PDA

View Full Version : UTV Vs ATV

PhotoShot
02-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Looking to get into a side by side, specifically the Honda Pioneer 500, so that I can take the kids out for some off season fun as well as go with the guys in hunting season. When I ran the idea by my hunting partners one of them suggested that it wouldn't be able to go everywhere their ATVs can go (typical BC terrain, North of Pemberton etc) despite the fact that it is only a 50" wheel base and only a few inches wider than the Yami Grizz and other ATVs we use.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge to dispel or corroborate this concern?

KodiakHntr
02-26-2018, 02:16 PM
The Pioneer is kind of a goofy setup. We use them at work, along with atv’s. The lack of a box, and low ground clearance coupled with the wide gear spacing tends to make them the worst of all worlds. Not as nimble as an atv, less carry rack capability than an atv, and a poor transmission for what utv’s are good at - balls to the wall screaming through the nasty shit - make them all kind of odd as far as a side by side goes. They do have an attractive price point though, but it comes at the cost of heavy concessions.

As for trail width/maneuverability, they aren’t horrid.

monasheemountainman
02-26-2018, 02:20 PM
RZR all the way, those other sxs are like golf carts, might as well stick with quads as they will do way more

604redneck
02-26-2018, 02:47 PM
RZR all the way, those other sxs are like golf carts, might as well stick with quads as they will do way more

Why so you can go get it stuck and need another one to pull it out?

604redneck
02-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Stick with a quad and your legs.....besides that whatever you do don't waste your money on a poolaris

Grumpa Joe
02-26-2018, 03:04 PM
I've had both. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. My Viking has a 64" wide track so it won't get into all the places that a ATV will. The question you need to ask is do you want to drive any vehicle into that kind of place? I use mine to get to the general area that I want to hunt and then leg it. That said it does go through places that I wouldn't want to take my truck through. Most deactivations are simply mild depressions for this thing. Has a dumping back bed with a 600 pound capacity, winches front and back, a rear receiver that I can use for towing and to put my game hoist for loading/unloading or hanging for skinning. Can sit 3 full grown men side by side comfortably, has a roof, windshield and soft sides and rear window to keep you isolated from the conditions that my ATV never could. Room in the back for all kinds of gear/dogs. As I said they all have their purpose, you just need to decide which ones are more important. I looked at a 500cc for a SxS but they don't have the oomph needed in my opinion so I went with a 700cc.

WWBC
02-26-2018, 03:15 PM
one nice thing about quads is that they fit in the back of a truck. Mine stays loaded all fall in case I need it.
That said, I find more often than not it stays in the back of truck wile I go off on foot.

The SXS would be nice for kids and taking buddies along though but how far would you want to go without a second machine...?

Island Idiots
02-26-2018, 03:35 PM
The Polaris RZR 570S with power steering is a fine machine. Fits between the wheel wells. Goes most places an ATV will. Its quick, and a lot of fun to drive. Great ride. Not a lot of storage space.

https://i.imgur.com/f9NNLWQ.jpg?1

monasheemountainman
02-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Why so you can go get it stuck and need another one to pull it out?

what you never get stuck? must not be having enough fun if you never get stuck.

604redneck
02-26-2018, 04:05 PM
what you never get stuck? must not be having enough fun if you never get stuck.

Lol I get stuck on rare occasions. I can just get out by myself.....

monasheemountainman
02-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Lol I get stuck on rare occasions. I can just get out by myself.....

i got stuck under your mom last night

KodiakHntr
02-26-2018, 04:15 PM
My atv weighs 1000 lbs. Its been stuck 3 times, and managed to winch itself out each time. Haven’t met anyone that could deadlift 1000+lbs out of muskeg. A side by side wouldn’t be any different.

604redneck
02-26-2018, 04:20 PM
i got stuck under your mom last night

My moms like 5'1" if you got stuck under her you really are as big of a pussy as you look like.

bigredchev
02-26-2018, 04:28 PM
I have a newer kubota diesel 4x4 utv

And an older honda 4trax

My honda has 2 dedicated trips annually. One up north for moose And grizz, and one in March for yotes and predators.

The reason outs dedicated is because it fit a in my shprtbox f350 without a trailer. That to me is huge, as I'm already towing a trailer or am not wanting to into scrappy winter conditions. It's so easy to trail ride as well, it's only an air cooler 300 4wd so it's very nimble.

Now my kubota I can pack a load of gear, a buddy and lunch and go for a day. My only downside is it's heavy as sin, and only fits on my car trailer.

It's not fast but marginally nimble. Great for long loop or overnight trips. Great for checking trail cams on a huge loop or for towing a boat into remote lakes. I just need a boat now.

Figured out what you want, where and low long your want to go and most of all how you will get the machine there.

These dictate which machine

monasheemountainman
02-26-2018, 04:31 PM
My moms like 5'1" if you got stuck under her you really are as big of a pussy as you look like.

yeah shes 5'1 both ways

bigredchev
02-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Either way, utvs and atvs are great conversation pieces.

Mine sits in the middle of my garage, we drink beer and fire it up to charge the battery and talk about all the fun we will have next season.

604redneck
02-26-2018, 04:34 PM
My atv weighs 1000 lbs. Its been stuck 3 times, and managed to winch itself out each time. Haven’t met anyone that could deadlift 1000+lbs out of muskeg. A side by side wouldn’t be any different.

Why would you buy 1000lb quad at that point you might as well own a side by side. Wait till the cable on ur winch breaks and you can't figure out what to do then.

604redneck
02-26-2018, 04:35 PM
yeah shes 5'1 both ways

Good one. I'm glad ur IQ has gone up a point or 2

604redneck
02-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Either way, utvs and atvs are great conversation pieces.

Mine sits in the middle of my garage, we drink beer and fire it up to charge the battery and talk about all the fun we will have next season.

You aren't wrong about that

Boner
02-26-2018, 04:40 PM
My honda has 2 dedicated trips annually. One up north for moose And grizz, and one in March for yotes and predators.

The reason outs dedicated is because it fit a in my shprtbox f350 without a trailer. That to me is huge, as I'm already towing a trailer or am not wanting to into scrappy winter conditions. It's so easy to trail ride as well, it's only an air cooler 300 4wd so it's nimble.

You would be surprised what the dealer wants for cv boots and clamps. Take care of yours! I just ordered 4 jobbers for my dad.

albravo2
02-26-2018, 04:51 PM
My Yamaha Rhino owes me nothing and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. When my kids were smaller we'd put one between us and one in the box on a cooler. Did a lot of fishing with that rig. Both my kids honed their driving skills with it. It is a bit loud underway but with a window up front and a heater it is hard to beat on a cold day.

PhotoShot
02-26-2018, 05:01 PM
The Pioneer is kind of a goofy setup. We use them at work, along with atv’s. The lack of a box, and low ground clearance coupled with the wide gear spacing tends to make them the worst of all worlds. Not as nimble as an atv, less carry rack capability than an atv, and a poor transmission for what utv’s are good at - balls to the wall screaming through the nasty shit - make them all kind of odd as far as a side by side goes. They do have an attractive price point though, but it comes at the cost of heavy concessions.

As for trail width/maneuverability, they aren’t horrid.

Interesting what you mention about the transmission. The fact these little Pioneers use a real transmission instead of a CVT seems to be what most reviews cite as the big positive, especially in manual mode with the paddle shifters. Has your experience using the trany in manual mode not been that impressive?

What you mention about ground clearance and the lack of a box on what is a rather large back rack are commonly mentioned in reviews and if I get one I will have the dealer swap out the small factory tires with 17s as well as upgrade the shocks with some walker evens.

With regards to the comments about lack of power and performance, I'm not one to aim for the mud or feel the need for speed, rather I was looking at the Honda Pioneer 500 specifically because I wanted a descent crawler and I was able to lift the rear end off the ground wiht the floor model at the dealer (with the help of another guy). Light weight was another ask as I like being able to manhandle them around in a tight space.

Assuming I can resolve the clearance issue with tire and shock upgrades, and I upgrade the rear rack to a box... does anyone want to say for sure this unit wouldn't be able to go anywhere the ATVs can (generally speaking) for hunting season?

Would suck to get left behind at some point while the others carry on during a hunt.

KodiakHntr
02-26-2018, 05:04 PM
Why would you buy 1000lb quad at that point you might as well own a side by side. Wait till the cable on ur winch breaks and you can't figure out what to do then.

A side by side wouldn’t fit in my short box dodge. And I didn’t want a side by side. I wanted the most powerful atv available, with what was the most aggressive tire available at the time. That one was purpose bought and set up for where I hunted elk, after spending 4 hours wrestling a small atv out of a gnarly trail with a big bull elk on the front and back racks on a trail that should only take 1 hour.

Big bikes have their place. Same as anything else.

KodiakHntr
02-26-2018, 05:19 PM
Interesting what you mention about the transmission. The fact these little Pioneers use a real transmission instead of a CVT seems to be what most reviews cite as the big positive, especially in manual mode with the paddle shifters. Has your experience using the trany in manual mode not been that impressive?

I really have no idea why so many folks are against a cvt transmission. Stepping on the go button and having more power or more wheel spin isn’t a bad thing in slick conditions. Being handicapped by having to let off the gas and shift into another gear can certainly be a good way to get stuck though.
The big thing I notice with with the Pioneer 500 though, is the gap between first and second gear. First doesn’t give quite enough speed, and second gives a bit too much, and not enough low end. I think that would be even more evident going to a larger rim and tire. You will likely lose a lot of low end torque there, unless you are doing some gear work. Easier to manage that on a cvt with changing your clutch weights.

To speak to your other concern, the only place you might get left behind is narrow, steeply off camber trails. Doesn’t take too much to be in a bad place if you are a wheel width too wide to keep the outside tire on the trail, instead of hanging off into space...

That said, You likely won’t end up in too many places like that. And a powersaw or Silky BigBoy will handle any trees across the trail that you encounter.

But don’t kid yourself into thinking that you and a buddy are going to lift the ass end up and over if you get high centered in the mud or on a rut. Lifting a dry machine up two inches on a flat show room floor is a BUNCH different than lifting a bike full of fuel and oil that is stuck on a branch stub on a log, with 100lbs of mud or snow or wet grass tangled around the tires.

Front and back winches aren’t a “nice to have” accesory. And don’t scrimp on quality there. Knock off brands are going to let you down when it matters the most. A shovel, axe, cable, those aren’t anything that gets left behind.

PhotoShot
02-26-2018, 05:48 PM
I don't mind a CVT belt driven drive, I think it's just a novelty that Honda's offering a real trany. All said though, you have certainly given me pause to reconsider now, I really appreciate the impressions of someone with first hand experience.

S.W.A.T.
02-26-2018, 06:38 PM
UTV all the way. Polaris ranger crew for us. Great reliable all around buggy

RackStar
02-26-2018, 06:45 PM
What ever you do. Go Yamaha!

My vote.

ATV.

dont buy a Polaris.

Pioneerman
02-26-2018, 06:46 PM
When Honda brought out their "Real Transmission" it was a headache to say the least. Far too many issues, but they have fixed that over time for sure. I have owned 18 atv's 3 three wheelers and two 8 wheel argos and now I have a side by side.There is no better CVT tranny on the market than Yamaha. The belt cvt and engine braking system is best on the market and extremely reliable. And I would hunt alone for a few days when moose hunting waiting for the others to show and I never once worried about break downs or getting stuck , just be prepared and think before you launch into something lol .And it keeps getting mentioned that they will not fit in the back of a truck, actually prob half of them will fit in a truck short box with gate down or full size. I doubt I will go back to an atv again, and yes some trails I can not go on with this, but I made the trails before , so I cut a few extra spots when I go through again. Everyone including me said Trikes are way too big you can not go anywhere a motorcycle can go , when they came out. Well that was wrong then just like a lot of comments about 4x4 atv's were wrong, and of course SxS. It is almost like saying I can go anywhere with my samurai, but you can never get where I go in a CJ jeep , and the CJ owner saying you can never take that Bronco where I can go and so on.

bigredchev
02-26-2018, 06:54 PM
I should have clarified:

My older honda 93 fourtrax will fit in my ford f350 shprtbox with large toolbox and L shapes tidy tank with the tailgate down.

That a a huge plus for me to able to go truck only wothou5 a trailer

PhotoShot
02-26-2018, 07:32 PM
How wide is your Yami SxS Pioneerman? I think most trucks with 8' beds are 48" wide between the wheel wells but you can always work around that. I want narrow as I go with all ATV'ers and I can't reasonably expect to hold them up on weekend hunt because I have to pull the chainsaw cord, they are pretty serious about etiquette rightly so.

I have to admit, having the wind and snow/rain out of my face on those long, wet all day alpine rides is also a big draw as well.. and I'm sure I'll be hearing a lot about that if I go the SxS route.

willyqbc
02-26-2018, 08:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JcrdwBw.jpg (https://imgur.com/JcrdwBw)

I've had a pioneer 500 for about a year, no complaints once I did a few things. First and foremost upsize from 24" to 26" tires. The "gap" between 1st and 2nd mentioned above was noticeably better as was the general performance of the transmission. It kind of felt clunky and loud with the stock 24's but became a whole new machine with the 26's. I actually believe the rig may have been designed around the 26's and the 24's were supplied stock cause they are cheaper and tons of buyers swap tires almost right away anyway. This obviously also helps with the ground clearance as well.
2nd, properly adjust the clutch....its very easy to do, lots of info on the web on how to. When set up properly you do not let off the gas to shift, you can power right through the shift smoothly.

with these changes 2nd gear still carries a lot of bottom end, I hauled a moose all our gear and 2 other hunters close to a km up a VERY steep section of gas line and never had to drop out of 2nd gear.

width wise, at 50" it will go anywhere a quad will. where the quad will have the advantage will be if you want to actually go through the timber to recover a critter, the height of the SxS roll bar/roof will limit you here. Overall manoeverability I gotta give the edge to the quad.

Comfort definately goes to the SxS, not only for the passenger, but i find I am not nearly as tired/sore after a day cruising in the SxS as I was after a day on the quad. Ability to have a roof,windshield etc also obviously adds to the comfort of the SxS.

Stability on the surface goes to the quad I think with its lower center of gravity, However when I removed the rear sway bars on my pioneer it made a world of difference in uneven terrain. I would not suggest this if you like to haul ass everywhere as it will increase tipping issues during high speed cornering. Of course if your into high speed bombing around....you're probaly not buying a pioneer 500!!!

All in all, having owned and used both, I think the small SXS (ie pioneer 500) is the perfect middle ground between a quad and some of the big SXS that are out there....plus its a Honda so you've got probably the best reputation for reliability in that market going for ya!

Hope that helps
Chris

PhotoShot
02-26-2018, 09:13 PM
Fantastic input, thank you kindly Willy, I may hit you up for another question here and there as I consider the accessories. How do you haul yours around may I ask?

tipper
02-26-2018, 09:31 PM
I have both and I would recommend you stay away from polaris and Honda. Have a look at the can am defender or Yamaha or Kawasaki.

willyqbc
02-26-2018, 09:35 PM
feel free to ask away photoshot! I either haul mine in the box of the truck or in my small utility trailer. Usually use the trailer because it has the back gate that drops down as a ramp...just way to easy getting it in and out!

As far as accesories, there is a ton you can do with a SXS, most of which you can do yourself without paying for the big $$$ factory accessories. The only accessory I bought was the rearview mirror. If you can weld or have access to a friend who welds its only limited by your imagination.....i'll post up a few of my homemade mods here for you.

first and foremost was storage box....just a standard truck box with a piece cut out then welded back together, use the excess material to make the piece that holds jerry can, chainsaw etc

http://i.imgur.com/mqjG01b.jpg (https://imgur.com/mqjG01b)

PhotoShot
02-26-2018, 09:51 PM
I was already admiring your custom roof rack and cargo deck. I was quoted $400 for the rear box kit from the dealer but I wasn't even sure wanted it, your roof rack on the other hand ;)

The twin gun rack for the underside of the roof at $260 seems reasonable, but the shock upgrade to Elka's (not walker evans) at $1350 is something I'm not so sure about. Did you get a windshield with yours?

Tipper, I need to stay within 50" so the Yami and Defender won't work for me. The Can-am Maverick Trail is a 50" option that would work but it's a heavy beast and $7k more with the extras I'd want.

willyqbc
02-26-2018, 09:51 PM
I have both and I would recommend you stay away from polaris and Honda. Have a look at the can am defender or Yamaha or Kawasaki.

Quads and SXS's generate more Ford vs Chevy style debates......than Ford vs Chevy!!:lol:

Pioneerman
02-26-2018, 09:59 PM
How wide is your Yami SxS Pioneerman? I think most trucks with 8' beds are 48" wide between the wheel wells but you can always work around that. I want narrow as I go with all ATV'ers and I can't reasonably expect to hold them up on weekend hunt because I have to pull the chainsaw cord, they are pretty serious about etiquette rightly so.

I have to admit, having the wind and snow/rain out of my face on those long, wet all day alpine rides is also a big draw as well.. and I'm sure I'll be hearing a lot about that if I go the SxS route.

I actually have a Arctic cat prowler it is 60" wide , you drive over fender wells with ,most utv not between. I know a guy who also pouts his Rhino in his truck. I use a trailer mainly becasue it is safer that climbing into a high truck. Also getting in and out of machine if rails are icy or snow covered can be dangerous. I am older and fall easy but do not bounce well lol. A side by side with a windshield works very well, and with mine the engine is between the two seats so you get heat through engine cover to help keep warmer. If you have time you can look around and find a really good deal with low kms for a great price

willyqbc
02-26-2018, 10:03 PM
No, didn't get a windshield on mine...not sold on having one....have ridden with guys who have to stop every 5 minutes to clean the windshield, and then after a seasson, no matter how carefully you try and clean them, the lexan is scratched all to hell.

Roof and rack were pretty easy, 1/8" aluminum bent to fit and attached with muffler clamps...roof rack...well thats where the welder comes in!:lol:

Muffler clamps of assorted sizes are your friend! I think the only holes I drilled on the bike anywhere were to attach the checkerplate box to the back rack and mounting a toolbox under the hood. front bumper and brush guard are both attached with muffler clamps....so is my spotting scope mount!

http://i.imgur.com/ZxLj1Iy.jpg (https://imgur.com/ZxLj1Iy)

For packing guns the plano hardcase attached to the back cage works really slick, if its not wet out I leave the back cover off and you can get your rifle out Pronto. also attached a couple quad style holders to the back cage, and a single in the cab if your want your rifle really close to hand

http://i.imgur.com/SUVkeNo.jpg (https://imgur.com/SUVkeNo)

PhotoShot
02-26-2018, 10:29 PM
Bravo on the custom mods...!

I now see a very good reason why I'll get the "removable" windshield, I bet you'd innovate a way to fasten it to the back of the roll cage PDQ when not in use. The Maverick Trail actually has a full glass windshield with included wiper blade.. seriously doubt it's easily removed though.

kevan
02-27-2018, 05:04 AM
We bought two 400 Arctic Cats way back when and couldn’t be happier with them.
They don’t get used as much lately, old age has something to do with that.
I have a blade on mine for pushing snow, used it the other day, usually once every winter.
My Dear Wife loves hers and according to her its faster than mine.
As for reliability they have never been back to the dealer, never had an issue...

Timberjack
03-14-2018, 07:03 PM
What about power steering on a sxs? I see quite a few without power steering. I see spectra is selling the rzr 900 without power steering for $13,900 which is comparatively quite reasonable. Whaddaya think?

white moose
03-14-2018, 07:17 PM
I've used a sxs a few times and foung them very dusty

sxs kicks up a lot of dust in the seating area i've found. Get a jeep instead and then buy a can am atv.

Pioneerman
03-14-2018, 07:36 PM
I keep hearing about the dust in a SXS but I have yet to see it. I was told if you have a full windshield you get a lot of dust, I have a full windshield and do not get a lot of dust either. Also mine is a folding type and I pretty much keep never fold it open, and no dust,and if there was why would it be any worse than a atv, same tires on the ground stirring the dust up? I know a passenger on a atv gets covered in layers of dust, so maybe the length of the utv and box being back there keep dust at bay and swirls before back of cab. I do not have power steering and half my UTV friends do not either and no issues, but of course with is easier in tight turns, but we never had it before do not miss it.

S.W.A.T.
03-14-2018, 07:47 PM
As a sxs owner I can confirm the dust issues. But if I didn't want to get dirty I wouldn't get out of the shower

warnniklz
03-15-2018, 08:54 AM
If you're looking to stay with honda... get their ATV before their side by side. If you want a side by side, go with Artic Pussy, Kawisucky, Poohlaris or Crap-Am

604redneck
03-15-2018, 11:13 AM
If you're looking to stay with honda... get their ATV before their side by side. If you want a side by side, go with Artic Pussy, Kawisucky, Poohlaris or Crap-Am

Yamaha wolverine 700 is a good sxs

Grumpa Joe
03-15-2018, 08:25 PM
I have a windshield, plastic side doors and rear window on my Viking and the only dust issue is in the rear cargo bed much like you get in your truck bed or on your tailgate from the dust being sucked into your slipstream. You go into the back-country and you are going to come out covered in dirt or mud to some extent.

Dubya
03-15-2018, 10:15 PM
I own a Pioneer 500. It’s not too bad of a machine. not much power but small enough to pretty much go where a quad goes. I like the rack instead of a box. I built my own boxes for different jobs. I do have buyers remorse but it’s all do to with where I bought it and getting tracks for it.

My problem with it was before I purchased it I asked the guy at the at the WL Honda if it would be powerful enough for tracks. Of course I got oh yeah for sure it is. So I bought it with the intention of putting tracks on in a couple months. Used it that fall for hunting season and liked it. Then came the snow so I ordered the tracks and the doors. Looked bad ass but was just bad. First the doors, bought them just from looking at a catalog for $400 bill, bad move. They are a bat wing type door like the saloon doors in the westerns. Kinda of half ass connect to the little door already on there. Massive gaps all around the door with the biggest being about 6”. The tracks kick up snow so it’s pretty much impossible to not get covered in the cab. Especially in the fluffy stuff. So when I go anywhere I jam gloves coats etc in all the holes. Now for the machine power with the tracks. They did tell me you lose power when you put them on. No big deal for me, I didn’t want to fly around anyway. Problem is you really really have to push the machine to go anywhere. It’s a five speed but you can forget about the 5th gear and only the 4th down hill with little snow. I use it for work so I just dealt with it that is until the motor went. The tracks kick up so much snow even when going 10 km an hour so the snow piled up behind the seat where the air intake was. Engine blew with me way in the bush behind Lac La Hache. Pulled the machine out with my skidsteer and take it to Honda. They fixed the engine and put a snorkel on with me thinking warranty because the machine is about 5 months old. Well Honda won’t cover the warranty because the tracks are compulast and compulast won’t cover anything but the tracks. I bought the machine and tracks from WL Honda and had them install them. You would think they would stand by their products. Nope, Honda owner offered to pay half of the $2000 bill but I said not a chance. Two years later we are still bickering over who is paying, probably end in court I guess. Never been there and it might even cost more but what the hell.

So again the machine itself is fine for putting around hunting and for kids. Not for anything else.

tipper
03-16-2018, 06:47 PM
I own a Pioneer 500. It’s not too bad of a machine. not much power but small enough to pretty much go where a quad goes. I like the rack instead of a box. I built my own boxes for different jobs. I do have buyers remorse but it’s all do to with where I bought it and getting tracks for it.

My problem with it was before I purchased it I asked the guy at the at the WL Honda if it would be powerful enough for tracks. Of course I got oh yeah for sure it is. So I bought it with the intention of putting tracks on in a couple months. Used it that fall for hunting season and liked it. Then came the snow so I ordered the tracks and the doors. Looked bad ass but was just bad. First the doors, bought them just from looking at a catalog for $400 bill, bad move. They are a bat wing type door like the saloon doors in the westerns. Kinda of half ass connect to the little door already on there. Massive gaps all around the door with the biggest being about 6”. The tracks kick up snow so it’s pretty much impossible to not get covered in the cab. Especially in the fluffy stuff. So when I go anywhere I jam gloves coats etc in all the holes. Now for the machine power with the tracks. They did tell me you lose power when you put them on. No big deal for me, I didn’t want to fly around anyway. Problem is you really really have to push the machine to go anywhere. It’s a five speed but you can forget about the 5th gear and only the 4th down hill with little snow. I use it for work so I just dealt with it that is until the motor went. The tracks kick up so much snow even when going 10 km an hour so the snow piled up behind the seat where the air intake was. Engine blew with me way in the bush behind Lac La Hache. Pulled the machine out with my skidsteer and take it to Honda. They fixed the engine and put a snorkel on with me thinking warranty because the machine is about 5 months old. Well Honda won’t cover the warranty because the tracks are compulast and compulast won’t cover anything but the tracks. I bought the machine and tracks from WL Honda and had them install them. You would think they would stand by their products. Nope, Honda owner offered to pay half of the $2000 bill but I said not a chance. Two years later we are still bickering over who is paying, probably end in court I guess. Never been there and it might even cost more but what the hell.

So again the machine itself is fine for putting around hunting and for kids. Not for anything else.

Compulast? You certainly need a pre filter or snorkel to run these things and the dealer should have known that. And $400 for doors? What are they a homemade tarp setup? Can am doors are over $5000

Pioneerman
03-16-2018, 07:05 PM
You can run tracks on a 300 cc machine , so a 500 is fine. The thing is most atv dealers know nothing at all about track and what you might be expecting when using them. Dealerships say your warranty is void if you install tracks unless of course it has their sticker on the side. Camoplast, now called Camso of course will only cover track issues, not your machine as they never sold it , built it or even know what condition it is in. I have never heard of any other machine needing a pre filter or snorkel, but maybe your model does, but then that would only depend on snow conditions, dry fluffy snow flies a lot more than wet snow. All track brands kick up snow no matter what style atv or utv.

tomahawk
03-16-2018, 08:11 PM
you'll get a wide array of opinions on both of them cause they are 2 different units and only some of the benefits and disadvantages will of each will be similar in use. You need to determine what you will use a new machine the most for? once you know that then the right choice is much easier for you and your family to make. .

HappyJack
03-17-2018, 09:32 PM
Compulast? You certainly need a pre filter or snorkel to run these things and the dealer should have known that. And $400 for doors? What are they a homemade tarp setup? Can am doors are over $5000

$5000 for doors?? A sucker is born every minute they say.

GEF
03-18-2018, 05:17 AM
Samurai or Tracker !Do I need to list the advantages.
My quads all have spiderwebs on them.Its a no brainer