PDA

View Full Version : spring bear 2018

scotty30-06
02-25-2018, 06:47 PM
Well with spring bear season closing in fast im wondering of people plans, goals, experience they hope to achieve. ..places they want to check out (keep vague)....whos is looking for color phase and who is looking for the jet black....lets hear it folks!!

604ksmith
02-25-2018, 06:53 PM
I got a colour phase last year, and it was rather small. This year I'd like to find a large jet black bear, but will settle for anything to fill my freezer.

I think I might head over to Vancouver Island for the first time.

Wild one
02-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Just going bear hunting and odds are I will spend more time helping others fill tags then hunt myself

If I see the right bear out alone then it will be my turn. It’s got to be real big or a nice one and I am in the mood

Have this habit of changing my mind once up close lol

IslandWanderer
02-25-2018, 07:01 PM
We’ll be open to taking a smaller bear that’s good to eat. We’ve got a really nice one at the taxidermy currently. North island, nice hotel, good meals, hunt by day and swill beer in front of the tv by night. We usually see lots, so we’ll pick out one or two for the butcher.

One of my goals is to get satellite radio in the truck by the spring. The big goal for 2018 is to get wolves! We’ve heard them where we hunt, but have never seen them.

Wentrot
02-25-2018, 07:01 PM
Cant wait, although I will more than likely be road hunting a lot more than I like due to some health difficulties. Regardless I am one eager SOB.

Chrispryn
02-25-2018, 07:04 PM
Okanagan blonde phase for me hopefully

Fella
02-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Probably shoot one when I see one

scotty30-06
02-25-2018, 07:29 PM
I am looking for a heavy jet black bear....seen tons of sign near a spot of mine during blacktail season....but also found a spot im gonna hike in and spend a couple nights tent hunting in grasst bowl.

srupp
02-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Hmmm most colored bears are under 6 feet.
Personally headed out for a specific red colored massive black bear..seen him 2 of last 3 years..all within 500 yards.
Going to help a friend get his first black bear with a stick and string..
Good luck to all
Steven

RackStar
02-25-2018, 07:40 PM
No rush for me,
will be out every night after work looking for The big guy. Only pulling the trigger on a rug worthy bear.

Saving one one tag for a August berry bear.

snipersights
02-25-2018, 07:47 PM
I’m heading out to a spot sorta in the cowichan area. Will start April 1st as always. Should have the truck by then up to north island for may long for the big boys can’t wait.

gutpile
02-25-2018, 08:11 PM
i'll be going to the Hope dump for a bear , there are tons of bears there

Greenthumbed
02-25-2018, 08:11 PM
I still have a lot of bear meat and lard in the freezer from the one I took in the fall. I'll get a tag and hit the bush looking around for one, but I'll have to decide if take a shot if and when an opportunity presents itself.

waserwolf
02-25-2018, 09:04 PM
1st time hunting Black Bear seriously was last year. Gonna give it a good College try this year. Last year I was too late in the Season. I'm off the middle of May and hopefully I'll have a Wall Tent by then. PUMPED!!!!

Frank grimes
02-25-2018, 09:06 PM
I plan to do some hiking, scouting,exploring in a newish area. Seen bear sign and a few smaller bears there last year. I think I will just pack the rifle and kill kit. If I see one I like I’ll take it. If not I plan to spend more time outdoors then ever this year, so it’s win win. I also take my rifle when I go fly fishing,never know when a monster will cross the road

snipersights
02-25-2018, 09:10 PM
Don’t wait till mid may get out there and scout those buggers. You see a lot when you’re looking closely. I saw lots of bears last year first week of April

StuBrown
02-25-2018, 09:40 PM
My father and I are hoping to go into the Horsefly/Likely area. We have never been in there before and we will take what ever we see that is legal to fill the freezer for the summer. My 4 kids love bear meat. We are hoping to get 2 spring bears.

srupp
02-25-2018, 09:48 PM
My father and I are hoping to go into the Horsefly/Likely area. We have never been in there before and we will take what ever we see that is legal to fill the freezer for the summer. My 4 kids love bear meat. We are hoping to get 2 spring bears.

Both areas hold tons of black bears..going to be a bit later..most snow in 15 years..over the years Mother's day has been my most successful spring black bear date...shot a huge chocolate bear mothers day in Horsefly.
My first choice for this spring.
Steven

sakohunter
02-25-2018, 09:57 PM
I have always purchased a Black bear tag and have never filled one. I have seen quite a few bears while out hunting, but never felt the urge to fill it. With changing times and my family real enjoying eating wild game, we have decided to add bear meat to our diet. I will be out in region 3, looking in the early green up areas to find that nice spring bear. Good luck to everyone!

gutpile
02-25-2018, 10:01 PM
I wonder if the animals rights groups will now protest the blackbear hunt this spring since they got the grizzly hunt band.
I think we will soon hear them squawking come April .
Can 't see why they wouldn't.

snipersights
02-25-2018, 10:17 PM
Gut pile your absolutely right we gotta be careful what kind of media attention we attract from now on

whitlers
02-25-2018, 10:17 PM
I closed last season by letting a beauty red/chocolate beast walk because it was getting dark fast. I hope he lived through this fall and I'll be looking for him this spring!

Caribou_lou
02-25-2018, 10:19 PM
I will buy my 2 tags a plan do a trip up towards Meziadin with the bow, and a friend looking for his first Big Game Harvest. Hope to spend a weekend and do my part in predator control. I think bears kill a pile of Calf Moose every spring! I like to have a tag in my pocket while trolling Babine lake in June. Often see bears cruising the lake shores.

45freezer
02-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Hoping to harvest my first bear this spring, would also be my first big game animal with the bow. Got a jet black belly dragger on trail cam at the end of November and will be targeting that area early April in hopes of catching up with him, won't pass up anything legal though as my freezer is currently empty. Good luck out there!

Throwaway
02-25-2018, 10:57 PM
Region 3/5 borderlands. Trying to take up fly fishing but I’ll be packing the aught-six too.

Kill-da-wabbit
02-25-2018, 11:20 PM
I can't decide what I'm going for this year. Saw an awesome cinnamon, and a couple with beauty chest patches last year, but they were 150km apart. Maybe I'll go for the cinnamon if the road will allow it. Both were north of Kamloops on unplowed roads. I was stopped by a 10ft snow drift at the middle of May. Maybe I'll use the snow drift to cool my hide and meat...

TCMX
02-26-2018, 12:00 AM
Struck out last year first the first time in 3 years, on bear's, because i could'nt put the bow down. Might pull the rifle out and the end of May this time.

decker9
02-26-2018, 07:30 AM
I plan (hope) on a repeat of this story this spring, http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?127351-A-bear-with-grandads-rifle, but this time with my grandmothers old pre 64 .375 h&h. Same rules will apply, with one addition, hopefully my 5 year old daughter will be with me.

IronNoggin
02-26-2018, 01:26 PM
Prior to last fall it had been many years since I have taken down a Bruin.
The one I did collect was large, provided many a fine meal, cases of excellent lard, and a fine rug (which I gave to the Rancher whose property it used to roam).

Still have some of the hams & smokies left, but the pepps are getting a tad scant.

I will buy a tag in the spring (always do), but it will have to be the "Right Bear" once again before I touch one off.

Shortly after I took the one I did out, another boar of damn near the same size moved in. He was apparently seen staggering drunkenly around in February (not unusual behavior for Island Bears) and was noted to still be packing a lot of lard.
Rancher who saw him asked me if I'd do the job this spring. I instead turned one of his hunting neighbors onto the mission, if, and ONLY if the bear becomes a problem. If not, I will do my damnest to harvest him come fall, with the thought of more good munchies, and a replacement for our lard larder.

Another Buddy is considering a raid from Hardy up into the Great Bear Rainforest (LOL every time I see or say that!) with the thought of taking out a decent handful of that area's coastal Big Boys. If that gets off the ground, I am fairly certain I will gleefully attend... ;)

Best of Luck out there this spring Folks!
Looking right forward to the tales & pictures as they come in...

Cheers,
Nog

LYKTOHUNT
02-26-2018, 02:06 PM
For lots of years I have gone bear hunting and never shot one, I could have every year, likely lots of them but never wanted to wreck a good camping trip by actually shooting one. This year I think I will change that, what with the current government you never know what you will be able to hunt again and its more than time to help with thinning down the predators a bit, might help save a fawn or calf.

MichelD
02-26-2018, 02:11 PM
I don't get too excited in February about bears. I've got a new scope to mount on my rifle and sight in anyway.

That said, I'll be going out later in the season to where I got one last spring to scout out the area for the fall deer migration as much as for a bear. Found lots of deer tracks in the snow but never saw a buck so I'm looking for a pinch point.

RugDoctor
02-26-2018, 02:12 PM
All goes according to plan....Van Isle BB hunt in May. Possibly now only, but as I've mentioned before...if it gets late in the hunt I'm sure the rifle will make an appearance.

jlirot
02-26-2018, 03:07 PM
I have a question. I have never hunted bears. I have shot deer and lots of small game so I'm certainly not a newb. Moved to the LML from points south a few years ago. I never really wanted to shoot a bear - I've eaten it in AK and it was ok but have never really wanted to shoot one. After living here for a while I've changed my mind. I've seen tons of bears out driving and more sign than I thought possible hiking and fishing. I'm ready to pop one.

Now to the question - are spring bears as good eating as fall bears? I always assumed that the hide (if I wanted to keep it) would be much better in the fall. Also, shouldn't there be a lot more fat reserves and better eating meat in the fall after they've been fattening up?

As a side note, I saw a bunch of bears in Mission last fall. They were FAT from eating corn. Would love to get permission to hunt some of the farms down there and get a nice corn fed bruin. That's got to be pretty tasty.

When I do go, I'm not after a huge boar. I'd just as soon shoot a young, tender, juicy, fat bear vs. an old cranker with a big head.

IronNoggin
02-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Now to the question - are spring bears as good eating as fall bears? I always assumed that the hide (if I wanted to keep it) would be much better in the fall. Also, shouldn't there be a lot more fat reserves and better eating meat in the fall after they've been fattening up?

IMO spring bears are not nearly as good grits as are fall berry or orchard bears. They've had all summer to get over the sleep, and are generally fairly fat (great for rendering) at that time of year. Better flavor at least for me too.

Unless you shoot a fall bear rather late, an early spring bear will generally have a better hide. The sooner you collect him out of the hole the better. In a matter of a few days they will start to rub, and that ain't what you want if seeking a rug...

When I do go, I'm not after a huge boar. I'd just as soon shoot a young, tender, juicy, fat bear vs. an old cranker with a big head.

The boar I shot last fall had a noggin over 22 inches, and went 7'6" nose to tail.
Not small.
He was and is tender, juicy and has an excellent flavor.
Not all the older and larger bears are tough...

Cheers,
Nog

Wild one
02-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Spring vs fall bear

in ways i proffer spring bear because because they are lean and not so greasy. Early spring bears have the best hide but later in the spring you need to watch for rubbing. Spring bears are lighter to pack out because they lack the fat stores lol

Fall berry fed bear is the best but come fall you need to beware bears feeding on salmon they are not good. Meat is greasier with a fall bear. More bear fat to render if you want lard for baking. Fall bear come Oct on can have nice hides.

Both can be good but but personal preference is the lean spring bear myself

btridge
02-26-2018, 03:48 PM
We eat lots of Black Bear, I very much prefer a spring bear as it is lean and if you are little picky, the hide makes a very nice rug with great claws.

walks with deer
02-26-2018, 03:57 PM
JLirot

I can probably get you permission in the corn fields.

depending on witch one.

Keep in mind if its Silverdale its shotgun with shot or bow only and those bears also frequent down eg dump bear.. if there out by the slough they are also salmon bears. hatzic prarie they will also be garbage bears. by all means thin some out but in my opinion nothing beats a cloverfilled spring bear.

mmckimmi
02-26-2018, 04:45 PM
Okanagan bear for me! This will be my first attempt at a bear. Hoping to get out in the woods with a HBC member that has reached out

hawk-i
02-26-2018, 04:46 PM
I kill one for burger every year...this year won't be any different.

tko
02-26-2018, 04:51 PM
I’m going to make sure I get my two BB this year in tribute to the anties!

jlirot
02-26-2018, 04:52 PM
JLirot

I can probably get you permission in the corn fields.

depending on witch one.

Keep in mind if its Silverdale its shotgun with shot or bow only and those bears also frequent down eg dump bear.. if there out by the slough they are also salmon bears. hatzic prarie they will also be garbage bears. by all means thin some out but in my opinion nothing beats a cloverfilled spring bear.

They were on the slough. But, they were FULL of corn. Salmon was just getting started so their shite was nothing but corn. I'll PM you about getting permissions. It would be great to get some spots to take the dog out as well. Always better to be on private land with less people ...In the public areas around here I rarely even go out - too many stupid people.

Cheers,

caddisguy
02-26-2018, 06:10 PM
My goal is very specific. I am going to shoot this guy. Needs to be put down at first presented shot. I have been thinking about him a lot... kind of a household topic.

- He walked through my camp (while I was changing and not ready) mid April last year

- He charged at me late August while I was retrieving an arrow

- A week after he charged me, pretty sure he walked up to the jeep while I was sleeping and put his face up against the plastic window an inch or so away from my head (I yelled, flipped on the light and turned on the ignition and never saw him after, could be a dream I don't remember waking up from but 99% sure it happened, so real... lots of moonlight, heard him getting closer and closer and then hello, his face up against mind with a thin layer or plastic in between) ... either way, no fear of people and charged me so I want him in my freezer where he won't bother me or anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyWh74w7WU

Good timing for this thread. I was actually just thinking about bear season and going through old footage. I have a lot of footage from 2017 spring bear hunting and a new laptop to edit on, so I'll be putting out gooder soon (before the season opens) to get everyone even more inspired.

Hoping caddisgirl or my brother get to pull a trigger or two this year.

SF2020
02-26-2018, 06:29 PM
I'm trying for my first bear this fall in the Pemberton area... anyone near Pemberton that will do a rug/butcher? I took my first blacktail this fall all the way to Pitt Meadows and would rather find a local!!

RackStar
02-26-2018, 06:36 PM
A good taxidermy is worth travel. It’s something you will have forever. And butchering can be done at home!!

i refuse to pay a butcher for anything other then sausage. Unless I had a moose to deal with and work the next day.

Nice brown mixed in with that bear caddisguy. Go get em. Reminds me of my first opportunity to harvest a bear when I was a rookie. Came hiking around a bend and was face to face with a really big pure blondie. I think I was more startled then the bear and totally blew my shot. Haunts me to this day as I don’t think I will see a colour phase bear that big again.

Good luck spring bear hunters!! Everyone take 2 this year since they stripped us of our grizzly hunt.

Wild one
02-26-2018, 06:40 PM
My goal is very specific. I am going to shoot this guy. Needs to be put down at first presented shot. I have been thinking about him a lot... kind of a household topic.

- He walked through my camp (while I was changing and not ready) mid April last year

- He charged at me late August while I was retrieving an arrow

- A week after he charged me, pretty sure he walked up to the jeep while I was sleeping and put his face up against the plastic window an inch or so away from my head (I yelled, flipped on the light and turned on the ignition and never saw him after, could be a dream I don't remember waking up from but 99% sure it happened, so real... lots of moonlight, heard him getting closer and closer and then hello, his face up against mind with a thin layer or plastic in between) ... either way, no fear of people and charged me so I want him in my freezer where he won't bother me or anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyWh74w7WU

Good timing for this thread. I was actually just thinking about bear season and going through old footage. I have a lot of footage from 2017 spring bear hunting and a new laptop to edit on, so I'll be putting out gooder soon (before the season opens) to get everyone even more inspired.

Hoping caddisgirl or my brother get to pull a trigger or two this year.

Love the title of your video lmao

Best of luck sounds personal lol

SF2020
02-26-2018, 07:14 PM
I'm not opposed to travel, just curious if someone was close to Pemberton... I will eventually butcher on my own but this is my first season hunting and don't have the tools/time/knowledge yet.

walks with deer
02-26-2018, 08:02 PM
cut and wrap a bear is the easiest..
back straps..whole rears for ham frints and neck cut up for burger or sausage...i heard gatholia is a bucher a chef a bear slayer and he lives in pemberton..

i am sure a case of hells gate could get you a tutorial.
make sure you have a big freezer to store hide.

RackStar
02-26-2018, 08:11 PM
I'm not opposed to travel, just curious if someone was close to Pemberton... I will eventually butcher on my own but this is my first season hunting and don't have the tools/time/knowledge yet.

Lots of good bears in pemberton, try the soo river in May, beauty scenery, and the next drainage over I forgot the name but nice In there too! The drive from pemberton to Harrison lake could yield you a bear also if you explore off the main road.

RackStar
02-26-2018, 08:12 PM
If those places are slow try Boston bar area... very good bear numbers.

walks with deer
02-26-2018, 08:33 PM
soo in the spring you can see moose..and the co's dump trouble bears up there...my uncle got the whistler iga bear up there he had like 9 ear tags lol...
he was the one taking the pizza slices off the counter..
i have a photo of tgat fatso somewhere.

caddisguy
02-26-2018, 09:24 PM
Love the title of your video lmao

Best of luck sounds personal lol

Definitely personal. I have never come across a bear like this one. Very stealthy, aggressive unpredictable. I still can't believe he tried to have a go at me. Speaking of personal he breaks saplings around our camp and digs up my #2's. TMI I know but it is what it is.

Whenever he snaps over a sapling I have been cutting it off and throwing it in the brush. Tensions are high. I suspect he might just walk out with his swagger and try to size me up like another boar, perhaps last week of April I'll be posting up the video.

walks with deer
02-26-2018, 09:43 PM
dont drink to many whiskys buy the fire near that guy caddisguy... keep a shotgun handy sounds like a menace.

caddisguy
02-26-2018, 10:07 PM
dont drink to many whiskys buy the fire near that guy caddisguy... keep a shotgun handy sounds like a menace.

Lol won't let my guard down especially in the spring when it's not crunchy. Only vulnerabilities are when I arrive late night and unload gear to make sleep room in the jeep... that and the soft top / plastic windows. I'll put some stuff around outside so he can't get to my face (I think he figured out how) without making noise. He's not really big either. 190-210lbs wet. I always keep a dominion grizzly compact "almost" ready... so yeah there's really no way to get to me. Just gotta watch the "brown stumps" (there's a lot more of them!!) more carefully. Menace yes I'm fine. More worried about other campers than me.

bennya
02-26-2018, 10:09 PM
This will be my first spring bear hunt. Haven't done it before but on the island so hoping to make it happen. Living in Qualicum so any advice is welcome on locations / timing.

tuner
02-26-2018, 10:38 PM
Definitely personal. I have never come across a bear like this one. Very stealthy, aggressive unpredictable. I still can't believe he tried to have a go at me. Speaking of personal he breaks saplings around our camp and digs up my #2's. TMI I know but it is what it is.

Whenever he snaps over a sapling I have been cutting it off and throwing it in the brush. Tensions are high. I suspect he might just walk out with his swagger and try to size me up like another boar, perhaps last week of April I'll be posting up the video.

Looking forward to a video of you going Liam Nelson on the Fawker!:wink:

Islander30
02-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Really looking forward to getting after a spring bear this season ! I've been enjoying going after bears more and more each year. I guess for one reason is that there are lots of bears on the Island here so even the areas that arent locked behind gates are productive. Being a shift worker, gates and weekend only access is a real curse for me to say the least. Anyway, fortunately I have found some really great areas the last few years where I can hunt anytime and consistently see lots of bears. This year inpaticular I'm looking forward to as I will be hunting with my 10 yr old son who now has his own license and tags and after getting his first deer in the fall is raring to get out and hopefully find his first bear ! I can hardly wait !!!

walks with deer
02-27-2018, 11:33 AM
Caddisguy,

I like the dominion grizzly I have a screwed in slug barrel attached to mine I can hit a clay pigeon at 85yds..

I also like a high lumen light attached right to the gun for a camp gun..

There is some pretty good tactical lights out there now you can attach to a shotgun.

If you have ever shot a bear in defense in the dark or a cat you will know what I mean in a second.

plumberjustin
02-27-2018, 03:07 PM
I discovered a new spot in the Chilliwack valley last season. Hiked it quite a ways to some nice clearings loaded with feed and scat, will definitely be pounding that spot this spring. Also couldn’t connect on a real nice cinnamon down the road from my place, hope I get to see him again up the mountain behind the yard......

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6854&stc=1

ryanszeredi
02-27-2018, 03:42 PM
going to hunt the area around my cabin in region 8.
getting the itch to get out and explore. it will be my first year hunting them so i dont expect much but i dont think i can make it to fall.
freezer is getting pretty low too

Wagonmaster
02-27-2018, 06:33 PM
So, what exactly do you do with the lard? I don't do any cooking, so wouldn't know what to do with lard from the store either. Mix it with something? Melt it in frying pan, spread it on something? Do you have to clean or sterilize it before using? Wife says she has used lard for making pastry or icing. Would it work for that? Does it impart some kind of distinctive taste?

Wild one
02-27-2018, 07:02 PM
So, what exactly do you do with the lard? I don't do any cooking, so wouldn't know what to do with lard from the store either. Mix it with something? Melt it in frying pan, spread it on something? Do you have to clean or sterilize it before using? Wife says she has used lard for making pastry or icing. Would it work for that? Does it impart some kind of distinctive taste?

My wife uses it for baking and it works well no funny taste

I was sceptical of using bear lard for years but was give a jar 2 years ago to try

IronNoggin
02-27-2018, 07:21 PM
So, what exactly do you do with the lard?

The VERY Best pastry lard going, bar none. French Chefs will kill for it as a consequence.

Use anytime you would cooking oil. Higher heat tolerance than olive oil, zero taste, and a very fine cooking oil.

Waterproof and restore anything leather (boots, belts, etc etc). Never goes "off", and works better than pretty well any store bought product.

https://i.imgur.com/yEB5vki.jpg

I hope to never be without again down the road... ;-)

Cheers,
Nog

HarryToolips
02-27-2018, 10:23 PM
Lol won't let my guard down especially in the spring when it's not crunchy. Only vulnerabilities are when I arrive late night and unload gear to make sleep room in the jeep... that and the soft top / plastic windows. I'll put some stuff around outside so he can't get to my face (I think he figured out how) without making noise. He's not really big either. 190-210lbs wet. I always keep a dominion grizzly compact "almost" ready... so yeah there's really no way to get to me. Just gotta watch the "brown stumps" (there's a lot more of them!!) more carefully. Menace yes I'm fine. More worried about other campers than me.
You need a pack alarm......and hey is it baiting if you wrap bear spray that's tied to a tree in bacon?? Lol

HarryToolips
02-27-2018, 10:25 PM
I'm going to try to hunt them mostly with my recurve this spring....unless it's on a work night, then I would rather put them down right in their tracks..

slowjo
02-27-2018, 10:36 PM
i haven’t been spring bear hunting since 2013 when i shot a brown phase sow. the meat was enjoyed and the tanned hide is still on the couch in the basement lounge room.
this spring 2018 i’ll be looking for a small-medium sized jet black bear. i won’t be picky though. i’ll be hunting exclusively with my crossbow and practicing my spot-n-stalk.

canucks6
02-27-2018, 10:55 PM
Kill every bear u see. The people in the know say that black bears are killing all the elk and deer fawns, not all the dogs and cats... buy a bear tag and thin them out so the people that are in the know can run out of excuses.

shortrange
02-27-2018, 11:58 PM
I'm still eating last year's bear sausages. I got a nice cinnamon and the rug should be ready soon. If I finish eating the last bear I am definitely up for a spring bear around May. They are easier to catch than white tails....

walks with deer
02-28-2018, 09:30 AM
last years bear was definatley a fawn eating trouble maker...thats why he died...using a tractor to move him was a nice perk...good old hunting from the porch...cow bear!

HarryToolips
02-28-2018, 03:29 PM
^^^^pics!!!!!!!

caddisguy
02-28-2018, 04:56 PM
^^^^pics!!!!!!!

I think there was a thread on it. It was quite a bear. Probably 2x larger than anything I have taken. Forget fawn eater, I would say full size cattle eater!!

caddisguy
02-28-2018, 05:02 PM
I'm tempted to post up a video I just put together from clips of last year. It's mostly just me all jacked up and rambling like an idiot after-the-fact... rolling a bear down a bluff with some overlays from before and then some grinding and burger making tacked on the end. I'm not sure if it will inspire people to hunt bears or make fun of me lol

.264winmag
02-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Have to wait for the snow to melt off my south facing mulie spot and green up, hope to exterminate a couple out of there to help out the mulie calving season. If I still own the Lapua by then it will be backflipping both bears :twisted:

IronNoggin
02-28-2018, 06:19 PM
... I'm not sure if it will inspire people to hunt bears or make fun of me lol

Post It Up Man!! http://bigshotsbc.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Either way it will be some rather fine entertainment, and more than a few could use that around here just now (myself included!) http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif

Cheers,
Nog

IslandWanderer
02-28-2018, 06:26 PM
I'm tempted to post up a video I just put together from clips of last year. It's mostly just me all jacked up and rambling like an idiot after-the-fact... rolling a bear down a bluff with some overlays from before and then some grinding and burger making tacked on the end. I'm not sure if it will inspire people to hunt bears or make fun of me lol

It would be cool to see.

stro52
02-28-2018, 06:27 PM
So y'all got any tips for an aspiring bowhunter still looking for his first big game animal? This will be my first time heading out for spring bear and looking forward to it!

caddisguy
02-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Post It Up Man!! http://bigshotsbc.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Either way it will be some rather fine entertainment, and more than a few could use that around here just now (myself included!) http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Alright when you put it that way... hopefully everyone is thoroughly, partially or even somewhat entertained (at any aspect) during the following 5 minute segment. Feel free to like, subscribe, comment and all that good stuff before the anti's come around :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyaY6_Cei_0

IronNoggin
02-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Litte shaky here and there, but overall not too bad! :D
A little editing and you are well on the way.
Liked the finish with the burgers btw!

What time of year was the trail cam vid of the problem bear?
Watched it a couple of times, and I dunno, just something "off" to me in the way he walks... http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/Idunno.gif

Wondering,
Nog

caddisguy
02-28-2018, 07:13 PM
Litte shaky here and there, but overall not too bad! :D
A little editing and you are well on the way.
Liked the finish with the burgers btw!

What time of year was the trail cam vid of the problem bear?
Watched it a couple of times, and I dunno, just something "off" to me in the way he walks... http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/Idunno.gif

Wondering,
Nog

Lol ya it's tough man. I'm twitchy enough as it is... shooting stick required over 30 yards... give me a hand-held cam, some zoom and/or adrenaline and I am all over the place Blair Witch style. Was hoping Youtube would detect the video needed stabilization but no dice! (Edit: Hmm I just found a stabilize option under "Enhancements" ... not sure if I should do it or if it will mess with other stuff)

I have the problem bear on cam in July and August. That particular footage is August (when he charged me while looking for an arrow and crept up to me while sleeping... worth noting he has never hung around beyond early July in previous years) but he also walked up a few yards behind my jeep while I was running it and changing my pants (caught with pants down) back in April (second or third week)

I think he just walks with a swagger because he has a huge set? He can zip around surprisingly cat-like too. I have seen him casually bounce 10 yards in a fraction of a second, just touching ground once in the process. It's a creepy bear... no other way to put it.

RackStar
02-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Cool vid!
nice bear

IslandWanderer
02-28-2018, 07:31 PM
Nice video! Very well done. It makes me want to make hunting vids too.

Edit: great bear as well.

WWBC
02-28-2018, 08:43 PM
Can't wait
looking for a big black one.

I'll probably try the East side of 5-1 and see if the Wetter side of the M-U has more bears. I'd like to try getting into some higher country also. (Any logic to this?)

last years bear I got in June and it had been fighting with another ( bigger) bear before he came to my call.
Got a little exiting when I was working on my bear and the other bear came in at dusk to check things out. Should have had a second tag.. it would have saved me the warning shots. Haha

I'd really like to get one spot and Stalk with the bow or if I'm not alone try to call another one in.

Can't wait

willyqbc
02-28-2018, 09:12 PM
First time in forever, we didn't hardly bear hunt at all last year so the bear burger supply is now non-existant. "She who must be obeyed" has informed both my son and I that we WILL both be getting out and bringing her bears this spring. I will let the kid shoot the first decent one we see, and I will hold out looking for a big guy until the last week or two, then will shoot any decent bear.

Area I know that has barely ever been touched by a logging show was logged pretty good last fall...i expect some pretty good bears that aren't used to the open country, to get caught with their pants down out in the open this spring!

caddisguy
02-28-2018, 09:58 PM
So y'all got any tips for an aspiring bowhunter still looking for his first big game animal? This will be my first time heading out for spring bear and looking forward to it!

Lots of great tips in the 2017 spring bear thread and various individual ones that have popped up. You can get really close in the Spring. All bears from either side of a given valley pretty much condense into the first patches of grass coming up around the valley bottoms and south facing slopes. Dandelions come shortly after which is a sign you have the right exposure. We manage to find ourselves within 15 yards at least a few times a year. I'm tempted to stick one with an arrow, but I'd kick myself if it cost me an opportunity at the bear we are after... that and some of the area is pretty thick and 2/3 of the time "stuff happens" within the last hour of light. It would be tricky enough if one ran 50-100 yards let alone we had to look for it the next day after a night of rain. One day though, in a more open area and when I'm not looking for a specific bear it will happen.

If you're out super early and not much in the way of grass (south facing hills still have snow) try skunk cabbage around the lower drainages... look for foot prints in the mud (Full disclosure I haven't had much luck super early in my area and don't start seeing sign until it's greening up.... things get good 3rd week of April and peak mid-May... actually last season it seemed to peak late mid to late April in my area despite the late start to the greenery)

If you find an area with freshly nipped grass (not brown on the edges) and bear poop, just check in and out all day... sit for mornings in evenings... bonus if you can do it two or three days consecutively. A bears sense of smell is insane, but when food is scarce and it has trouble knowing whether "you are there" or "you were there" it will get the munchies for grass and make the gamble... they even come from down wind (at least the "average bear") so don't discount direction... find the spot with the goods and he needs to come out and will no matter what. Boars will walk in like they own the place... sows tend to hang close to cling to brush or timber or any sort of cover / escape. Take your time if it looks or acts like a sow. I watched a bear hours over the course of a weekend... I knew something was up, but didn't realize it had a cub or two until the second night, which through binos from 60-70 yards or so and saw black fuzzballs darting around behind the brush.

HarryToolips
02-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Alright when you put it that way... hopefully everyone is thoroughly, partially or even somewhat entertained (at any aspect) during the following 5 minute segment. Feel free to like, subscribe, comment and all that good stuff before the anti's come around :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyaY6_Cei_0
Nice bear..........

stro52
02-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Lots of great tips in the 2017 spring bear thread and various individual ones that have popped up. You can get really close in the Spring. All bears from either side of a given valley pretty much condense into the first patches of grass coming up around the valley bottoms and south facing slopes. Dandelions come shortly after which is a sign you have the right exposure. We manage to find ourselves within 15 yards at least a few times a year. I'm tempted to stick one with an arrow, but I'd kick myself if it cost me an opportunity at the bear we are after... that and some of the area is pretty thick and 2/3 of the time "stuff happens" within the last hour of light. It would be tricky enough if one ran 50-100 yards let alone we had to look for it the next day after a night of rain. One day though, in a more open area and when I'm not looking for a specific bear it will happen.

If you're out super early and not much in the way of grass (south facing hills still have snow) try skunk cabbage around the lower drainages... look for foot prints in the mud (Full disclosure I haven't had much luck super early in my area and don't start seeing sign until it's greening up.... things get good 3rd week of April and peak mid-May... actually last season it seemed to peak late mid to late April in my area despite the late start to the greenery)

If you find an area with freshly nipped grass (not brown on the edges) and bear poop, just check in and out all day... sit for mornings in evenings... bonus if you can do it two or three days consecutively. A bears sense of smell is insane, but when food is scarce and it has trouble knowing whether "you are there" or "you were there" it will get the munchies for grass and make the gamble... they even come from down wind (at least the "average bear") so don't discount direction... find the spot with the goods and he needs to come out and will no matter what. Boars will walk in like they own the place... sows tend to hang close to cling to brush or timber or any sort of cover / escape. Take your time if it looks or acts like a sow. I watched a bear hours over the course of a weekend... I knew something was up, but didn't realize it had a cub or two until the second night, which through binos from 60-70 yards or so and saw black fuzzballs darting around behind the brush.

Wow thanks a lot for this, had to read it over twice to make sure I got it all haha.

scotty30-06
03-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Great bear and amazing looking burgers. ..got me even more excited lol.

bigredchev
03-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Looks like our trip is shaping up for second week of may in region 5. Might be a bit early but them the brakes with time off and scheduling etc.

Can't wait, gonna do some fishing and hopefully set up some fame cams to monitor into fall.

best of luck gents and ladies

bc_buckshot
03-04-2018, 11:32 PM
Bears well actually a bear is already out in region 2. Saw one yesterday late afternoon feeding and gotta say it is sure a dandy one. Just a matter of time and till the season.

snipersights
03-05-2018, 02:16 PM
That video was awesome. Can’t wait to get out. Just finished paying off my beater car and cell phone. Got a new to me truck finally tuning up the quad and I’m ready.

walks with deer
03-05-2018, 02:45 PM
caddisguy i gave your video a like and subscribed...keep up the good work...

simonvancouver
03-05-2018, 08:35 PM
I am 50/50 ... I want to put some meat in the freezer but never hunted bear before, keep hearing spring bear tastes better, so going to buy a tag and see what happens, very likely i will have a tag and it will sit unused but not for lack of trying lol.

plumberjustin
03-05-2018, 10:24 PM
I am 50/50 ... I want to put some meat in the freezer but never hunted bear before, keep hearing spring bear tastes better, so going to buy a tag and see what happens, very likely i will have a tag and it will sit unused but not for lack of trying lol. Pork of the forest, but a little sweeter. Double smoked hams, back bacon and jalapeño cheddar smokies are the bomb.

simonvancouver
03-05-2018, 11:34 PM
Pork of the forest, but a little sweeter. Double smoked hams, back bacon and jalapeño cheddar smokies are the bomb. mmm sounds good

WWBC
03-06-2018, 06:59 AM
To give you an idea on bear meat.

My wife whom has little interest in eating game meat other than maybe moose thinks that the bear smokies I had made last spring are the best she's ever had.I think She'd rather I leave the deer alone and just bring home bear....

Bring a couple coolers with frozen milk jugs or Ice packs when you go. That way you can put the Meat on ice right away and get it cooling.

Really want to try bear ham this year.

scotty30-06
03-06-2018, 02:48 PM
Yea I need to look at getting a bigger smoker....dont think my little chief could handle bear hams smoking hahahah

scotty30-06
03-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Is there a legal distance from the USA border your allowed to fun/shoot....tried looking in the regs and couldnt find it.

moosinaround
03-06-2018, 04:22 PM
I'm out of pepperonies and garlic coil, so I'm gonna drop a smaller bear early, then look for a booner with my 2nd tag. I'm taking 14 days off in May for bear hunting this year, maybe some early lake fishing too! I'm going to check out some spots I haven't been to in many years, explore a little! Spring in the mountains is almost as good as fall in the mountains! Moosin

jtred
03-06-2018, 07:35 PM
I'll be out a couple of times early April looking for sign(I've never even seen a track except for grizzly that early) but I mainly use those hikes to scout for turkeys. I won't seriously hunt bears until my daughter and I kill a couple of toms or season ends. What I'm really looking forward to is our annual spring bear back pack trip on the May long weekend. For the past six years a friend and myself hike a few km into a camp we have set up overlooking Kootenay Lake and spend a few days hiking and glassing for bears. It's a great trip to check out all of our gear and test any new stuff before fall comes around. This time around I need to replenish the wood pile after using most of it up on a pack trip for mule deer last season. It sure is nice in the fall to just set up my tent, drop all extra gear, hang a food bag, fill the water bag and get hunting without having to worry about firewood. Our spring bear hunts are pretty relaxed, more of an opportunity to catch up and sip single malt by the fire at night. That said I would like to shoot another bear this year. I'm pretty excited.

HarryToolips
03-06-2018, 10:51 PM
^^^sounds like a great plan, gotta love spring bear hunting...I think they'll be up late this spring, seems like winter is sticking around longer than usual....damn, that means more shed hunting before bear hunting, oh well...

scotty30-06
03-06-2018, 11:06 PM
Someone mentioned theres already been a few spotted....but thats down here ....but then again ...bears dont hibernate down here much

caddisguy
03-06-2018, 11:49 PM
^^^sounds like a great plan, gotta love spring bear hunting...I think they'll be up late this spring, seems like winter is sticking around longer than usual....damn, that means more shed hunting before bear hunting, oh well...

Last year was weird. 2 feet of now at the beginning for April. No sign until mid-April, then it peaked second half of April. Heat wave hit after that and it was green everywhere. Took our bear mid-May... May long was a full on heat wave... didn't try too hard for a second and I think that was our last weekend out... I was surprised it went from 2 feet of snow to 3+ bear sightings a day before well before May and less a week into May.

I think you are right about bears showing up a little late, but I am hesitant to call the peak. The 3 years prior I would have said mid May every time. I am going to start "camping with a rifle" early, but I will start chasing mid April.

derker
03-07-2018, 05:01 AM
I have had a bear tag go unfilled for the last 5 years. Both spring and fall. This year I have taken from mid April to mid May off. Going to get involved with one. Maybe 2.

Redthies
03-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Spring time is turkey time;)

HarryToolips
03-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Last year was weird. 2 feet of now at the beginning for April. No sign until mid-April, then it peaked second half of April. Heat wave hit after that and it was green everywhere. Took our bear mid-May... May long was a full on heat wave... didn't try too hard for a second and I think that was our last weekend out... I was surprised it went from 2 feet of snow to 3+ bear sightings a day before well before May and less a week into May.

I think you are right about bears showing up a little late, but I am hesitant to call the peak. The 3 years prior I would have said mid May every time. I am going to start "camping with a rifle" early, but I will start chasing mid April.
Ya and I think this year will be even weirder.....

walks with deer
03-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Turkey talk yes

scotty30-06
03-08-2018, 03:23 PM
Any one know how far west the turkey range goes would be sweet to do a bear/turkey hunt.

scotty30-06
03-10-2018, 06:29 PM
Was sitting in the sun and got to thinking....one of the spots I wanna spend a couple days at has a bunch of streams and is close to a lake......so to maximize/diversify my harvest and time in the bush.....chuck out a couple crayfish traps at start of day and let soak while im out looking for bears....has anyone else done something like this?

jtred
03-10-2018, 07:09 PM
Was sitting in the sun and got to thinking....one of the spots I wanna spend a couple days at has a bunch of streams and is close to a lake......so to maximize/diversify my harvest and time in the bush.....chuck out a couple crayfish traps at start of day and let soak while im out looking for bears....has anyone else done something like this?

Not for spring bear but for early season alpine mule deer my hunting partner and I always pack into one of the many alpine lakes in the Kootenays. Go for an early morning hunt, then spend the late morning/early afternoon fishing for cutthroat trout while glassing the surrounding ridges and shoreline. Then off for an evening hunt before heading back to camp and feasting. Blue grouse marinated in scotch and spices, fresh cutthroat stuffed with huckleberries and garlic. We eat like kings sometimes.

I like your idea of catching a few crayfish, should throw out a line a few times and see what bites. Sure adds to the whole adventure when you catch your meals. For a couple of seasons my partner left his rifle at home and packed a defender style shotgun, loaded with #8 shot they do a pretty good job on grouse. We've had a few pack trips where we hardly ate any Mountain House.

scotty30-06
03-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Yea just thought it would be ideal. ..dont need to mind the line or nothing....bait it...chuck the trap in the water...pick up at end of day....yup im gonna try it for sure lol....bit of garlic butter ..mmmmm

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
03-10-2018, 09:39 PM
I going for a June '18 dooblay! KILL 2 Motion for greatness of the Hunt! What an astounding thread... Many inspiring tales of Beardom. Let's get it done - I want at least one w/ 270 WSM then debating between slugs or a next variety .277 projectile. The past few years have been Turkey-centric, though it has been diffcult for me to get out in the Spring months due to a variety of commitments and responsibilities... This year is is the worst in many in that respect. I'm liable to not be able to Hunt 'till June '18, at best! Yikes.

Lots'O'Luck Folks!

Thanks for the inspiration.

caddisguy
03-11-2018, 02:39 PM

Only all the time :D

Crayfishing should start to get productive by mid May... but even before who cares... even if you get one or two to go with dinner, it's a treat. Not sure if you saw it but I posted on another crayfishing vid in the fishing section... just a short video throwing the traps in from shore and recording one of the 3 pulls we did that weekend. We're hoping to do another snorkeling/trapping vid in August (missed the last couple years, due to stomach infection and needing to dial in a bow) seems to pull a lot of views (near 1.5 million on our first one)

I just ordered my tags today. No more WSS, Canadian Tire no longer sells tags, Army & Navy said they don't have them yet and don't know when they will get them. Figured I would go the safe route and order early. Can't wait to get the freezers filled up with more bear... want to do more meal prep with chili, ham-bear-ger-helper, stir-fry, burrito filler, hambearger patties, etc... as many meals as the freezers will hold.

Bunner
03-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Going to hit it hard this spring. Probley head to my honey hole mid May and take 2 out of there

scotty30-06
03-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Caddis I love the snorkling vid....I went and looked at snorkling gear for daughter and I....we have aplace in harrison and are always at hick lake in summer but I would assume chilliwack/hicks would have crayfish too......man with the weather like this the bear will be out ....17 degrees in delta!!!!

caddisguy
03-12-2018, 06:37 PM
I don't think there are crayfish in Hicks/Beaverpond or Deer Lake (I ran traps in those) Harrison 100% though... verified that one!

BTW do you know if Hicks/Deer are accessible? I have been screwed two years in a row where the website says they are open (Hicks day area and Deer for camping) only to be completely gated out (last year) or just Hicks day area (year before)

Seen bees, ladybugs, squirrels and all sorts of life happening the last few days. I suspect there's still a foot of snow where I hunt, but I'll go have a look this weekend... maybe snatch 2-3 of our cams... decide whether it is worth while opening weekend.

scotty30-06
03-12-2018, 06:52 PM
I have never had a problem with gates there....like ever....been going there for almost 10 years ....early spring till mid oct....never once had the gates closed.

caddisguy
03-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Last year it was gated mid March just after the turnoff for east Harrison fsr with no explanation. Year prior Deer was gated just after the turn-off for Hicks. We wanted to fish and camp and Deer but hit Hicks day area / launch... fished the day and packed up, then found a spot with a nice view up Harrison to camp (which is also now gated)

Lol sorry for the derail... just frustrated getting burned in that neck of the woods. Won't go now unless I have a first hand account for the given weekend, signed off and notorized !! :)

This year we'll spend our March camping in or around bear camp... save the fishing for later when it's more productive anyway

weatherby_man
03-13-2018, 08:26 AM
Hope to go out for a few days, missed last year due to work commitments. I'm not hardcore on the bear hunts, mostly just to get out for a few days and walk around the bush, if I do take a bear it has to be a gooder. Missed on a beauty phase 2 years ago and I think hes still there :)....

caddisguy
03-16-2018, 09:54 PM
It's all about to start tomorrow. We're heading out for a little fun... shoot the 22 a little bit... have a campfire and cook up my famous recipe chicken, gaze at some stars.

But most importantly and more relevant, I'm hoping to pull some trailcams... I would guess 2 or 3 but 4 if I'm lucky... depends on the snow and if the ticks start driving me nuts.

Will see what's greening up... check in on the squirrels and birds... maybe pet some deer and plead with them to tell me where they go in November. Who knows, maybe get lucky and find a shed or two.

I don't think there will be any bears up... doubtful but slight chance the cams are still filming... would be interesting to catch a bear wandering this early. Who knows... will report back Sunday with the bear (and tick) forecast

Dominion grizzly compact if shaggy brown phase punk is awake and gives us anymore trouble.

caddisguy
03-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Still 2 feet of snow where we hunt. No tracks and no bears on the cameras... we were able to retrieve 3 of the trailcams but no chance for the other 3, at least not for another 3 weeks.

Camped up in a new cut block that had been plowed... something with teeth and claws got into our garbage overnight but guessing coyote or raccoons. Couldn't find any tracks.

NChunter
03-18-2018, 03:58 PM
^^^^any pictures on the cameras?

caddisguy
03-18-2018, 04:15 PM
^^^^any pictures on the cameras?

Yeah but nothing too exciting... got a clip of a new fork buck scraping a tree, some blacktail does running around acting paranoid. I'll post something up in my 2017 trailcam thread since most of the footage will have been from 2017. I was expecting to catch some preds, maybe a moose or something crazy like a Region 2 grizz but no dice. Still 3 more cams to fetch though.

Kinda bummed about all the snow in our bear spot. It's going to be a late start and then there could be flooding issues. We'll still get a bear or two, but I was hoping to start hunting sooner.

scotty30-06
04-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Busy this weekend but next weekend...gonna be checking my Harrison spot ....see how things are shaping up there....snow line is still pretty low but the spots in a valley so keeping fingers crossed.

plumberjustin
04-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Busy this weekend but next weekend...gonna be checking my Harrison spot ....see how things are shaping up there....snow line is still pretty low but the spots in a valley so keeping fingers crossed.
Just snowed at my place in Deroche yesterday, and some flurries still in the forecast over the next couple days. Still pretty brown in the areas I checked out up Harrison this weekend.

Ohwildwon
04-03-2018, 10:58 PM
Just purchased a tree stand and some climbing sticks to set up in my spot..

Head out the middle of this month to set up, along with trail cams, to finally get a serious chance at this Boar..

https://i.imgur.com/41XRkyw.png

The bush where this Bear lives, is a tough place to call in safely, solo hunting..

When I first came across this honey hole a few years ago, I was so pissed off, having no results as a new hunter, I tried my fawn call..

The Bear was bedded down not far off! Charged to within 30ft and thankfully winded me, or I might not be here right now!

Work got in the way for any quality time last year..

This is the year!

caddisguy
04-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Just purchased a tree stand and some climbing sticks to set up in my spot..

Head out the middle of this month to set up, along with trail cams, to finally get a serious chance at this Boar..

https://i.imgur.com/41XRkyw.png

The bush where this Bear lives, is a tough place to call in safely, solo hunting..

When I first came across this honey hole a few years ago, I was so pissed off, having no results as a new hunter, I tried my fawn call..

The Bear was bedded down not far off! Charged to within 30ft and thankfully winded me, or I might not be here right now!

Work got in the way for any quality time last year..

This is the year!

That looks like the same bear I am after lol (shown in the video I posted up some pages back)

Crap I hope we aren't in the same spot. Do you run into a lot of ticks?

If it is the same spot, that bear needs to die. Charged me once and tried to get at my while I was sleeping a week later.

Regardless, good luck out there! I am probably going to head out this weekend to have a look around but don't expect to whack a bear until a week or two later.

Excited about the season!! :D

Ohwildwon
04-04-2018, 08:02 PM
That looks like the same bear I am after lol (shown in the video I posted up some pages back)

Crap I hope we aren't in the same spot. Do you run into a lot of ticks?

If it is the same spot, that bear needs to die. Charged me once and tried to get at my while I was sleeping a week later.

Regardless, good luck out there! I am probably going to head out this weekend to have a look around but don't expect to whack a bear until a week or two later.

Excited about the season!! :D

I think your spot is somewhere between chilliwack and hope?

This guy is north of squamish...:smile:

caddisguy
04-04-2018, 08:20 PM
I think your spot is somewhere between chilliwack and hope?

This guy is north of squamish...:smile:

Different spots for sure. I am relieved yet disappointed. I want to put a bounty out for my guy. Yours looks more chunky and has a better coat too.

Are you going to stick that bear with an arrow?

Ohwildwon
04-04-2018, 10:02 PM
Yea he's a beauty, I figure he's at least 6 years old..

No sticks for me yet, 280 ai...

And havn't had a problem with ticks in that area, knock on wood...

Ohwildwon
04-04-2018, 10:27 PM
https://i.imgur.com/arW1bSl.png

caddisguy
04-08-2018, 12:43 PM
https://i.imgur.com/arW1bSl.png

He's awake? Excellent!

We found some tracks yesterday but I would guess they were a few days old... they had filled in with a little more snow. Still lots and lots of snow. We did find some grass not too far off the tracks, so we set up the blind there for a sit... a few hours late morning and then a couple more hours before dark. Still another couple weeks before things will start to get good (by good, I mean easy)

caddisguy
04-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Found a sinkhole... balls deep

https://i.imgur.com/M11aJse.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xZyjp5W.jpg

jennylyyy
04-09-2018, 09:20 AM
Hi Everyone! Quite the newbie to hunting, and was wondering if 3 brand-spanking new hunters going out on a spring bear hunt is too ambitious? We're from Vancouver, BC and were thinking about going to the Kootenays. Any feedback on this situation?

jennylyyy
04-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Before we start a whole slew of follow up questions. Here's a bit about our experience to date. Please feel free to correct us on anything you see on our blog or share any feedback:

https://www.chasingfood.club/blog/how-to-avoid-a-bear-encounter-and-what-to-do-if-it-all-goes-terribly-wrong

caddisguy
04-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Hi Everyone! Quite the newbie to hunting, and was wondering if 3 brand-spanking new hunters going out on a spring bear hunt is too ambitious? We're from Vancouver, BC and were thinking about going to the Kootenays. Any feedback on this situation?

Spring black bears are the easiest big game animal to hunt in North America and there are plenty of them all over the province, including the Fraser Valley.

Look for grassy areas on south facing slopes... look for nipped grass, look for poops. Sneak around throughout the day... sit quietly in the most promising areas morning and evening. There's a number of threads on here with a lot of great tips. If you search for the 2017 spring bear thread, that one has a lot of good info. If you put in the time, your group will get one, probably more, especially if you split up.

Stay out until last light. The action is usually the first few hours of light or last hour before or two before dark. It pains me to hear people hunting hard all day then calling it a day at 5pm and heading home. All the bears we have taken were between first light and 10am or 4:30pm and dark. Afternoon bears happen, but your odds are probably 10x greater in the last hour vs every other hour after 10am combined.

Welcome to the forum and good luck out there.

Wild one
04-09-2018, 09:40 AM

With BCs high black bear populations they actually make a great hunt for rookie hunters. Shoot with in your limits and only take shots you are 100% on as you should with any other hunt. Do this and it’s no different then a rookie hunting deer or any other big game

Lots of options for bear hunting locations all over BC. Nothing wrong with kootenays but wonder why this is your choice

Ask more direct ? Regarding bear hunting and you will get more valuable info

monasheemountainman
04-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Go to the island. Much closer for you. Lots of big bears

albravo2
04-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Nothing too ambitious about it. I think it is a perfect beginner hunt and you will learn a lot even if you don't see a bear.

I love the Kootenays but I don't think I'd drive that far for a bear. Lots of bears down in the LML. And I hear there are more bears than hipsters on Vancouver Island.

Remember, aim small, miss small. Have fun!

Just
04-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Found a sinkhole... balls deep

https://i.imgur.com/M11aJse.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xZyjp5W.jpg
Thats Freakin awsome your out there in the snow. I like to go really far north to meet friends at a cabin round the Nechaco Reservoir. I was talkin to the boys yesterday from Smithers and they said they still got 3' of snow and it will most likley be a late hunt. Ok by me since i been laid up with a broken leg since January. Starting physio this week with a bear hunt as my goal!

caddisguy
04-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Thats Freakin awsome your out there in the snow. I like to go really far north to meet friends at a cabin round the Nechaco Reservoir. I was talkin to the boys yesterday from Smithers and they said they still got 3' of snow and it will most likley be a late hunt. Ok by me since i been laid up with a broken leg since January. Starting physio this week with a bear hunt as my goal!

Still patches of snow here in the Region 2 valleys and up in the hills... we saw everything from 6 inches to a few feet. In that picture, there's probably just 6 inches of crusty snow... but it just so happened there was a very deep hole (which wasn't there in the fall and not sure what made it) ... glad my leg didn't go down awkwardly or while I was packing something heavy... might have had a broken leg of my own. It was cool to get that on video though... not much to be excited about yet, another couple weeks there will be. We're still getting out there and taking lots of video so we'll have plenty of footage for an entertain 2018 bear on video.

HarryToolips
04-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Spring black bears are the easiest big game animal to hunt in North America and there are plenty of them all over the province, including the Fraser Valley.

Look for grassy areas on south facing slopes... look for nipped grass, look for poops. Sneak around throughout the day... sit quietly in the most promising areas morning and evening. There's a number of threads on here with a lot of great tips. If you search for the 2017 spring bear thread, that one has a lot of good info. If you put in the time, your group will get one, probably more, especially if you split up.

Stay out until last light. The action is usually the first few hours of light or last hour before or two before dark. It pains me to hear people hunting hard all day then calling it a day at 5pm and heading home. All the bears we have taken were between first light and 10am or 4:30pm and dark. Afternoon bears happen, but your odds are probably 10x greater in the last hour vs every other hour after 10am combined.

Welcome to the forum and good luck out there.
They also like dandelions and clover....

scotty30-06
04-10-2018, 07:54 PM
Got the smoker going this weekend....excited to put some bear meat through it.

Fella
04-10-2018, 08:00 PM
My first bear I was with 3 other newbies. It was a gong show trying to figure out how to gut the thing but we got it done, even though we only had a little pocket knife. We made a lot of mistakes, blew 3 other stalks on bears that weekend before I got it done. Go to the koots if you want, sounds like a fun adventure, or stick close to home and go up to Squamish/Pemberton/Harrison area.

Ohwildwon
04-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Is a Fawn decoy considered bait?

HarryToolips
04-10-2018, 08:57 PM
My first bear I was with 3 other newbies. It was a gong show trying to figure out how to gut the thing but we got it done, even though we only had a little pocket knife. We made a lot of mistakes, blew 3 other stalks on bears that weekend before I got it done. Go to the koots if you want, sounds like a fun adventure, or stick close to home and go up to Squamish/Pemberton/Harrison area.
Lol I remember gutting my first big game animal too....obviously one gets better with practice, but the bottom line is, it doesn't have to be pretty, do whatever it takes to get all the guts and entrails out..that's what newbies should know, don't think too hard about it, it's not rocket surgery...

HarryToolips
04-10-2018, 08:59 PM
Got the smoker going this weekend....excited to put some bear meat through it.
Do you find you have to pre cook bear before smoking, to avoid trichinosis??

04-10-2018, 10:44 PM
There are hot-smoking methods that can produce appropriate heat. I've also heard of par boiling the meat first as part of pre-smoke meat prep, plenty of other methods. It'll be interesting to see what folks have to say. Mostly, far as I know, smoked Bear is usually cooked post-smoke as things such as sausages.

04-10-2018, 10:55 PM
Also the Koots are an awesome choice! Plenty of color phase Black Bears. Like all the Regions of BC, it's a beauty spot and unique.

04-10-2018, 11:29 PM
Before we start a whole slew of follow up questions. Here's a bit about our experience to date. Please feel free to correct us on anything you see on our blog or share any feedback:

https://www.chasingfood.club/blog/how-to-avoid-a-bear-encounter-and-what-to-do-if-it-all-goes-terribly-wrong

When I was smol (11) I moved from Vancouver to the Omineca and ran into Griz on accident... Lolz Your site is nice Good Luck keep it up! You will do fine, Hunt it up and enjoy your time.

scotty30-06
04-11-2018, 01:49 AM
Will be smoking for sasuage and maybe a ham....but will be cooked after the smoke.

caddisguy
04-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Lol I remember gutting my first big game animal too....obviously one gets better with practice, but the bottom line is, it doesn't have to be pretty, do whatever it takes to get all the guts and entrails out..that's what newbies should know, don't think too hard about it, it's not rocket surgery...

I remember panicking thinking I had to saw through the pelvic bone to take the poop shoot out... then crap it will take forever to saw through this... boned it out with the gut pile out but still "attached" (actually turns out to be an excellent method for getting all the meat and not having to touch the stinker at all)

This of course was all happening in the dark with crappy headlamps and a bear walking around casually feeding and ignoring out air horn.

I also did not get evidence of sex "attached to one quarter" because it was pretty much butchered in field. I was worried I had done something wrong until I checked the regs and found evidence of sex is not required *phew*

I didn't sleep much that night. In and out... would wake up thinking it was a dream but the smell said otherwise. Next morning went back to the scene to hide the carcass then hit the road. Stopped to jump a couple on our way out... their battery died and spent an unplanned night freezing. The guy was super happy and shook my hand then noticed all the blood stains... turned pretty white lol ... I still wonder to this day what they figured we were up to

I think anyone who knocks down a bear right before dark and it's the first animal is in for an interesting time no matter how many YouTube videos.

I'm still not great at it... takes me an hour or two but it gets better and easier each time.

Kill-da-wabbit
04-11-2018, 10:40 AM
^^^^ My first bear was a bit of a sh-t show too. Dusk, at least 2 bears close, solo and no idea how to strap it to my pack properly. 4 trips, including 1 just for fat. I was in a hurry and my gut job looked like a scene from The Walking Dead!

scotty30-06
04-11-2018, 02:27 PM
^^^lol...couldn't be as bad as the time I saw a guy gutting a fish crossways not lengthways ....I mentioned he was doing it kinda funny...he said he had been doing it his whole life that way....I said fair enough nice fish a d walked away..lol....my biggest concern with bear is somehow mess the hide up...or with it being normally a lot warmer then fall season is spoilage.

col
04-11-2018, 09:55 PM
okanagan blond phase? what is this? i have just moved here ( north okanagan)and enjoy bear hunting, sounds like a nice one to see

RyoTHC
04-11-2018, 10:05 PM
Snows just finally starting to get some momentum melting locally... Really hoping to start my season within the next two weeks and find a big boar! South slopes are pretty close to completely thawed down low.. just waiting on the green up..

Shikari300WSM
04-15-2018, 11:51 AM
How's the melt over around horsefly? Thinking about heading up there this year for spring bear!

itsy bitsy xj
04-15-2018, 11:56 AM
I often do that. I take the traps on the ATV and dump them in the water then pick up on my way out. So far this season I'm at no bears and no crayfish

willyqbc
04-15-2018, 12:13 PM
How's the melt over around horsefly? Thinking about heading up there this year for spring bear!

Still lots of snow...as of two weeks ago, there was still over 2 feet at lake level (quesnel lake), higher elevations...even more. Gonna be considerably later gettin into our cabin this year!

Shikari300WSM
04-17-2018, 05:06 PM
Ah crap. I appreciate the response. I wonder if it's better anywhere around Princeton or something. I'm hoping a week of warm weather will help the snow piss off

RackStar
04-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Saw a small bear just north of PG on Sunday.

No clue what he was eating as there is still a lot of snow

todbartell
04-17-2018, 05:35 PM
3' of snow in the bush out in these parts

Noob
04-17-2018, 07:34 PM
I have purchased the tag this year. Had a question, any strong opinions on iron sights for bear? I would not shoot 100 yards for sure but 50, is that not reasonable?

RackStar
04-17-2018, 07:49 PM
I have purchased the tag this year. Had a question, any strong opinions on iron sights for bear? I would not shoot 100 yards for sure but 50, is that not reasonable?

Close in the distance that you are confident hitting a pie plate off hand and go have yourself a great time.

caddisguy
04-17-2018, 08:37 PM
What Rackstar said... it's all about shooting ability... whatever distance you can hit a paper plate from with the form of shot you will be taking.

I like to aim for the double lung. If I miss forward, it will blow out the shoulder likely crippling it and causing enough CNS trauma to knock it silly... miss low, good chance of still hitting lung or heart.. miss high and I'm hitting spine and lots of margin of error before hitting too far back.

Stuff happens, so more margin of error the better. I had a bear abruptly turn as a shot went off. By luck it went through his eye and blew out the back of the skull. Prior he was completely broadside and I was going for a double lung. They are tough animals so it's important to hit the mark. I had another one where somehow the first shot took out both lungs and completely severed the spine just after the shoulder... he actually tried to get back up and run with the front legs but it wasn't happening. I'm sure he wouldn't have lasted another 10 seconds and would have helped things bleed out if I let it go so I put another one right where the spin meets the skull.

Hit too far back, bad angle shot, grazed one... things you definitely don't want to happen. Paper plate accuracy is a minimum requirement. Ideally softball :)

HarryToolips
04-17-2018, 09:02 PM
Bears are very easy to stalk up on, enjoy your iron sight....

Wild one
04-17-2018, 09:23 PM

It is all about personal accuracy we it comes to shot distance stick with in your skill level

Possible to get that close to a bear hell yes my closest bear was 4 yards

caddisguy
04-17-2018, 10:01 PM
Bears are very easy to stalk up on, enjoy your iron sight....

More good advice here... when mowing grass or tearing up a log to get at bugs they are pretty much oblivous.

Other times they know you're there and don't even care. In some cases this time of year I find that if I was in their feeding area first and they come in, they know I'm there any don't get spooked even if I get up and start walking around. If I walk into their area and they bust me, they usually bolt or slowly wander off.

They are odd critters... never predictable which outcome it will be but there really are only 3 outcomes... either it bolts, it doesn't care or it gets cranky.

caddisguy
04-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Who is heading out this weekend? I think Region 2 will start showing some reasonable activity.

caddisgirl has a meeting and is doing the sun run, so I'll be heading out with my brother.

I expect most of the snow will be gone and I expect the ticks to be ruthless.

I figure this weekend will be a 1 in 4 shot, the following 1/3 and 2/3 each following weekend.

Going to do some filming. Will see some deer and some birds for sure. I got a new digital camcorder in the mail today. Seems pretty decent for a cheapy. Sadly I just unboxed the new SJ4000 cam I received a week or two ago and it has a nick in the lens cover on the camera housing... makes a cloudy blotch on the video. I'll probably run it a bit but less than I hoped. Will be packing the old point-shoot cam too (video only 640x480 but good optical zoom for pics) just so I can be properly equipped like a full on tourist lol

Noob
04-17-2018, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys. Prolly not this weekend for me. Thinking to go after some turkey or more likely just for a field survey. I'll be watching this thread tho hopefully there will be someone to land a hand to Noob in the weeks coming after.

I'm happy with my rifle sighting but it doesn't stop me from dry fire practice. My bench shooting is good for paper plate at 50yds, softball 2 out of 3. I'm not sure how would that work off hand.

decker9
04-18-2018, 02:47 AM

My bear rifles are iron sights, makes it a lot more intresting sneaking into iron sight range, as long as the wind is right, it’s not to hard to do. With a bit of practice, 100 yards is quite manageable. I limit myself to about 125 yards before my front sight starts covering to much of my target.

caddisguy
04-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Just got back a couple hours ago. I left on Thursday night... brother met me up there Friday afternoon. I pounded my spots from Friday morning until mid Saturday. Bears are up in my area but not very active. The grass is getting hit, probably at night. I usually have a couple trailcams on hand but purposely didn't bring them. Slight regret. I got some decent footage of deer, checking out sign and what not. By Saturday afternoon I was pretty discouraged. Turned into a beer weekend instead of a bear weekend. Things will start heating up in a week from now. I think 14 days from now will be prime time for the Fraser Valley. Despite the long winter I have a feeling it will another early and sudden peak.

Noob
04-25-2018, 12:11 AM
How about this weekend tho, anyone interested, locally?

plumberjustin
04-25-2018, 10:23 AM
How about this weekend tho, anyone interested, locally?
I’ll be hunting afternoons/evenings next week in the Fraser Valley. Bound to see a bear down in this thread pretty quick.

scotty30-06
04-25-2018, 02:10 PM
Well I'm living through you guys....my son cant seem to figure out when he wants to be born...so gotta stay with in cell range and close to home just in case....maybe try to sneak out by late may early June but I'm not sure....at least tags will be good for fall bears.

Throwaway
04-25-2018, 07:58 PM
Getting married May 12. Primetime. Haven’t even had a free weekend to check zeros. May long is gonna be my last kick at the can and can hopefully find one that’s not all rubbed out.

RyoTHC
04-25-2018, 08:42 PM
Went out 2-7 tonight, saw lots of deer, and a couple moose as well as coyotes but no sign of bear anywhere yet!

butthead
04-25-2018, 08:58 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6936&stc=1for you spring bear hunters there out and about.
didnt see it but the tracks are there and saw some big scat in the fall

Ron.C
04-25-2018, 09:15 PM

sure is. Got this guy with my Grandpas old iron sighted .303 Savage

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Bear116.jpg

RackStar
04-26-2018, 05:43 AM
Just saw the secound bear of the year here in PG. Little ******* raided my garbage can a hour ago.

caddisguy
04-26-2018, 07:02 AM
Getting married May 12. Primetime. Haven’t even had a free weekend to check zeros. May long is gonna be my last kick at the can and can hopefully find one that’s not all rubbed out.

That means wedding anniversary every year at prime time. I hope your wife likes hunting bears! :) Seriously though congrats!

Throwaway
04-26-2018, 01:12 PM
That means wedding anniversary every year at prime time. I hope your wife likes hunting bears! :) Seriously though congrats!

Thanks man. Thankfully she does. She wasn’t raised hunting or fishing but she’s come around. We’re chasing hatches from Hwy 24 and all points north for a honeymoon. So I got it good.

monasheemountainman
04-26-2018, 02:29 PM
sure is. Got this guy with my Grandpas old iron sighted .303 Savage

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Bear116.jpg

Nice bear Ron!

tigrr
04-26-2018, 09:10 PM
A little bear came out here. Paw isn't even 4 inches wide. A cougar track was following the bears track. Not holding out much hope for the bear. Still snow in the bush.

Shikari300WSM
04-27-2018, 09:42 PM
Was out in Adams lake. Snow up high lower elevation looked good but not freaking bears seen or sign anywhere. Trying to figure out where to try next, maybe somewhere closer to kamloops...any tips? :lol:

Wrj
04-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Was out in Adams lake. Snow up high lower elevation looked good but not freaking bears seen or sign anywhere. Trying to figure out where to try next, maybe somewhere closer to kamloops...any tips? :lol:

Adams Lake holds ALOT of bears...just 2 weeks early right now.

HarryToolips
04-28-2018, 01:53 PM
You may not see scat for a few weeks once they're out of their dens, as it takes them a while to rid of their fecal plug..

scotty30-06
04-28-2018, 02:38 PM
Mowed grass seems to be the first signs is always see....if ya see grass that's mowed in the middle of nowhere...regardless of scat that's a bear spot lol

Stone Sheep Steve
04-28-2018, 03:00 PM
Saw 4 blackies last night in a short outing.

Scrawny rat bear that was already so rubbbed I thought it was a skinny black wolf.

The other bears were a gorgeous butterscotch sow, one blonde cub and one dark chocolate cub
( chocolate and vanilla!)

RyoTHC
04-28-2018, 03:04 PM
I've now been a nice sow and two big healthy Cubs, as well as two others solo and wandering... Still yet to find any scat though...
Should probably start carrying my rifle and not just the binos ^^

Shashlik
04-28-2018, 06:51 PM
Went for few hours between Merritt and Kamloops today. Looks like to early for the area by about two weeks. Still a lot of snow and I haven't seen any sign accept some wolf tracks.

Shikari300WSM
04-28-2018, 10:49 PM
Saw 4 blackies last night in a short outing.

Scrawny rat bear that was already so rubbbed I thought it was a skinny black wolf.

The other bears were a gorgeous butterscotch sow, one blonde cub and one dark chocolate cub
( chocolate and vanilla!)

Dann I need to go wherever you're going lol!!! Around kamloops today nothing sighted

RyoTHC
04-28-2018, 10:52 PM
They are 100 percent out and about west of Kamloops, going out towards Ashcroft etc. Tunkwa area too

Golddust
04-28-2018, 11:20 PM
Was out by Harrison on Friday. saw 2 beauty black bears but I figure they were young ones. One crept up into the camp 10-15 yards away just after dinner. The dogs chased it away and treed it though.

whitlers
04-29-2018, 12:51 AM
Trying my luck next weekend. Fingers crossed.

Just
04-29-2018, 06:54 AM
Dann I need to go wherever you're going lol!!! Around kamloops today nothing sighted
Was camping out in the Kane lakes area and seen a moose this weekend. No sign of bear bears yet. There is green grass around!

Camp Cook
04-29-2018, 08:25 AM
I had to bury my pup this week put him up on a mtn that same evening when I went back to rake the grave up better when I walked out to the vehicle 200 yards down on the grassy part on the side of the road was a beautiful med sized black bear.

Watched him for a while then let him see me I won't be shooting this guy for any reason I'm thinking my pup is not alone up there... :(

caddisguy
04-29-2018, 03:11 PM
*** It's 100% GAME ON ***

I don't know where to start... how about WE SAW *HIM* ... by *HIM* I mean the bear that charged me in August ... the bear that also had his face up against mine through a soft plastic window while I was sleeping... the bear I first met last April when he ran a few yards behind my jeep while it was running while I was changing.

Yesterday we found a great new spot... we had decided to start scouting for a new honey hole since our other spot is pretty blown up. Once a few people in an MU know you are consistently successful and know what your vehicle looks like, you start getting a lot of followers. Heaven forbid you post something on your Facebook with a mountain or other land mark too. Next thing you know you have guys running hounds in your spot (LESSON) Anyway, new honey hole found... huge win, we can tell by the sign. Bear scat everywhere, grass hit, stumps all ripped up from previous years.

Anyway, we went back to our soon-to-be-old spot because of unfinished business. Decided to grill up a sandwhich and while doing so had that sixth sense something is watching me... little creepy chill. I immediately think of the creepy bear and turn around and there he is... guessing about 180 yards sitting up there from his look out, staring right at us, ears pointed up. He knows who we are... our scent and the whole works. He's thinking. Thinking what I'm not sure. From previous encounters he seems to be trying to sort out if we are food or threat.

I evaluated the situation for a minute or two. We watched him. He bed down for a second and I thought AWESOME... will be the second year in a row I got a bear while he was snoozing... but nope, he got back up... now he's sitting upright on this cliff like he's in a chair and man-spreading (which is apparently a micro-aggression lol) ... ok so problem, some brush in between me and him, line of site is not perfect and I'd like to get closer (I usually shoot bears from 10-20 yards and longest was 60 or 70... 150 would be my comfort zone in perfect conditions)

I had to get a clear shot and I had to get closer. I grabbed my gun and the shooting stick. My first instinct was to use the old growth treeline as cover so there was no way he could see, but the wind wasn't going my way. I decided to go in from another approach, but the wind switched. Back to the original plan, and this is all pretty stupid. He knows I'm there. I just don't want him to see/hear me getting closer.

I worked my way into a position where I thought I would have a clear shot and went prone but couldn't get the angle on him. I thought I would try to get a little closer and a place where I could actually get in prone position. There's enough uneven terrain and dead fall it's harder than you would think. I dropped down in another spot. It wasn't very good either but I was going to try to make it work.

I got him in my scope and was trying to wait a little to calm the nerves, get my shooting stick steady, get comfortable, etc. Unfortunately before I was able to start making things happening on my terms he starts climbing up the knob...

Ok pause for a second. I think a lot of people here know me pretty good and have probably read how many shots I pass on each year before I tag a bear. I won't shoot unless its perfect. If this was any other animal, I would not have taken the shot. My cross hairs were all over the place and he's on the move. Before anybody judges what happens next, unless you have been charged by a bear, had the same bear creep up to you while your sleeping and then had a "chance" at it well there's no position to judge. I threw some lead at him and he ran uphill. I checked back in with caddisgirl to see what she saw. She said he jumped but couldn't tell if it was a hit.

We climbed up to where he was. No sign of fur or blood. We did a grid search for 100M or so in the mossy old growth and came up with nothing. Oh well. My only regrets are 1) not taking a second shot 2) time wasted checking to see if I hit him (but you have to) 3) not having a grenade launcher 4) trying to go prone instead of kneeling/sitting

I am torn trying to figure out what to do with the rest of the season. Keep after the same bear in a spot that is now under high pressure... target that specific bear, hunt the spot the way I normally hunt it, move to the new area that has 0 pressure and major bear activity. I have some thinking to do.

Wicked part is, we have been getting so much of this on camera it's going to be a gooder when we edit all together. I think it will help a lot of new hunters when it comes to reading sign and we hopefully help a lot of people get their first big game animal.

It's going to be a great year especially fall GOS.

Oh and the ticks are out too (I'm sure they were before I'm just hunting a little harder) I just picked one out of my ankle half way through writing this.

scotty30-06
04-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Great read as always caddis...and yes shut does happen ....I myself would want to finish the situation with the bear myself ...before someone else gets him....you and that bear have history....go get YOUR bear lol

boxhitch
04-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Good story
Give credit where credit is due........you likely whacked him good

caddisguy
04-29-2018, 05:09 PM
Great read as always caddis...and yes shut does happen ....I myself would want to finish the situation with the bear myself ...before someone else gets him....you and and that bear have history....go get YOUR bear lol

I'm annoyed the spot has been blown by creepers and those who focus on me and what I'm doing more than hunting, but I'd be 100% ecstatic if someone else shot him. It's not something I have to finish myself. It's personal but not that personal. Would be nice to see birds circling next weekend so I could just go confirm then hunt my new spot :D

caddisguy
04-29-2018, 05:57 PM
Good story
Give credit where credit is due........you likely whacked him good

I half hope so (sorry to say) but dont think I even clipped him but reasonable chance I'll whack him. I'll probably stick around to see it through. Funny it was your words of encouragement (friendly prodding) that is 99% responsible for the bear I decided to take last year. I actually have the raw video footage kicking around somewhere and I'm saying "boxhitch made me do it" or "wasnt going to pass on another bear or boxhitch will have something to say" ... I started walking away then changed my mind :D Might dig that clip up lol

I wonder if what transpired will change the dynamics of the situation. Will he fear people? Or was I just another recreational shooter? (There was gun shots in the valley all day)

My biggest fear is to shoot but not recover an animal. In this case I'd be happy if I stung him. Bonus if there's birds circling in the coming days I'd cut the pretend moral tag and start fishing.

Rob Chipman
04-29-2018, 08:13 PM
Caddisguy:

You can't let that man spreading (boar spreading?) go unpunished. I don't believe in killing innocent animals, but I will confirm that this bear is guilty of a serious micro-aggression. :-)

Wicked story, btw. I eagerly await the end.

Ohwildwon
04-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Checked out my spot for the first time on Saturday ..

As I suspected not quite ready, maybe another week to green up, elevation is around 2000ft..

Snow on the spur roads around 12"-18", main had been plowed (logging starting higher up)...

Set up cam with salt and cob..

Rubbed the crap out of the camera and strap with fresh pine boughs, hopefully he won't screw with the camera this year!

griffincarruthers
04-29-2018, 10:38 PM
was out saturday night for the first time this year. seen one that was pretty close to being a shooter and then about 2 minutes later came up on a BIG boar. tried to close in the distance from 500yds. he winded us at about 300. hoping to go find him tomorrow

srupp
04-30-2018, 12:40 AM
Pick up travel trailer. .aka the lodge tomorrow..license and bear tag purchased online today, as well as LEH filled in submitted.checked forest lake..good next week.some cleaning, stocking. ..it will be fly fishing and bear hunting sausage trip.
Bathroom done since last fall, also man cave trophy room completely done, now kitchen in process. .contractor doing couple things im not capable.
Forest isnt..off to Lemon . it will be better if enough snow has gone.
New strategy this year..go with tt for a bit of rest and relaxation..not going out every day $$$$$$$$ with gas prices..sold quad wait for 2019 in july..here for deer moose scouting season.
Good luck all
Ettienne

45freezer
04-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Caddis, see this one through brother, still rooting for you and stoked to hear you at least got a shot off on old pesky. Still time to seal the deal on that creepy bruin and then hit the new spot with caddisgirl and your bro, I have a feeling it will eat away at you all summer if you don't catch up with him and at least now you know he's still in the area!

caddisguy
04-30-2018, 01:41 PM
Caddis, see this one through brother, still rooting for you and stoked to hear you at least got a shot off on old pesky. Still time to seal the deal on that creepy bruin and then hit the new spot with caddisgirl and your bro, I have a feeling it will eat away at you all summer if you don't catch up with him and at least now you know he's still in the area!

It looks like we'll be after him this weekend. I believe I found his "safe space" where he likes to hold up a lot of the time. It would be tricky to get line of sight without getting busted, but it's not impossible and I have one idea so far. Ideally he's not there when I slip in. I know some of the area he grazes as well but that has some other logistical problems but I have a possible solution. So there's a couple options.

Things could be different now though since not only did I scare the crap out of him, I pursued him, showing up at his lookout less than an hour afterwards and tried to track him down, then the next morning we got all scent all over where he seems like to nap/chill. Pretty sure we heard him cracking around inside the timber that morning too but it could have been a different bear. I have probably educated him in some way so it will be interesting to see if he makes any adjustments. I have seen him in person 4x now, all the same time of day except the one time around 2AM.

It looks like we are in for a dry week. If the weather does what it says, things will be a bit crunchy. While that will make it a little more difficult to sneak around, it will help in keeping tabs on where he is and what he is up to. It's a good trade off. I think there is a decent chance it will all go down this weekend.

It would eat at me a little if he makes it through another season. I feel uneasy having my wife or brother around that area.

I'll have an update Sunday or earlier... hopefully a success story.

RackStar
04-30-2018, 02:02 PM
Filmed a nice sow and cub off the highway here in PG this morning
2 weeks it will be full game on up here.

walks with deer
04-30-2018, 02:13 PM
caddisguy i hope you get him...

sounds like he is a very stubburn bear..unless you hit him he will come back..

do you know anybody with hounds..?

caddisguy
04-30-2018, 09:32 PM
caddisguy i hope you get him...

sounds like he is a very stubburn bear..unless you hit him he will come back..

do you know anybody with hounds..?

Stubborn for sure which could be a good thing. He is claiming residency (encroaching on my territory!) from April to September while most bears are just there to hit the first grass and they move on shortly after. I don't think he will give all that up over a bit of a stalk and a loud bang. I really don't think I even came close. It was really the most pathetic/sloppy performance one could dream up. I just hope I didn't educate him into being more sneaky.

No good buddies with hounds but the thought crossed my mind for sure (I think it's even worthy of CO's) Maybe me and caddisgirl charging into the timber barking when we hear a snap will do the trick and tree him j/k ... I'd hate to blow up the spot even more... but there is definitely one houndsman who knows and was probably tipped off by someone who knows me, who I can authenticate by vehicle description and date he drove up. If he reads this I could put him on a fresh trail with half a dozen poops, many still green.

caddisguy
05-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Well here it goes. I'm heading out. It's probably all going to go down tomorrow. Well it better anyway. I want to be done with this and go fishing... so does caddisgirl.

We will be targeting the problem bear all tomorrow and failing that, any bear all Saturday and maybe Sunday morning too.

Got an approach planned for every wind. Hopefully it's not all over the place but even then we have multiple spots with plans A-Z for each.

It's going to be crunchy but that's fine. More of an advantage than not with bears if you plan enough.

We've been filming everything since there was 2 feet of snow so good memories for us and should be a good watch... putting lots of effort into that as we decide we are taking next spring off... no bear hunting next spring, just care free fishing.

Good luck to everyone else heading out.

plumberjustin
05-04-2018, 04:26 AM
I’ve got a little spot 15 mins from my house that I’ve been targeting. Booking off work early to get up for an early afternoon hunt. Haven’t been up there yet this season, but last year it was crawling with bear sign. Fingers crossed.

jaridwarren
05-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Anyone ever poke around the Boston Bar area? I'll be there next weekend and was wondering if I could get pointed in the right direction.

caddisguy
05-22-2018, 04:15 PM
Anyone ever poke around the Boston Bar area? I'll be there next weekend and was wondering if I could get pointed in the right direction.

Just jump out anywhere there is a grass and reprod and a drainage near by then go for a walk. Like everywhere else it's infested with bears. Find the grass and you will find the poops and you will find the torn up logs then you will find the saplings with hair. The sign well tell you they are there and what they are up to. Most people overlook bear sign because it's just so common everywhere... "everything looks usual here! must not be any bears" ... just stick around and figure out these pockets. This time of year you will be tripping over bears. In Region 2 there's a little more cover and bears know how to use it. They are taught generation to generation to take cover when vehicles are around so I don't recommend road hunting... it can work but when it does it is a rare exception.

I actually read a post on FB last week... someone was saying "drove for 8 hours around west harrison, covered 200km and didn't see anything... no poops on the road so they must not be out" ... don't be that guy! :D

Whenever I see ATV tracks going into my spots I think thank goodness he didn't park and walk. That's my best tip for you for Region 2 (including Boston Bar)

Wild one
05-22-2018, 05:25 PM

Keep driving another hr or 2 down north it’s worth it. Yes Boston bar holds bears but everyone from the lower mainland has been hitting that area for the last 20 years

that said if you do hit Boston bar take Caddisguy’s advice and walk don’t road hunt

jaridwarren
05-23-2018, 03:36 PM
Keep driving another hr or 2 down north it’s worth it.

Sorry, having trouble understanding this. An hour north or south?

caddisguy: great advice, I'll get out of the truck and take it slow on foot.

caddisguy
05-23-2018, 04:31 PM

If it helps any I posted up a bear hunt video from this year on another thread in this section. I filmed and edited that video with one goal and it was to show the kind of terrain to key in on. It doesn't really matter where you go. It could be up either side of harrison, chilliwack, yale, princeton, boston bar... it's all the same there are bears everywhere. They are a little more stealthy in region 2 so road hunting is not really productive.

As Wild One mention there are much easier places to harvest bears. Clinton, Cache Creek, 100 Mile, Quesnel, Smithers, Kamloops... heck I have never hunted PG but from the sounds of it you can drive right up, get out, walk out to them and you have yourself a bear.

It all depends on what you want to do and what you want your hunt to look like. Personally I like to stay close to home do the detective work... scientific method. I'm a failed blacktail hunter, so it's really all I have... makes me feel like part of the ecosystem

Wild one
05-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Drive north past Boston bar and the bear hunting gets better

I am often half asleep when posting here lol

Wild one
05-23-2018, 04:45 PM
Caddisguy Seeing you’re bear video I can see you pay attention to detail so you will figure out BT in time

Took me years of going crazy before I did and now I live too far north to hunt them lol

RyoTHC
05-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Keep going north pastboston bar. Logan lake. Tunkwa. Cache Creek, etc. Less pressure, every hour further you get away from Vancouver the spot will get exponentially less pressure.

caddisguy
05-23-2018, 05:16 PM
Caddisguy Seeing you’re bear video I can see you pay attention to detail so you will figure out BT in time

Took me years of going crazy before I did and now I live too far north to hunt them lol

It's been years too. Like every year, I truly believe this year I have unlocked the secret to figuring out this one pocket of BT's. Maybe this time it will check out?

How far North do you have to be to be outside of BT turf? I thought the sitka BT's went all the way up the coast of Alaska? Or do you just mean Columbian BT's? Maybe you are inland?

Anyway it's not a total loss. Like you said it trains you to key in on detail. Then you apply blacktail tactics to spring bear and it just feels like it should be illegal... unfair chase lol

Wild one
05-23-2018, 05:26 PM
It's been years too. Like every year, I truly believe this year I have unlocked the secret to figuring out this one pocket of BT's. Maybe this time it will check out?

How far North do you have to be to be outside of BT turf? I thought the sitka BT's went all the way up the coast of Alaska? Or do you just mean Columbian BT's? Maybe you are inland?

Anyway it's not a total loss. Like you said it trains you to key in on detail. Then you apply blacktail tactics to spring bear and it just feels like it should be illegal... unfair chase lol

Sitka’s are about 6-7hrs west and Columbian 11hrs south of me so bit of a drive. I miss BT hunting but not the lower mainland lol

Black bear hunting well you hear pg is good not as good as my place. Wife knocked down a big boar few days ago now my search for a giant can start.

Camp Cook
05-23-2018, 06:50 PM
I made a quick drive up the Chilliwack area this morning I came around a bend on a logging road and spotted a small sow and a tiny cub run off the road appr 50 yards in front of me.

About 10 min later I parked got out to do some things there 350 yards down the road was a black blob.

So I reached into the SUV and grabbed my bino's when I looked I couldn't see a black blob anywhere kept looking when there where the blob had been was a coyote running up the road towards me he winded me at 75 yards.

Went about what I was doing when I noticed the black blob again grabbed the bino's again there standing in the middle of the road was a very large black bear I kept watching when out popped two large bear cubs.

I was able to sneak down a trail and got to 40 yards from the sow before she winded me.

Throwaway
05-23-2018, 11:07 PM
Got my first ever bear Monday morning. Not tanker by any means but beautiful chocolate coat on him. Measured him at 5’8” nose to tail. Skinning and quartering my first ever bear in 25c heat was a lot of fun... never thought I’d be one of these guys but I’d upload pics but I can’t figure out how without getting errors.

Camp Cook
05-24-2018, 06:06 AM
Congrates...

I haven't seen a shootible bear yet this year.

scotty30-06
05-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Congrats to all for just getting out...haven't been out yet this season at all....but my son was born on the 18th so been having some fun hanging out with him.....gotta build bonding time with my future hunting partner lol.

weatherby_man
05-24-2018, 12:06 PM

Sent you a PM.