PDA

View Full Version : Heavy snow year = good bear hunting

two-feet
03-18-2018, 06:41 PM
In years past with heavy snows I have noticed that the bears will be forced to follow the snow pack as it recedes up in elevation. The restricted food source will have bears stacked up making for great days if you can hit the right elevation.

This late spring will make for hungry bears!

srupp
03-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Hmmm bears now be I g restricted to black bears.
Yes south facing slides not occupied by mythical grizzly bears..however lower elevation cut blocks offer some great hunting.
The cut off stumps hold heat..melt better longer grows green faster..as well as wide open cuts allow faster melt..first green.
Blacks don't hibernate high..lower benches..
I agree..eliminating lots of deep snow up higher..indeed will concentrate the bears..
Steven

caddisguy
03-18-2018, 08:16 PM
Still a couple feet of snow in my spot... dang near the valley bottom. Either they sleep in or they hit the skunk cabbage hard. There's no other food. I am going to wait a few weeks.

srupp
03-18-2018, 09:00 PM
Hmmm up here going to be first week of may ? Optimal...?
Srupp

Wild one
03-18-2018, 09:10 PM
First week of May is when I start early or late spring find most don’t start moving till then

Late spring is best because less food so bears are not so spread out

russm86
03-19-2018, 09:02 AM
We had lots of snow last winter and it was the worst spring bear hunting I've seen in a long time. Access was difficult due to snow and snow drifts (got stuck in one in June) so the bears could get up to the small green patches up higher before we could and then it heated up so quick that everything melted and greened up at the exact same time so they all spread out like a shotgun pattern at 100 yards. Got a feeling this year will be similar but I've found a couple lower areas I might try that may have green spots and easier access earlier.

hunterdon
03-19-2018, 12:18 PM
I agree with Srupp. When it comes to spring black bears, think low elevation. Normally the first week of May is a good choice, at least in the interior. In addition to south facing slopes, scout the low elevation logging roads, especially those less traveled on and close to creeks/rivers, as they tend to green up first. Remember the bear's mind is on finding food. Follow their food source available at that time of year and you will find bears. Hint, they love to eat flower heads such as dandelions. And early spring when the sap starts to flow, they will rip the bark of pines to get at the sap.

In addition to some good eating meat, my thoughts are that should you choose to keep the hide also, this may be an exceptionally good year in that if the forecast holds true, that is they expect a later and colder than normal spring, the hide will be really nice. In a warm spring, bears will start rubbing their hides early making for a poor hide. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Steelpulse
03-19-2018, 01:58 PM
I'm just ready to get back on the bush so I'll be out in first 10days of April just scouting etc if I see one maybe I shoot but probably not. Look for some sheds and just get a general lay of the land since fall, will probably be walking most roads still lots of snow

skibum
03-19-2018, 03:28 PM
I asked a CO why I was not seeing many bears (last summer at a fish check). He said that bears in the area (Kamloops) were not use to the long winter we had and that he thinks a bunch died in den. He gave some example of poor condition bears that he ( and other hunters) had run into.

Now I would think this winter was just as long and tough on bears as the 2016/17 winter?

Any guesses on how they did over this winter this year?

caddisguy
03-19-2018, 04:53 PM
I asked a CO why I was not seeing many bears (last summer at a fish check). He said that bears in the area (Kamloops) were not use to the long winter we had and that he thinks a bunch died in den. He gave some example of poor condition bears that he ( and other hunters) had run into.

Now I would think this winter was just as long and tough on bears as the 2016/17 winter?

I think this winter was longer than the last and both of these long winters were proceeded by very long/dry summers. I imagine that some of the berry spots bears are used to were spotty at best... it is also possible that some salmon could not make it all the way down the tributaries to spawning destinations were some bears are used to picking them off.

To me it seems like it would be tough conditions two years in a row. Perhaps this is what made one of my local bears become a nuisance around my camp.

As far as numbers are concerned, I think I saw a few more bears in 2017 than I did in 2016 in my area (Fraser Valley were temps are a little more moderate) It's amazing how resilient they are... which is probably why their numbers are so high and they cover most of the province.

My guess is there will still be a crap-ton of bears this year for me. The one I got last year in May had a lot of fat on him. Other areas in BC could vary.

huntinnewbie
03-19-2018, 05:57 PM
Saw an article today that said they are out in the Merritt area.

two-feet
03-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Well hopefully everbody gets into them thick. Not sure I will take a spring bear, I find the meat superior in the fall

dana
03-19-2018, 07:51 PM
I have not experienced good bear numbers post long winters in the past. Actually have seen the opposite with dramatic drops in sightings. Den death is quite common on these long winters, particularly if they went into the winter on a poor feed like we have in a drought year.

HarryToolips
03-19-2018, 08:06 PM

I would say longer and harder, and with the poor berry crop we had last year, bear season my not be that productive....the good news is, that will be good for fawn survival...

RyoTHC
03-19-2018, 08:45 PM
Saw an article today that said they are out in the Merritt area.
Care to share the link?

Thanks

TyTy
03-27-2018, 10:14 PM
Last year, the snow definately stuck around longer in the higher elevations and the berries were started/finished a week off the average on both ends of the season, coupled with the hot summer creating a smaller yield. I didn't see many bears, but where i did, I often saw more than one, in areas that did have berries. The wet Junes hinder early growth, and overly hot July and August shirivel berries, killing the fall crop.

Heard today a guy at work fell through the rotten snow this last week and into a den, jumping the bear out of it. Southern interior.

srupp
03-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Hmmmm think like a black bear..= food..green..low elevation this year..think horsefly lake..all around the lake..big area . same for Quesnel Lake. .I'm actually changing my bear hunting location this year to Horsefly Lake area..more open areas that grow grass.may check in @ lemon lake for that BIG red bruin..however having sold my quad..gonna be some changes..lol..
Most snow in 20 years..eliminate high mountain areas. .ie Cunningham pass area..until? Last week of season for meat bear..hide wil be toast.
Good luck to all.
Anyone needing grizzly help..don't hesitate.
Steven

RyoTHC
03-28-2018, 12:01 AM
Well, drove 600km on a scouting adventure today through a bunch of zone 3 and 8.... Alot of snow.. though the animals are dense in the open spots.. saw 7 moose, 8 bighorn sheep an elk and dozens of mule and white tail... No darn bears though! Fingers crossed.

Steelpulse
03-28-2018, 12:38 AM
I'll be out on southern region 8 next week after my move. Anyone got a snow report from princeton, copper mine, whipsaw, Sunday summit.

RyoTHC
03-28-2018, 08:59 AM
Lots of snow in most areas down that way. The odd basin and valley has thawed but no sign of bear in the areas I was this week.

Gateholio
03-28-2018, 09:06 AM
I'm looking forward to shooting a nice meat bear this year. Something in the 5 foot range with lots of meat and fat but not a bug old boar like I usually target. I just want to make some ground meat, sausage, bacon etc. I really don't care about the rug anymore. Although who knows if I see a nice 7 fter....:)

bigredchev
03-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Hmmmm think like a black bear..= food..green..low elevation this year..think horsefly lake..all around the lake..big area . same for Quesnel Lake. .I'm actually changing my bear hunting location this year to Horsefly Lake area..more open areas that grow grass.may check in @ lemon lake for that BIG red bruin..however having sold my quad..gonna be some changes..lol..
Most snow in 20 years..eliminate high mountain areas. .ie Cunningham pass area..until? Last week of season for meat bear..hide wil be toast.
Good luck to all.
Anyone needing grizzly help..don't hesitate.
Steven

I'll be up this area for the second week in may. I'll report back conditions and sightings.

scotty30-06
03-28-2018, 07:19 PM
Man any thread I read about bears just gets me so damn excited hahah

The_Bear_Man
03-28-2018, 08:16 PM
Saw my first grizzly tracks today. Region 7a. Still early for black bears but grizzlies are waking up! Looked like a sow with cub from the tracks.

WWBC
04-01-2018, 09:33 AM
Any thought as to weather mid April will be to early to find bears region 5?

Got a bunch of time off mid April and then again in Mid May.

Would mid April be too early?

thanks

RyoTHC
04-01-2018, 09:39 AM
I've seen the odd black bear strolling around in southern zone 3 over the past two days... May be a good sighn of things to come.. our days are warming up here but still nights below zero.. doesn't help get rid of the snow at elevation.

leadpillproductions
04-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Geez we still have a few feet of snow wtf lol

srupp
04-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Any thought as to weather mid April will be to early to find bears region 5?

Got a bunch of time off mid April and then again in Mid May.

Would mid April be

thanks

Williams lake got 4" this morning..thinking mid april too early
Srupp

IronNoggin
04-01-2018, 12:01 PM

17 degrees on the back deck in the shade day before yest.
Only up to 14 yesterday.
Valley bottoms getting damn close to green-up.
The Big Boy I told you about made another appearance of late.
But unless he becomes a problem, I intend to wait until he fattens up in the fall.

Looking half decent for a little earlier start this year on The Rock...

Stay Warm Buddy! ;-)

Cheers,
Nog

LYKTOHUNT
04-01-2018, 12:11 PM
Srupp
I am with you on this although as it never seems to stop snowing it might be August before we can get out around here:wink:

BChunter1982
04-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Anyone ever BB hunt Naramata area early season? Never been around there but its all south facing area that's central okanagan. Going for a drive today to that area and maybe Oliver area, new to us and want to explore a bit. Unsure of access with the snowpack this winter. And tips on roads that may have some access for a 4wd truck so I don't waste my time.

hunter1947
04-04-2018, 04:29 AM
I saw grizzly tracks from a big boar two weeks ago outside cranbrook out and about good thing i never saw him..