PDA

View Full Version : crossbows and archery season

walks with deer
03-06-2018, 08:01 PM
should crossbows be banned in bc for archery only season like in alberta?

i have witnessed some men with well tuned crosdbows that practice perform amazing shots..!
is that fair? i have also seen hacks no practice shooting high and low unpracticed with undersplined and or powered arrows winging all over gods country..

walks with deer
03-06-2018, 08:02 PM
heard this is in the works from reliable source..

rocksteady
03-06-2018, 08:13 PM
I have seen the same poor shooting with some compound users... :)

walks with deer
03-06-2018, 08:50 PM
not disagreeing just saying crossbows i have heard of marksman on the extreme in accuracy...and on the extreme unaccurate heard there may be a chsnge coming..no vote here.

Jagermeister
03-06-2018, 08:54 PM

i have witnessed some men with well tuned crosdbows that practice perform amazing shots..!
is that fair? i have also seen hacks no practice shooting high and low unpracticed with undersplined and or powered arrows winging all over gods country..

I started shooting bow when I was 11 years old. Port Orford cedar arrows were the choice of the day, the only choice. Shot pheasants, grouse, the odd quail and Robertson ground squirrels. When I was 36, I had to discontinue shooting because bursitis in the shoulder was too painful to hold the required 45# legal draw weight for arrowing big game. Compound bows under the Allen patent were a novelty, noisy 4 wheel contraptions, that had a marginal letoff. When PSE came out with a compound with 40% letoff I re-entered into archery. It got better with 60% but as you age, even that letoff becomes unbearable with the onset of arthritis. I traded off my compound for something else but all with the thought in mind to get a crossbow to continue into the archery season.
You mention that a crossbow ban may be in the works and you got that from a reliable source. I would like to know where you got this information and who this reliable source is. And please define reliable source while you're at it.
If you can't name the source, then like those hunting stories without pictures, it did't happen.
And of course you know, I am adamantly opposed to that ban.

Danny_29
03-06-2018, 09:33 PM
This is an interesting idea, I know a few other province's seperate the two as well. I shoot a compound and practice alot, I shoot just as far as lots of Cross bow users. Obviously having less hunters in your favourite season is hard to turn down, but there really isn't much difference between the two as far as chances go. I would be more on board for an extra season strictly for traditional archery to grow that side of the sport compared to excluding a group of hunters.

walks with deer
03-06-2018, 09:47 PM
danny29 this time i truley agree..

my mother and wife hunt with crossbow..i didnt invent or agree with the idea just heard it was coming down the pipe.

walks with deer
03-06-2018, 09:47 PM
i use ot some times like dad and i share one when hunting the peace...

Mulehahn
03-06-2018, 09:50 PM

There are minimum draw and bolt weights for crossbows. Any hunter not meeting them is breaking the law. Also, the minimum spline weights for a crossbow are not for hunting but for accuracy and safety. As far as "winging all over gods country"... I would be very, very, very surprised if the percentage of crossbow hunters who cannot keep it in an 8" in circle at 30 yards is higher than regular bow hunters. Between the two, bowhunting takes much more practice to be able to ethically use.

walks with deer
03-06-2018, 09:54 PM
bowhunting does take more practice...agreed..
a good crossbow hunter with good equipment is almost unfair advantage...but a guy who bought his crossbow to take advantage of a season and doesnt shoot it and thinks it shoots like a gun is worse..that said i didnt say i support just saying it may be coming down the pipe.

Fisher-Dude
03-06-2018, 09:56 PM
Settling in for our annual dose of ignorance from people who are such shitty hunters that they want to ban other hunters.

Perhaps we should just ban all hunting, would people be happy with that?

walks with deer
03-06-2018, 10:00 PM
not attacking other hunters rumour mill said being considered

358mag
Settling in for our annual dose of ignorance from people who are such shitty hunters that they want to ban other hunters.

Perhaps we should just ban all hunting, would people be happy with that?

Careful what we wish for .................... there are just way to many trolls out there .... Sunny ways my friend Sunny ways ....

walks with deer
i ate steak tonight shot with crossbow all for it.

scoutlt1
03-06-2018, 10:07 PM
Those who hunt with any "magnum" rifle should be restricted to, in all regions, from 10:00 am until 1:30 pm on October 20.

Mulehahn
03-06-2018, 10:23 PM
So beyond being easier to become proficient with what are the major advantages of a crossbow?

tater
03-06-2018, 10:35 PM
What was the original intent of special weapons season in North America? To provide more hours of pursuit to those who chose to accept the challenge while minimizing impacts on harvest ratios.

If techonlogy creeps to a point where it is impacting the harvest ratios beyond the intent of the season (scoped inline muzzleloaders tripling effective range of traditional flintlock/percussion rifles as an example), then that weapon used in that season should be explored, and it's use perhaps moved to a different season (crossbow use in rifle not archery season).

I don't know of any massive increase in harvest stats due to crossbow use in mountain areas (i have heard some Eastern States are once again looking at impacts on harvest ratios for 2018-2019 seasons e.g. Iowa), and as such they should remain in archery season.

I have no problem with crossbows in archery season as long as harvest ratios are not skewed and archery seasons impacted by their use.

The caveat is crossbow users are not bowhunters:they are a crossgun device used by opportunists, not archers. The very defintion of archery in the dictionary refers to the use of a bow and an arrow, not a crossbow and a bolt.

If you are truly handicapped, then fill your boots.
If you are able bodied and hunt the archery season with a crossbow, great. But be honest with yourself and be respectful.
Please just don't call yourself a bowhunter.
It offends people who invest the thousands of hours of practice and sweat equity becoming proficient hunting with a bow and earn the respect that comes from that skill.

JKerr
03-06-2018, 10:35 PM
People should be able to shoot whatever they want, only real advantage of a crossbow is it's easier to learn.

If folks are flinging bolts, or arrows, or bullets all over the place, they should figure out how to use the tool before they point it at anything except practice target.

dougan
03-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Cross bows are a pain in the ass to pack load ect . Bought one sold one , back to my compound ... happy happy

HarryToolips
03-06-2018, 10:41 PM
I have seen the same poor shooting with some compound users... :)
This is it...I have seen poor shots from people who don't practice with a rifle too.....we don't need more restrictions..I shoot a traditional bow, and I still think crossbows should be a part of the archery season....they're just way less cool, that's all lol....

sobirch
03-06-2018, 11:02 PM
Divide and conquer. Give em an inch and they will take a mile sooner or later. If you do not have something positive to say about someone else's preferred method of hunting then you should say nothing. After they knock off one kind of legal hunting they will set their sights on the rest, one item at a time. This is important, stick together or we (hunters), and our tradition and heritage is done before you know it. It is sad to see posts like this. I also would like to know who this unconfirmed source is so we have time to take action to defend hunting. I am a hunter and I support all legal methods of hunting, even if I don't use those methods. I support all legal seasons for different species of animals even if I don't hunt these seasons. I support my fellow hunters. If you are a true hunter you should support your fellow hunters.

Jagermeister
03-06-2018, 11:17 PM
Divide and conquer. Give em an inch and they will take a mile sooner or later. If you do not have something positive to say about someone else's preferred method of hunting then you should say nothing. After they knock off one kind of legal hunting they will set their sights on the rest, one item at a time. This is important, stick together or we (hunters), and tradition and heritage is done before you know it. It is sad to see posts like this. I also would like to know who this unconfirmed source is so we have time to take action to defend hunting.Can't give you 5 stars for your post as that is for rating the thread. However I can give you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png

walks with deer
03-06-2018, 11:50 PM
jager did you just buy a matrix 380 ? good for you great bow wish i had 1...good luck definatley a great tool..

GreatWhitePopogeebo
03-07-2018, 12:05 AM
I hunt with both crossbow/compound whatever I feel like at the time yes crossbow is easier but both are equally fun to shoot leave the rules as they are because crossbow today then compound tomorrow let's face it nothing traditional about a compound bow they work there way down to a plain stick and string can't give them that inch my two cents I know my Grammer no good failed English my bad

dracb
03-07-2018, 12:53 AM
After 70 plus years of putting trophies on the shelf and meat in the freezer with an assortment of long bows, recurves and compound bows I have now joined the ranks of my hunting friends who no longer have the ability to pull bows suitable for hunting big game. I find it strange indeed, that because I now hunt with a crossbow and still consider myself a bowhunter, some feel I should bow my head in shame because i give umbrage to he who has spent thousands of hours practicing "archery" and still has the strength and coordination to ethically use a vertical bow. As for the hunting part of the equation there is not a heck of a lot of difference between the effectiveness of a compound bow and a crossbow or the "hunting" skills and knowledge required to ethically harvest game with either one.

J_T
03-07-2018, 05:56 AM
not attacking other hunters rumour mill said being considered
At the present time, there is no formal discussion on the topic of restricting or removing crossbows from Bow Only Seasons (BOS). This conversation is not new and comes as a result of many factors. Under firearm legislation the crossbow is considered a firearm. This drops it into the grey area. In some jurisdictions, 30 years ago, the introduction of crossbows into more primitive traditional and (less performance-based) compound bows raised a conservation concern. There are those that will have a position that the crossbow provides a valid cross over opportunity for traditional rifle enthusiasts to take advantage of BOS.

At the present time, in BC, crossbows are defined as archery tackle. I suspect, the only time a change might occur would be in the event that sufficient data was collected to suggest they provide a conservation concern. We know, we don't collect data in BC, particularly about user groups, we simply make decisions based on ignorance. Should we get to a place were we believe crossbows are having a conservation concern, I suspect we have much bigger problems.

Ron.C
03-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Under firearm legislation the crossbow is considered a firearm. This drops it into the grey area. .

JT, I'm not trying to be argumentative, So please correct if I'm wrong "my wife does it constantly :roll:".
I was under the impression crossbows were not considered a firearm. I went to the CFC website and looked. I don't see crossbows as being any sort of a grey area at all and don't see how its definition by the CFC or CCC should have any bearing on their use in an archery season?

CCC firearm definition

Firearm” means a barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other projectile can be discharged and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person, and includes any frame or receiver of such a barrelled weapon and anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm

CFC
Crossbows that can be aimed and fired with one hand and crossbows with an overall length of 500 mm or less are prohibited. You cannot lawfully possess or acquire a prohibited crossbow.You do not need a valid licence or registration certificate to possess any other type of bow, including a crossbow that is longer than 500 mm and that requires the use of both hands. Criminal Code provisions making it an offence to acquire a crossbow without a valid licence were never brought into force.
If you plan to use a bow to hunt, please check provincial hunting regulations for information on hunting licence requirements and restrictions that may apply to the use of bows. For example, some provinces do not allow crossbows for hunting

greybark
03-07-2018, 08:39 AM
After 70 plus years of putting trophies on the shelf and meat in the freezer with an assortment of long bows, recurves and compound bows I have now joined the ranks of my hunting friends who no longer have the ability to pull bows suitable for hunting big game. I find it strange indeed, that because I now hunt with a crossbow and still consider myself a bowhunter, some feel I should bow my head in shame because i give umbrage to he who has spent thousands of hours practicing "archery" and still has the strength and coordination to ethically use a vertical bow. As for the hunting part of the equation there is not a heck of a lot of difference between the effectiveness of a compound bow and a crossbow or the "hunting" skills and knowledge required to ethically harvest game with either one.

Finally a good post on what are strong biased opinions on a contrived post that is "hearsay". Crossbows are legal !!!!

IronNoggin
03-07-2018, 02:12 PM

Trolling again I see... :roll:

... You mention that a crossbow ban may be in the works and you got that from a reliable source. I would like to know where you got this information and who this reliable source is. And please define reliable source while you're at it.

Everyone did notice that the OP somehow missed this?? Intentional is my belief.

Put Up or SHUT UP!

... The caveat is crossbow users are not bowhunters:they are a crossgun device used by opportunists, not archers. The very defintion of archery in the dictionary refers to the use of a bow and an arrow, not a crossbow and a bolt.

Well TaterHead, I am damn happy most real bow hunters don't have their own head as far up their patootie as you apparently do.

The Arc in Archery comes from the path of the arrow, regardless of whether the platform is vertical or horizontal. Both employ the use of stick and string. The term "crossgun" is one used to belittle the horizontal BOW, and is common among those naysayers such as yourself.

I ran a compound for decades. Injuries preclude that. I now run a crossbow, and consider myself very much a Bow Hunter.
And I could give a Rat's Ass about your thousands of hours invested.
That does NOT make you any Holier than anyone who runs a horizontal BOW. Really.

I believe the OP started this post simply to stir the pot.
There is no movement in BC, nor the vast majority of other jurisdictions where crossbow use is allowed in regular archery seasons to do away with that.
Simply a troll, which did result in hooking a few - myself included.

I suggested the OP get it together in an unrelated post yesterday.
Then, I noted he was dangerously close to finding my Ignore button.
He just did.
And NO MORE pm's from you either
Cheers,
Nog

Big Lew
03-07-2018, 02:24 PM

Well said, and a very good post, thanks!

moosecamp
03-07-2018, 02:30 PM

My reliable source says different.

https://i.imgur.com/w0Q3ita.jpg

Jagermeister
03-07-2018, 02:37 PM
Most people think that the crossbow was developed in medieval times. However that is not the case.
The Chinese were using the crossbow as early as the 6th century BC. Not only that, they developed a bronze trigger system that was incorporated in the crossbow.
That's the history lesson for today folks.

604Stalker
03-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Lets put this into perspective even after investing in a sweet crossbow and putting in 200+ hours of range time I failed to close the gap on a mulie by 10 yards for my practiced range this september. If I had my fancy 'magnum' rifle I would have shot that deer in the neck from the bottom of the hill it would have never seen me and I would have finally scratched a reg 8 tag. The difference with any kind of bow is distance paitiance and perciverince. You can take a crap on whoever you would like but remembering hbc rules telling someone they are not a bowhunter because they arnt a trad shooter is just like telling a rookie hes a pos for shooting that spike buck legal and ethical and sustainable harvest is the objective we need to stand together. They are taking away late bow season they are restricting harvest and as the past has shown we dont get oppertunity back we just loose more of it so point the finger but when they come for you don't expect there to be anyone left to say anything.

russm
03-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Ah bow hunters, the fly fisherman of the hunting world lol

tater
03-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Well TaterHead, I am damn happy most real bow hunters don't have their own head as far up their patootie as you apparently do.

The Arc in Archery comes from the path of the arrow, regardless of whether the platform is vertical or horizontal. Both employ the use of stick and string. The term "crossgun" is one used to belittle the horizontal BOW, and is common among those naysayers such as yourself.

I ran a compound for decades. Injuries preclude that. I now run a crossbow, and consider myself very much a Bow Hunter.
And I could give a Rat's Ass about your thousands of hours invested.
That does NOT make you any Holier than anyone who runs a horizontal BOW. Really.

I believe the OP started this post simply to stir the pot.
There is no movement in BC, nor the vast majority of other jurisdictions where crossbow use is allowed in regular archery seasons to do away with that.
Simply a troll, which did result in hooking a few - myself included.

I suggested the OP get it together in an unrelated post yesterday.
Then, I noted he was dangerously close to finding my Ignore button.
He just did.
And NO MORE pm's from you either Silly Snowflake. :roll:

Cheers,
Nog

Ooohhh...you called me a name...because i take myself so seriously as you can see in my handle and tagline...
Back to facts, please.
Your historical reference to the Latin root of the word is nice, but not relevant. As i said, the definition of archery is the use of a bow and arrow. Not a crossbow and bolt.

You obviously do care, as you took the time to respond.
As i said, if you are not able bodied due to age or injury go for it and use a crossbow.
Then reflect on your history when you were a bowhunter.

walks with deer
03-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Iron noggin. Hmm I support crossbow hunting in bc so thanks for the attack.
Source was a bunch of guys from the west kootnenays with some kind of club at the Abbotsford 3d. Where you there...?oh you were not Why?

Answer the group this after you attack for a question

Why are crossbows already not allowed for waterfowl in bc? Muzzle loaders are and yes I hunted when muzzle loader was bow season..

I state again I support crossbows in bc.

604Stalker
03-07-2018, 09:39 PM
Walks I think whats happend here is you opened a can of worms by mistating your opening of a discussion a better way to adress this would have been to state your personal oppinion and ask others. Trad guys have been talking about it forever you may notice the snubs people get at the archery range when we bring our crossbows out or the fact that there isnt one shoot I could find to bring my 380 to

walks with deer
03-07-2018, 09:51 PM
Agreed I own a crossbow and my dad owns 3.. we also have everyother type of bow you can name.

I have a small 3d range in my yard we can play with the distances if you come to kamloops crossbows are welcome. shot one on Sunday... some time in archery and rifle season my dad and I bring a crossbow for eg any buck with a bow but any elk with a rifle.

I have shot competition archery and bow hunting my whole life..the good old days of walking sumas mountain on a rainy November morning jumping bucks. Before all the hipsters and garbage dumping started..
I am all for crossbows especially in reposible hands...

JKerr
03-07-2018, 10:29 PM
you may notice the snubs people get at the archery range when we bring our crossbows out or the fact that there isnt one shoot I could find to bring my 380 to

Really? Only real 'range I use is the Poco 3d, besides that I'm in an antisocial yard range. If someone was shooting a crossbow there I'd definitely be interested.

My only worry is I'd like it so much I'd buy one.

It's nice people are so good at hunting they need to make it a contest in other ways, I hope I get to that point.

Danny_29
03-07-2018, 11:06 PM
Just open a seperate traditional season. Guys using bows who get mad that a "guy with a crossbow" can hunt in there season can pick up something traditional and feel special again with there own season. Aaaand more opportunity for everyone.

scoutlt1
03-07-2018, 11:17 PM
Just open a seperate traditional season. Guys using bows who get mad that a "guy with a crossbow" can hunt in there season can pick up something traditional and feel special again with there own season. Aaaand more opportunity for everyone.

Ya, that "separate traditional season" works really well.......

Fisher-Dude
03-08-2018, 09:17 AM

How about we just open hunting season and people can use whatever they want?

greybark
03-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Time for a re-read of last line in post # 28 . LOL

Danny_29
03-08-2018, 09:30 AM
Let's not, having a couple days at the start of the season I don't have to hike like crazy to get away from some lazy dude in a diesel is appreciated.

Jagermeister
03-08-2018, 09:49 AM
Knock off the personal attacks boys!

calvin L
03-08-2018, 09:53 AM
OMG In a time when ALL our hunting is under attack , we still have closed minded people causing in infighting ! One question WHAT THE _ ELL IS WRONG WITH YOU ?
Yes I am an archer since 1993 , I use my bow through all the season's , There are good and bad shooters , in all discipline's of shooting / hunting ! Get over it . Pick up a weapon YOU like to use and use the Dam thing . IF you suck as a hunter do not blame the weapon you use !
Calvin L

Wild one
03-08-2018, 09:57 AM
As someone who has hunted with all forms of BCs leagal archery gear they all have advantages and disadvantages

Outside of sitting in a blind or stand in my opinion the compound bow holds the greatest advantage. The compound is the most versatile in my opinion

The crossbow is the easiest to learn but with a good teacher it really does not take much to become accurate with a compound for most

Does not bother me crossbows are legal in BCs archery season but personally don’t call them archery. The only thing the same to me is the short range and fletched projectile. This is not a shot at those who hunt with them just how I view the weapon.

The point of archery seasons is to add opurtunity with min restrictions and still have low impact. Crossbows still help achieve this and offer opportunity for more to get involved

IronNoggin
03-08-2018, 12:19 PM
http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/rotflmao.gif

Your historical reference to the Latin root of the word is nice, but not relevant. As i said, the definition of archery is the use of a bow and arrow.

Vertical BOW:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_465130_imageset_02?wid=300&hei=230&op_sharpen=1

Horizontal BOW:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/xkcAAOSw~HBaRacb/s-l300.jpg

Projectile for both = ARROW:

https://i.imgur.com/WxXK8HF.jpg

BOLT:

http://www.camrosecountryhardware.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/hex-bolts-250x250.jpg

As i said, if you are not able bodied due to age or injury go for it and use a crossbow.
Then reflect on your history when you were a bowhunter.

Thanks - I will do just that.
And at the same time look forward to the many years in front of me being an actual and true BOWHUNTER!

Cheers,
Nog

rocksteady
03-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Well played Nog...

walks with deer
03-08-2018, 06:53 PM
wow a sensitive question?

alot of compensating for such a detailed aggresive reponse...

i heard crossbows are becoming legal in ab so who knows?

willyqbc
03-08-2018, 06:57 PM
You wanna have an open respectful discussion, carry on.....you wanna name call and snipe at each other and I will simply delete the whole thread

walks with deer
03-08-2018, 07:06 PM
fair enough was just curios was going to invest in a excalibure myself my crossbows are 30 yard speacials.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-10-2018, 06:19 PM
I personally hate using crossbows ...
Now that said ... they are archery equipment, They are propelled by string power, Yes they can cocked and locked(there are products on the market you can do that with compounds and recurves as well)

I know they were left out of archery season in Alberta about 20 years ago, they were included in Albertas Archery season 10-12 years ago, Has the pendulum swung again??

while I haven't personally been shooting my bows as much as I should be lately, When I was on top of my game I had the same range as any cross bow out there with my compound, just like anything else , when you take the human factor out of a properly tuned piece of equipment it will cloverleaf or better at 100 yrds all day long

IronNoggin
03-10-2018, 06:49 PM
I know they were left out of archery season in Alberta about 20 years ago, they were included in Albertas Archery season 10-12 years ago, Has the pendulum swung again??

No. Just simply more rumors circulated by one who does not know. :roll:

The Alberta Bow Association would have a catastrophic aneurysm before ever allowing crossbows into their regular archery seasons (without a Certified Disability Ticket that is).

... just like anything else , when you take the human factor out of a properly tuned piece of equipment it will cloverleaf or better at 100 yrds all day long

Yep. I well recall the Mutter Family in Southern Alberta Showing Us How, 100 yards was eyeball material.
And that was one hell of a long time ago! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

Bowzone_Mikey
03-11-2018, 04:29 PM
No. Just simply more rumors circulated by one who does not know. :roll:

The Alberta Bow Association would have a catastrophic aneurysm before ever allowing crossbows into their regular archery seasons (without a Certified Disability Ticket that is).

Yep. I well recall the Mutter Family in Southern Alberta Showing Us How, 100 yards was eyeball material.
And that was one hell of a long time ago! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog

When I moved out of Alberta it was in the talks and the ABA of the time was warming up to it

Obviously those talks did not come to fruition

I don't know any Mutter Family of Southern Alberta ... Mustve been long...Loooong before my time.

walks with deer
03-11-2018, 08:21 PM
i have a biter iron noggin bit that herring and broke the line..treble still stuck

walks with deer
03-11-2018, 08:22 PM
good thread eitheir way

scotty30-06
03-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Lol ....I dont get the problem....like bitching at a guy for owning a sxs istead of a jeep.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Lol ....I dont get the problem....like bitching at a guy for owning a sxs istead of a jeep.

Some just Bitch for the sake of Bitching

I get bitched at because I own a SXS and I hunt with a Bow ... You get used to it after a while

J_T
03-12-2018, 07:24 AM
I think the point some are making is that being a bowhunter is more an approach and a state of mind rather than a weapon or a season. But on here (HBC), just like in life, there are closets that people hide in. Don't want to mention they enjoy bowhunting and bow seasons, because they don't want to get labeled and accused of something.