PDA

View Full Version : Elk leh 7:20 Zona A, feeling defeated out the gate

Hillerbillyvan
02-13-2018, 01:59 AM
Well I'm here, waited for February on a few pieces of advice I gathered,
packed up and drove snowy highway from hope to Dawson (a??hole puckered for most of it)
And odds aren't looking so good extremely cold and 4' of snow no sign of an elk anywhere
we drove up with private land to hunt but 1/2 of it is un accessible (road not plowed)
and the other has no sign that they have been around at all so now I'm laying awake late night in a motel trying to formulate a new plan and ranting here to whoever you are that read this

Haha thanks for lettin me vent

Remsoles
02-13-2018, 04:49 AM
Well I woke up early to go to work but the high winds and blowing snow have drifted everything in, so I guess its a day off. I'll pm you with my phone number if you want to talk, but yeah with all the snow a sled is pretty much a necessity. Or snowshoes and strong muscles! lol

Hillerbillyvan
02-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Moosin
Not sure you'll see this but your inbox is full lol

moosinaround
02-13-2018, 11:47 AM
Moosin
Not sure you'll see this but your inbox is full lol
Try again. Moosin

StuBrown
02-13-2018, 06:09 PM
Following. I am suppose to head up on Friday.

Boner
02-13-2018, 07:00 PM
I have the draw too. I’m on days off and thinking about heading up whenever. I never thought I’d have the time, but we got snowed out of work.

albravo2
02-13-2018, 07:05 PM
C'mon boys! Get 'er done! Nobody ever shot an elk in their hotel room and suckers like me are sitting in the LML wishing they had a draw up north.

Forecast for snow tonight, then it looks clear and cool starting Thursday.

Good luck!

moosinaround
02-13-2018, 07:06 PM
You get my PM hillerbilly?

f350ps
02-13-2018, 07:27 PM
Go grab the McElleny? map book at Backcountry, pricey but it could be the difference maker. It shows all the parcels of land and also has the landowners names. What it really works good for is it shows where all the crown land is. Pick some roads that you know are plowed then see what there is for crown, we found lots of places that had crown between two big ranches, that's where we finally connected. We had permission to hunt some awesome ranch property but if the animals aren't there ya gotta go find them. K

Sitkaspruce
02-13-2018, 07:32 PM
Yup, 80 k winds and fresh snow created huge snow drifts on most roads. If not an active site, it will not get plowed out for a while, if ever.

The elk have been really holed up in the thick stuff right now, this weekend is supposed to be warmer and sunny, they will start to move again once the wind dies and they can get around better. I am worried for the deer though!!! Really tough in some areas, some fields are wind swept, but huge drifts along the bush edge.

Cheers

SS

Hillerbillyvan
02-15-2018, 11:39 PM
So after tripping over dozens of moose, mules and a few whiteys this week with no sign of elk up we get this morning to make the hour drive to one of the properties we can hunt by first light, it's an isolated little corner alongside the peace river it's a 3km stretch of field a little over 1km wide surrounded by trees with with 2 stands of trees down the middle and a tiny rustic cabin at the front end; there's about 4' of snow on the fields and it's like -23c after blazing up a fire in the cabin it's starting to get light so we strap up and fight our way through the snow to the tree line in the middle of the field for a good vantage point, couple hours later we're back to the cabin after seeing nothing except howling coyotes
hanging out glassing as the fog that was surrounding the fields lifts now we can see the hills and there they are!
5 elk bedded in an opening about 300yds up a draw and 3 km across deep snow fields barely visible but definitely there so "screw it!" this is gonna hurt but it's gotta be done,
The plan, I go down the tree line where the elk can keep an eye on me as I pose no threat while my partner (the threat) head to toe in white stealthfully sneaks around the other side to come up under them
and after 3 hours of snowy misery had finally come up under them, backed out into the field to get them in his sights and......................MULE DEER!!!!��

twoSevenO
02-16-2018, 12:18 AM
I don't get it .... you trudged in snow for 3 hours .... in -23*C, only to realize the elk you were stalking weren't even elk?

That don't seem right. Or did they move out and mule walked in? :/

Moose63
02-16-2018, 07:49 AM
I don't get it .... you trudged in snow for 3 hours .... in -23*C, only to realize the elk you were stalking weren't even elk?

That don't seem right. Or did they move out and mule walked in? :/

It's the old "bait and switch trick", elk are known to do this.....:D

HappyJack
02-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Haha, rookie fail. A guy has gotta learn somehow.

Hillerbillyvan
02-16-2018, 09:17 PM
I'm still trying to figure out in my minds eye exactly what transpired
because making the decision to treck through hell to get there didn't happen lightly
they were extremely hard to see at that distance but I'm still convinced that I confirmed at least one elk they were coming and going there was 3 then 5 then 3 when we arrived that were muleys
i believe there had been 2 elk

Wild one
02-17-2018, 04:14 AM
I'm still trying to figure out in my minds eye exactly what transpired
because making the decision to treck through hell to get there didn't happen lightly
they were extremely hard to see at that distance but I'm still convinced that I confirmed at least one elk they were coming and going there was 3 then 5 then 3 when we arrived that were muleys
i believe there had been 2 elk

Tasco binos and spotting scope lol

Piperdown
02-17-2018, 07:47 AM
Easy folks don't rip the guy at least he is out there trying, good luck i hope you connect

Moose63
02-17-2018, 08:05 AM
Easy folks don't rip the guy at least he is out there trying, good luck i hope you connect

Absolutely!, I wish I was there....gotta have a little fun around the forum campfire....

digger dogger
02-17-2018, 08:15 AM

Well said:-) hopefully there's elk in the freezer.
A+,for effort.

Hillerbillyvan
02-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Well looks like it's over
my partner here is backing out of the plan early, instead of moving on to a new spot he's making me take him home
oh well it was a good ride, at least it's not like I'm going without, I woulda had to buy a new freezer anyway lol
i have plenty to last as we were able to fill my brothers elk tag in sept and I have plenty of leftover moose and venison I can stretch till next season,
thanks for chiming in guys!

bigredchev
02-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Sometimes it's not in the catds...

People go out all the time in acceptable weather and cone home with tag soup so don't feel too discouraged.

Stone C. Killer
02-17-2018, 11:38 AM
elk shmelk

todbartell
02-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Elk hunting in the winter doesn't sound like fun. I'll chase bugles in September :mrgreen: sandwich doesn't even freeze

HappyJack
02-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Hunting in the snow is always fun, and no mosquito's to deal with either.

Wild one
02-17-2018, 09:04 PM

Have too agree

was taking a shot at tasco more then him

Piperdown
02-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Well sorry to hear you didn't connect but you learn something from every hunt, hope the next one you will post pictures of your success, good luck to you, Wildone my comment wasn't directed at you :)

Hillerbillyvan
02-18-2018, 03:19 PM
At least got to see a nice herd of 25+ elk on the drive home they were on the side of the highway at like 60 yrds
roads were shit and plagued with problems but made it in one piece
never expected the bad winter weather to be on the south end lol

Norwestalta
02-20-2018, 08:07 AM
Good effort hiller. No shortage of snow this year makes for a well earned elk. Usually a guy stands a pretty good chance with the late season. We had a tag and the elk were 200 yds from my kitchen window but -32 for the couple of days that they were in my field made me think Costco meat isn’t to terribly bad.

Bubbacanuck
09-23-2018, 06:07 PM
I am going to try for the LEH in 7-20 for anterless and either sex for next season 2019/2020. Any information regarding private land contacts would be great. Overall, I’m looking for any relevant information or advice. Best time to hunt between Dec and Feb. Any essential equipment. Since snow will likely be on the ground I will need to change out the camo gear for white gear I assume. I don’t mind going with snow shoes, but is a snowmobile essential? Thank you I’m advance!

butthead
09-23-2018, 06:46 PM
a couple of hookers and some beer sounds good to me

Bubbacanuck
09-23-2018, 07:18 PM
Haha butthead! Name seems to suit you well lol

butthead
09-24-2018, 07:47 PM
Haha butthead! Name seems to suit you well lol

thanks that it does

callnmin
12-12-2020, 08:59 AM
I'm heading up for cow elk soon, first time on the elk. region 7-21. Buying tracks to put on my quad today for ice fishing and hunting elk. Thanks for the good advice, your feedback is appreciated.

callnmin
12-12-2020, 12:56 PM
What time of year was it when you connected? February?

jamfarm
12-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Ask Kyle Klassen, he knows...