PDA

View Full Version : Spell check is your friend...

Redthies
03-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Hi guys, I’m not a big poster here, but have spent a lot of time reading. I know you’ll probably hate me for saying it, but I hope you see why I am doing so...

There are a lot of threads (Grizzly, MEC etc) that have a ton of bad spelling and poor grammar. I’m not trying to be the grammar police, I just want to point out that there are people other than us who read things on the forum. People who dislike hunting, shooting and firearms in general. The amount of misspelled words and incorrect grammar makes the average user here come across as uneducated. It’s a stereotype that we don’t need to reinforce.

So basically, use your spell check and maybe think about what you are posting. It’s not just the likeminded that are on these forums...

Jelvis
03-06-2018, 08:38 AM
Not just the like minded? What's up red thighs ? You mean there are anti's on HBC? Among the many members we have? Checking our spelling? I've never heard of this before.
Jelvis -- tell us more we never knew that was going on! Cood be members with Grade 7 edumication lol hahaha I know some yet they can sure bag the game.

Redthies
03-06-2018, 09:56 AM
Well gee, Jelvis, pretty much any google search can bring anyone here. I just thought I’d point out what apparently isn’t obvious to the masses.

albravo2
03-06-2018, 10:13 AM
This comes up every few years. Consensus is what we would gain in readability and credibility we would lose from posters that aren't computer-savvy or particularly well-spoken. Lots of folks on here that don't write all that well but they have already forgotten more than I'll ever know about hunting and bushcraft.

At the end of the day this site if for us, not the antis or general public that will meander by.

lip_ripper00
03-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Or the masses don’t give a Shyte what the so called educated think, if they where to communicate with their parents or grand parents by text only they might get a surprise. I grew up in a time where I finished school, went out and got a job ( post secondary education was too expensive, and I didn’t have mommy and daddy to pay for everything ) now 50 years later I have retired. In my work environment I didn’t use computers or have the need to write long letters or communicate by text. Sorry if my spelling or punctuation is not up to yours or the great educated standards, I was probably building roads or bridges so you could get to school.

Downtown
03-06-2018, 11:44 AM
Hi guys, I’m not a big poster here, but have spent a lot of time reading. I know you’ll probably hate me for saying it, but I hope you see why I am doing so...

There are a lot of threads (Grizzly, MEC etc) that have a ton of bad spelling and poor grammar. I’m not trying to be the grammar police, I just want to point out that there are people other than us who read things on the forum. People who dislike hunting, shooting and firearms in general. The amount of misspelled words and incorrect grammar makes the average user here come across as uneducated. It’s a stereotype that we don’t need to reinforce.

So basically, use your spell check and maybe think about what you are posting. It’s not just the likeminded that are on these forums...

Not to long ago I attended a Town Hall meeting hosted by Weaver, Leader of the Greens. Seemed there where a whole lot of "Educated" People there eating up his Words. Weaver made sure everyone became aware he is a "Scientist", which supposed to be a person trying to find the Truth by analytical research and then applying Facts to arrive at an answer.
Well we all know the Greens with Weaver as there Leader where instrumental killing the Grizzly hunt. Therefore I would say there "educated" Party Leaders are either not interested in the Facts that BC had a world class system and very well controlled Grizzly hunt or they are outright Liars or just plain "educated Idiots".

Cheers

steel_ram
03-06-2018, 12:14 PM
We can't all be stable genius' who know a lot of big words . . . A LOT of big words.

Some folks only have phones to type on, are crappy at typing or no longer have a full set of fingers, so give them a break.

Really though, obvious spelling mistakes, especially in thread titles does make us look like a bunch of tards.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-06-2018, 12:50 PM
I hate typing on this form using my phone. Auto correct gets possessed .

That's reality.

Pemby_mess
03-06-2018, 12:54 PM
"It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Petros65
03-06-2018, 12:59 PM
"It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

LOl - takes forever to read this. Imagine if your Doctor wrote out a medical report like this ---- would you go back or just die laughing - ha ha ha ha

MichelD
03-06-2018, 01:05 PM

I agree, and not necessarily because of what other people besides us think.

It is not that hard to put a few words together and to spell them correctly. Then we can understand each other.

Maybe taking a little more time when people are composing a post or response would help.

I'm not trying to be an English 101 professor here. I never went past Grade 12 and worked in the logging and fishing industries until last year. I attended no post secondary except for attending PMTI to get a marine certificate.

Iron Glove
03-06-2018, 01:33 PM
My spelling was, and still is pretty bad, at least for the level of education I had.
In Grade eight the Teacher made me sit beside the big class dictionary and said "You look up every word you can't spell which is probably most words."
For sites like this I think that grammar is more important than spelling as poor grammar can really change, or confuse the meaning of your post.

dmaxtech
03-06-2018, 01:34 PM
LOl - takes forever to read this. Imagine if your Doctor wrote out a medical report like this ---- would you go back or just die laughing - ha ha ha ha

I guess English is not your first/only language.

srthomas75
03-06-2018, 01:37 PM

I read this fine. No slower than if spelled correctly

sawmill
03-06-2018, 02:34 PM
Yup, nailed it as fast as if it was written right. Course I have read a lot of Jelvis posts over the years , which helps.

sawmill
03-06-2018, 02:37 PM

Well thank you for your concern Mr 8 posts. All the years learning how to hunt and process my game meats...shood have spent mor time speling.

tyreguy
03-06-2018, 02:56 PM
Aren't you a positive display for recruitment to the HBC site. Good reason why new people don't say much when you burn him for only 8 posts.
I do give the OP credit as he never made this suggestion on the end of someone's story post, only a general comment so not to single someone out.
Think about it.

Well thank you for your concern Mr 8 posts. All the years learning how to hunt and process my game meats...shood have spent mor time speling.

Caribou_lou
03-06-2018, 03:03 PM
I really don't care if we look uneducated. As long as what we are talking about and can educate others.

Are you saying we shouldn't wear Camo around town? Looks aren't everything my friend.

And I don't give a flying F*** what the Antis think!

finngun
03-06-2018, 03:05 PM
my spelling and my grammar is pretty good..in my own language..english.hmmm still some brob. sometimes ....sorry take it as a man.....after 40years in kanata..ugh i have spoken:shock:

Ferenc
03-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Red .... ya ask for it !!! Lol

03-06-2018, 03:12 PM
I spent a lot of years in university, but my spelling isn't great, and my grammar isn't always correct. I definitely use spellcheck and google to aid in proper spelling. I agree with the OP. It may take more time to strive to spell correctly, and use proper grammar, but I think it's important. When I review resumes, I automatically discard those from candidates who have spelling mistakes.

Incorrect spelling and poor grammar detract from even the best written ideas.

DeepJeep
03-06-2018, 03:24 PM
I agree with 325 above.
I think the OP had good intentions. I think we should all, including myself, care about proof reading and how we can come across. At least the best we can.
Op is just providing constructive feedback.

Redthies
03-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Sorry if my spelling or punctuation is not up to yours or the great educated standards, I was probably building roads or bridges so you could get to school.

And im sorry too, but I never once said I was unhappy about your, or anyone else’s spelling. Nor did I say I was more educated than anyone else. Nor did I say I don’t hold a blue collar job.

What I did say, is that I think we as a group, should at least make an effort to be better spoken (and written) in order to have a real voice about issues like MEC dropping brands, hunts being closed, areas being closed etc.

I appreciate the understanding from members like 325, Deep Jeep and others who realize that while I may only have a few posts here, I may at age 49, have some insight in how the world works. Reality is, that letters filled with spelling and grammatical mistakes are not taken in the same regard as those that aren’t. I guess I made the mistake of trying to help a group I’m happy to be a part of. Do with it what you will.

srupp
03-06-2018, 10:15 PM
Hmmm most of my posts are done on my tablet. .it has some funky spell check..on what It thinks I mean..often completely incorrect, seldom do I go back and correct it..amazing since when I was working spelling was indeed important..misspelling a medication could point towards a different medication..different medical issue..and hence serious negative treatment courses of action down dead ends..
Hmmmm on this site. .not really that big a issue..

Huge difference between acute angina....

And a cute vagina "

Fred

Pinewood
03-06-2018, 10:24 PM
If somebody(a non-hunter) is sitting on the fence regarding support or opposition towards hunting they could easily be pushed either direction by the comments read on social media. I commented the other day in the Goose decapitation thread about taking Proguides advice and not engaging anti hunters on social media. I posted that after reading comments from some guy arguing incoherently. It made hunters look like idiots. It would be very difficult for an outside observer to take the comments, written as badly as some I have seen, seriously at all. And, it will do no good to win allies.

FYI. I swing a hammer for a living, never made it past grade 12. Worked in the patch. But I make an attempt to write well and speak well because I know it affects how people listen to me. Food for thought...

IslandBC
03-06-2018, 10:31 PM
Phuk that’s been it all along ??? Anti hunting groups don’t hate hunters because we kill animals . It’s because of our poor grammar and spelling !

f350ps
03-06-2018, 10:31 PM
And im sorry too, but I never once said I was unhappy about your, or anyone else’s spelling. Nor did I say I was more educated than anyone else. Nor did I say I don’t hold a blue collar job.

What I did say, is that I think we as a group, should at least make an effort to be better spoken (and written) in order to have a real voice about issues like MEC dropping brands, hunts being closed, areas being closed etc.

I appreciate the understanding from members like 325, Deep Jeep and others who realize that while I may only have a few posts here, I may at age 49, have some insight in how the world works. Reality is, that letters filled with spelling and grammatical mistakes are not taken in the same regard as those that aren’t. I guess I made the mistake of trying to help a group I’m happy to be a part of. Do with it what you will.
I hear what your saying here Red, and I agree with your intent! We are continually getting screen shot from the Eco-Freaks and there is a few of us that sound like, well, I won't even go there. But on the other hand if this site continually allows these freaks on here what can you do? I don't hide what I enjoy doing and never will, but I always try to at least make my posts sound like I finished grade eight, unlike some! :) K

caddisguy
03-06-2018, 10:34 PM
I try my best but like Steven said, sometimes we're posting tablets or phones, sometimes in less than ideal or rushed conditions. I try my best to respond to everything in the best possible manner, but I might be standing up on a crowded bus somewhere typing with one hand.

As far as antis are concerned, we will continue losing ground against them until we have a united international front for science based conservation. This is how groups like PETA operate. They are world wide. Any poll, whether it be provincial or national... any comment thread they feel needs to be addressed, any twitter post etc, they are sending their international flock to pound the poll, comment thread or whatever. In fact, when our NDP government set up the grizzly bear feedback email address, MANY international anti-hunting and vegan groups set up web based templates where any international user could simply fill in their name/email and click send. It would send a pre-written letter. The NDP counted ANY email as a "vote", while here we are telling each other within a tiny local echo chamber that we all ought to send in a letter. As a result, we lost the grizzly hunt because it was "4000 to 1000". THIS is why we are losing battles on every front... not so much because of spelling and grammar. If we had an organized international front, hunters and conversationalists could better defend each other world wide. Lets focus on what really matters. Times are changing. It's not even just about "social acceptance" anymore. It's "international social acceptance" now. We need to get with the program.

BackBacon
03-06-2018, 11:05 PM
i think what people should be taking from the op is that there are people that view this site that don't have the hunting community's interest at heart and it would be wise to keep that in mind when posting things. they are watching and will use whatever ammunition they can gather to further their agenda. I've noticed danny_29 or whatever his name is bring this up time and time again and members just give him a hard time and don't seem to care. that's fine if you don't "give a flying f*** what the antis think" but when they try to get hunts banned and succeed (ie. grizzly) you might think otherwise

caddisguy
03-06-2018, 11:07 PM
Proguides advice and not engaging anti hunters on social media. I posted that after reading comments from some guy arguing incoherently. It made hunters look like idiots. It would be very difficult for an outside observer to take the comments, written as badly as some I have seen, seriously at all. And, it will do no good to win allies.

Proguide engages anti-hunters all the time and he does it quite well in a manner I would consider unorthodox, but I see it working very well on a high level. He is strategic and knows when to engage and how to engage. Between that and his field work, he is making a huge impact both in PR and ground zero. I hope he keeps doing what he is doing.

We do need to engage them, but we need to do it in a coherent and respectful manner. There are so many people who think poorly of hunting because of the PR they have been exposed to. If you can engage them respectfully, they will take into account the information you provide and re-evaluate their position. I can not count the number of people who cringed at the word "hunting' that I have won over who switched to having the ultimate respect for hunting and in some cases became hunters. Certainly dozens in person and likely hundreds online.

Keep in mind, only a small portion of the population (maybe 3-5%) are so radical in their views against hunting, they will never change their opinion. The vast majority of the people hunters think are anti-hunters are just people who have never heard an alternate view point and just wanted to comment on something to an express an opinion, as that is what social media is for the most part. It is the general public we are trying to win over. If someone makes a statement that opposes hunting and we attack, insult or act sarcastically--or even too preachy--towards them, it instantly pushes them / polarizes them towards the other side and they are no longer receptive to alternate view points even if it scientific.

As mentioned in my previous post, we do need to organize internationally to protect hunting and conservation world-wide. If we only worry about our local issues, international anti flocks will crush us every time. We need a place where we can unite to stand up for hunting rights in Texas, Alberta, New Zealand, etc, and like-minded people from those areas can do the same for us. That is how things are happening politically now and hunters have not caught up with the times. As a result, we are getting crushed, whether it be hunting, losing polls about whether meat should have sin taxes applied (apparently 50% of people in BC *want* a tax on meat because it's supposedly bad for health and the environment... either that, or PETA tipped the scales when the posted it on their forums) ... hunters, ranchers, firearm owners all need one place to go so we can engage this together in a united manner. That is the only option. If not, hunting is not going to be around for more than a decade or two.

DeepJeep
03-06-2018, 11:14 PM
Every body who is hating on OP's post need to realize that he meant it with good intention. We just proved that some of us cant take constructive criticism appropriately. I am not perfect either. I have and will make more typos but we can all try is all. There is nothing more to it. OP is not saying don't type from your phone or tablet or whatever else. OP is also not targeting your profession or spelling skills. I believe that he/she is just speaking generally. Lets all embrace that, take what you can or want to and move on.

lip_ripper00
03-06-2018, 11:28 PM
I don’t think anyone hates the OP, I don’t. He brought his opinion, I expressed mine. It’s all good. Someone else expressed an opinion..... opinions are like...... everybody has one.

caddisguy
03-06-2018, 11:31 PM
Every body who is hating on OP's post need to realize that he meant it with good intention. We just proved that some of us cant take constructive criticism appropriately. I am not perfect either. I have and will make more typos but we can all try is all. There is nothing more to it. OP is not saying don't type from your phone or tablet or whatever else. OP is also not targeting your profession or spelling skills. I believe that he/she is just speaking generally. Lets all embrace that, take what you can or want to and move on.

I'm not hating OP's post at all. It's valid. Try to conduct yourself as best you can. What I am saying is that is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. If we are talking about losing hunting opportunities, it is not because of spelling and grammar. The main reason is that we stick to local echo chambers and focus on local issues, while anti-hunting groups organize internationally and get involved in every local issue everywhere. This resulted in the final justification for the grizzly ban, 100%. It is admitted and there is no denying it. It was "emails from international sources" and the NDP did not care about spelling/grammar in this international feedback. Simply "for" or "against". Did people in Alaska come to bat for us? What about New Zealand? Texas? Alberta, Ontario, SK? Did we go to bat for them? NOPE. Our voice is small and fragmented because we keep it local. We are not playing in the same league. We have no international voice, so we are getting clobbered in numbers every time.

I have been saying this for a long time, few have really been able to grasp it. It's frustrating. Hunters, ranchers, AG workers, butchers, gun owners, people who don't want sin taxes on meat, etc. all need to unite internationally and work together. I feel like I am saying this until I am blue in the face, but then spelling and grammar gets more attention. It is frustrating, but no hate on OP's post. It's valid. Just trying to put things into real perspective. I might have to take lead on the idea that I am talking about, or at least set up the infrastructure and hand it off. I will make a separate thread on it in the coming days.

elch jager
03-06-2018, 11:37 PM
Some of us are more limited in our education than others. That is the beauty of it. Hunters come from all walks of life. Here we don't judge one another on our grammar and spelling. We accept and appreciate EVERYONE's point of view. If the grammar and spelling suggest a poster is not school smart, it is usually because they are bush smart. That's when I pay closer attention... because I am likely to learn something. The fellers here that struggle with the keyboard are often the ones with the most bushcraft to share.

Also, some here have suffered injury and stroke... their thoughts and experience are sound, but getting it out with a keyboard can present a challenge. My suggestion to you OP is to be a lot more open minded and accepting of others as they are.

03-06-2018, 11:59 PM
Some of us are more limited in our education than others. That is the beauty of it. Hunters come from all walks of life. Here we don't judge one another on our grammar and spelling. We accept and appreciate EVERYONE's point of view. If the grammar and spelling suggest a poster is not school smart, it is usually because they are bush smart. That's when I pay closer attention... because I am likely to learn something. The fellers here that struggle with the keyboard are often the ones with the most bushcraft to share.

Also, some here have suffered injury and stroke... their thoughts and experience are sound, but getting it out with a keyboard can present a challenge. My suggestion to you OP is to be a lot more open minded and accepting of others as they are.

The reality is that if you correspond with industry (MEC), government or individuals, your opinions will be given more weight if you present them coherently. A lofty degree isn’t required to communicate effectively. One of the most intelligent and articulate people I’ve ever known had a grade 8 education.

Pemby_mess
03-07-2018, 12:21 AM

Surprisingly I read stuff like that as normal, with no hinderance in processing speed, but You wouldn't be able to read a medical report written out like this. It only works for words that are in your rote working memory. As you dial up complexity, spelling and grammar become increasingly important for comprehension. I think that might be partially the OP's original point.

Language is a tool to help convey the thoughts and ideas in your mind into that of an other person's. It makes sense that we practice with our tools as often, and as effectively, as possible.

on the other hand, typing out streams of consciousness, with one hand, from a mobile is bound to result in some awkward sentences and cringe worthy spelling. Just the nature of the social media beast.

srupp
03-07-2018, 01:24 AM
I will try better.i will ask Susan to type my Post on bleeding rather than my ramblings .
Steven

Pinewood
03-07-2018, 07:17 AM
The reality is that if you correspond with industry (MEC), government or individuals, your opinions will be given more weight if you present them coherently. A lofty degree isn’t required to communicate effectively. One of the most intelligent and articulate people I’ve ever known had a grade 8 education.

This is exactly what I meant with my comment. Whether or not you like it, people will make judgments based upon people's writings. If the only way of forming an opinion of a person online, is through the things they write, I'd suggest it is pretty important.

srupp
03-07-2018, 07:29 AM
Hmmmm some of us are educated..however it doesn't show with poor grammar , spelling issues...i had a complete education..including not one but two years of grade 12..lol..not really but it sounded funny.
Now where was that wake up coffee....
Steven

Caribou_lou
03-07-2018, 08:00 AM
Phuk that’s been it all along ??? Anti hunting groups don’t hate hunters because we kill animals . It’s because of our poor grammar and spelling !

This is the last post I'll read on this thread. Because it's the only one worth reading.

ACE
03-07-2018, 08:05 AM
The OP had a valid observation and point.
It wasn't judgemental.
The fact is that posts, documents, literature of any kind, tends to be more credible if spelled correctly.

tyreguy
03-07-2018, 11:18 AM
I hate to beat a dead horse here but this thread has some very good points.
If you want to be recognized and our hunting rights protected now and into the future we need to be taken seriously. Best thing we can do is to present ourselves in a way that gains respect, all people know about us from the outside is what we write so there's nothing wrong with trying to improve what we do or say.
My whole life I've struggled with written English as i never properly learned in my early education years and although i graduated secondary school it was with a minimal pass. I never went to college or university and have only done some courses to help me along the way, the differences i made is to work hard and do my best in everything i do.
Over the years in my written and spoken skills improved which is self taught and the best learning method is reading. Reading correct spelling and grammar will improve writing skills and more importantly communications as you will be able to convey your thoughts and opinions clearly and understandable to your reading audience.
As a group i see we're often plagued by infighting and confrontation and from the outside we show our weaknesses, if we were civil together it would help us achieve much more internally with a positive approach and for the outside viewers a positive appearance.

03-07-2018, 11:46 AM
I hate to beat a dead horse here but this thread has some very good points.
If you want to be recognized and our hunting rights protected now and into the future we need to be taken seriously. Best thing we can do is to present ourselves in a way that gains respect, all people know about us from the outside is what we write so there's nothing wrong with trying to improve what we do or say.
My whole life I've struggled with written English as i never properly learned in my early education years and although i graduated secondary school it was with a minimal pass. I never went to college or university and have only done some courses to help me along the way, the differences i made is to work hard and do my best in everything i do.
Over the years in my written and spoken skills improved which is self taught and the best learning method is reading. Reading correct spelling and grammar will improve writing skills and more importantly communications as you will be able to convey your thoughts and opinions clearly and understandable to your reading audience.
As a group i see we're often plagued by infighting and confrontation and from the outside we show our weaknesses, if we were civil together it would help us achieve much more internally with a positive approach and for the outside viewers a positive appearance.

Great post!!

sawmill
03-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Aren't you a positive display for recruitment to the HBC site. Good reason why new people don't say much when you burn him for only 8 posts.
I do give the OP credit as he never made this suggestion on the end of someone's story post, only a general comment so not to single someone out.
Think about it.
Think about this. Peoples spelling has never bothered me to the point that I would take them to task on it. OP stepped out to make his point, I will make mine. Mind the story, not the spelling. Not everyone is an English teacher here. Really pisses me off when somebody gets jumped on for a spelling or punctuation mistake. Damn lucky to have guys on here talking . We don`t need a speech cops.You included.

Redthies
03-07-2018, 02:58 PM
It was never my intention to be a “speech cop”, only to suggest that it’s worth a bit of effort when writing to government, media or anti anything bodies. It just helps remove the stereotype of hunters and firearm owners as hillbillies. Even if some of us are a bit hillbilly, and proud of it!

tyreguy
03-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Think about this. Peoples spelling has never bothered me to the point that I would take them to task on it. OP stepped out to make his point, I will make mine. Mind the story, not the spelling. Not everyone is an English teacher here. Really pisses me off when somebody gets jumped on for a spelling or punctuation mistake. Damn lucky to have guys on here talking . We don`t need a speech cops.You included.

lip_ripper00
03-07-2018, 04:03 PM
This whole thread is a good example of why I will never write a letter to government, I would be worried about grammatical error’s and punctuation. I will leave it up to the brainiacs that can compose an articulate and well written letter.

islandhunter
03-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Why_cant_I_use_the_spacebar_on_this_site?_Seriousl y_it_makes_it_hard_to_post_:(

finngun
03-07-2018, 08:54 PM
This whole thread is a good example of why I will never write a letter to government, I would be worried about grammatical error’s and punctuation. I will leave it up to the brainiacs that can compose an articulate and well written letter.

why we dont let JELL write a letter to goverment??? IM sure M R.JELL--BELL can do it with style and real fashion,,gov..people are gonna be impressed..not regular letter with all puncutation in right spot..lots of entertainment and piquancy..with regular dingeli dong,,zap zip..etc.8-):cool::cool:...my vote for tath..

Boner
03-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Why_cant_I_use_the_spacebar_on_this_site?_Seriousl y_it_makes_it_hard_to_post_:(

It’s the site that does that?!? Crap I have to go downstairs and apologize to my keyboard. I also noticed the wheel of my wireless mouse scrolling back and forward through HBC pages. When I use my laptop. Which is rarely.

willyqbc
03-07-2018, 09:55 PM
I believe we can all agree that formal documents such as a resume, or an official letter to government should have attention paid to correct spelling and grammer. However...in this day and age, how you are perceived through your writing in informal formats such as texting, facebook, forums etc tends to be largely based on the age of the person reading it. By and large the younger generation does not give a rats arse about it....all it's about, is did you get your message across?....was what you were trying to say,actually communicated? It's all content over form. For those of us in the older generation, or getting into the older generation....we still believe correct grammer carries some weight in the world because it was drilled into our heads as important when we were young. The world is changing, and using perfect scholastic english is becoming less and less important to people every year.

JMO
Chris

Greenthumbed
03-07-2018, 10:27 PM
I think everyone should take a little pride in themselves. In the way we act, speak, look and write, among other things. If you strive to present yourself well then you most likely will present well. If you don't try at all then you probably won't present well.
BTW, I had to fix up a half dozen or more spelling mistakes in this short post!

Chad

Salty
03-08-2018, 09:20 AM
We're no different than any lifestyle group of people really, some will be good at writing and using the language, some will be extremely good at it and some will have concentrated their learning in other fields. Its no big deal. I agree with Greenthumbed though we all should present ourselves in a decent manner. It doesn't matter what you look like or how you dress or write just follow the golden rule. Don't be a dick.

Jelvis
03-08-2018, 12:03 PM
All depends how many words a minute you can type correctly with out looking at the key bord -- and it's faster getting the message across or is that massage plus your grammer-
When you type and look at the keys you spell gooder i mean bedder ha --yet when looking off the keys when typing a person hits more incorrect ones.
Jel -- only thing that's blind is love -- that's why I feel my way around -- TAKE a typing course like I did in high school 27 werds a minet -- :smile: -- they called me Fingers