PDA

View Full Version : MEC mailing address - info@mec.ca

VFX_man
03-02-2018, 10:42 AM
info@mec.ca

This is what I just sent. Let's load them up with how we feel.

---------------------------------

Bowing to a vocal minority opinion concerning the dropping of brands linked to U.S. gunmaker Vista Outdoors.

As a U.S. Citizen residing as a Permanent Resident in Canada, I can tell you the issue is not firearms. It is a social issue within the USA and is being exploited by a minority of anti's.

I and numerous people in Canada feel this is short sightedness on your part and will avoid giving business to your stores.

True North Strong and FREE seems to not be park of your business model.

604redneck
03-02-2018, 11:43 AM
I'll be sending a message as well

Stroodle
03-02-2018, 12:14 PM
I just wrote them a letter of disappointment as well - included a picture of my membership card cut into 3 pieces. Too bad, I liked their store but their decision cost them my business.

suburbboy
03-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Don't just cut your membership up, rescind it.

https://rq5862jalnt2ow16l1brj575-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/MEC_Withdrawal_Transfer.pdf

Hadda
03-02-2018, 01:05 PM
info@mec.ca

This is what I just sent. Let's load them up with how we feel.

---------------------------------

Bowing to a vocal minority opinion concerning the dropping of brands linked to U.S. gunmaker Vista Outdoors.

As a U.S. Citizen residing as a Permanent Resident in Canada, I can tell you the issue is not firearms. It is a social issue within the USA and is being exploited by a minority of anti's.

I and numerous people in Canada feel this is short sightedness on your part and will avoid giving business to your stores.

True North Strong and FREE seems to not be park of your business model.

Might want to spell check that. Also they probably wont know what anti means

Stroodle
03-02-2018, 01:56 PM
Thanks suburbboy,
I did just do that now too.
The crappy part of all this is that this is only going to affect people (employees) at places like Giro and Camelback and have no affect on Policy Change in the USA - poorly thought out, knee jerk reaction.

https://rq5862jalnt2ow16l1brj575-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/MEC_Withdrawal_Transfer.pdf

VFX_man
03-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Might want to spell check that. Also they probably wont know what anti means

So what word is not working for you?

Stroodle
03-02-2018, 03:26 PM
last line I suspect - should be 'part' not 'park'

caddisguy
03-02-2018, 04:28 PM

Thanks I was looking for that last night. Now I just need printer ink and will be emailing it off along with an explanation that a politically motivated boycott against a manufacture producing a "similar" small caliber semi-automatic rifle to the one used in a tragedy does not sit with me as a hunter, a Canadian or a rational person who recognizes such a campaign against a small caliber semi-automatic rifle popularized in the media, Hollywood and video games sets precedent for future campaigns against similar and larger caliber rifles commonly used for hunting or handguns used for sport shooting in Canada. Simply put, I can not support an organization engaging erratic emotionally charged political posturing or entertain the idea that boycotting a manufacture when their product is misused will do anything to reduce the amount, root cause or means of violence.

VFX_man
03-02-2018, 05:00 PM

Guess I need a grammar checker or better typing skills ;)

Thanks

OceanMon
03-02-2018, 09:33 PM
The sources to the problem are many. Easy access to guns, lack of mental health care, lack of community, firearms manufacturers lobbying government for as little regulation as possible, etc.

Given that they have done virtually nothing for so many shootings over so many years, it is time to apply pressure from as many sides as possible to somehow reduce, if not eliminate, these tragedies.

Peace to all.

Jagermeister
03-02-2018, 09:48 PM
I don't think it will have a big impact one way or the other.
MEC has been anti hunting for a very long time so this is just the tip of the iceberg. The supplying companies that MEC will now reject will find other avenues to sell their product line. So the only ones getting stiffed here will be MEC and those that are hardcore MEC customer/members. However, as companies seek to consolidate their marketability by absorption, MEC will find that they are handcuffed in what will be available to them.
MEC did top 5 million members in 2017. How many of those are hunters?

Brez
03-03-2018, 08:40 AM
Perhaps the e-mails and letters should have been sent before MEC made their decision. "Wait to see what happens" attitude is killing us. IMHO.

sawmill
03-03-2018, 03:43 PM
Just quit selling AR 15`s. Easy . Not a hunting rifle. .223. short barrel...I don`t want that in my hand when I see the Elk or the deer of a lifetime.
Sometimes you have to give a step to gain two. Yeah, you all can bitch about freedom but AR`s attract assholes. (you aren't all assholes but you know what I mean.)

IslandBC
03-04-2018, 08:24 AM
Just quit selling AR 15`s. Easy . Not a hunting rifle. .223. short barrel...I don`t want that in my hand when I see the Elk or the deer of a lifetime.
Sometimes you have to give a step to gain two. Yeah, you all can bitch about freedom but AR`s attract assholes. (you aren't all assholes but you know what I mean.)
Idiot comment . The AR15 is the most popular sporting rifle in the US if not North America. With the millions of AR15’s in the hands of responsible shooters and the hundreads of thousands of rounds shot per day, the percentage of AR15’s used in illegal shootings is so small it shouldn’t even be taken seriously .

IslandWanderer
03-04-2018, 09:14 AM

Interesting point. I guess it’s the slippery slope argument though. What’s the next evil gun...SKS’s?

03-04-2018, 09:19 AM

Your statement is nonsense

Gateholio
03-04-2018, 01:58 PM

By your own reasoning, you must own an AR15

IslandBC
03-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Response back from MEC :

Hi Dylan,

We regret that you are disappointed with the path we have chosen. As mentioned in the open letter from our CEO (https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/an-open-letter-to-mec-members-from-ceo-david-labistour), we will continue to engage with these brands as well as our peers in the outdoor industry in North America in ways that are consistent with our mission and values. We are prepared to have a wider discussion throughout our industry and North America. And to be clear, MEC is not against hunting, we know many MEC members hunt or practice responsible sport shooting.

Best regards,
Jess

caddisguy
03-04-2018, 02:08 PM
I don't think banning AR-15's would do anything. It would be like banning the Honda civic to reduce street racing. Would it actually help, or would people just put racing stripes on their Corolla's?

Anyone could just buy a different rifle and could cut the barrel if they wish to make it smaller.

If we are to believe the function of the AR-15 is the issue, then the only honest argument would be that all semi-auto action types should be banned (well over half of all firearms in North America I would imagine) That said, I think just as much damage could be done with other action types, so if there is a shooting with a pump action, to keep the idea that banning things will help, we would need to ban the pump action as well.

Gateholio
03-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Banning AR15's in the USA or Canada would achieve zero for public safety. They aren't even a "popular" choice as a murder weapon in the USA, and have probably never been used as a murder weapon in Canada. In Canada criminals tend to shoot other criminals with handguns, and when regular non criminal people commit murder with a firearm it's usually a hunting rifle or shotgun.

So if we look at banning an object to save lives, banning hunting rifles and shotguns would save more lives than banning AR15's

caddisguy
03-04-2018, 02:35 PM
The sources to the problem are many. Easy access to guns, lack of mental health care, lack of community, firearms manufacturers lobbying government for as little regulation as possible, etc.

I actually believe that rather than "lack of mental health care", the real issue is too much poor mental health care. It is worth noting that virtually every mass shooter has been prescribed one or more psychotropic pharmaceuticals such as SSRI's, anti-psychotics, benzos, etc. These medications actually list "aggression, suicidal thoughts / behavior" as side effects.

Here's the kicker. Roughly 1/4 of the population over 12 years old or 75,000,000 Americans are taking these drugs. They are over prescribed for the most bizarre reasons, ranging from death or a pet, to a child who dislikes doing homework, teen boyfriend/girlfriend break-up's, etc.

I think it many cases, these kids might have fantasies about doing horrible things because they are upset (teenagers generally don't have a great perception of a full outlook in life... something as simple as an embarrassing event or not getting the crush they are after seem end-of-the-word daunting) and all of a sudden they are given pills that alter their brain chemistry and in some cases their brain is altered to not fear consequences or even death.

For example, you might have some socially reclusive kid with poor social skills. He has trouble making friends, getting the girl he likes or whatever. He is full of jealously, envy and hate of those around him. Man... he'd really like to "show them". Since he is "shy", the doctor gives him an SSRI to address his "social anxiety". Unfortunately the drug does not remove the hate he has for his peers, but it removes the fear of the consequences of acting out his impulses. The result obviously a tragedy waiting to happen.

I truly believe there is a reason virtually every mass shooter has been taking these drugs. Obviously there is a causation vs correlation or chicken/egg argument to be had. Certainly these tragedies would still occur without pharmaceutical involvement in many cases, but I think the number could be greatly reduced if the problem of over prescription is addressed.

Also, I do recognize that these same drugs help many people and most people have no aggressive/suicidal side effects at all, but even if such side effects only occur to some degree in 10000 when you have 75,000,000 people taking them, there are going to be serious problems. There is no way 1/4 of the teenage/adult population in the US require pharmaceuticals to alter their brain chemistry in order to function, so we know there is a major problem here. I am surprised it does not receive more attention. I can understand why news networks are quiet about it, given their sponsors. I believe they should only be prescribed when absolutely necessary and perhaps only by psychiatrists rather than GP's and and walk-in clinics.

scoutlt1
03-04-2018, 02:54 PM
Great post caddisguy. Bang on as far as I'm concerned.

I would also add, that if a young child is prescribed one or more of these drugs, and then on his/her own decides to stop taking those drugs, what are the effects? The "problem" they have (right or wrong) was possibly never dealt with properly. Not necessarily by giving them a pill.

caddisguy
03-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Here is the letter I attached with my membership withdrawal:

Hello,

I am deeply concerned with the recent stance taken by Mountain Equipment Co-op to boycott Vista Outdoors simply because it manufactures a firearm similar to one involved in a recent tragedy.

As a Canadian, outdoor enthusiast, a hunter, and a rational person I recognize the AR-15 is a small caliber rifle which fires once each time the trigger is pulled--without the need to manually cycle the action--and is no different in function than equal or larger caliber rifles commonly used for hunting in Canada.

By definition, it is not an "assault rifle". In fact, it operates exactly the same way an old wooden-stock Ruger Mini 14 does--among hundreds or perhaps thousands of other models--which are completely non-restricted in Canada. The only difference is the appearance of the rifle and that it is highly popularized by the media, Hollywood and rap music.

If MEC is going to pander to emotionally charged and politically motivated social media campaigns and set the "boycott bar" at the AR-15, it is clear the same stance will be taken anytime a firearm is misused and causes significant harm. While there are many rifles identical in function, even a pump action shotgun or a revolver is capable of the same devastation that occurred. This boycott does nothing to impact the amount, root cause or means of violence. It only appeases emotional thinking or those exploiting the tragedy for political gain.

The reality is that more homicides are carried out with knives (such as those available at MEC) than rifles in general, let alone rifles "similar to the AR-15". When a product is misused--whether it be a knife, a truck, or a pressure cooker--is it rational to boycott the manufacturer? I think it would make more sense to draw attention to the root causes such as gang violence and mental health and the fact the individual in question was reported to the FBI multiple times prior to the event and no action was taken.

Instead, I feel MEC has taken the "easy route" and caved into the social media frenzy rather than attempting to engage in thoughtful discussion. This comes with great regret, as MEC has been a source of quality gear (backpacks, boots, head lamps, knives, axes, saws, mountain house, etc) and is conveniently located 5 minutes away from my home. However, I can not support an organization taking this political stance. Please find the attached application for membership withdrawal.

Thank you for the many years of service. Please forward my concerns along as deemed appropriate. If you wish to discuss my concerns in further detail, do not hesitate to contact me by email or by phone.

Wolfdown
03-07-2018, 08:06 AM
I hate to break the news to you guys.. but I’m positive they could care or less about what you think.

Redthies
03-07-2018, 09:23 AM
I hate to break the news to you guys.. but I’m positive they could care or less about what you think.

Youre probably correct, but if we don’t at least make an effort to be heard, we leave the floor open to the exact people we DON’T want to make decisions for us. I have no personal need for an AR, but I do like my 2 semi autos and chances are, someone might clue in that other firearms use a similar action and try to ban them all. You need to speak your mind!