PDA

View Full Version : Texas Aoudad and Javelina

David Heitsman
03-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Just returned from a hunt a couple hours east of El Paso where four of us took 4 solid aoudads and 4 - 5 javelinas. If you want a hunt for mountain game without the long logistics of getting to the game, consider TX. The weather was fantastic approaching 16 degrees or so every day. Don't ask for pictures as I don't know how to post any here but between the food and accommodations and guides, we had a blast. I call it a poor man's desert sheep hunt.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Saw those pictures on FB, DH.

Look like some dandy Doo-Dads!

Fun bunch of guys to hunt with!

Glad you had had a great time!

Cool country for sure.

SSS

Rackmastr
03-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Looks like a really good hunt you guys had!

I was lucky to get down there in 2012. Can't wait to get back again! The country was a blast and they sure are cool critters on the wall.

Springer
03-04-2018, 01:31 PM
What kind of Budget are you looking at to do a hunt like this including flights,Hunt,Hotel and getting your cape and horns back...Its on my Bucket list. PM if you don't want to post it here...thanks

russm86
03-05-2018, 09:23 AM
What kind of Budget are you looking at to do a hunt like this including flights,Hunt,Hotel and getting your cape and horns back...Its on my Bucket list. PM if you don't want to post it here...thanks

I too am curious about rough costs as I'm interested in starting some international hunts and this seems like a cheaper/safer/reasonable place to start.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-05-2018, 10:21 AM
http://www.ewahunting.com/aoudad-2-2/

Stone Sheep Steve
03-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Flights are pretty cheap. From wherever you are to Midland Texas.
We drove to Spokane and flew from there. Cheaper yet.

Rackmastr
03-05-2018, 10:31 AM
When I went, we took a cheap "Allegiant Air" flight to Phoenix and then drove down. Flights are pretty affordable these days.

Getting your cape/horns back requires a bit of paperwork and CITES permits. You can also have them brokered across.

Aoudad continues to rise in popularity and price. Even back in 2012 when I went the difference is quite a bit from what it is now. I think when I went (semi-guided) with flights, hotel, tips, price, etc I was likely under $3000. Dollar was very close to par from what I recall as well.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-05-2018, 12:16 PM
When I went, we took a cheap "Allegiant Air" flight to Phoenix and then drove down. Flights are pretty affordable these days.

Getting your cape/horns back requires a bit of paperwork and CITES permits. You can also have them brokered across.

Aoudad continues to rise in popularity and price. Even back in 2012 when I went the difference is quite a bit from what it is now. I think when I went (semi-guided) with flights, hotel, tips, price, etc I was likely under $3000. Dollar was very close to par from what I recall as well.

Are CITIES permits required for Aoudad? I tried searching the list but the link isn't working.
Still waiting for my Aoudad

Rackmastr
03-05-2018, 12:26 PM
Are CITIES permits required for Aoudad? I tried searching the list but the link isn't working.
Still waiting for my Aoudad

Ya they are CITES critters. I got a letter from the ranch showing the approx age of the ram I shot as well as ranch size when I applied for the permit. If you use a broker they will often apply for that permit on your behalf.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the info, T!
Going to attempt to do the paperwork on my own and get it shipped to just south of the border.

The taxi is backed up so ive got some time to sort things out.

Rackmastr
03-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Glad to give you some pointers on how it went for me and make sure you get what you need

TexasWalker
03-05-2018, 04:48 PM
You can shoot rocky mountain bighorn in Texas too, must be an exhilarating hunt.

David Heitsman
04-01-2018, 12:36 PM
I'd say hunt/tips, flights, hotel and rental car etc was a bit north of $6G US. I think we ended up on the tail end of a bargain as most of these hunts now start at $6G US in 2019. We have contracted a Canadian taxidermist to co-ordinate with an Oklahoma taxidermist for skull prep on Aoudads and Javelinas between the four of us. The shipping and documentation costs are not yet ascertained. They will also provide the Cites details as required. It does seem strange that a Cites is required for a feral animal but because they are listed in Africa, we must comply here even though they are by no means threatened.

Livewire322
04-11-2018, 11:46 AM
I'd say hunt/tips, flights, hotel and rental car etc was a bit north of $6G US. I think we ended up on the tail end of a bargain as most of these hunts now start at $6G US in 2019. We have contracted a Canadian taxidermist to co-ordinate with an Oklahoma taxidermist for skull prep on Aoudads and Javelinas between the four of us. The shipping and documentation costs are not yet ascertained. They will also provide the Cites details as required. It does seem strange that a Cites is required for a feral animal but because they are listed in Africa, we must comply here even though they are by no means threatened.

I’ve been thinking of doing a hunt like this for a long time. How do you get the meat back to Canada? Do you even bother?