PDA

View Full Version : Spring bear primer!!

willyqbc
03-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Time to get some hunting content on here to beat back the winter blues. Old or new pictures and stories to get us in the mood for the spring bear hunt. All you oldtimers who've been here on HBC since the doors opened....post up an old hunt! Theres tons of folks who weren't here the first time you posted and would probably love to see it!!

I'll try and get the ball rolling and forgive me if I can't recall all the details just right. It was mid april 2006 I believe, and my pards and I had a couple grizz draws out the McGregor area. We had scouted areas the previous fall and talkin to some locals were told the road gets kept open all winter due to the logging goin on....GREAT...we'll be able to get in early in the spring!!!! WRONG! All logging stopped out there that year and our attempt to get to km 86 died in 4 ft of snow at km 21:-( The chunk of real estate we were able to access hadn't looked promising for grizz, but we figured to give it a shot anyway. Cruising around, looking for a promising area to glass, i suddenly spot something VERY black on a knoll about 500 yds into and old block. All bino's go up and we're all pretty surprised to see a pretty good size blackie sitting on his rump enjoying the sunshine. We're all quite surprised as this is the earliest we've ever seen a blackie in the spring. HBC member "tank" grabs the vid camera and hangs back 20 yards while his dad and I begin our stalk. Lots of rolling terrain allows us to easily close to a comfortable 200 yds, allthough in truth this fellow was still so groggy from his winter sleep we could have walked right up on him any of the number of times he laid over and stretched out in the sun. So were all set up, Tanks dad is on his bipod and we're having a real good look at him....general consensus was that this guy would be a solid 6' from nose to tail. "that'll work" says Tanks's dad. Right about this point the bear gives a mighty yawn and stretch and rolls back to his feet, graciously offering his shoulder! One shot, tight to the shoulder with a 140 tsx out of a 7mm mag and the bear crumples and rolls down off his knoll!! Not the Grizz we were looking for, but a nice consolation prize!!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/al_s_bear_3.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/al_s_bear_2.jpg

Thats tank on the right, and me in the top pic doin my best skidder imitation. We were close on the guess, as the boar turned out to be 6' 1" nose to tail "in the round"

Okay....theres story 1!! I will post more but don't leave me hanging HBC, specially you folks who've been here as long as I have. Re-post the old bear huntin stories for all the new members who never got to see them the first time!!!

Chris

IslandWanderer
03-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Awesome story and pics! I’ve been curious about those drag harnesses- I should get one. There’s nothing like seeing a bear from a distance where there’s an opportunity to observe and plan a stalk. I’ve got an 11 day stretch off work in May and my son and I will spend 5 days on the North Island. I can’t wait.

willyqbc
03-11-2018, 09:41 AM
wanderer, if you have a buddy in industry that can get you an old Padded fall arrest harness with the D ring on the back...I'd go that route. That store bought piece of crap in the pic left me with nasty strap shaped bruises for a week....and the rope snapped about 1/2 way back to the truck.....I would not reccomend it!!! HaHa!

Wild one
03-11-2018, 09:45 AM
wanderer, if you have a buddy in industry that can get you an old Padded fall arrest harness with the D ring on the back...I'd go that route. That store bought piece of crap in the pic left me with nasty strap shaped bruises for a week....and the rope snapped about 1/2 way back to the truck.....I would not reccomend it!!! HaHa!

Try a tree stand harness they are better

IslandWanderer
03-11-2018, 09:47 AM

Thanks, I’ll watch for a used fall arrest harness on line.

180grainer
03-11-2018, 09:51 AM
I've always found dragging a heck of a lot more work. Skin, quarter, and put on your back. You're going to have to skin and quarter it anyways.

caddisguy
03-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Awesome story! Thanks for posting it up!!

On the topic of dragging, I envy those who can do it. I can't.

Bunner
03-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Thanks for sharing. A nice read for a sunny Sunday afternoon

monasheemountainman
03-11-2018, 03:00 PM
I've always found dragging a heck of a lot more work. Skin, quarter, and put on your back. You're going to have to skin and quarter it anyways.
x2....dragging sucks balls

Bunner
03-11-2018, 03:13 PM
^x3 on that

willyqbc
03-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Noone gonna help out with some spring bear stories?? OK, I will tell another

May 2010, a buddy of mine I met shooting 3d archery decides he wants to come up for 4 or 5 days of bowhunting for bears. Great! Lets do it! Buddy arrives around noon on a friday....checks his bow and we are off for an afternoon hunt to an area that i knew held some good bears. One in particular was a nice color phase, which I knew he would love to get. After a bunch of assorted sightings of runners and little ones on the way out, we arrive at the old deactivated road i was wanting to check and get geared up for the evening. Its about a km walk down the road before it opens into the old cuts... as we approach the first cut something catches my eye in the ditch about 100 yds into the block....something is moving!! Everyone takes a knee and up come the bino's....all I can make out is some rusty blonde hair right on the top of his back! What luck...its him...and the wind is perfect. Long story short...the stalk goes perfect, buddy gets set up and the bear obliges by wandering up on to the roadside offering a broadside shot at 37 yds if I recall....buddy ranges and comes to full draw....he's quite a capable archer so I'm assuming nothing but the best as I focus my bino's on the sweet spot behind the shoulder. I hear the shot and watch the arrow come in low and fluff the hair on his brisket....DOH!!! Obviously the bear takes off like a scalded cat....no hair, no blood and the video confirmed what I thought I saw during the shot. We spent the rest of the evening looking anyway, just to be sure...but there was no way around it...he was gone!
The next several days resulted in lots of bears sighted and lots stalked with no success. One stalk in particular was on a real cranker that I ended up getting 1 or 2 years later....can't remember, but thats a story for another day! So anyway, we're down to our last afternoon hunt and My buddy decides its his only spring bear trip out of the lower mainland...time to pick up the rifle. Sure enough....soon as the rifle is in his hands, the bear sightings dry up alltogether. We're now down to our last hour and slowly making our way out towards the highway in the truck. There are a few farms to go through and then one more spot to check before coming back out on the highway. We are just passing the first field on my left and there is a cranker standing in the middle of the field!!!! Buddy is lamenting his bad luck to see a bear like that on private property....but I happen to know theres a nice little open track behind the field that is outside the fence and on crown land....it is also the most logical direction for the bear to take leaving the field. So off we go, quickly and quietly we get in and pick our spot, where we can see the bear and have a good 100yds in front of us if he leaves the field before dark. The minutes tick by and this bear is very content right smack dab in the middle of the field....doesn't look like he's goin anywhere anytime soon...I figure we're pooched. All of sudden his head snaps up and he's staring hard to the opposite side of the field from us...."get ready...somethings happening out there". as I look back to the bear he is running full bore towards a spot about 70 yards in front of us....PWANG...I hear the barb wire as he blasts through it and before I know it he's breaking into our lane.....BOOM!!! Full somersault across the opening and he's up and running into the bush.....couple seconds later we hear the crash and death moan!! High fives all around, buddy is just stoked...but I don't think he realized the quality of the bear he just shot as he asked me...." whattya think? he's a decent bear eh?" ....."uhh YEAH!!! He's a beauty!!! Never did figure out what spooked him, but whatever it was, sure worked out for us!! I cant recall the actual measurement on this guy...but he was BIG and THICK!!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/PIC_0352.JPG

So there ya go...story #2....anybody else gonna help out and post up some stories??? Everyone keeps complaining there's too much BS and not enough hunting content....so lets load up on the hunting stories. It don't matter if you've posted it before...POST IT AGAIN!!!

Chris

willyqbc
03-11-2018, 03:45 PM
dragging sucks balls

I was younger, stronger....and less intelligent then!! Have since discovered that big chunks in a pack frame is MUCH BETTER!!!:mrgreen:

REMINGTON JIM
03-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Great stories Chris :smile: Hopefully we will be making a NEW one this spring ! The 416 is ready to go ! LOL RJ

HarryToolips
03-11-2018, 09:55 PM
Couldn't agree more....great thread...

willyqbc
03-12-2018, 08:00 AM
We'll see what we can do about getting that 416 some work RJ:grin:

todbartell
03-12-2018, 08:55 AM
May31, in the evening my partner & I hiked up a grassy deactivated road which winds up a hill through the timber to the top of a cutblock. 1/3 the way up we spotted a small sow feeding towards us, she got to 21 yards but he didnt want to shoot it with his bow even though it would of been his first archery kill. We kept going up to the top and spotted another bear, he walked across the road feeding and we could tell right away he was a much bigger bear and worth a close look.

We crept up there and got to where he was but he was gone. Then we heard WOOF WOOF and CRASH CRASH CRASH as it ran away through the timber. He must of smelled or heard us approaching. We sat behind a log for 5 minutes to listen and wait but the bear seemed to be long gone, so we walked down another 50 yards and partner took a piss and then we sat on a log and quietly talked.

Then I heard some cracking in the bush above us and I could see some small trees swaying only 20 yards away then WOOF WOOF WOOOF WOOF but we couldnt see it because we were about 20 feet below it on the road. I could hear the bear going to our left in the cutblock above us, so we slowly moved down the road when I spotted him cutting across the hillside 60 yards away. Then he sat down and watched me, my partner was below me in ditch, couldnt see bear. I motion for him to move slow and he does, he gets to where he can see the bear which is still sitting on its ass watching me

After a couple minutes it snorts and gets up and begins to run off, parnter yelled and it stopped broadside at like 60 yards and he fired, arrow hit low and into the dirt, the bear, he takes off into the bush running, we could hear it crashing and getting further away for a minute or so.

We walked up and got his arrow out of the dirt, walked back down to the road and carried on along the grassy road in the cutblock, we made it about 200 yards from where we last seen the bear. We stopped for a rest and I could hear some branches breaking in the bush above us, 75 yards away.

A minute or so later after some more noise, we spot it stepping up onto a blowdown with its front legs, watching us, my parntner says "shoot that **********!" so I raise my rifle but as I do so, Mr Bear drops off the log and out of sight behind the brush. WOOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
crash crash
WOOOF WOOOF WOOOF WOOOF
this went on for about 3 minutes

I can hear the crashing getting further off to the right, heading back the way we came, so we begin to go back along the road. There is a big rock cliff between where we were and where we last seen it, and I figured he was circling back trying to get out wind, which was perfect btw, heading downhill the whole time

We get back to the other side of the cliff, standing there for 5 minutes or so when I hear a branch break above us. I hear another branch break, a minute later my partner whispers THERE he is
as he steps out of the timber to the edge of the block. He has us pegged, staring right at us, & there is a ****ing small spruce tree between me and him! in my way.

I slowly side step until clear lane
lift up, he is facing me dead on at about 75 yards.
I level it center mass and sent bullet on it's way. Due to the recoil I didnt see what happened but my parntner was watching through his 10x swarvoskis and said it bowled him right over backwards and he spun and took a jump and disappeared behind a blowdown. I reloaded from shoulder like Camp Cook! and was ready to start WWIII!

I could hear some brush breaking but no movement. After 10-15 seconds there was no sounds. We slowly made our way up to the edge of the timber, he made it about 10 feet from point of impact & fell in a slight depression behind a blowdown

nice boar, 5'7" from nose to tail, 79" from front paw to rear paw across its body. So 6'1" square. This was my first bear I've pulled the trigger on since 2003. I messed up and forgot to sit 5 feet behind it for the pics, sorry!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/09Bear.jpg

LYKTOHUNT
03-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Sorry I have no story or pictures as all my past bear hunting has been bear hunting but hoping to never see any, but we always do in which case we quickly turn our back and go the other way, so as to avoid getting sweaty and dirty but this year I am actually going to try to shoot one.I have an old Husky 9.3x57 that I have fixed up some that I think would be great on a bear

Numenor604
03-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Cool hunt stories willyqbc!

I've got one from last spring : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUf84DULMkM

I apologize in advance for the foul language and less than stellar videography skills. I make these vids mostly for my own amusement. Cant wait for this Spring . Good luck everyone.

willyqbc
03-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Now we're talkin!! Bitchin story bartel!!! How old is that story...you look about 12 in the picture!! Haha!

Thanks for chippin in numenor! Beauty bear there!

Keep it goin folks...lets get some more bears up!!

Chris

REMINGTON JIM
03-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Good Storey Mark Nice Bear ;-) RJ

todbartell
03-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Now we're talkin!! Bitchin story bartel!!! How old is that story...you look about 12 in the picture!! Haha!

2009. I'll post another here from 2011 when I was 14 :-P

todbartell
03-12-2018, 02:10 PM
I spotted something out of place across the block from camp not far from where the first bear dissapeared into the timber hours before. I threw the spotter on him and it looked like a good bear. Watched him from 800 yards for about 20 minutes before deciding to go in for a closer look. Wind was bad and I had lost sight of where he was. Pretty soon I spotted him 75 yards ahead, nose up, sucking in all my dirty bartell stink. He began to wander off away from me and I couldn't get a clear shot due to all the brush between me and him. He looked good though, my only shot came at 150 yards as he hit the edge of the timber for one last look, but I passed.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/252473_10150202755112992_512917991_7133664_324502_ n.jpg

After dinner we drove up a KM or so from camp and parked the truck and hiked into the back part of the clearcut. We seen two medium sized black bear but no grizz sign. Got back to the truck about 9pm and barely got headed down towards camp when I spotted a bear ahead. We jumped out, and my bino's told me it was the same ol boy again, wife got this pic as he began to move off away from us

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249304_10150202755207992_512917991_7133665_6277063 _n.jpg

I grabbed my Ruger No1 300 Win Mag and stuffed a round in every pocket I had just in case. This rifle my wife bought for me for a wedding gift last summer and it had yet to see blood in the field. The bear looked good and the stalk was on!

I hit a deactivated road which would put me in the path of the bruin. He was 300 yards ahead of me but his pace slowed and he began to feed again. The wind was finally in my favor and this enabled me to close the gap quickly. My wife followed 25 yards behind me with the video camera. Not the best footage but better than nothing. I went prone on a dirt heap 50 yards from the feeding bear and when he turned broadside I let him have it, right behind the shoulder. The bear was down instantly but like they almost always seem to do, bounced right back up and leaped across a deactivation. He started to roll and I reloaded as quickly as I could and when he presented a bit of a shot I squeezed another one off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLTzVtHdV3Y

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3YymHwhRFGau8h6xY5i8c2v3hBkM5gVbf6Wn5WJo-dzKgrXgePGThiPVV4R8elK7FMextPoX25E4rovMW0oKHFjJoCy TDQJaem_7C35OR4X4mrBybtK1zZ45xHHvQxqly-_eZNAoyGBeReZklGqi5p4U1RdiRNEPo3aL_E2VYj2SE_I9vYae gCXHUkv1h7OCOe3VVcCFanEhZmsGyWxmZdZ2Rm0O_lopMxUxj_ TDur7Y3bQpMGI_Wq2CPG4pcP9Z3HR46dh_wMDNsAB46TOPAlHk bn4q6dqapzz04NvzLo2pKnSnngEDT8ewm7VKZ7iLgU5dQSif2N G6O_FXIK_o3KLSm9ZLFKzMEVio-cz-O6AXQayoI1z3JnXMG_bsRupTXpJHF5IonlnyQSXee-AUO4Dt6CeN59xo5OdaWiG-RLQzdeHwjL6xHuQS9GqrDrP7Vy7SNUONx33oZjtM_xuGsmO8Qm 58AOOBC1pbl_1HmVj401SWpLBmmVvNwxVqwJ9l5UrEQwdRd9KM LYJhT_C_UVkuxAIRr9z_6evPEZ4HKnIks5mI-keavwm-04_Ku9RKzfHshIXw6WrOYrYuWk0taAWS6emixe8bIoZ_yDo=w4 44-h296-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wn-hdjeWrA0FqFMEC235NYYfl9hCOk85M14p3pUDe8agoZm9YxMJ5 4V3MaDSd9adCMSDbe_g3nyd5fd4rTTaSkHxggMw8Mfujic-0gtMS1AAP80PairG1RU-8hbEKKa-9OeghRcbN0kfmKB0xjeoekaJQXpQnugpaW6hdV53rG2xCIvFBZ Gk1D5NkidbW4xL8tiAD7mdlGsGrVUs9EJEfxakmZAyrBWlaWOK dXO17IxeFYjr0Bv8cG18XYDMe_3YiDNYLvo4s__TIcp660N_rZ MYtLiTPSzpC38n5RrDOEkWegrmuzyBcZsLyUb2BNAVFyNgYLOJ LnWYHVvAr9X0SkdPC1QxEd8kkhx0xBuUTSXnswpCT4tewa2HO7 Au5B7r2UwhLBmyCZhfNr05Jj_mifV-VXRBF7gjGE_vELKQ-sgsYuGA01zuE-0MOO1ZmB3CZAdbKisrs5NQ6QPHGXx-tGdN6HbkABJMn0BiS-J3did2E6FmC5dUMYsVfPVHJmX9Dylbjzk2BneW1ydFaP036HMq zN6GNe4oPZrBinpXkY9R-urooor85ZYjYQcLXHSQSLEj7bC9WdYkfNlIFbd07tHanT8oafX Im2AGeLc=w720-h480-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/MS4EWBRgyKbvfJOb3YANm4y4I-23IiuLB_AIUIK1xKGtP4rbF3fx6szmTH0ESv9AslkC_q5_yEcK LQBP94BEuAkJ0n7Q5QKwzSN8jaZn3jewIznNtjV9xGA9CiaCTs otW9j9edDWDjt1GNOK8KXaJsYue8y3navunQ0KdWc7BH1OupRR lQ_pzhNi02Y3zs7-6dmJERcPfIU7Z79ZiN_rCxC3WNUr5PZsBAukR6solXFHsHGAHZ IV-sc978WxC4qwH3_OaQHrfZx3sQIVCt5c1RuStjZOpq1bVM1fcgZ sODrANqtT31rYiUXQrMUwtVqAF7N3q6U86C4nOZBU5VRgn7nKi DrJ8lCgUJlUG4_N6puF4K_AYkj19Izw-Nt7jy-aJu9thHlAjJ3MYVkdv64m65sB0v8gtDtyImofvr8iSTF-WrXOMSdRCIFgmAX3hBtnZF_dxZTnLEYluVxSCTH3t88M38e7c6 AYfoJDm312RsXVhLiEx-AN4ymyvkCpWpglfK_iKwzTcp7I1i53t6_0fxy6-0xOGiPd0GayY5PTGYymmKJIWFyP1D1_q6kULr81rslG-HukJ-buNoHUXnm1dQyKaLmJySzdIQh5goc=w480-h720-no

willyqbc
03-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Soooo...like 4' 8"....maybe 4' 9":razz:

Bunner
03-12-2018, 03:16 PM
Nice looking bear Todd. Thanks for sharing

willyqbc
03-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Okay...unfortunately no great story on this one, other than it is the big bear mentioned in the above thread, where my buddy had a blown stalk on it a year or two previous. Was just driving from one area to another with my son and friend, the area where the stalk was blown had not really greened up and I wasn't planning on walking around the block to come in the back door as usual....was just driving through. Spotted him smack dab in the middle of the block. Not sure why, but there was a bit of debate amongst the three of us if I was going to shoot this bear or not....kid and buddy were definate yes's, I was a maybe....guess at 386 yds he fooled me....even looking through the spotter. I was looking for a quality rug, and just wasn't sure he was big enough. Sure glad now they talked me into it!!! Got set up, resting the rifle across the top of my spotting scope for a standing shot....waited for a nice broadside and let er fly!! 40 yd dash and it was all over!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/chris_bear_09_pic_1.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/chris_bear_09_pic_2.JPG

and this is where he lives now!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/trophy_room_3.JPG

BCHunterFSJ
03-13-2018, 10:35 AM
You wanted old? Well here's real OLD...

This is a page from my Journal. Check out the date!

https://i.imgur.com/FL5boA9.jpg

This is an article that I wrote at that time.

A Grizzly Dream

As one grows older, one begins to philosophize more frequently on one’s life, both the successes and the failures. As I lay awake one night, not being able to sleep, I thought about all of the different things that I had really wanted to do... from the time I was a very young man to the present. What had I accomplished? How many of my dreams, passions and aspirations had I fulfilled? Was my life a success? One of those must do things, I realized, was to hunt and kill a grizzly bear...
Although my dreams of grizzly bear hunts began when I was a mere lad growing up in the province of Quebec, I was only able to fulfill those dreams much later on when I moved my family to the wilds of northeastern British Columbia. At that point, the quest really began. In those days there was a regular grizzly bear season, with no need to apply for limited entry tags as one needs to do now, and I started to spend my spring weekends looking for bears. Much to my wife’s displeasure, many of my weekend hunts were solo efforts and I soon acquired a .338 Winchester Magnum to dispel some of her fears, and probably also because I really wanted one anyways. I persevered for six years; alone, with my growing sons, and sometimes with the odd hunting partner. We did see some bears, but they were always too far away, too small or in family groups. As my need for a “grizz” grew, I hunted for them during both Spring and Fall. After all, there was now much talk about putting all grizzly bear hunting in B.C. on Limited Entry Hunting...
The seventh year of my quest was the last year that B.C. had regular seasons on grizzlies. It was now or never, as I had never had much luck drawing LEH tags! That spring I met Hans, a fellow teacher in Fort St. John who was a bear hunting fanatic who had already shot two grizzlies and wanted to help me harvest one of my own. He suggested a completely different area on the western side of Williston Lake, with
fascinating names like the Osilinka and Mesilinka Rivers. I was immediately hooked on the idea, and off we went on the seven hour long drive on forestry and mining roads that were in deplorable condition. The second day found us in our major hunting area, between Aiken and Johanson Lakes. Around 10:30 we were glassing some very green hillsides when we spotted two grizzlies; a very dark boar and a light colored, but much smaller sow. The male was obviously trying to mate with her; quite a remarkable sight! We decided to leave them for the time being, and then drove for some 30 kilometers before turning back. Beautiful country here, but no bears were spotted, so we sped back to where we had seen the bears in the morning.

By 3 PM we entered the bush, crossed the stands of timber, and made our way up the grassy slopes by around 5:30. This was a steep mountain, and Hans set quite the pace! We did some glassing for about an hour and then split up. Before I knew it, Hans was wildly signaling for me to join him. He had found the bears! I got there just as the boar was about to enter the timber, and I had no choice but to shoot fast or not shoot at all. I shot! The range was around 150 meters and almost straight downhill - very tricky - but the bear tumbled down the hillside and into the timber, so I had connected. Approaching the timber we took off our packs and Hans removed the scope from his rifle. I spotted a bear; but it was the sow, and after a while she moved off, and we proceeded down to look for my bear. What a feeling, not knowing whether it was dead, or perhaps just waiting for us in ambush! Luckily, however, the .338 Magnum with a 250 grain bullet had done its job, and within minutes we found my bear, good and dead. I had my grizzly!
Keeping an eye out for the other bear, we took pictures and videos and then proceeded to skin out my trophy. We finished at 9:30 PM and I shouldered the 45 kilo plus load and staggered down the mountain. By the time we got back to camp I was in total agony. Next morning we discovered that the other grizzly had followed us down the mountain and prowled around camp while we slept the sleep of the dead. I skinned out the head and we measured the hide. From nose to tail it measured 7 feet and 3 inches (2.2 meters). We rough measured the skull at around 24 inches or 61 cm (it later made it into the B.C. Record Book). This was indeed a good mountain grizzly, and I was delighted with both the size and condition of the hide. Finally success; I had fulfilled my lifetime dream of bagging a grizzly bear!

https://i.imgur.com/iY1I6Z6.jpg?1

Will never happen again!

willyqbc
03-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Thats awesome BChunter....thanks very much for sharing!! There will be a lot of envious folks on here who may never get the wonderful opportunity you had....at least not for a while anyway!

Thanks again!!

HarryToolips
03-13-2018, 09:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MTudTVx.jpg (https://imgur.com/MTudTVx)

HarryToolips
03-13-2018, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately my other bears harvested I didn't care to take pics then, but here are a few of some enjoyable hunts..

Too small let him walk..

http://i.imgur.com/bIA8cpt.jpg (https://imgur.com/bIA8cpt)

http://i.imgur.com/HSC4uKe.jpg (https://imgur.com/HSC4uKe)

HarryToolips
03-13-2018, 10:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/TTrkZSl.jpg (https://imgur.com/TTrkZSl)

This one I shot the bear..with the camera through my binos, family camping trip, didn't really wanna deal with bear meat while on one of those..

http://i.imgur.com/T4uL7iH.jpg (https://imgur.com/T4uL7iH)

Hugh Mann
03-15-2018, 07:36 PM
I absolutely recommend a drag harness. When one of my group nailed a 4 point (260lbs on the butcher's hook) it made the 3.5 kilometer drag go from impossible to relatively easy. Everyone should have one of them.

HarryToolips
03-15-2018, 08:08 PM
^^^^i would think that deboning would be easier than dragging, since your not dealing with all that friction, but I guess I could be wrong..