PDA

View Full Version : Shed hike, 4 ticks. 0 sheds. Ticks are out and hungry.

lovemywinchester
03-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Went for an hour hike tonight just outside Kamloops and pulled four ticks of me. Three while out there and one in my shirt at home. I wasn't really surprised except for the fact that I was in boot deep snow most of the time and made an effort to stay away from bush and trees. Can't get away from them I guess. Time to get in the habit of undressing at the truck again and grooming like a monkey with your hiking buddies!!:eek:

REMINGTON JIM
03-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Holy CRAP ! Already ? The Wife and i were just chatting about tick med for the pooch and i said in a couple of weeks - GUESS not ! We will do it in the next couple days - thanks for posting up ! :smile:

Cheers RJ

srupp
03-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Great heads up reminder.thank you..
Lol you sure you got them all...? Lol
Steven

caddisguy
03-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Went for an hour hike tonight just outside Kamloops and pulled four ticks of me. Three while out there and one in my shirt at home. I wasn't really surprised except for the fact that I was in boot deep snow most of the time and made an effort to stay away from bush and trees. Can't get away from them I guess. Time to get in the habit of undressing at the truck again and grooming like a monkey with your hiking buddies!!:eek:

Same thing for me early last year. I was super careful not to brush up against anything... 10 minute walk, standing in 2 feet of snow out in the open and caddisgirl was pulling a huge adult female deer tick out of my love handle... not sure what it is but they love my sexy love handles... and neck... and legs. In a few weeks from now, I will be picking them off every few minutes. I spend more time looking at my pants/shoes/socks than I do looking for bears. Record is 14 in a half hour... 50/day not uncommon for me. My wife bought me white coveralls which I will probably be sporting instead of camo this season. The odd tick here and there generally isn't a big deal especially if you extract them properly within 24 hours, but once you get into dozens daily I think it's a health hazard... numbers game. The little black male deer ticks are the worst... I have busted them working their way through the threading in my socks... hard to see too until the eyes are trained for it.

You know that when you take your morning #2 and wipe and find multiple parts from multiple ticks on the TP you have a problem. There are places you can't even ask your wife to check let alone hunting pals :(

caddisguy
03-19-2018, 09:06 PM
Just to share some heeby-jeebies... like I said they love my love handles. I still have a huge welt from this thing that itches like crazy... been over 6 months!

https://i.imgur.com/pctnZST.jpg

I started collecting them... sort of like an ant farm... nifty thing I observed is that the ticks actually kill each other... had some males engorge themselves in the females and not in a hanky panky kind of way

https://i.imgur.com/rfmupIG.jpg

caddisguy
03-19-2018, 09:09 PM
I guess sometimes they hitch a ride home with me... I find them crawling up the walls... I think this one is a dog tick?

https://i.imgur.com/Kdut8QX.jpg

and on the bathroom counter

https://i.imgur.com/yTxGaDa.jpg

caddisguy
03-19-2018, 09:10 PM
Pretty big one I pulled out from my arm... was worth a photo

https://i.imgur.com/weIpJgP.jpg

RackStar
03-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Man your a tick magnet

caddisguy
03-19-2018, 09:32 PM
In Region 2 of all places...

I was watching a NetFlix show... "72 dangerous animals in central america" or something. The doctors on there were showing a way to remove ticks using over-the-counter wart/skin-tag remover.

It showed they press it down on the tick and the tick freezes instantly and falls right out. I did a google search and found a number of doctors recommending this. I wonder if it's safe?

Plucking them out by hand or gently with tweezers works good most of the time, but I have had some really stuck and leave sores that last a long time (sometimes forever?) ... really wondering about the freezing method and if it's actually safe from a lyme transfer perspective.

srupp
03-19-2018, 09:32 PM
Man your a tick magnet

That's actually really funny..
Cheers
Steven

Big Lew
03-19-2018, 09:37 PM
Ticks are an extremely tough and hardy critter. In 1966-67 I walked over on the trail to the waterfall seen
south of hwy 99 and east of Pavilion Lake very early in the year. The whole waterfall was frozen, and there
was a large fan of ice covering at least an acre, probably more, around the base and throughout the trees
and bush. I had no real previous experience with ticks at that time so was utterly amazed to see them actively
crawling all over the ice. There had to be hundreds of them. As soon as we got back to the truck we all stripped
down completely as well as thoroughly checking our clothes. We found a few on the outside of our pant legs
but that was it so we were very lucky.

lovemywinchester
03-19-2018, 11:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/us2CQL0l.jpg

lovemywinchester
03-19-2018, 11:08 PM
Camo pants are not ideal, that's for sure. I pick many ticks off as they climb up my legs. Nor is a camo pack. I might have to give in and wear some tan pants out there. Get a canvas rucksack, a Tilley hat too. I'll look like a German tourist but the ticks will be easier to spot.

Bunner
03-20-2018, 01:58 AM
A good tick is a dead tick

hunter1947
03-20-2018, 03:46 AM
Strip down when you get home look in the mirror far ticks or have someone look at the back of you,,here in the EK I have had 6 of them on me so far..

I take two small mirrors about 5 inches wide in my pack when I am by myself I hang one on a tree snag and with the other I can see if there is any ticks on my back I check with the mirror every couple hours and if I see one on my back I use a branch stick to brush it off.

One thing that helps big time is pull your socks up over your pants and tuck your shirt into your pants doing this the ticks will only crawl up on to your neck and head many of time I feel them crawling on my neck and pull them off..

I save my head to the skull no hair during shed season this helps big time you can feel over your head and deel any ticks that are on your head with long hair you can't feel a tick till its drilled into you..

I also take (Rub-A535) with me and I rub this on the back of my neck a few times when out shed hunting this helps somewhat..

russm86
03-20-2018, 07:50 AM
Treat all my hiking/hunting clothes with permethrin, has no affect on humans, haven't found one on me in years...

Jelvis
03-20-2018, 07:52 AM
---------Ticks whoa, you found em, the deer ticks, so lots a deer down low this winter in Kammy region - Ticks are like spiders, and bed bugs family - bite suck suck
-- good thread
----------------------keep up the great news information, on the local scenes, all around B.C. -- we are up to date on HBC folks -- thanks to lovemywinnychester --
-- Ticks, can paralyze you, when they suck, into, your skin, if they have trick a nosis -- you can't move, take it out and you can -- they crawl all over you, check neck
WARNING: if tick is in you, thru your skin, the head part, don't pull out, with tweezers, use a match, and burn it's butt, and it backs out. Tweezers pulls it's body off
Butt the head is under your skin and festering like Festus on Gun Smoke lol .... light match, blow out, touch match on tick's ass. Backs out. Check your butt too.
Jel -- My hunting buddies and I got ticks, some dug in -- eight legs from the spider family, -- Bed Bugs have eight legs also ---- hard to get rid of and see

caddisguy
03-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Don't burn it's bum Jelly you can catch the lyme lol ... best to extract them and then revenge kill with fire!! :)

Wayne has great tips. Shave head bald, tuck socks into pants. Never tried a535 but will give that a go! :)

lovemywinchester
03-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Treat all my hiking/hunting clothes with permethrin, has no affect on humans, haven't found one on me in years...

Hey Russ. Use permethrin cautiously and sparingly. It is a synthetic pyrethroid pesticide. Pyrethrins are one of the safest types of pesticides as our liver can break it down but it is a carcinogen. Use caution if thinking about applying it regularly or long term.

Ryo
03-20-2018, 09:02 AM
Time for my annual haircut!

boxhitch
03-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Treat all my hiking/hunting clothes with permethrin, has no affect on humans, haven't found one on me in years...good choice. I don't go out without a good spraydown with Bronco Equine fly spray for me and the dog
and no......neither of us drink it

boxhitch
03-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Caddis, found good info on freezing ticks on an Aus site where they have problems with softer paralysis ticks and tweezing
Even up here, if tweezed incorrectly, toxins can be sent into the wound

browningboy
03-20-2018, 12:43 PM
I use perithium as well in a bottle and spray on my shoes, pants etc and get a larger bottle and spray around the cabin too! The freezing thing sounds easy actually, it's that over the counter wart stuff, I remember my daughter had a wart on her foot, easy to use, about 30 bucks or so.

DarekG
03-20-2018, 01:36 PM
I've heard that tea tree oil will deter ticks as well, I'll put some on my hands and rub it on the outside of my boots and along the bottom of my pants, and hat before I head out. This thread spurred some paranoia as I was out ATVing on Sunday and had to straddle a lot of trees for the winch.

I still haven't heard a story that topped my brothers, he was out hunting and decided to nap under a tree mid-day, he woke up and pulled about 80 ticks off of himself. Don't sleep on their nests! :lol:

RackStar
03-20-2018, 02:44 PM
This thread creeps me out. And makes me itchy.

caddisguy
03-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Caddis, found good info on freezing ticks on an Aus site where they have problems with softer paralysis ticks and tweezing
Even up here, if tweezed incorrectly, toxins can be sent into the wound

I just wonder if the shock of freezing might cause it to regurgitate. I think it would have to be instant (which it looked to be from the video I saw on netflix) I checked at the pharmacy and those wart freezing gadgets are around $30 and they last for (I think it was 7 or 9) "treatments" and each "treatment" involves spraying it 3 times. On the netflix show, the tick was engorged and they did one spray... not only did it freeze the tick, but the tick popped out and went flying around inside the nozzle with the pressure from the gas. It was quite impressive... if this method is reasonably safe, it would be worth every penny.... you could remove 20-30 ticks with one wart freezing gadget.

russm86
03-20-2018, 03:28 PM
Hey Russ. Use permethrin cautiously and sparingly. It is a synthetic pyrethroid pesticide. Pyrethrins are one of the safest types of pesticides as our liver can break it down but it is a carcinogen. Use caution if thinking about applying it regularly or long term.

Everything is a carcinogen these days, especially to commifornia... Anyways, supposedly it isn't easily absorbed by the skin and our body does get rid of it easily, so having it on your clothes in low concentrations (.5% to 1%) and not directly on your skin, I don't imagine will be a huge risk. I guess at the end of the day whats worse and a which has a higher chance, Lymes or Cancer (specifically from the permethrin use)?

FYI, most military, including Canadian and US forces use this to treat all their overseas clothing (which they wear basically 365 days a year) and it is recommended by both the Canadian CDC and travel advisories when traveling outside of Canada.

TexasWalker
03-20-2018, 03:44 PM
http://www.tickkey.com/

J_06
03-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Me too, never heard of ticks on a human up here in region 7.

J_06
03-26-2018, 02:45 PM
---------Ticks whoa, you found em, the deer ticks, so lots a deer down low this winter in Kammy region -Ticks are like spiders, and bed bugs family - bite suck suck
-- good thread
----------------------keep up the great news information, on the local scenes, all around B.C. -- we are up to date on HBC folks -- thanks to lovemywinnychester --
-- Ticks, can paralyze you, when they suck, into, your skin, if they have trick a nosis-- you can't move, take it out and you can -- they crawl all over you, check neck
WARNING: if tick is in you, thru your skin, the head part, don't pull out, with tweezers, use a match, and burn it's butt, and it backs out. Tweezers pulls it's body off
Butt the head is under your skin and festering like Festus on Gun Smoke lol .... light match, blow out, touch match on tick's ass. Backs out. Check your butt too.
Jel -- My hunting buddies and I got ticks, some dug in -- eight legs from the spider family, -- Bed Bugs have eight legs also ---- hard to get rid of and see

Not really, No, ummm HELL NO, you just said that but again no, and yet another no. Wow 'looky, really outdoing yourself these days.

HarryToolips
03-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Lol I scored opposite, my and my partner found 4 sheds the day before yesterday and 0 ticks....although my nads are itchy so maybe I'm wrong...

browningboy
03-26-2018, 09:21 PM
Headed up toLoon Lake this Wednesday so keep an eye out so to speak

Ourea
03-27-2018, 09:43 AM
A good practice is to put your clothes straight into a garbage bag upon your return.
Do the same with your pack.

Nothing pisses off your better half more than bringing ticks into the house.

Petros65
03-27-2018, 01:08 PM
There is a product that I used to use quite effectively in South Africa called Tabard - its like a stick deodorant but its anti tick (lots of ticks in Africa). So you basically wipe it across your legs arms and torso and basically remain tick free for the day. I have not seen it available in Canada.

Whiterock
03-27-2018, 02:00 PM
What is permethrin,,and where do you buy it?

grizzly550
03-27-2018, 02:24 PM
Just to share some heeby-jeebies... like I said they love my love handles. I still have a huge welt from this thing that itches like crazy... been over 6 months!

https://i.imgur.com/pctnZST.jpg

I started collecting them... sort of like an ant farm... nifty thing I observed is that the ticks actually kill each other... had some males engorge themselves in the females and not in a hanky panky kind of way

https://i.imgur.com/rfmupIG.jpg

Did you see your Dr. about that tick bite? Lyme disease aint no joke

grizzly550
03-27-2018, 02:31 PM
Me too, never heard of ticks on a human up here in region 7.

All kinds in Region 8....ussually have to pick 20-30 off per season and end up bringing a few home on the gear, find them crawling up the walls etc. ....sucks (no pun intended)

browningboy
03-27-2018, 10:12 PM

bought mine on Amazon, just google it for sale and it comes up

boxhitch
04-07-2018, 04:42 AM
This thread creeps me out. And makes me itchy.well then you will like this one )
Deep Look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=_IoOJu2_FKE

boxhitch
04-07-2018, 04:51 AM
What is permethrin,,and where do you buy it?Sawyers insect repellent in the US, not allowed in Canada because Canadians are deemed too stupid to use some products safely. Same reason we can only buy 30% deet products.
Bronco brand equine spray
Picaridin is another product better/worse? for ticks than deet alone.

sawmill
04-07-2018, 08:10 AM
Me too. I`ve lived here for 18 years, fish ,hunt, shed and never had a tick. Not one. Maybe they don`t like how I smell?

358mag
04-07-2018, 09:50 AM
A good practice is to put your clothes straight into a garbage bag upon your return.
Do the same with your pack.

Nothing pisses off your better half more than bringing ticks into the house.
Or having to dig one off her back !!!!!!!!

dmaxtech
04-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Headed up toLoon Lake this Wednesday so keep an eye out so to speak

Was up there a week ago and my son and father in-law both got ticks on them the first day we were there. It was cold and wet with snow on the ground still. After the snow melted off the ground we didn't see any more.

604Stalker
04-07-2018, 03:06 PM
Got my first offical tick bite the other weekend had to dig it out in the feild got me a nasty infection/scar but stuff happends. Suprised Ive made it this long and always caught them but this bugger was 3/4 of the way into my tricep by the time I saw it how do other people usally deal with them in the feild ..aside from carrying tweazers? Because burning pulling/ digging out w a knife and cotarizing is clearly not the best method.

ACE
04-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Have taken a bucketful of them off myself, numerous dogs, and a few girlfriends ...... ;-):cool:
Small head tweezers are ideal, but fingers work good too .... better if the tick isn't too swelled up yet.
For some unknown reason, some ticks will leave a 'crater' like scar .... while others leave a barely noticeable mark.
Grab them close to the skin and pull straight out. Don't panic !
Have a Mini Schnauzer ....... a true 'tick magnet'

grizzly550
04-08-2018, 09:04 PM
2 ticks today. But also a fresh mule shed...I'll take those numbers any day.

HarryToolips
04-08-2018, 09:19 PM
No ticks but no sheds either today...

caddisguy
04-09-2018, 09:14 AM
This weekend was the first time I have been out looking for bears and have not picked up a tick (let alone a dozen) ... I was really careful, though being careful in the past, I still busted lots trying to climb up my pants. Maybe they are going to go easy on me this season.

st99
04-16-2018, 09:16 AM

what brand of permethrin do you use?

After extensive research, the best products available are not legal in Canada.

hparrott
04-16-2018, 11:13 AM
I took a new hunter out on Saturday in the fraser valley and she got a tick on her stomach. Embedded itself before she felt it. She was quite worried/upset about it at the time. Those buggers are out in full force for sure. I didn't have any tweezers or anything to remove it with on me at the time, but I had a disinfectant bleach wipe and it backed right out when I grabbed it with that.

albravo2
04-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Jeez, this thread freaks me out. Take it from me, Lyme disease is no joke. I'm 7 years in various treatments and it has been a tough slog at times.

I think the common protocol now is to run a course of antibiotics if you are bit but I'll be the first one to tell you the medical experts are figuring this out as they go. I'm on such a strong cocktail of antibiotics I wouldn't worry if I was bit but I'd have to think long and hard about starting treatment if my wife or one of my kids was bit.

Lots of people (me included) carry Lyme for years and their body keeps it fully suppressed. Then an event occurs that distracts the body's immune system (for me, concussion) and the Lyme gets the upper hand. Then you have to kill it completely and it is a sneaky bacteria that learns to hide from antibiotic treatment. It is one of the most miserable things that won't kill you.

Hadda
04-16-2018, 11:32 AM
Found one on me yesterday near Nelson. Tis the season! Tuck those pants in!

lovemywinchester
04-16-2018, 02:35 PM
I took a new hunter out on Saturday in the fraser valley and she got a tick on her stomach. Embedded itself before she felt it. She was quite worried/upset about it at the time. Those buggers are out in full force for sure. I didn't have any tweezers or anything to remove it with on me at the time, but I had a disinfectant bleach wipe and it backed right out when I grabbed it with that.

I would have treated it like a snakebite and sucked that tick off her stomach. No time to mess around!!

Here is an easy method to stop the ticks from getting up your legs. I wrapped duct tape around the top of my gaiters and caught a tick on each leg. I was pretty happy with how well it worked. Carry the roll with you and recharge the stickiness a few times when needed. Cheap tick control.

https://i.imgur.com/UiGmhyil.jpg

358mag
04-16-2018, 03:17 PM
I would have treated it like a snakebite and sucked that tick off her stomach. No time to mess around!!

Here is an easy method to stop the ticks from getting up your legs. I wrapped duct tape around the top of my gaiters and caught a tick on each leg. I was pretty happy with how well it worked. Carry the roll with you and recharge the stickiness a few times when needed. Cheap tick control.

Great idea , Red Green would be proud of you .

leannejason
04-17-2018, 12:48 AM

I agree :razz::razz::razz:

HarryToolips
04-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Good idea Winchester...who's ever had them get on to you from above?

RINO
04-17-2018, 10:16 PM

US Walmart...

RINO
04-17-2018, 10:22 PM
what brand of permethrin do you use?

After extensive research, the best products available are not legal in Canada.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sawyer-Products-Premium-Insect-Repellent-for-Clothing-and-Gear/19887389

sawmill
04-17-2018, 11:49 PM

X3^^^
If the women can`t find you handsome at least they can find you sticky.

gamehunter6o
04-18-2018, 01:33 AM
Holy cow you guys. I've just read through all 6 pages of this hoping to see a shed or two and all I've seen is blood suckers. We don't have them here in NZ but as I young fella I did get mobile dandruff off a young lady.:-(