotty30-06
03-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Yea when I was speaking with the sales guy he mentioned the lowest priced one had plastic gears and all others have metal...great input...and I didnt know about cabelas stuff being life time warranty. ..that is a perk for sure....will also check princess auto as well

Rotorwash
03-20-2018, 11:56 PM
I bought a cabelas carnivore last year and its amazing. I make way more hamburger than I mean to cause its just so easy and... well.. fun. I did my 2 deers worth of burger in maybe 5 minutes the thing is a beast. it is built like a tank. as a bonus when I put it somewhere it doesnt wander off and get misplaced because its too heavy for my wife to move

butcher
03-21-2018, 12:21 AM
Find a used Hobart grinder. 2hp minimum at a restaurant supply. F. Dick or Tre Spade stuffer.

IslandBC
03-21-2018, 06:18 AM
Hey everyone...im in the market for meat grinder and sausage maker....but with so many options and limmited budget hard to choose...saw some one at cabelas for 150 which is a good price...but dont want to be stuck buying one every 2 years....any advice would be great...main use will be black bear and deer.
Save your money and get a 3/4 HP Carnivore

Gone_Fishin_
03-21-2018, 07:36 AM
Cabelas 3/4 HP Carnivore

Picked one up last fall, ran a moose through it without slowing down. Did a whole bear (6'7) in about 10 minutes.

blackhawk19
03-21-2018, 07:59 AM
You get what you pay for. These chinese stuffers will blow by the piston when making pepperoni unless the meat is full of water. It can't take the pressure . Buy Biro or Hobart for the grinder and Dick or Tre Spade hand crank stuffer . If you watch Used or Kijiji or craigslist for a used one you will be a lot happier . You also will do the job in half the amount of time

scotty30-06
03-21-2018, 08:54 PM
Think im gonna go for the carnivore. ...cabelas warranty. ..and cool name hahahha.

Arctic Lake
03-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Those of you that posted Tre Spade and F.Dick for manual hand stuffers . What model of Tre Spade do you have ? What model of F.Dick do you have ? If you purchased new where did you find the best price ?
Thanks !
Arctic Lake

butcher
03-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Bought my first tre spade used. It was the 15 lb upright for $500. Most recently I bought the 30 lb from Halford in Alberta for about $1500. They are top notch units and you’ll never need to replace it.

srupp
03-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Hmm my F.Dick was literally brought in suitcase from Germany and hand delivered to me..it will never need to be replaced in my lifetime..nor to the next owner. .

Highly recomend ed quality.
Steven

Dirty Steve
03-22-2018, 05:42 PM
Those Carnivore's give me some serious chubb.....
I have the princes auto and every time I use it I'm scared its going to shit the bed...

sakohunter
03-22-2018, 06:00 PM
LEM 3/4 hp grinder and 10lb dual speed stuffers works well for me so far. It is an investment in the forest to table lifestyle, and you can't go wrong with that.

srupp
03-22-2018, 06:34 PM
We have the Cabelas 1 3/4 hp Cabelas.. Susan hands meat into the top hopper....i push it down the tube to the grinder as fast as we can..it devours the meat..3 tote tubs of trimming..gone in under 10 minutes..no straining..no problems..i bought this one out of USA AND Dave..AKA BIGBORE" picked it up and dropped it off..like the new Carnivore design..new front cap has much better places to tighten and loosen by hand.
Keep plates knives mated. Period . freeze the auger, plate, knife for 3 hours or so before using.
Put meat in freezer for 3 hours prior to grinding..really helps the grinding process .
Cheers
Steven

Arctic Lake
03-22-2018, 06:44 PM
As Butcher posted about the Hobart grinder he's bang on they are good ,they are used commercially in many meat establishments as well as Biro and Butcher Boy and the list goes on....
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
03-22-2018, 06:48 PM
We have the Cabelas 1 3/4 hp Cabelas.. Susan hands meat into the top hopper....i push it down the tube to the grinder as fast as we can..it devours the meat..3 tote tubs of trimming..gone in under 10 minutes..no straining..no problems..i bought this one out of USA AND Dave..AKA BIGBORE" picked it up and dropped it off..like the new Carnivore design..new front cap has much better places to tighten and loosen by hand.
Keep plates knives mated. Period . freeze the auger, plate, knife for 3 hours or so before using.
Put meat in freezer for 3 hours prior to grinding..really helps the grinding process .
Cheers
Steven

Good to know about the Carnivore machines Steven ,they do look heavy duty ! Yes keeping things cold is good advice !
Arctic Lake

plumberjustin
03-23-2018, 09:37 PM
I got a Weston pro, commercial grade. Grinds meat way faster than I can throw it in the hopper. Came with 4 grinding plates and a sausage stuffing tube. Has been flawless so far.