PDA

View Full Version : Southern BC Trap Lines

Sako 300 win mag
08-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Anyone know of any up for sale? From the mainland to Merritt?

boonerbuck
08-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Nope.

I'm looking for one in the cariboo myself.

Sako 300 win mag
08-21-2007, 07:28 PM
I heard back in the day you could get a list from the C.Os. Not no more oh well I'll keep looking.

K-1
08-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Try getting in touch with B.C. Trappers Association. They have a list of trap lines for sale in their news letters.

Gamebuster
08-22-2007, 02:16 AM
Phone the bios in MoE in whatever region your into...they manage the traplines

Pete
08-22-2007, 04:59 PM
There are traplines out there but often they are just advertised by word of mouth, through the BC Trappers Magazine and through the Regional offices. If you do find one and if you don't already have a Trapping licence you will be required to take the BCTA Beginners Trapping Course. Instructors, and course information can be provided to you by contacting the BCTA through their website. info@bctrappers.bc.ca
Cheers
pete

Sako 300 win mag
08-22-2007, 05:58 PM
I have a buddy that works for the forestery out of merritt so maybe i should give him a call. Thanks for the info!!!!

Pete
08-22-2007, 08:08 PM
You could also contact Kurt Kier at the regional office in Kamloops. He is the gentleman in charge of the region 3 traplines. For region 8 trapline infromation the MOE contact is Orville Dyer in Penticton
Cheers
Pete

boonerbuck
08-23-2007, 02:13 PM
Pete is right about available trap lines being word of mouth or privately advertised. It's not the ministries responsibility to keep track of who wants to sell theirs. They would only know what they heard from other trappers but that's a start.

The best course of action would to get the best list possible of registered trap line holders and contact them and see if you can find any interest in a sale. A lot of trappers are not active on their lines. They may be willing to sell for the right price or lease a section of their line out for $$$ or a %. Prepare to pay a premium if there is Pine Marten on the line.

Many areas of the province have the Natives holding much of the trap lines and they care not to run or sell but I have been told some are willing to lease all or part for some cash flow. Band offices can be contacted.

There was a time when inactive trap lines were put up for sale. Use it or lose it rules. I heard that for the first time in decades they have enforced this recently. The word is that they are going to enforce it more soon because of the steadily increasing price of fur. Money motivates the Govt of course.

More active trap lines = more fur royalties

Pete
08-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Today's fur market is very tough. Contrary to what a lot of folks think it is still a very difficult way to try to make a living. Most folks get into it on a recreational level and for anyone who enjoys the outdoors it is a wonderful activity even for the whole family. At the current rate of destruction by Mountain Pine Beetle one has to be very adaptable as our boral species such as martin are taking a serious hit from logging and the loss of habitat. If you seriously are looking at buying a line look at species diversity and it's sustainability in the area where you would like to set up. It will make all the difference in how you approach buying a trapline.
Cheers
Pete

Sako 300 win mag
08-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks alot for the great response! My friend and I are looking for a little off season hobby. He has a few lines already so I will keep asking around. looking at the Coquilhalla-Kelly mtn area. Thx Again

Bearcat
10-01-2009, 05:26 PM
I have a trapline for sale Please email
catmando99@hotmail.com