PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia about being followed...

Big Lew
02-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Many years ago when I was very actively hunting before I retired, I had an incident that led
to paranoid feelings of being followed into my most secret hunting places. As is common,
those workmates that hunt and fish often chat around the lunchroom about their successes
and failures. I was no exception, but even though I was usually quite successful, didn't really
consider or worry about other workers trying to find my best spots. That all changed one fall.
As is usually the case, several other workers also booked the same time off to go hunting as me.
Especially when considering the short time frame allowed, I didn't think anything about it.
As it turned out, a non-hunter workmate friend overheard some workers plotting to tail me into
my 'honey holes'. They knew my truck and when I was going to head out. One of the things they
didn't consider was that almost all commercial truck drivers are constantly watching their mirrors so
become interested if they notice vehicles hanging back and keeping the same pace as they are.
On this trip one of my brothers was along. With the forewarning, we pulled into Hope and drove
around in the residential area a bit before stopping for fuel and then went into a restaurant for
a meal. We were able to confirm we were being tailed. After eating, we left and headed up the
Canyon highway, taking the Spences Bridge to Merritt route, and from there we headed north toward
Tunkwa Lake. We knew this road like the back of my hand, and as it was all gravel which I had extensive
racing experience on, we were able to get far ahead of the tailing party. Once reaching the main hwy at
Savona, we headed to Kamloops, and then on to the Little Fort-100 Mile hwy. They had absolutely
no idea where we went, or even in what region.....so how many will admit to have either tried to follow
someone, or have also been followed?

Chrispryn
02-17-2018, 10:33 AM
Wow that's a crazy story. I hope you had something to say to those guys back at work?

hoochie
02-17-2018, 10:41 AM
someone found the road to tinfoil junction

Big Lew
02-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Wow that's a crazy story. I hope you had something to say to those guys back at work?

Nope, just a big smile every time they looked at me.

markomoose
02-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Only had that "Feeling"when I'm out fishing and you are catching fish and everyone else starts to follow you?

walks with deer
02-17-2018, 12:11 PM
i have been known to park my truck in location x so anybody in the area who knows me thinks i am hunting there...then go to my blind in someone elses truck..lol sounds like those guys went for 1 hell of a drive.

emerson
02-17-2018, 12:27 PM
I just walk down into the river bottom bush. Never had an issue with people following me down there.

.300WSMImpact!
02-17-2018, 01:00 PM
In kelowna this is how people find hunting spots, nobody works and looks for themselves they like to work off other peoples sweat

Jagermeister
02-17-2018, 02:44 PM
In kelowna this is how people find hunting spots, nobody works and looks for themselves they like to work off other peoples sweat
Those are called millennials.

I used to seek solitude when hunting. But came a time when that all changed.
I went to my usual spot where there was once nary a soul. Then came a day when hunters popped up like flies on a bear's ass. I was pretty sure they weren't tailing me. I was considering on going to scout another area but decided to plant my ass on a log up against a stump that served as a back rest and watch the area.
I had a good vista and could see a hunter here and a hunter there and a several more to boot. All had accessed the area off the same road at different intervals. Probably oblivious to each other but you know how sound travels up hill, I could hear them quite plainly.
As I watched them, a strange occurrence unveiled. Animals started to appear, a coyote, a bear and several deer. And a nice buck among them.
The nice thing, these animals are moving in my general direction. I would lose sight of them periodically and then they would show. I had lost interest in the bear and the coyote dropped off the map but the deer were advancing in my general direction. And then I couldn't see them.
I couldn't remember the lay of the land in front of me and was surprised when the buck appeared directly in front less than 50 yards away. He was looking over his shoulder back whence he came. I must have coughed or farted as he swung his head back to the front, tensing up like they do just before they bolt. I was ready though as I had slid the safety to fire position ( remember the cough or fart? must've been the safety), shouldered and fire just as he launched himself.
You know you got a good shot off when you hear that deep thwack sound that instantly follows the rifle report.
And you know how the report of a rifle is sure to draw a crowd? Good thing, I had help gutting and dragging the buck to the road.
So if one day your favorite secret hunting spot is overrun with hunters, don't worry, be happy. Plant your ass on a stump and let your involuntary drivers do the work for you. Worked for me.

MichelD
02-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Those are called millennials.

I used to seek solitude when hunting. But came a time when that all changed.
I went to my usual spot where there was once nary a soul. Then came a day when hunters popped up like flies on a bear's ass. I was pretty sure they weren't tailing me. I was considering on going to scout another area but decided to plant my ass on a log up against a stump that served as a back rest and watch the area.
I had a good vista and could see a hunter here and a hunter there and a several more to boot. All had accessed the area off the same road at different intervals. Probably oblivious to each other but you know how sound travels up hill, I could hear them quite plainly.
As I watched them, a strange occurrence unveiled. Animals started to appear, a coyote, a bear and several deer. And a nice buck among them.
The nice thing, these animals are moving in my general direction. I would lose sight of them periodically and then they would show. I had lost interest in the bear and the coyote dropped off the map but the deer were advancing in my general direction. And then I couldn't see them.
I couldn't remember the lay of the land in front of me and was surprised when the buck appeared directly in front less than 50 yards away. He was looking over his shoulder back whence he came. I must have coughed or farted as he swung his head back to the front, tensing up like they do just before they bolt. I was ready though as I had slid the safety to fire position ( remember the cough or fart? must've been the safety), shouldered and fire just as he launched himself.
You know you got a good shot off when you hear that deep thwack sound that instantly follows the rifle report.
And you know how the report of a rifle is sure to draw a crowd? Good thing, I had help gutting and dragging the buck to the road.
So if one day your favorite secret hunting spot is overrun with hunters, don't worry, be happy. Plant your ass on a stump and let your involuntary drivers do the work for you. Worked for me.

Happened to me too.

I was in a popular spot, I realized that but I was still a little disappointed to see some guys right on the road as I drove up to a place I intended to hike into just before dark in an old burn where I'd seen lots of sign, and some does. One guy was walking and he stopped and pulled out a can of beer and a smoke and sat on the side of the road and a buddy came along on a quad and they started yacking.

I drove about a half a km around the corner, parked and slowly started uphill in a gulley surrounded by the burned up black trunks of the trees from the fire. After about half an hour I saw a movement and there was a buck coming along from the direction those guys had been in.

I'm sure that deer had intended to cross the road near where they were and had been effectively driven towards me.

HappyJack
02-17-2018, 04:47 PM
If you come right out and talk about where you hunt or fish they won't believe you and will stay away from your favourite haunts. And if by chance they do show up just let them run all over and push the game for you. Some of the best hunting for elk and moose is up north is in the Del Rio area. ;-) Now go find it on the map. Jackfish Lake is a hint.

Drillbit
02-17-2018, 08:25 PM
If you come right out and talk about where you hunt or fish they won't believe you and will stay away from your favourite haunts. And if by chance they do show up just let them run all over and push the game for you. Some of the best hunting for elk and moose is up north is in the Del Rio area. ;-) Now go find it on the map. Jackfish Lake is a hint.

I've hunted there. I never saw another hunter the entire time. Never saw an elk either tho!

As far as following, yep. Guy will follow the truck, but they are usually too lazy to walk the bush.

Gateholio
02-17-2018, 08:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpiYfKSJns

f350ps
02-17-2018, 11:08 PM
^^^Wow, now that yer incognito yer outta control! :) That said I totally agree with where you going! K

gamehunter6o
02-17-2018, 11:58 PM
Why follow and give the game away. Can't you buy little tracking thingies that you hide on a vehicle to track a cheating spouse?
I've never needed to buy one yet as I still knock over a few deer and am a good husband.
But at my age that could all change.:lol:

HappyJack
02-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Everyone knows the best hunting is in the Kootenay region. That's the place you wanna be.

Keta1969
02-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Guess I'm not a good hunter. Don't think anyone has ever followed me. In a smaller town though everyone knows each other's trucks and I'm sure take note of who might be parked where. It's not uncommon that more than one guy knows of a nice buck in an area.

HappyJack
02-18-2018, 08:41 PM
I have been followed, a few brash guys even waited till I started walking a road, and then drove past me on their atv. Bad karma gets those types eventually, lots of times they have flat tires when they get back to the truck or they roll over and bust their heads open on a big rock. At least that is the visions I have of what I'd like to happen to them.

bighornbob
02-18-2018, 09:41 PM
Happened to a regular member that used to post lots on here. One morning he's filling up at 7-11 and hears a few guys say "hey thats XXXX from HBC". As he left he saw the guys pull out behind him. He said they followed him right to where he was going. As he knew he was being followed he went into a different direction and parked his truck and just started walking through the nastiest blowdown around. Basically he gave up his day of hunting so as to fool them.

I think thats why he doesn't post anymore.

bhb

IslandWanderer
02-18-2018, 09:46 PM
Why not just pull over and talk to someone you suspect is following you?

Big Lew
02-18-2018, 10:38 PM
And spoil the fun of messing with their minds and leading them on a wild goose chase?:grin:

IslandWanderer
02-18-2018, 10:43 PM
And spoil the fun of messing with their minds and leading them on a wild goose chase?:grin:

Good point. I would have enjoyed doing that as well.

Squamch
02-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Everyone knows the best hunting is in the Kootenay region. That's the place you wanna be.

You don't have the right to hunt the kootneys unless you're of good pioneer stock, know at an absolute minimum, everything about everything, and have done so for at least 276 years.

I've actually tried to bring people to my spots. One guy knows where it is now, the other 2 gave up and said it was too hard to walk there. :oops:

j270wsm
02-19-2018, 09:34 PM
I don't have secret spots. Hunt the same areas as a lot of peoplebut some how I manage to find the elk first.

gunpower
02-20-2018, 10:31 AM
j270wsm , just doesn't hunt the same area at any time , he just follows his nose and finds the game . And that is how he is teaching my grandsons now !!!

62silverado
02-20-2018, 04:06 PM
There also known as Lower Mainlanders.

Bustercluck
02-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Most of the guys I work with share their hunting spots with each other. No secrets. It's probably less crowded where I hunt though.

Liptugger
02-20-2018, 10:08 PM
Nope, just a big smile every time they looked at me.

Hope you went on and on about your great successes.