PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite animal to hunt in BC and why?

KimberKid
03-12-2018, 10:50 PM
Title says it all. What is your favorite animal to hunt in BC and why?

srupp
03-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Moose..easiest hunt..delicious..lots of pounds of great eating.
Srupp

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
03-12-2018, 11:00 PM
I love it all!

Hunt what you can, where you are with what you've got is a motto of mine. Truly, any and all Hunting opportunities present a spectacular blessing to be savored. As per specifics, I need to get out for more Hunting for decades to come... Maybe then I'll figure it out down to individual species.

If it's more of a goals thing then I'd like for Max Cougar and Bear year after year :D Wouldn't mind a Wolf and some Coyotes... Plus a big ol' Elk. If it's one animal answer only - Whitetail!

mpotzold
03-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Srupp

I CONCUR!:grin:

backcountry99
03-12-2018, 11:23 PM
Elk, hard to beat bugling bulls

RyoTHC
03-12-2018, 11:28 PM
As funny as it may seem, grouse... Nothing like a relaxing stroll through the woods with a buddy hunting those foolish birds. Lots of good memories.

Drillbit
03-13-2018, 12:25 AM
Toss up between gophers and crows/raven.

Lots of great times with family and friends in the pastures.

butcher
03-13-2018, 12:55 AM
Coyotes. Cooked over a tire fire. Nothing compares.

Thunderstix
03-13-2018, 04:08 AM
Elk for sure as they are so majestic, very cagey, and the sound they make sends shivers up my spine

Salix
03-13-2018, 05:42 AM
Elk. Bugling bulls get the heart pounding. Can’t wait to hear a bugle each fall.

Second choice is goat. Haven’t got one yet but have been on a couple hunts. Love being in the alpine.

shortrange
03-13-2018, 05:53 AM
Srupp

Bear. Same reasons.

Ride Red
03-13-2018, 05:53 AM
Every animal has it’s allure and challenges, but elk are a rush like no other. From farm fields to steep drainages, nothing compares to a screaming bull coming into the challenge. Mix that up with a grizzly charge coming for an easy meal and you won’t sleep for a week. Is it hunting season yet??????????????????

And best of all, the tasty organic meat my family loves.

Boner
03-13-2018, 06:19 AM
Elk. But I’ve never connected yet.

Grizzly is number 2 for a totally different hunt. I’ve never connected there either.

338win mag
03-13-2018, 06:22 AM
Whitetails.

RackStar
03-13-2018, 06:24 AM
I love hunting mule deer.
But also really enjoy moose hunting. (Comes with a lot of meat)
this year will be a 2 week elk hunt if no moose draw as I can hunt deer from my backdoor now.

03-13-2018, 07:04 AM
Big Bull Elk, Billies and Rams...... But pursuit of Big Whities is growing...... Lol

caddisguy
03-13-2018, 07:11 AM
Blacktails... because life just isn't hard enough already

Wild one
03-13-2018, 07:30 AM
Calling WT in the rut but BT are really close 2nd. Grizz number 3 so yes I hate the NDP more then most lol

Really need to learn and invest effort into elk because it holds a lot of factors I enjoy in a hunt

Kopper
03-13-2018, 07:54 AM
Goats ahead of all else. They live in the coolest terrain and watching them navigate it is something else. Haired up billies just look so neat too! 2nd would be mulies and tracking them through snow, close enough to smell their musk ha. Rams are cool too ;)

weatherby_man
03-13-2018, 07:57 AM
My favourite is muleys, second would be white tails. I just enjoy hunting deer. I also enjoy birds, grouse, pheasant, ducks, etc.. I think its because I was brought up around a lot of deer and pheasant hunting.

russm
03-13-2018, 08:30 AM
Since I’ve reqlly only hunted them I’d say mulies, we hunted chuckars last year and that was a blast, better tasting than grouse too.

barry1974w
03-13-2018, 08:47 AM
Moose. Cause moose hunting is for people that are too lazy to hunt elk.....;)

BCHunterFSJ
03-13-2018, 09:42 AM
Bugling elk for the sheer excitement.
Mountain sheep for the magnificent scenery and wilderness.
Big whitetails for the challenge.

decker9
03-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Mountain goats are my addiction, not a day goes by that I’m not thinking about them. The places they call home, is mind boggling sometimes, the way they scale cliff faces, and tough enough to endure the harsh winters up there, all are reasons why their my favourite. Not to mention the scenery!! BC’s ultimate animal imo.

colt52
03-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Srupp

Me to Steven

tomahawk
03-13-2018, 11:08 AM
tough decision cause I love em all but fav is mules, cold crisp air, snow on the ground above 4500 ft elevation and mid Nov rut. beautiful scenery and always the chance the monster is about to make a mistake. can t beat it for me

boxhitch
03-13-2018, 11:11 AM
urban beaver
someone has to do it

second is goat

todbartell
03-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Elk. It's in my blood like meth

IronNoggin
03-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Blacktails... because life just isn't hard enough already

Bingo!

And that right there is why so many do not choose them, and those that do are Certifiable!! :lol:

Cheers,
Nog

03-13-2018, 11:35 AM
Island Blacktails. Same as Bartells Elk..... its in my blood. I have stood calmly as a 50" bull came in to my call... only thing entering my mind was " we got a job here"
but creeping over a bluff to see a Fork buck blacktail ... I panic like a kid on prom night... I love Island Blacktails and everything to do with their pursuit..

KodiakHntr
03-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Depends on what month it is.... April/May/June, hands down, grizzly. Followed up closely by black bears.
July, wolves and coyotes are my favorite thing to hunt.
August, that is sheep and caribou.
September, that month is dedicated to bugling bull elk.
October, moose and goose time.
And November is mule deer till the 20th, then whitetails.
December/January/February/March? Wolves and coyotes.

dmuth
03-13-2018, 12:08 PM
#1 moose lots of the most premium meat
#2 blacktail as it is in the back yard and I can use the bow

warnniklz
03-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Goats... the terrain they live in and the elements you endure. And I find them tasty as

03-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Goats... the terrain they live in and the elements you endure.

lol the very same reason I think most goat hunters have a death wish!

sawmill
03-13-2018, 01:38 PM
lol the very same reason I think most goat hunters have a death wish!

Agreed, Iv`e been up the hill (Roche de Boule in Hazelton) a couple times. Pretty scary.Hanging on by the finger nails most of the way up a cliff that looked easy at first. Can`t go back, must go up. It sure ain`t for the faint of heart.
I like whities. Love the meat and just love the moment you see THE buck.

Bugle M In
03-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Bull Elk, and if you have ever had one bugle, and coming in, you'll know why.
Can't beat that!

Hunting mule deer is great, but, for the most part, you are hunting them by sight only.

With White Tails there is a chance to call them in etc, which makes that more "hunter involved", but again, they don't really
reply, they just show up.

Best way to describe Elk Hunting....it's like lots of "foreplay", the "build up"...and with success, you have achieved "Climax".
It really is the most "involved" creature to hunt.
Yes, Moose can be similar....but come on, they are as about a dumb as a creature can get at times!
Elk....they can be like incredibly smart.

Jrax
03-13-2018, 04:23 PM
chasing bugling elk are #1 for excitement and table fare. Stone rams are a close second.

.264winmag
03-13-2018, 05:19 PM
Stone Sheep. The country is unreal, nobody around and the game you see on a trip cannot be topped. And they are the most delicious wild game critter we have. Yup, ram heart n liver on a stick is the best, ribs second...

Jelvis
03-13-2018, 05:41 PM
-- Mine is the mule deer, because?

1. I can walk after it in the bush around Kammy
2. I can realistically hunt the ridges and shoot a mule deer all around Kamloops.
3. I can bleed, gut, half and get my deer out of the bush, it's still light enuff in half.
4. I love tracking bucks in snow, with mule deer you can track them -- track for track til you catch up
5. the still hunting provides X sir size and hunting at the same time.
6. You can see any sized mule deer near Kammy, from fawn to major buck.
7. I got two hunting buddies who hunt mules also and we share the excitement and costs
8. with mule deer an experienced hunter can move the deer into his buddy who is waiting.
9, Mule deer are strong and fit into the country in Kamloops for centuries
10. I like the antler formation of a mule deer buck
11. I like deer meat especially ground meat
Jel -- Kamloops has spoiled many a mule deer hunter, with world class still hunting -- all around the town --

wildcatter
03-13-2018, 05:43 PM
As some said, I like them all, but I must say nothing as rewarding as goat hunting.
I would like to connect on sheep one day as well.

Cyrus
03-13-2018, 06:18 PM
It used to be moose until their extinction...

gmachine19
03-13-2018, 06:21 PM
Bear. i like showing them whos boss. Also I love bear meat.

tigrr
03-13-2018, 06:43 PM
Bear first and moose a close second. Actually depends on how much room there is in the freezer.

Rattler
03-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Tough call. LoveMuley hunting early season, in the alpine, but bugelling bulls are an absolute adrenaline rush for me. Then there is Stone sheep hunting in August...scenery is second to none - the physical and mental challenge is like no other hunt.

HarryToolips
03-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Elk hunting is number one to me, followed by whitetails....but I really do love hunting em all...love spring bear hunting, can't wait for that to start, and want to try more goat hunting.....I'm also a big canoeist, and want to try hunting moose one day from my canoe, whose had luck calling from the water??

browningboy
03-13-2018, 09:59 PM
Rabbit because they are so predatory

mooseknuckler
03-13-2018, 10:08 PM
Moose for meat, deer for fun, and mountain goats for the adventure!

two-feet
03-14-2018, 04:29 AM
Elk hunting is number one to me, followed by whitetails....but I really do love hunting em all...love spring bear hunting, can't wait for that to start, and want to try more goat hunting.....I'm also a big canoeist, and want to try hunting moose one day from my canoe, whose had luck calling from the water??

Moose from the water is hard to beat. I love being a modern day Couer de Bois. Last year we found ourselves paddling across a lake with a canoe full of moose meat at 1am, no moon, just stars like you would not believe. And a meteor shower. Great memories!

And paddling is so much better for your spine than packing

Weatherby Fan
03-14-2018, 07:31 AM
Mule Deer,Elk and Stone Sheep.......I have always enjoyed hunting Mule deer more than anything else especially Alpine hunting in early Sept or a mid November Rut hunt with 6 inches of fresh powder snow,

but its hard not to include Elk and Sheep, the breathtaking scenery in Northern BC was endless this last year while sheep hunting, the visual experience was beyond belief while chasing a big ram.

JoeSixPack
03-14-2018, 07:57 AM
Elk, Mule deer, Sheep. Not necessarily in that order, depending on the day. Haven't chased caribou or goats yet though..

geo guy
03-14-2018, 08:45 AM
I love moose hunting in the rut, nothing beats having a big bull grunting and strutting down a lakeshore coming into your calls. I love all hunting though but moose takes it for me.

Boner
03-14-2018, 09:06 AM
Pretty good answers, this is a good thread.

Skeena Shooter
03-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Mountain goat is my personal favorite fallowed very close with stone sheep. The mountains, scenery, challenges, abundance of critters are just a few of the reasons there my favorite. Can’t wait till August.

tomcat
03-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Cougar because they are a challenge requiring good hounds to consistently capture. Not to mention they are probably the best wild meat. IMHO every deer should be recycled thru a cougar before being consumed.

Rupert Retired
03-14-2018, 06:28 PM
Whatever is local. I could never travel too much to hunt, due to expenses. I had to move around the Province following work opportunities. Whatever is the best in your area, that is what to go for. I ended up with a good representative animal of all species in BC using this technique. But, believe it or not, the hardest one that I have found is a good mule deer. They are just not that cooperative! Small bucks yes, and I did score one that went 163, but that was it. Haven't shot anything in about 3 years, and not for lack of trying (however, I did pass up a small 4-pt last year in Oct, probably would have scored about 110 or so).

willyqbc
03-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Most fun hunting would definately be elk in the rut for me....however, if I was only allowed one tag for the year for any species...it would be moose. A year without moose in the freezer is a sad year indeed!

nature girl
03-14-2018, 08:41 PM
Black tail deer nothing like standing at the top of a slash looking down the hill waiting for a deer. Then the fog starts rolling in. It is so peacefull.
Or just being in the forest where the blacktails roam. The big old trees and the ferns on a cool drizzling day. The smell of the forest.

Or grouse hunting just like eating grouse fajitas.

HarryToolips
03-14-2018, 09:11 PM
Moose from the water is hard to beat. I love being a modern day Couer de Bois. Last year we found ourselves paddling across a lake with a canoe full of moose meat at 1am, no moon, just stars like you would not believe. And a meteor shower. Great memories!

And paddling is so much better for your spine than packing
That just sounds epic....

Harv
03-27-2018, 04:53 PM
nothing gets me fired up more than seeing a mature island timber blacktail!

limit time
03-27-2018, 05:10 PM
Black rhino .

frenchbar
03-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Coyotes. Cooked over a tire fire. Nothing compares.

Throw in some used oil pails for extra flavouring..

Magnumb
03-31-2018, 11:24 PM
Goats with the rifle. The scenery makes every hunt exciting. My grandpa used to say "you hunt deer but you earn a goat".
Blacktail and elk with the bow. Never easy and every hunt provides great stories and experiences.