PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Adopts New Shed Hunting Regulations

Fisher-Dude
03-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Nevada Adopts New Shed Hunting Regulations

https://elknetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/sheds-1125x547.jpg

Seeking to better allow elk and deer in eastern and central Nevada to winter, the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commissioners approved a new regulation that prohibits the gathering or taking of shed antlers from public land in Elko, Eureka, Lander, Lincoln, Nye or White Pine counties from January 1 – April 30 each year.

The regulation originated from petitions coming out of the eastern Nevada County Advisory Boards to Manage Wildlife (CABMW). These eastern Nevada CABMW have the most concentrated deer and elk winter ranges, most severe winters, and the heaviest shed hunting pressure. Shed hunting is still open year-round in the other 11 counties in Nevada.

As shed hunting becomes more popular each year, mounting pressure from shed hunters has forced animals to move onto sub-par habitat and expend crucial energy reserves during critical winter months.

Shed hunting is also creating increased traffic around big game winter ranges and results in habitat impacts and road degradation on both private and public lands. It was the combination of animal disturbance and habitat degradation that was the basis for the regulation.

https://elknetwork.com/nevada-adopts-new-shed-hunting-regulations/

Busterpayton54
03-14-2018, 12:08 PM
Tough call. I see both sides of this.

kootenaihunter
03-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Commodification of anything usually leads to trouble, although I do see the fun in it.

I wonder if a lot of them will still be useful after they begin to bleach and get gnawed on by critters.

Bugle M In
03-14-2018, 12:32 PM
I could see myself being in support of it.

Mulehahn
03-14-2018, 12:37 PM
They saw a problem and addressed it. Good for them. The article says the other counties ate still open, but probably just not as easy. I do wonder how much industry, if any, takes place over winter in that county though.

limit time
03-14-2018, 12:41 PM
I’d rather see a pic of the mass amounts of shed hunters... than a couple sheds...and soon to come, no access at all !

Jelvis
03-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Sounds like, too many looky loos, showed up and caused tooo much attention, that's what happens at Thrift Stores too after a while. Everyone shows up and bye bye.
Jel -- people hear and then they come --Went from Racks n Bone to Brooks and Done!

dana
03-14-2018, 05:22 PM
FD you should be right on top of this. New proposals being written by Patty as we speak. Some states are even issueing shed hunting tags. Just think of the lost money that the Fed could come up with to finance Habitat, Habitat, Habitat. Too bad you are 15 years too late. Shed hunting is a thing of the past. No sheds to pick up when the province is void of wildlife. You even managed sheds to zero. Good job man.

limit time
03-14-2018, 05:56 PM
FD you should be right on top of this. New proposals being written by Patty as we speak. Some states are even issueing shed hunting tags. Just think of the lost money that the Fed could come up with to finance Habitat, Habitat, Habitat. Too bad you are 15 years too late. Shed hunting is a thing of the past. No sheds to pick up when the province is void of wildlife. You even managed sheds to zero. Good job man.
just couldn’t help your self eh ?

dana
03-14-2018, 09:22 PM
just couldn’t help your self eh ?

Last year I picked up my first mule deer shed of the year in Nov. i don't think a shed season would affect me whatsoever. Used to be one of my favorite past times. Now, just a bunch of good memories of days gone by. I had many years in the 90's and 2000's where I found yearly counts of over 250. Now, i'm lucky to bring home 10 in an entire year. You think we need a shed season?

HarryToolips
03-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Tough call. I see both sides of this.
Same here....I agree with a shed hunting reg in certain parts of core winter range, but I see an even greater threat to wintering ungulates from increased housing development that goes on, especially in region 8...to be honest, when I'm out shed/pred hunting on what you would think would be the busiest day of the week (usually go out saturdays) for that, I rarely see anybody, I honestly think most people are too lazy, or disinterested in hiking around and shed hunting, I just don't see it as big of a deal in BC compared to many parts of the USA...

Chopper
03-14-2018, 10:03 PM
Deer are pressured every single day by logging and predators, They do just fine.

Next it will be mushroom pickers and so on ...

This is stupid idea ... Frankly, Id be dead against it

IslandWanderer
03-14-2018, 10:06 PM
Are the sheds a needed part of the ecosystem? For example, calcium/minerals for rodents that chew them?

Walking Buffalo
03-14-2018, 10:11 PM
Are the sheds a needed part of the ecosystem? For example, calcium/minerals for rodents that chew them?

This concern has been identified and satisfied.

Predator numbers are to be managed so that there will be enough bones laying around for the rats.

Chopper
03-14-2018, 10:22 PM
This concern has been identified and satisfied.

Predator numbers are to be managed so that there will be enough bones laying around for the rats.

Touche !!!!!

Elkaholic
03-15-2018, 12:03 PM
My thoughts on it are there are certain times of the year, like right now for example where the game really doesn't need to be pushed around any more then they are in this snow to try and get food. Other than that I really do not care what people do with sheds. Maybe they just say April 1st its fair game.

Salty
03-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Nevada and BC are two different animals. If there was evidence of too many shed hunters pushing wintering deer around in BC I'd be for a similar rule. But there isn't. Nevada is a small state, population of 3 million or so. But its next door to California. Hello?

Bugle M In
03-15-2018, 12:19 PM
My thoughts on it are there are certain times of the year, like right now for example where the game really doesn't need to be pushed around any more then they are in this snow to try and get food. Other than that I really do not care what people do with sheds. Maybe they just say April 1st its fair game.

That's my thoughts, and the sheds will still be in great shape...IMO.
Might make it a little harder to spot them, since the snow may have melted away, so they blend in with the ground.
But, I suspect many who do this as a past time use dogs anyways?
Honestly, why not "shoot some preds" instead during the time, since most of that is done from the road.

I will say this though, I sure don't find the sheds like I used when I am there in November.
Very few as compared to before, and not as big as in the past.
But, I can't say whether someone else has been there in the spring hunting for those sheds, who never did back when I found
so many, or, is it a drop in #'s??
To be honest, when I hunt mulies come November, same area, every season, the #'s seem to be consistent, and the fawn/doe looks really good.
There sure has been a lot less snow, so I wonder if the bucks just don't hang as low as they used come the time they drop their antlers, and are dropping them elsewhere?
Time will tell I guess.
I know some are concerned that wolves are doing damage.
I know I am starting to have concerns as well in that area I hunt mulies now as well.

So, why hassle the deer more then they already have to deal with at this time of season, is my thoughts.
Shoot some Preds instead!

Fisher-Dude
03-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Wyoming also has specific seasons and areas for shed hunting.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH61

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Regulations/SLB_ANTLERHUNTING_RESTRICTIONS.pdf

Montana closes down winter ranges for all uses after hunting season, until May or June.

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/fishAndWildlife/nr_0615.html

I don't favour any type of drastic closure unless it's a conservation issue. I don't think we have any data that says it is. And could we even enforce one here that limits all rec users? I find that the most severe damage can happen in areas that are supposedly "off limits," as that's where the perps feel safest from the public's eyes.

sawmill
03-15-2018, 02:33 PM
Around here most guys shed hunt for fun. Down there lots shed for profit. Toughest time of year is early spring. No sense bothering deer and elk while they are running on empty.

Jelvis
03-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Kamloops has the famous Dew Drop -- 40 minute drive out for mule deer bucks sheds, bluff after bluff of excellent buck habitat for winter range.
-- Drive out to past the kammy Airport on Tranquille Road to Kissick, MU 3-29 and your along the ( North Shore of Lake) on the road, to Frederick if you want, you can hike where ever you want, it's like Colorado or Wyoming in appearance, yet I think even more muley it's got lots a drop offs, if you want to hike around. Criss Creek.
Jel -- Skull Mt, Goudreaux out in 3-28 has nice shed hunting country , world class in all things Rocky Mt mule Deer. They come down from the Bonaparte lake country to winter, in October,Nov and stay til snow melts. 40 minute drive from Kammy on Hwy 5 or Westsyde Road to Skull.

hunter1947
03-15-2018, 03:44 PM
I myself would like to see a ban on shed hunting till the first of may as well but do you think that will keep the shed hunters out of the bush not likely they
will still break the law my thoughts are maybe 60% will not break the law the other 40% will break the law..

dana
03-15-2018, 05:16 PM
I myself would like to see a ban on shed hunting till the first of may as well but do you think that will keep the shed hunters out of the bush not likely they
will still break the law my thoughts are maybe 60% will not break the law the other 40% will break the law..

See we can stop that. Just like CO and NV we can put out bait sheds with expensive GPS chips and cameras in them. Who needs money for actual conservation? We must stop Shed Poachers instead! Spend thousands of dollars baiting those shed poachers so we can collect a few hundred dollars in fines. Sounds like a great idea don't it? We can put all these new CO's to work right away. FisherDude can get right on it. When Weaver gets done speaking at the BCWF convention, FD can pull him aside and ask him for his support.

I am sure that missing the E in his name was an honest spelling error as name calling is not tolerated.
Fixed it for you
Elkhound

limit time
03-15-2018, 05:32 PM
so what you mean is ban people from the bush. Cause if I’m hiking and find a shed, I’m keeping it.

Weatherby Fan
03-15-2018, 05:36 PM
Well in the US they had caught guys chasing deer on ATCs just to bounce record book sheds off of them, you start picking up sheds scoring in the 200 inches and up range and then mounted up some people will pay big money for it, so I can see where the issue is......I don't really don't think we have that problem in BC..................yet !

Jelvis
03-15-2018, 06:03 PM
-- Whad if, they ban, shed hunting for mules in the Thompson Country, your hiking, a nice trail and find, both sides, dropped off from a 200, Typical Mule buck?
Jel - and you must chuck back onto the ground in disgust! You just made the Boone and Crockett and had to drop it, like the buck did onto zeee dirt.
Boone n Crocket right there and can't share and you herd, rumors going round bout an antler poacher in thee area lately looking for a monster buck, he was following.

Weatherby Fan
03-15-2018, 06:24 PM
-- Whad if, they ban, shed hunting for mules in the Thompson Country, your hiking, a nice trail and find, both sides, dropped off from a 200, Typical Mule buck?
Jel - and you must chuck back onto the ground in disgust! You just made the Boone and Crockett and had to drop it, like the buck did onto zeee dirt.
Boone n Crocket right there and can't share and you herd, rumors going round bout an antler poacher in thee area lately looking for a monster buck, he was following.

Ill buy dinner for you and the wife at any restaurant in Kamloops with wine for every set of 200" or bigger Mule deer sheds you pick up in area 3 !
I don't think Ill be buying many dinners !

HarryToolips
03-15-2018, 08:19 PM
That's my thoughts, and the sheds will still be in great shape...IMO.
Might make it a little harder to spot them, since the snow may have melted away, so they blend in with the ground.
But, I suspect many who do this as a past time use dogs anyways?
Honestly, why not "shoot some preds" instead during the time, since most of that is done from the road.

I will say this though, I sure don't find the sheds like I used when I am there in November.
Very few as compared to before, and not as big as in the past.
But, I can't say whether someone else has been there in the spring hunting for those sheds, who never did back when I found
so many, or, is it a drop in #'s??
To be honest, when I hunt mulies come November, same area, every season, the #'s seem to be consistent, and the fawn/doe looks really good.
There sure has been a lot less snow, so I wonder if the bucks just don't hang as low as they used come the time they drop their antlers, and are dropping them elsewhere?
Time will tell I guess.
I know some are concerned that wolves are doing damage.
I know I am starting to have concerns as well in that area I hunt mulies now as well.

So, why hassle the deer more then they already have to deal with at this time of season, is my thoughts.
Shoot some Preds instead!
I shed/pred hunt at the same time.....

Bugle M In
03-16-2018, 11:16 AM
I shed/pred hunt at the same time.....

:wink:...............................

lovemywinchester
03-16-2018, 11:39 AM
It's a good idea for some states with ten times the population and 10 x less land mass but it's a dumb idea for here. So much country here. The woods are full of people exploring anyway, snow shoeing and walking dogs around Kamloops the deer are used to people. Chasing animals is crazy but Americans are crazy in general. We don't need any more rules aimed at outdoors folks.

Ron.C
03-16-2018, 11:45 AM
If the shed hunt results in a management concern or wildlife harassment then deal with it. Looks like this is what was done. But I also don't put it past any government to regulate anything that could be turned into a source of capital. I won't be surprised to see she'd hunting permits and or regulations taxing the sale of sheds in areas where this activity is most popular.

wideopenthrottle
03-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Last year I picked up my first mule deer shed of the year in Nov. i don't think a shed season would affect me whatsoever. Used to be one of my favorite past times. Now, just a bunch of good memories of days gone by. I had many years in the 90's and 2000's where I found yearly counts of over 250. Now, i'm lucky to bring home 10 in an entire year. You think we need a shed season?
yes and make it LEsH.....heheheh...jk

358mag
03-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Well in the US they had caught guys chasing deer on ATCs just to bounce record book sheds off of them, you start picking up sheds scoring in the 200 inches and up range and then mounted up some people will pay big money for it, so I can see where the issue is......I don't really don't think we have that problem in BC..................yet !

There was the same problem just north of Summerland with a few guys on sleds and quads with tracks harassing the wintering Mulie + Whitetail bucks.
MOE stepped in and put in place the Garnet Valley vehicle closer . It can happen in BC to .

Stone Sheep Steve
03-16-2018, 02:18 PM
There was the same problem just north of Summerland with a few guys on sleds and quads with tracks harassing the wintering Mulie + Whitetail bucks.
MOE stepped in and put in place the Garnet Valley vehicle closer . It can happen in BC to .

That was a good thing. I used to see quad or sled tracks around ever juniper or cyonosis bush that I saw.

horshur
03-16-2018, 02:49 PM
That was a good thing. I used to see quad or sled tracks around ever juniper or cyonosis bush that I saw.
Right next to your foot tracks eh? Were you just on a hike? Cuz it don't effect the deer if your motives are right. Think about what you just posted ffs.

358mag
03-16-2018, 02:59 PM

Yes a very good thing for sure .

358mag
03-16-2018, 03:05 PM
Right next to your foot tracks eh? Were you just on a hike? Cuz it don't effect the deer if your motives are right. Think about what you just posted ffs.

Have a quad or sled blasting around at 20-40km like they were doing back there covering every place they can cover in a day , is just a little diff than a set of boot tracks . Think about which one puts more stress on the deer. Not saying that hiking up in the hills isn't stress full in the winter time on the deer its just , hiking your just a bit limited in the ground you can cover .

dana
03-16-2018, 03:21 PM
Have a quad or sled blasting around at 20-40km like they were doing back there covering every place they can cover in a day , is just a little diff than a set of boot tracks . Think about which one puts more stress on the deer. Not saying that hiking up in the hills isn't stress full in the winter time on the deer its just , hiking your just a bit limited in the ground you can cover .

That isn't how these shed hunting laws see it. The guy on foot is just as bad and needs to be stopped. Remember that all jurisdictions that brought in these shed bans had wildlife harassment and off road restrictions in place for years before they brought in shed seasons. It was the foot shed hunter that they were focusing on. BC has plenty of enforceable laws that can stop the illegal offroad or wildlife harassment as well to easily hit the problem without any new laws but yet there will be some that say it isn't enough without even having a clue how few shed hunters this province actually has. Why do they have a ton of people shed hunting in some of these states? Because it is the only opportunity many have to get out and 'hunt'. When everything is Limited Entry and you have to wait years and years to get a good tag, you are going to seek other methods to enjoy your passion in the mean time as you wait. Winter videoing, shed hunting, summer videoing, photography are all forms of outdoor activites that allow hunters to feel like they are hunting. But...there are many people who sit on the sidelines and complain when others are enjoying their past times. Jealousy and hatred towards others that have fun is rampant in the hunting community today. Think about it. Stuck in the city, doing the daily grind and log onto a hunting website or Facebook and IG and see tons of photos of guys enjoying the outdoors. Those photos just prove how bad your life sucks at that moment. And so you bitch and complain to the right people in government and you get those hobbies regulated to the point they ain't fun anymore.

RugDoctor
03-16-2018, 03:28 PM
If the shed hunt results in a management concern or wildlife harassment then deal with it. Looks like this is what was done. But I also don't put it past any government to regulate anything that could be turned into a source of capital. I won't be surprised to see she'd hunting permits and or regulations taxing the sale of sheds in areas where this activity is most popular.

Regulate and then charge for the privilege that was once a right. Some guys just can't get enough regulation and love to pay for what's already theirs.

Ron C....not sure if I agree with the first part of your post or not....but certainly agree that it would soon be taxed

horshur
03-16-2018, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=358mag;1992677]Have a quad or sled blasting around at 20-40km like they were doing back there covering every place they can cover in a day , is just a little diff than a set of boot tracks . Think about which one puts more stress on the deer. Not saying that hiking up in the hills isn't stress full in the winter time on the deer its just , hiking your just a bit limited in the ground you can cover .[/QUOTE

there was a cross country enduro track back there when numbers were good. Wth eh?

dana
03-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Wasn't SSS bitching recently about a offroad ban in that area that means cat hunters can't access it and save deer? Hmm, fight for restrictions and then mad when they are put in and hurt other users that may be able to do some good. Same exact debate I had on Monster amuleys years ago when Utah first proposed shed seasons. Several guys were pissed that cat hunters could run their hounds in sensitive deer wintering areas. Ummm, Duh!!! You say the deer are hurting and then don't want anyone allowed in the backcountry who might just save the deer.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-16-2018, 07:44 PM

I was coyote hunting but thanks for asking.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Wasn't SSS bitching recently about a offroad ban in that area that means cat hunters can't access it and save deer? Hmm, fight for restrictions and then mad when they are put in and hurt other users that may be able to do some good. Same exact debate I had on Monster amuleys years ago when Utah first proposed shed seasons. Several guys were pissed that cat hunters could run their hounds in sensitive deer wintering areas. Ummm, Duh!!! You say the deer are hurting and then don't want anyone allowed in the backcountry who might just save the deer.

The land is owned by the Ministry and the decision to shut it down came from them.

dana
03-16-2018, 07:48 PM
I was coyote hunting but thanks for asking.

plenty of shed hunters caught shed hunting out of season over the last few years in the States with the ban have used that very same excuse. That is why the game wardens use GPS and remote cameras to catch those who shed hunt early and stash the sheds for Opening Day in May.

HarryToolips
03-17-2018, 10:44 PM
Walking around on foot with a fraction of the noise and speed will put a lot less stress on the deer, think about it...

dana
03-18-2018, 06:57 AM
Walking around on foot with a fraction of the noise and speed will put a lot less stress on the deer, think about it...

Again, we have laws already in place to deal with illegal offroading and wildlife harrassment. So did all the States that brought in shed laws. These laws are focused on the foot shed hunter. The rational is hiking around wintering deer and elk stresses them and there for the shed hunter must be controlled and stopped. Meanwhile, dog walkers, cross-country skiers, horseback riders, mountainbike riders and all other rec users are free to do what they want on the same winter range. It is only the nasty shed hunter that needs to be stopped.

338win mag
03-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Its just a matter of time before a few guys will tarnish all and new laws will be enacted, these are the same guys who leave their garbage behind after a day of shooting.
In a critical wintering area in the North Okanagan I have seen....idiots shooting bottles and leaving targets, shotgun hulls, propane bottles....making trails for riding and shed hunting.
A few will ruin it for us all, it go's right over their heads, a walk out on a ridge is alot different than some guy out on a quad or sled looking for sheds, people have been walking the land for sheds for thousands of years.

HarryToolips
03-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Again, we have laws already in place to deal with illegal offroading and wildlife harrassment. So did all the States that brought in shed laws. These laws are focused on the foot shed hunter. The rational is hiking around wintering deer and elk stresses them and there for the shed hunter must be controlled and stopped. Meanwhile, dog walkers, cross-country skiers, horseback riders, mountainbike riders and all other rec users are free to do what they want on the same winter range. It is only the nasty shed hunter that needs to be stopped.
Couldn't agree with you more, it's complete BS......

caddisguy
03-18-2018, 03:49 PM
I can't imagine a blacktail deer being pressured by humans. If anything blacktails benefit from humans stomping around their jungle homes... gives them a break from the preds for a few days. Not sure how much shed hunting is pressuring mules, elk, whitetail, etc in BC so I will claim ignorance on that. Banning shed hunting in Region 2 would be silly though.

bigben
03-20-2018, 03:44 PM
Same here....I agree with a shed hunting reg in certain parts of core winter range, but I see an even greater threat to wintering ungulates from increased housing development that goes on, especially in region 8...to be honest, when I'm out shed/pred hunting on what you would think would be the busiest day of the week (usually go out saturdays) for that, I rarely see anybody, I honestly think most people are too lazy, or disinterested in hiking around and shed hunting, I just don't see it as big of a deal in BC compared to many parts of the USA...
Nice to find them on the driveway when you go to work in the morning we are evolving for sure lol

horshur
03-24-2018, 03:12 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/272iko.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/272iko)via Imgflip Meme Generator (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)