PDA

View Full Version : wolverines in bc

ROEBUCK
08-19-2007, 01:16 PM
has many people seen wolverines around are they rare to see?where is a good place to maybe spot one, do they live in the forest or in the alpine areas?

BANG!
08-19-2007, 01:22 PM
has many people seen wolverines around are they rare to see?where is a good place to maybe spot one, do they live in the forest or in the alpine areas?

I saw some wolverine tracks way up high in the alpine around Lake Louise area once (10,000 feet). Ten years ago now. Haven't seen any since.

dana
08-19-2007, 01:24 PM
I've been called a liar by several people including an old time trapper, but I see an average of 4 or 5 a year. The old time trapper told me he had trapped several but had actually only seen one alive his whole life. Maybe I'm just a lucky SOB but I do spend a lot of time in the bush, more than the average Joe. The majority of my sightings have been above treeline.

Gateholio
08-19-2007, 01:28 PM
I've seen wolverines a few times. Most memorable was a few years ago, Goldbridge area.

There were some wolves in the trees, making a hell of a racket. I walked in, and the wolves took off, but they had treed a snarling, hissing wolverine. I coudln't recall if you needed a tag or if they were even open in that area, so I ddin't shoot. Wished I had a camera. That guy was PISSED OFF!!

.308win
08-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Only ever seen one, it was on a Moose carcase. Seen it in the Blue River area, will below treeline though!.....Pretty cool looking anaimals!

Perry

Will
08-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Seen Two in my lifetime.........both together actually:-P

The wife and I were going Fishing driving up the Tranquille valley/Red Lake rd.....one ran across the road in front of us, I stopped and explained to the wife it was a Wolverine.....a few secs later another came out and ran into the bush following the 1st !
Pretty Cool:cool:

quiteman
08-19-2007, 01:36 PM
seen some up in mable lake area north okanogan ...once in my life time .. . they dont like humans for some reason

Mr. Dean
08-19-2007, 02:19 PM
I've only seen them in zoo's

frenchbar
08-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Ive seen a few over the years,all have been above tree line in the Lillooet area.

dana
08-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Frenchbar,
A buddy of mine was glassin above treeline in your neck of the woods a couple years back and had one climb up behind him and jump his pack. Scared the $hit out of him. LOL! I guess a guy should keep an eye on his surroundings instead of being glued behind the glass eh? :)

frenchbar
08-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Ya no shit ,im always peeking over my shoulder.3-16 is a good area to have a chance to see them.they seem to like the craggy alpine bowls.

Seeadler
08-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Seen one up by Fort Nelson.

dana
08-19-2007, 02:36 PM
When hunting above timberline I think I'm more worried about a wolverine stealing our meat than a grizz. Wolverines have a habit of pissin over all their food. One time I found a big muley shed near a wolverine den. The shed was chewed slightly but I threw it in my pack and went on my merry way. About ten mins later I was almost passin out from a bad stench. Smelled the shed and almost puked. Hung it up in a tree and abandoned it. But the stench still followed me. I had to find a creek and wash my pack as it stunk really bad just from having that shed in it. That ol' wolverine had the last laugh with that shed.:eek:

frenchbar
08-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Seen one up 9 mile ridge in the Yalakom one day in the alpine, and man can they make tracks.he motored across that slope in no time.hey steve have ya ever heard of them trying to bury a carcass.had a budy kill a deer in the al pine late in the day .he left it over night .came back in the morning and most of it was devourerd,and the rest was partially buried with grass an dirt.he never figured out what it was .but he said it definatly wasnt a bear.

Macgregor
08-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Only ever seen one. That was in the p.g. area.

dana
08-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Yup, I've heard they do that. Isn't the root of the latin mean 'Glutton Devil' or something similiar to that.

frenchbar
08-19-2007, 02:59 PM
All i know is i would hate like hell to have one chewing on my ankles.lol

Nimrod
08-19-2007, 03:07 PM
We were on a 2 week fly in north of Cassiar, first full day heading out of base for a 3 day tour. We were glassing at the base of a Granite ridge that went up to rounded spires with yews and lambs on them and lots of Rodents down low.
The boulders were fridge to larger size ,we had the spotter up on one spotting goats. I was up above my buddy when I hear this snarling grunting sound , I look up and here comes one running towards me on the boulder tops with his lips curled back. I rocket up, get down to the packs and gun, started yelling and waving the arms , he stops 30 feet from us up on a big rock walking back and forth lips curled ,growling, back arched , cranky. then he started heading up looking back snarling.
that got the heart pumping.
The other 3 or 4 sightings were longer range glassing in the mountains, all above tree line.

ROEBUCK
08-19-2007, 03:11 PM
hear they have one of the strongest jaws in the animal kingdom, on a diferant note I read about a hunter in africa who was camping out under the stars and had his face torn off by a hyena "thats gota ruin your hunting trip"

Will
08-19-2007, 03:12 PM
But the stench still followed me. I had to find a creek and wash my pack as it stunk really bad just from having that shed in it. That ol' wolverine had the last laugh with that shed.:eek:
LMAO ! Yep the best part too is that the "Stench" most likely came from it's anal gland they use to mark thier territory.......ranks right up there with a skunk.
No washing that off;-)

30-06
08-19-2007, 03:14 PM
hunting just outside of Ft.Fraser up by chestlatta falls one guy we were with was glassing a cutblock for a friend walking it.he lopks at are friend and there was a wolverine following him

ROEBUCK
08-19-2007, 03:16 PM
yeah many of the weasel family has that stinking gland

Beverly
08-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Saw my first in east of Nazko area, 2nd between Lillooet & Carpenter Lk (Gold Bridge)....both were crossing the Rd :)

Chuck
08-19-2007, 03:59 PM
All my years trapping & hunting in the W. Kootenays, I've never seen one nor the sign or track of one. They are here though, just not wherever I was I'm certain. Higher elevation I'm thinking, like pine marten. Fisher are scarce here too!

srupp
08-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Set a friend on a large rock to watch for moose later whan I had returned he mentioned he had seen the "damndest thing" a bear with no legs...it was a wolverine I have seen two one was pretty big most iimpressive .. west in the Chilcotin ..near Anvil Mtn..

Steven

hunter1947
08-19-2007, 05:21 PM
I know a person by the name of Phil Bradshaw ,he has a registered trap line in the yauk mt area in the EK ,he gets one every other year. They usuly are in the higher elevations.

mapguy
08-19-2007, 06:03 PM
seen two up the coquihalla before it was a highway

one-shot-wonder
08-19-2007, 06:06 PM
A friend had one walk right down his driveway in the wintertime, he said it was the neatest thing, obviously the tracks in the snow where there to prove it. He lives about 0.5 hour out of Kelowna.

sealevel
08-19-2007, 06:38 PM
I was running a grader up at babine lake one winter... a wolverine was standing in the middle of the road and wouldn`t move so i winged him up and over the snowbank. ..about a mile down the road i looked behind me and he was chasing me... chased me for about 5miles snarling all the way...sure was hoping that grader didn`t break down.

Sako 300 win mag
08-19-2007, 06:40 PM
I Have A Buddy That Runs A Trap Line Up Pemberton Area He Gets 2-3 Every Year

Lorne1
08-19-2007, 07:05 PM
I have only ever seen one

Koot
08-19-2007, 07:44 PM
I have seen one on the Nancy Green summit 10 years ago.I was hoping he wasn't going to get my dog who was about 30 feet away from him and for a change came right away when cakled.
Koot

338 winmag
08-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Saw four in one day above cold fish lake on the plateau , feeding on some caribou remains ,Saw one other on the same trip hunting some cliff bluffs about 6 miles back from the lake.

Lil Buck
08-19-2007, 08:05 PM
I guided in the Yukon for 8 seasons averaged 4-6 visuals a season would get 1-2 kills a season the whole guiding outfit..

Only seen 2 in northern BC ..

:cool:

wsm
08-19-2007, 08:38 PM
seen one years ago on the road to tunkwa lake

Mauser98
08-20-2007, 09:24 AM
I've seen one.

In 1966 I was working in a drilling camp near the headwaters of the Dak River east of Alice Arm. I was walking from my bunkhouse to the drill shack on a boardwalk when I noticed a wolverine walking down the same boardwalk towards me. We both stopped and looked at each other then I turned and went back to my bunkhouse.

tuchodi
08-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I have seen 2. One I trapped up north and the other was wild on a kill.

alremkin
08-20-2007, 10:32 AM
I saw one about 20 years ago. I was on a ridge above Punch Bowl Lake just east of Snass Mountain, which is about a 6 mile hike from the parking lot at the Snass Creek pull out in West Gate Manning Park. It was acrooss a rock pile about 100 yards way my old German Shepard acted like she wanted to go after it, but I manged to convince her not to. I had my 7mm BAR with me and didn't want to shoot it. I was in an unusual color phase from what I've seen in other pictures the upper fur was almost all the lighter color. The sighting ended when we both went our separate ways...8-)

Rock Doctor
08-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I usually see 2 or 3 a year, mostly in the late fall and early winter. I do spend alot of time in the bush though, playing and working. Here is a pic of one of the better ones, pretty good size and nice markings:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Wolvarine.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/P1010014.jpg
I spend more time working in the lower elevations, and see more of them in the muskeg, than up in the alpine.

Paulyman
08-20-2007, 12:22 PM
I saw one outside of Prince george near pilot mountain, just a quick glimpse as i was coming up to the crest of a road he was going over the crest of another road.

hunter1947
08-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I usually see 2 or 3 a year, mostly in the late fall and early winter. I do spend alot of time in the bush though, playing and working. Here is a pic of one of the better ones, pretty good size and nice markings:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/Wolvarine.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/RockDocPhoto/P1010014.jpg
I spend more time working in the lower elevations, and see more of them in the muskeg, than up in the alpine. Nice pelt ,if i am correct they are going for about $600.00 dollars.

BlacktailStalker
08-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Nice Rockdoctor, you shot that one ?

Beverly
08-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Hmmm neato...so did you get that mounted or something? I can't imagine they taste very good lol!

hunter1947
08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Like Beverly said are you getting the wolverine mounted ??? ,i would love to have one mounted standing on a old twisted log ,can i do any favors for you in order to take it off your hands ??.

jackychiles
08-20-2007, 06:48 PM
I have only seen one and it was up past Mica Dam. It was noon and it ran up from under a bridge, looked at me and then ran and it was a lot faster than I would have ever thought, that thing could move.

Rock Doctor
08-20-2007, 07:40 PM
I was going to have it made into a hat, but changed my mind. I am getting it mounted. I have a piece of driftwood that used to be the root of a Willow (I think). The root grew through and around the rocks in a gravel bank, now there are rocks embedded in the root; looks pretty cool. I'm thinking I will get him done with that and maybe a white Ptarmigan.

goathead
08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
That will make A awesome mount.Iam like Wayne I would love to have one.

ROEBUCK
08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
IM JEALOUS im a collector of taxidermy and that sounds the dogs n--ts looks a great animal would like to see a picture when its mounted GOOD LUCK

Rock Doctor
08-20-2007, 07:59 PM
BlacktailStalker,
Nice Rockdoctor, you shot that one ?

Yes,

I saw another one 3 days after that one, but it was quite a bit smaller. That one was lucky, it came busting out of the weeds along the road and I almost ditched the truck trying to avoid it.

Allen50
08-21-2007, 11:05 PM
hunting trip 2006, just north of PG, my brother and i saw 2 wolverines, one ran across the road in front of us, took a few min to figger it out, first though was small bear, then watched and it did not run like that, the tracks told the story, the second was across a swamp, we were looking with bino's for moose, and saw the wolverine traveling along the edge of a swamp tree line, lookes to be hunting small animals, as it would move a long then sit there for a few min, then run along, looked to be eating something, ever once and awail,, was neet to see, first ones i ever saw while out hunting,, and i have many years of hunting under my belt too,,,

bushguy
08-22-2007, 07:23 AM
http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php/photo/538/cat/500/ppuser/433

Some neat footage.

swamper
08-22-2007, 07:57 AM
I've only ever seen one. It was just out west of Quesnel a ways.

hunter1947
08-22-2007, 08:32 AM
I saw two in one day when i was back packing in to Swanson peak back in the canal flats area. That was 37 years ago and the only time i was in there for a hunt.

Red Foreman
08-22-2007, 05:46 PM
They have one mounted in the Log Cabin inn in Spences Bridge.

daycort
08-22-2007, 06:05 PM
see 3 to 5 or so a year. LIke rockdoctor i get to spend time in the bush for work and even more to play. yes lots more in the skeg chasing marten.

longhairmtnman
08-27-2007, 07:26 AM
First time sighting last wednesday near tumbler ridge. Glassing in a swampy, muskeg area at first light and caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye. As I stood dead still, this creature came loping along about 20 m. from me and bounded down the trail in front of me. About 10 seconds later, a second one followed it, and stopped when it got to the trail. It spotted me, and began running at me! I watched it for a second and then realized it wasn't gonna stop, so I un-slung the rifle and began to lift it to aim... and the little bugger turned tail and made tracks the other way. I didn't yet realize what they were. The two were about the size of a raccoon or a little larger. The give-away in my description when I got back to camp was the gold rimmed eyes and the huge feet! Very cool encounter for me!

longwalk
08-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Afew years ago one was in port moody or in the area,it looked like it had been in a fight with another large predator, it was rehabilitated and released, but found its way back, cannot recall what happened after that.

Sasquatch
08-27-2007, 12:58 PM
I saw one up close on the Island 2 years ago. Was a real treat, just glad I got hold of my dog before he decided to investigate.

Gunner
08-28-2007, 09:47 AM
I've seen two,one in the early 60's crossing the road south of Lake Louise,and another 2 years ago,sitting in the middle of the 132 road,south of Pink Mountain. Gunner

Beverly
08-28-2007, 09:48 AM
I saw one up close on the Island 2 years ago. Was a real treat, just glad I got hold of my dog before he decided to investigate.

WOW that is a treat because they are apparently quite rare here.

http://www.wildernesscommitteevictoria.org/index.php?action=fullnews&id=191 states only 4 sightings since 1980

http://www.wildernesscommitteevictoria.org/index.php?action=fullnews&id=191 (2005 document) states the last (reported anyway) sighting of wolverine on Vancouver Island was in 1982.

I did read some where that one was reported in 1988 although I don't recall where I read that, was while I was doing some research.

Sasquatch
08-28-2007, 10:15 AM
WOW that is a treat because they are apparently quite rare here.

I've since been told by several people how rare they are on the Island.
As I had never seen one in the wild before, I thought it might have been some kind of a badger, so I checked a bunch of pics online to be sure. No doubt about it, it was definatley a wolverine. It didn't seem very disturbed by me and my dog, just took its time and waddled away.

Fisher-Dude
08-28-2007, 10:20 AM
I've seen a couple in the East Kootenays. They were ABOVE the goats!

BCKID
08-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I saw one on the beach in Ogdon Channel while seining (commercial fishing) in July 1986 or so. It was running along the beach. We got a good look at it. Ogdon Channel is outside the Skeena River near Kitkatla. BCKID