PDA

View Full Version : Tatshenshini dall sheep hunt 2018

HunterChef
03-19-2018, 02:54 PM
I lucked out and pulled a sheep tag for the Tatshenshini 6-29 and am looking from a bit of wisdom from the experienced members of the HuntingBC community. Last fall was my rookie season and this was my first LEH I've applied for so feeling very blessed. New to hunting but not to the outdoors. I've been mountaineering/fishing/camping my whole life (currently 42). I'm a firm believer in preparation, and have spent the last few weeks researching the area, dall sheep in general and reading every scrap of information available on this sites past threads. Have also read all government counts/studies of BC thinhorns. Laminated topo map is in the mail.

My current plan is to fly into Whitehorse, rent a truck, drive down and start hiking. 2 week hunt total. Most likely going solo.
I'm looking for any inside information from members who have previously gone on this hunt. Specifically when is the best time to go. From past threads it sounds like the open date can get a bit crowded and I"m not interested in going all that way to hunt in a crowd. I've already nailed down how to access the different drainages most likely to hold sheep and have a rough hunt plan in place. Looking to fill in the details that are going to help me connect on a sheep. PM's are great.

I'll be documenting the whole process of how I'm preparing for this hunt, (gear, fitness program, shooting practice etc) in the hope that it will assist other new hunters looking to get into chasing sheep.

Thank you in advance for any guidance/ information

Hunterchef

monasheemountainman
03-19-2018, 03:30 PM
sounds like you have a firm grasp on what you need to do. I dont have any inside info to share with you but I will wish you luck and ask that you take lots of pics. congratulations. also I reccommend that you pm SRUPP on here...im sure he will chime in on your thread anyway.

cheers

srupp
03-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Hmmm great draw..thanks Ben
Pm with ph number I will call.
Steven

showtimebc
03-19-2018, 07:59 PM
first time applying for an leh and you draw that tag, very jealous! best of luck on your hunt!

cuervosail
03-19-2018, 09:30 PM
I lucked out and pulled a sheep tag for the Tatshenshini 6-29 and am looking from a bit of wisdom from the experienced members of the HuntingBC community. Last fall was my rookie season and this was my first LEH I've applied for so feeling very blessed. New to hunting but not to the outdoors. I've been mountaineering/fishing/camping my whole life (currently 42). I'm a firm believer in preparation, and have spent the last few weeks researching the area, dall sheep in general and reading every scrap of information available on this sites past threads. Have also read all government counts/studies of BC thinhorns. Laminated topo map is in the mail.

My current plan is to fly into Whitehorse, rent a truck, drive down and start hiking. 2 week hunt total. Most likely going solo.
I'm looking for any inside information from members who have previously gone on this hunt. Specifically when is the best time to go. From past threads it sounds like the open date can get a bit crowded and I"m not interested in going all that way to hunt in a crowd. I've already nailed down how to access the different drainages most likely to hold sheep and have a rough hunt plan in place. Looking to fill in the details that are going to help me connect on a sheep. PM's are great.

I'll be documenting the whole process of how I'm preparing for this hunt, (gear, fitness program, shooting practice etc) in the hope that it will assist other new hunters looking to get into chasing sheep.

Hunterchef
I look forward to following your adventure. Been trying to pull that tag for a couple years without any luck.

todbartell
03-20-2018, 12:08 AM
Lots of views, not too many replies. lol - good luck on your hunt

Cali
03-20-2018, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=todbartell;1957188]Dall Sheep in BC is a cake walk if you can draw the tag :cool:

Like Bartell says, it’s a cake walk:rolleyes:

Bunner
03-20-2018, 01:47 AM
Don't have any experience with this hunt, but best of luck to you and be sure to share some pics

digger dogger
03-20-2018, 06:51 AM
Lucky SOB, been trying for that draw for over a decade.

Skull Hunter
03-20-2018, 08:05 AM
I wish I had some info for you. I had that tag a few years ago, but a medical situation the day before I was supposed to leave kept me from going.

bloody bellies
03-20-2018, 09:36 AM

Hunterchef

PM your number, I can give a little insight, hunted that area last year

RobU
03-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Too many people searching for info.
What happened to the days where a hunter went to an area on instincts
shouldnt need to ask for advice to have hunting success. Success is the wisdom gained by by fulfilling an adventure.
Not trying for the fast track info.

monasheemountainman
03-20-2018, 12:14 PM
shouldnt need to ask for advice to have hunting success. Success is the wisdom gained by by fulfilling an adventure.

the way of the internet my friend. I dont see a problem in this scenario, not like hes asking for a place to go shoot a sheep, its a specific draw and hes asking about others experiences in the area, not a drainage to find a ram

butcher
03-20-2018, 12:30 PM
I used the same resources last year when I had the draw. Just remember that not all the information is valid and BS is BS whether spoken online or in person. There were no rams in some spots that I was told to go but there were rams in spots no one had mentioned. Certainly is big country.

Jimbob
03-20-2018, 02:53 PM

??????

You telling me hunters in the past never did any research? Never talked to friends or people working in the area? Never researched harvest data?

Man, especially for a draw area like this I think it is good to gather as much info as possible. It's not like you can spend years learning an area. You got one season to make it work.

Great first post.

RobU
03-20-2018, 03:43 PM
The internet if improperly used will destroy the way of life many of us have come to love.
My opinion means nothing in the grand scheme. But I’ve seen hunting and the way we are commonly viewed by
non hunters take a serious change for the worst.
My point is. There is much satisfaction and pride in putting X’s on a topo map by
investing blood, sweat and tears than by randomly seeking advice on a hunting forum. Taking more than one trip to have a successful harvest makes us better.

MichelD
03-20-2018, 03:53 PM
I wrote an article that was published in the February 2000 edition of Field and Stream about three hunters from BC who found a frozen body in the ice in the Tat on a sheep hunt. Turns out he'd been there about 550 years. I interviewed one of the hunters. His name was Bill. His partners were Mike and Warren. They may even be on here.

Hunterchef

pg83
03-20-2018, 04:34 PM
The internet if improperly used will destroy the way of life many of us have come to love.
My opinion means nothing in the grand scheme. But I’ve seen hunting and the way we are commonly viewed by
My point is. There is much satisfaction and pride in putting X’s on a topo map by
investing blood, sweat and tears than by randomly seeking advice on a hunting forum. Taking more than one trip to have a successful harvest makes us better.

The only specific question from the OP was about timing of the hunt. Not looking for X's, no lack of a plan on his part, just looking for some general insight from hunters who have had this draw before. This LEH tag was 17.5:1 odds last year. Not too likely you are getting this draw multiple times in a close enough time span...

Rhyno
03-20-2018, 04:40 PM

This is a remote draw with relatively low odds of getting it. Not like he can swing by to scout, most cases people are happy to help with draws like this. It's obvious he is doing his homework....get off your high horse. To the OP, ignore this clown.

Good luck on your hunt, look forward to the story.

RobU
03-20-2018, 04:57 PM
Love hearing from hunters who wear out more smart phones than hiking boots

monasheemountainman
03-20-2018, 05:02 PM

why are you here?

604redneck
03-20-2018, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE=monasheemountainman;1993786]why are you here?[/

Why are you here?

todbartell
03-20-2018, 05:31 PM

https://flashbak.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/FBI.gif

Jelvis
03-20-2018, 05:46 PM
Sounds like Rob U, is a little bit envious, of the lucky ram draw, our buddy, got!
-- HBC is known for it's sharing with hunter's -- we are hunter's first b4 anything else on HBC
-- we are members who stick togedder and help each and every hunter seeking information -- we get excited when our members have success.
HBC is being watched by many people, and some see their place they hunt talked about, and it makes their skin crawl.
-- yet we share because some of us are elderly and experienced, right down to newby's, the older can share the real things about a certain area.
Jel -- HBC provides hours of fun and entertainment, plus real hunting spots -- and real hunting techniques for all animals on the BC hunting regs and LEH

RobU
03-20-2018, 05:56 PM

monasheemountainman
03-20-2018, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=monasheemountainman;1993786]why are you here?[/

Why are you here?

Are you bored up north cuz you have no job buddy lol come on hbc and look for fights lol go to work you have a family to support ��

CheesyLimper
03-20-2018, 06:47 PM
You've posted more on this thread than anyone else...

Caribou_lou
03-20-2018, 07:08 PM
You've posted more on this thread than anyone else...

His first 4 posts...

Jimbob
03-20-2018, 07:16 PM

You are what's wrong with internet forums. Coming on here spewing your negativity and wearing your holier than thou attitude is exactly what weakens the community of hunters. Actually really sad if you cannot see this. It is so blatant that I have to conclude you're just a troll.

CheesyLimper
03-20-2018, 07:37 PM
I lucked out and pulled a sheep tag for the Tatshenshini 6-29 and am looking from a bit of wisdom from the experienced members of the HuntingBC community. Last fall was my rookie season and this was my first LEH I've applied for so feeling very blessed. New to hunting but not to the outdoors. I've been mountaineering/fishing/camping my whole life (currently 42). I'm a firm believer in preparation, and have spent the last few weeks researching the area, dall sheep in general and reading every scrap of information available on this sites past threads. Have also read all government counts/studies of BC thinhorns. Laminated topo map is in the mail

Hunterchef

Good luck on the whole thing; i've never been up there but would love to go and am looking forward to the story. This site is a great resource for hunters both new and experienced, and I think it's great that you're planning on adding to the knowledge.

nature girl
03-20-2018, 07:59 PM
If you are going solo definitely leave a detailed map of the area you plan to hunt and give it to a spouse or friend.
And best of luck to you.

Hidehanger
03-20-2018, 09:12 PM
Just remember that if you are successful, you have to get a CI done and horns pinned before you can take the ram out of province (if you re flying), or maybe you have to pre-arrange an export permit? There is a CI contractor in Atlin that could do it for you, but you have to plan for that drive. I know a guy who a few years back did the same plan as you (fly/rent/drive) and he got the export permit in anticipation just in case he couldn't get the CI done in BC before his flight home. Maybe check with the ministry or permit people...

HunterChef
03-20-2018, 10:00 PM
Being positive and kind to others will always pay back dividends in your own life, so thank you to everyone who has been supportive with their comments and generous with their advice (especially Steven). Given the current cultural and political climate hunters need to stick together and support one another more than ever.

There's so much planning that goes into a remote hunt like this and things are shaping up nicely. Can hardly wait!

Thanks again,

Hunterchef

604redneck
03-20-2018, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=604redneck;1993788]

Are you bored up north cuz you have no job buddy lol come on hbc and look for fights lol go to work you have a family to support ��

Lol you got me. Except I have an excellent job at the local Timmy ho's

srupp
03-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Hmmm it really is a science to pack proper gear for a pack in sheep hunt..proper gear makes or breaks these efforts..
Boots well broken in..optics will save 100 kms over the course of 2 week hunt..tent..mountain hardware etc..hiking poles..headlamps..gold bond. .moleskin..pack enough food..depleted energy levels due to inadequate energy intake..range finder..scale is difficult to determine in mountains..good accurate medium rifle for shots on 300 pound animal out to 400 yards.
On this hunt..when..is as important as where...for reasons that may surprise you.
Really important on leaving your hike plan...as well as when you are overdue..in reach. .or SPOT.
Or sat phone..it must be reliable..
Important..this area has a incredible ..unbelievable concentration of grizzly bears..not so bad in sheep areas early..but they are there..be cautious..
Have fun..most fun you can have..with your clothes on..lol
Steven

monasheemountainman
03-20-2018, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=monasheemountainman;1993807]

Lol you got me. Except I have an excellent job at the local Timmy ho's

Haha love you

bloody bellies
03-21-2018, 03:14 PM
Just remember that if you are successful, you have to get a CI done and horns pinned before you can take the ram out of province (if you re flying), or maybe you have to pre-arrange an export permit? There is a CI contractor in Atlin that could do it for you, but you have to plan for that drive. I know a guy who a few years back did the same plan as you (fly/rent/drive) and he got the export permit in anticipation just in case he couldn't get the CI done in BC before his flight home. Maybe check with the ministry or permit people...

you don't need an export permit, you are traveling from bc to bc, went through this last year, talk to jeff piewick out of atlin, he's the conservation officer for 6-29 if you have questions, you also have so many days to get the inspection done if you harvest 1.

bloody bellies
03-21-2018, 03:16 PM
pack baby wipes, they work awsome

srupp
03-21-2018, 03:27 PM

Wow there is a jem" yes yes yes..
Steven

Bear Chaser
03-21-2018, 09:33 PM

Love my baby wipes.

Jrax
03-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Last year I tried de-hydrating the wipes by leaving the package open then rehydrating as needed and it worked great.

srupp
03-22-2018, 03:24 PM
Last year I tried de-hydrating the wipes by leaving the package open then rehydrating as needed and it worked great.
Wow..gotta say..THAT my friend is THE hard core tip of the century..yup hard core.
Cheers
Steven

Fred1
03-22-2018, 03:45 PM
Oh man! I don't know squat about that area .... yet. But I would try and fly into a lake and hike from there. Ya go solo! I do two week solo stone hunts and its awesome! Best hunt ever! Wen I go on my Dall hunt I wont come back till I have one. Yes yes I know... ;)
Good luck!! (dehydrated wipes... great idea, maybe ill have to do that on my three week solo hunt)

srupp
03-22-2018, 04:12 PM
Hmm 628..ya maybe do the fly in scene..but 629 not so much..can be done but not by floats..lol..but still by plane.
Cheers
Steven

Backcountry Hunter
04-15-2018, 04:33 PM

You sir are the reason this site has gone downhill. Just do everyone a favour and flock off

srupp
04-15-2018, 05:23 PM

Sorry my friend ..we all have to do our due diligence. .read old articles..hint..Jack O conner..yes look at maps. Study them repeatadly.but then go the next step talk to hunters who have been successful. ..and those who had a successful trip and may not have harvested an animal.
We do have an advantage today with being able to access 100's of times more information thats much more recent than in the past..by computer..telephone..its just a different way to track down that information.
What do you suggest to do ? Take 2 weeks off work..drive from Vancouver to the Yukon and back down the Haines..snow being there till june..so you duggest spending a extra 2 weeks..extra $2,000..head home and go back to hunt in 8 weeks..double the cost double the fun.
It does work for closer hunts I am constantly doing repeated scouting trips for grizzly, black bear, deer..moose..but unfortunately repeated trips to the Yukon..are not the same.
The season is only so long..why not ask others early..middle..late..why or why not..
In the end the hunter has to make decisions based on the collective knowledge he collects, however it is collected .
I have been doing this hunting thing for over 40 years..im still learning asking questions making phone calls..sending emails
Sometimes repeating mistakes and not learning from that..is mearly wasting time.
Good luck in your hunting season.
Cheers
Srupp

44inchStone
04-24-2018, 09:34 PM
Lots of Grizz up there. If you're going solo. Watch yourself!! AND bring a few extra rounds with you. Good luck !!

srupp
04-24-2018, 10:11 PM
Lots of Grizz up there. If you're going solo. Watch yourself!! AND bring a few extra rounds with you. Good luck !!

Very good information..true and important..
Srupp

264mag
01-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Boot this thread back up. How did the lucky tag holders do in 2018.
This the season to start thinking about it,,,,,

cuervosail
01-15-2019, 10:47 AM
Last year I tried de-hydrating the wipes by leaving the package open then rehydrating as needed and it worked great. This was a great tip! I did the same this past fall for my sheep hunt. It worked like a charm!

boxhitch
01-15-2019, 05:34 PM
Boot this thread back up. How did the lucky tag holders do in 2018.
This the season to start thinking about it,,,,,
over 2 dozen permits last year, likely less than 30% participation

sizedoes matter
01-29-2019, 12:20 AM
So did this hunt happen?

albravo2
02-07-2020, 07:37 PM
bumping this up because i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get this draw when LEH closes tonight.

i don't want honey holes, but i do want coordinates of book rams and easy access in instructions please. i don't want to walk too far. definitely don't want to get wet either, so please consider what the weather will be when you send me information.

humour aside, i wonder if this hunt ever happened. I think the OP is still on here. A story would be great, even (especially?) if no critters got shot in the making of the story.

srupp
02-07-2020, 11:40 PM
The last 2 years have seen an incredible uptick in pressure in the area..especially from Stanley creek.Kelsell lake area..both native hunters and resident hunters.
last 2 years know of 3 rams harvested..between 6.28 6.29..a couple of close bear encounters and a sheep hunt that had more twists and turns than 33 feet of intestine.
This hunt one thinks if not east in the rock pits should be easy ? Like how hard is it to find a 275 pound pure white animal with lemon colored horns amid green grass blue skies..lol
Of all hunts. .guys who shot sheep there decades ago...once disturbed they pull a Houdini...so most attempt to be in before opening day only to find a group of guys at the parking lot..
However each year has differences....
3 hunters ago I chatted with Chris...on my thoughts for 629.. he seperated from the group headed towards G Valley..opening Chris and his brother shot a unique ram..13 year old ram first day ..opening morning..couple years earlier two rams harvested nearby.
Same deal with a drainage in 6 28 but THERE I do have some idea why it holds dall sheep..lo
Would still like some of the hunters to post their rams here..ESPECIALLY last years hunter...but most..all insist not.
Still in spite of the Grizzly concentrations..non agressive for the most part..still beautiful and stunning hunting..Kelsell for moose can be productive too.
Cheers
Steven

decker9
02-08-2020, 06:31 AM
I’m curious to hear as well. A good friend pulled a 11 year old 39” from 6-29 last season, on a solo hike in mission. Not an easy hunt from what I hear.

HunterChef
02-09-2020, 09:54 AM
I did go and will definitely go back. 14 days solo in some incredible country. 12 rams located with none of them making full curl. Could not turn up any of the big boys. Also saw some giant moose (do they count as Alaska / Yukon sub-species), grizz and a nice billie goat who ended up coming for a back pack ride home with me. I've given up trying to post pics on this site so you'll have to trust me on the goat. PM me if you pull this tag and I would be happy to pass on what I learnt on my hunt.

VLD43
02-09-2020, 02:39 PM
I did go and will definitely go back. 14 days solo in some incredible country. 12 rams located with none of them making full curl. Could not turn up any of the big boys. Also saw some giant moose (do they count as Alaska / Yukon sub-species), grizz and a nice billie goat who ended up coming for a back pack ride home with me. I've given up trying to post pics on this site so you'll have to trust me on the goat. PM me if you pull this tag and I would be happy to pass on what I learnt on my hunt.

My friend was up there in 2019 with his daughter. Their trip sounds pretty much like yours. If you don't mind me asking, what time of year did you go. They were up there the middle of August just before the big snow dump.

HunterChef
02-11-2020, 10:10 AM
First 2 weeks of August

Beavreader
04-05-2020, 07:12 PM
I don't know much about the area but I was looking at the maps and Google earth (dreaming of a draw one of these days) why do you say afloat plane can't get you in there?