PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got moose yet?

rollingrock
08-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I know one group, three people, is back home with two moose. One of the bulls might have broken the record.

Mr. Dean
08-19-2007, 02:20 PM
I heard of some but haven't seen any yet.

Forthright
08-19-2007, 03:03 PM
my girlfriends dad is up by Dawson creek somewhere, and at last report he hadn't seen anything...they were gonna give it one more day, before moving camp. he should be back early next week, we will see what he brings home.

steve

4pointer
08-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I just got confirmed reports that HighCountry and the rest of my group have bagged two moose. He'll post pics when he gets home. They will be still up for the rest of this week.

Jetboat
08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
One of my co-workers son's got his first bull moose this morning :D It's a little spiker bull that should be great eating.

Wildfoot
08-19-2007, 04:16 PM
my father in law and a friend were in hudson's hope for 5 days. Didnt see one bull, only 8 cows. First time they have ever been skunked up there! The ticks have decimated the bull population.

Jetboat
08-19-2007, 04:26 PM
The ticks have decimated the bull population

How did you come up with this interesting conclusion? I've lived here for over twenty five years and this is the first time I've ever heard this theory.

Guido02
08-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Population in Dawson Creek and west area is off by quite a bit. Have run into a few cows in last two days but prime areas in past have not given up a track so far.
Area around Tumbler Ridge has lots of camps set up for hunting but I did not see anything hanging up..
Caught small bull in canola field last nite and he should be tastey

Wildfoot
08-19-2007, 04:52 PM
that is what our friend, who maintains some private hunting land around hudson's hope said. He had emailed us pics of a bunch of dead bulls - im not sure if he would be right, but he did say that it was from ticks.

Im pretty sure there was a thread on this site in june sometime about the ticks and CWD up around Dawson's Creek?

ianwuzhere
08-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Wildfoot, u should post them pix of the dead bulls from ticks, id be interested in seeing them,
thanx

todbartell
08-19-2007, 05:03 PM
mmmmm early season moose meat

Wildfoot
08-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Wildfoot, u should post them pix of the dead bulls from ticks, id be interested in seeing them,
thanx

i couldnt find them.. i was hoping to post them. I will see if i can get them emailed to me again.

4pointer
08-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Something is killing off the bulls. From what I heard from the boys in the field, they only saw cows on our usual areas. Usually they would see more bulls but only managed two so far.

KodiakHntr
08-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Drove to Tumbler Ridge friday, and back today, on the way saw 11 dead bulls in pickups, today saw 3 dead ones. Saw one tri-palm on saturday, and 2 little bulls last night.

KodiakHntr
08-19-2007, 05:57 PM
(The tri and the two little ones were live...)

CanAm500
08-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Friend at work is out for a moose hunt right now.

We are mobolizing on the 13th of Septmeber.

talver
08-19-2007, 06:16 PM
would be nice to see some pics. a hard winter after the rut might be the cause the shortage of bulls, but hopefully there some left up there

Jetboat
08-19-2007, 06:42 PM
The bulls are here. They aren't all dead or died off :lol: We've had a lot different summer than last year's drought. Lot's of bulls around...if you know where to look :wink: Too many folks stick with the same spots year after year and overlook the changing dynamics of the habitat and conditions.

overthetop
08-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Buddies of mine just came from chetwyn with 2

Statler
08-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Myself and yukon just got back from a trip up the alaska highway. We connected with a nice bull on the second day. Would have liked to stay a while but there was an incredible amount of hunters about. Place was like a zoo. On opening day there was one taken at mile 153 by a group of two, 5 moose by a group of 8 and 2 moose by a group of 5. We heard of a few more taken in the same area but can't confirm them. Not too bad at all.

wetcoasthunter
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Come on guys, get those stories and pictures posted, I'm dying here.

30-06
08-20-2007, 01:19 PM
listening to all the moose being take.there better be some there when i go up end of September begining of October

browningboy
08-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Any of you guys that came back, how was the weather and bugs?, should have been a little better as its not 30 deg but the skitters must have been bad due to the rain and dampness.
Well congrats to all that are sucessfull.:wink:

daycort
08-20-2007, 10:18 PM
hiking around this year looking for elk sheds at work I came across a total of 7 dead bull moose on one strtch of pipeline. It was still in march so ticks propably were not an issue. lots i seen were starving through the last stretch of winter. but there are still moose up here you just have to jump off the quad and do some bush beating.

Vossie
08-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Just came back from Chetwynd on a 6 day hunt and got skunked. Was there one day before for scouting. Normally the place is a slaughter house and all the camps have moose hanging. Saw only 2 moose harvested. O second day most camps left. CO came by one afternoon and said in all the camps there were only 5 bulls. Found 4 dead bulls in the cuts and bush. Antlers only stumps that would indicate death in winter. Local farmer said they had 12 ft of snow there and he thinks it is winter kill that got the moose. Only saw one large cow, no cow calf combos, something you normally see 2 -3 times a day. And yes I did get off my quad.

Question to locals: if it is a winter kill and the moose were pounded last year, how long does it take to recover?

Forthright
08-22-2007, 01:20 AM
my girlfriends dad came back, and they got skunked. they were up by dawson creek.

steve

Gus
08-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Just got back from a quick trip, me and a partner managed to put one down. I wont be able to post pictures until this weekend though.

willy442
08-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Just came back from Chetwynd on a 6 day hunt and got skunked. Was there one day before for scouting. Normally the place is a slaughter house and all the camps have moose hanging. Saw only 2 moose harvested. O second day most camps left. CO came by one afternoon and said in all the camps there were only 5 bulls. Found 4 dead bulls in the cuts and bush. Antlers only stumps that would indicate death in winter. Local farmer said they had 12 ft of snow there and he thinks it is winter kill that got the moose. Only saw one large cow, no cow calf combos, something you normally see 2 -3 times a day. And yes I did get off my quad.

Question to locals: if it is a winter kill and the moose were pounded last year, how long does it take to recover?

To answer your question on how long it will take for the game (not only moose) to come back, it will be a few years as you have seen on the site, we have very few cow calf pairs this year. My quess is the seasons will be reduced or further limited after this season and then 4-5 years to be back near normal if mother nature cooperates. The guy's going further north are doing better as the winter kill was not as severe up there. I,ve been working in the Stewart Lake area for about 6 weeks now and I can tell you we have hardly seen any Moose.

willy442
08-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Drove to Tumbler Ridge friday, and back today, on the way saw 11 dead bulls in pickups, today saw 3 dead ones. Saw one tri-palm on saturday, and 2 little bulls last night.

I live here and drive these same roads daily. I haven't seen 5 dead moose yet this year. I call "BULLSHIT"

GoatGuy
08-22-2007, 03:24 PM
To answer your question on how long it will take for the game (not only moose) to come back, it will be a few years as you have seen on the site, we have very few cow calf pairs this year. My quess is the seasons will be reduced or further limited after this season and then 4-5 years to be back near normal if mother nature cooperates. The guy's going further north are doing better as the winter kill was not as severe up there. I,ve been working in the Stewart Lake area for about 6 weeks now and I can tell you we have hardly seen any Moose.

What are the moose numbers? What should you be seeing?

What's the proposed regulations changes?

What will you see in 4-5 years after said changes have been implemented?

Exactly how many are hardly any?

You must have seen 5 dead moose this year with all the winter kill? No?

4pointer
08-22-2007, 03:43 PM
The moose would have a better chance of survival if they stop spraying the willow that the moose feed on. This will increase their food supply during the summer and fall to fatten up. I've seen lots herbicide spraying, sometimes whole valleys where there is no more willows.

Vossie
08-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Very interesting about the herbicide 4pointer. I saw a number of discarded herbicide bags along the road in the area that we operated in.

browningboy
08-22-2007, 09:25 PM
I can see them nixing the aug moose hunt in the near future until the numbers are up, unless its not that bad???

Upearly
08-23-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm wondering how much of an impact the timing of herbicide spraying does have on the moose hunt. I talked to a hunter yesterday who just returned from Chetwyn. This group of six hunters saw lots of moose in their first three days and had no trouble getting three bulls. A helicopter then flew over them and sprayed the area as well as them (including a nursing mother). After this happened not one of them saw another moose for the rest of the week. Perhaps this herbicide spraying has short term and long term consequences that are not even being considered in the current wildlife/hunting debate. Maybe not good if they spray the week before the hunt begins! Maybe not beneficial to wildlife if they spray at all!

willy442
08-23-2007, 07:45 AM
What are the moose numbers? What should you be seeing?

What's the proposed regulations changes?

What will you see in 4-5 years after said changes have been implemented?

Exactly how many are hardly any?

You must have seen 5 dead moose this year with all the winter kill? No?

Sorry: I don't believe in wasting my time. I'm sure that while flying packages in and out of Kelowna with your Business Management degree, you've had plenty of time to come to your own misinformed conclusions.

Fisher-Dude
08-23-2007, 07:53 AM

I think the guide outfitters have killed them all. Best we take away their tags and allow residents to continue hunting moose, as is our right as taxpayers in this province.

willy442
08-23-2007, 08:02 AM
I think the guide outfitters have killed them all. Best we take away their tags and allow residents to continue hunting moose, as is our right as taxpayers in this province.

Showing your INTELLIGENCE again. I question how much good your views do for the rest of the hunting population. I will have the last laugh when you are on your knees in front of the Fish and Wildlife office in Victoria begging for an LEH tag sooner than you think. Oh, and outfitters will still hunt moose in area's you can't get to. Good Day

Steeleco
08-23-2007, 08:09 AM
This thread had digressed AGAIN to a scrap not discussion.