PDA

View Full Version : Ribs

hparrott
03-05-2018, 06:44 PM
For those processing their own meat, what type of saw blade do you prefer for cutting racks of ribs? I usually just end up cutting the meat out between the ribs because of the bone splintering or being in the Field. Please and thanks! 27 days until spring bear :)

wrenchhead
03-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Fine toothed blade on the sawzall

Bear Chaser
03-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Fine toothed blade on the sawzall

That works the best.

sfp
03-05-2018, 10:01 PM
X3 on the sawzall with a metal blade.

plumberjustin
03-05-2018, 10:22 PM
I just use a clean hacksaw with 18tpi blade. Works just fine.

wrenchhead
03-06-2018, 07:09 AM
With the fine blade the bone dust just wipes off easily.

tigrr
03-06-2018, 07:09 AM
The least amount of bone fragments stayed on the meat when I cut really dry ribs. Then I actually washed the cut ends off in the laundry sink. I eat the ribs from bear, moose and the pig I butchered. Easiest way to cook ribs for me is in the slow cooker then a 1/2 hour in the oven well coated with sauce. Now I'm hungry!
The blade I find works best was a course one that made larger chunks of bone. You can then see them easier. And it cut faster.

bigbuzz
03-06-2018, 07:29 AM
I like to boil them first then roast them, removes saw dust and hair.
The least amount of bone fragments stayed on the meat when I cut really dry ribs. Then I actually washed the cut ends off in the laundry sink. I eat the ribs from bear, moose and the pig I butchered. Easiest way to cook ribs for me is in the slow cooker then a 1/2 hour in the oven well coated with sauce. Now I'm hungry!
The blade I find works best was a course one that made larger chunks of bone. You can then see them easier. And it cut faster.

tomahawk
03-06-2018, 07:35 AM
Butchers hand saw works well also. Short Ribs are one of the best cuts of meat on every animal and probably the most overlooked by so many hunters. I coat and braise them in the frying pan and then into the slow cooker for the day. Mouth watering tender and the flavours of the spices and broth used are amazing.

dmuth
03-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Have the meat cutting band saw, cut all the ribs up into about 4" long as they wrap nice.

blackhawk19
03-06-2018, 09:03 AM
fine tooth is better for ribs, just remember not to much pressure ,let the saw do the work

03-06-2018, 12:33 PM
I just grind the rib meat now... BUT when I didn't I just used a proper bone saw.... it is a bit more laborious but there is no bone chips because its manual....
I am very OCD on Ribs and when I want them I buy them.... Deer and moose ribs to me make better burger than they do ribs

IronNoggin
03-06-2018, 01:02 PM
.... Deer and moose ribs to me make better burger than they do ribs

You are missing out!
Simply have to learn the proper way of cooking them, and you will never go back to that way of thinking!
Kind of like shanks in that so many really miss out by considering them "lesser cuts" when in fact they are among the finest when treated right. ;-)

As for cutting them, I use the fine toothed long blade when I can get the sawzall to them.
And a fine toothed metal blade in the hacksaw when I can't.

Cheers,
Nog The Lover of Ribs!

sawmill
03-06-2018, 02:31 PM
I can`t stand deer ribs, too much tallow. Like eating a candle.

MichelD
03-06-2018, 04:02 PM
I've got a long manual meat saw. I just bring the whole front end (rib cage plus back) of a bear or deer home and we saw strips of ribs off of it that way.

There's nothing like bear ribs smothered in onions, garlic and tomato sauce slow cooked in a clay pot in the oven.

Mrs. loves the fatty deer brisket for Moroccan-style couscous.

moosinaround
03-06-2018, 04:19 PM
any fine toothed saw, and then wipe the bone dust off. I find cutting the meat from between the ribs too laborious, better as a finger food! Moosin

Salty
03-06-2018, 05:51 PM
Last year's deer I deboned everything and had the time so cut all the rib meat out too and left the rib bones on the carcass. Anyways I made a stew recently out of the rib meat and it was just awesome, cooked it slow a long time so you could cut the meat with a spoon. Nothing fancy just spuds, celery, carrots, onions, fennel a can of tomatoes and spices but man, that's the way to eat rib meat, almost tasted like Pho which also uses cuts with connective tissue and muscles well cooked.

Sitkaspruce
03-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Eastwing hatchet or any other hatchet, much more versatile for backpacking.

I use it to chop the ribs off, much quicker than a saw, as long as the blade is SHARP!!!

Have not had ribs in years as I do the gutless method and cannot be bothered to pack the bones out. But when I do, trim, smoke, steam and BBQ or broil, not the best, but pretty good!!!

Cheers

SS