PDA

View Full Version : What kind of hunter are you?

dino
02-12-2018, 07:43 AM
I was wondering what kind style of hunting do you enjoy most. No judging here.

I enjoy a good road hunt exploring with my boys, having some food every now and then in cool spots maybe some target shooting, a small camp fire ,a little bit of 4x4 action and if we're lucky maybe see an animal or two to get the juices flowing.
Don't get me wrong , I still climb mountains but I do enjoy a good old road hunt the best.

Weatherby Fan
02-12-2018, 08:17 AM
Most of my Mule deer hunting is day hunts, drive to a spot park and walk a few Kilometres in and out, I like to do lots of glassing from certain spots I know are productive
I can spend the night in the same area as its big enough to do so, if there's a few guys around I just walk farther......but mainly hunt week days so that eliminates a lot of people.

In the Kootenays we do drive and glass a lot for elk mixed with some early morning hikes well before light into certain feeding areas.

When the kids were little we would do a little more driving but since my older brother and I had kids the same age we would still go to our same Mule deer spots but I would look after the kids this morning while he went hunting on his own and then switch in the afternoon.......but most times it was more of a camping hiking trip than hunting.......always fun to pull over make a hot lunch while the little monsters got into some sort of trouble !

IslandWanderer
02-12-2018, 08:30 AM
My son and I drive logging roads slowly with frequent stops to glass. We do numerous 15-20 minute walks throughout the day. I like to discuss the map with my son so he has an idea about where we are. Also, we play a game where we call out bear poops when we see them first. Lol, sometimes my son pokes them with a stick and then he tells me how fresh it is.

We always have the same things: large supply of various chewing gum, lots of sandwiches, pepperoni and cheese, low sodium v8 and cranberry juice, chocolate bars.

Salix
02-12-2018, 08:34 AM
My early days of hunting there was lots of driving roads, spending time with dad or buddies. Also the odd hunt where we would set up in a farm field and wait until dark for deer or elk to come out.
Over the past 9-10 years I’ve got more into back pack hunting with some good friends. We do a riverboat trip each fall. Set up a nice camp and lots of hiking off the river. It’s also lead to a couple of goat hunts as well now that I have more gear. Being in the mountains looking for goats is amazing. I haven’t got one yet, but will be trying again this year.
I still enjoy getting out for the odd road hunt looking for moose or grouse. Now it’s with my family and often includes getting a load of firewood for the upcoming winter.

nature girl
02-12-2018, 08:36 AM
Drive around find a spot may go for a short walk.
I am not really into sitting in a spot for to long as I get uncomfortable pretty fast.
Usually just walk for about 10 mins sit for about 5 to 20 mins then do it again.
Rode hunting in some areas we do other areas we get out and walk.
I don't really like to walk up steep hills to much anymore no I am not kidding myself never liked steep hills.
I don't mind rolling hill country.
If its flat terrain then that is the best for me.
I just enjoy the scenery the best if I see a animal and get the chance at shooting a animal then that is just a added bonus to my trip.
Its more about relaxing for me. I would say I definitely am not a serious hunter. If I don't get a animal I do not get upset at all.
Last year I just shot a grouse and I was happy with that.
Saw some great country and had some good memories. Went to the most beautiful lake and camped there overnight woke up in the middle of the night went outside and the lake had mist over the lake now that was so relaxing and awesome to me.
Usually with hunting we just wing it sometimes we make plans to go for a long walk in a certain area we get there and to windy or to foggy so you just wing it and change plans.
That is why I like hunting with my boyfriend we just do what we want and when we want.

Wild one
02-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Calling in thick timber is hard to beat. You notice every little sound or flash of movement because you know your making noise that will draw them in. Waiting to see if they sneak in like a ghost or come in crashing ready to go

Secound choice would be long range spot and stalk

SR80
02-12-2018, 09:12 AM
For me, i love packing in for 2-3 days and camping out. Favorite spots are above the treeline.

fuzzybiscuit
02-12-2018, 09:13 AM
We sound a lot alike Dino.

I like it all but for me creeping along in some steep old-growth fir country looking for a decent Blacktail buck on a stormy day is where it’s at.

Ironically, it’s a long ways from where I’m at these days...

hunter1947
02-12-2018, 09:20 AM
Solo timber hunting is one of my favorites..

dino
02-12-2018, 09:42 AM
We sound a lot alike Dino.

I like it all but for me creeping along in some steep old-growth fir country looking for a decent Blacktail buck on a stormy day is where it’s at.

Ironically, it’s a long ways from where I’m at these days...

I have done a lot of that style of hunting. I remember hunting Blacktail on the island for years. Hunting timber in the Pouring rain and using an sks with open sights............ I don't miss that style at all.lol

Fella
02-12-2018, 09:52 AM
On the island it’s get out and still hunt the timber. On the mainland I like creeping along ridges, glassing etc. When it comes to spring bear hunting my favorite way to hunt is lean up against a log or stump in the sun and glass/nap.

snipersights
02-12-2018, 10:07 AM
I love calling black bears in clear cuts. Sit on the edge with a rabbit distress call and pull them in. I also like to quad from cut to cut and hike in. Then I usually sit on the outskirts of the cut and glass for a while

Squamch
02-12-2018, 10:58 AM
I drive farther in than most guys will quad, then hike past that. 4x4ing is a major part of hunting for me, and hunting has always been a big part of wheeling. A day where I push the truck, then push my legs is a good day in my opinion.

Big Lew
02-12-2018, 11:34 AM
I love hiking up into the sub alpine for mulies. Most of my earlier years hunting
was a combination of hiking along canyons, ridges, logging slashes, and very
slowly road hunting. Now because of my age and health situation, and especially
since my wife accompanies me, most of my deer hunting is either road hunting,
or checking out small slashes close to road access.

SpottedPony
02-12-2018, 11:43 AM
There’s nothing that tops cruising down an old logging road, silently on a mountain bike and getting a shot at the odd grouse out soaking up the late afternoon sun.

HarryToolips
02-12-2018, 11:43 AM
Hike in hunting for me is always my favourite and most productive....I like to road hunt once in a while when I'm tired from hiking but that's about it..I like to hike into clear cuts and glass the most, usually go a ways off the road..

Bugle M In
02-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Really enjoyed backpacking into sub alpine for mulies when I was younger, and still wish I could.
For the most part, I do day hikes, all day with a packed lunch, gone before sunrise, back after sunset nowdays,
for elk and deer.
Wish I had a quad, ad I would like to get into some areas where I then could get out and day hunt as above.
Driving is alright, but I still prefer to hit the forests over the cutblocks.
I don't waste much time in open blocks just waiting all day, like I did whine I was younger, and then one day an ex-father in law told me to "get in there and hunt them"!
Made all the difference in the world.

allan
02-12-2018, 12:30 PM
https://youtu.be/M9gFRXw5-kI
this about sums it up I think

Bustercluck
02-12-2018, 02:05 PM
I'm a fan of setting up camp for a week or longer. Calling moose in the morning, exploring on the quad or hiking for the rest of the day. Definitely having a fire for lunch or cooking up some sausages and eggs on the trail. Spend the whole day away from camp and come back after dark and have a good feast. I put quite a bit of effort into planning my meals for hunting trips so it isn't too much work while I'm out there.

plumberjustin
02-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Still hunting thick stands of old timber, rattling and calling late season rut.

Phila
02-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Favorite is finding locations where whitetails feed and ambushing them when they come in to the fields before sundown - most challenging.

Calling moose - you make a connection with the animal - intriguing

Tracking big game through a fresh snowfall - you can feel it in your blood.

Shikari300WSM
02-12-2018, 06:44 PM
I love glassing and then hauling ass. And sneaking in to an animal. However it's nice to roadhunt to cover ground and find out where animals are hanging - then bunker down and do the evening sit where you are seeing activity.

Jelvis
02-12-2018, 07:03 PM
---- I hunt road hunting more now, I got two rich buddy's that don't mind driving me around. Clearcuts and back roads I know from years of hunting so we see deer.
I don't hunt by myself anymore, and most everyone road hunts now so I don't expect some person never been in the bush hunting to to do it right away without getting really mixed up.
---- So my buds want to go I'll ride shoot gun. This area is part of the Bonaparte mule deer migration, the rut and snow depth starts in October up high.
Jel -- I hunt reg 3 Kamloops for mules and mooses -- from Kammy to Barriere either side of the North Thompson is good mules and fair moose.

mpotzold
02-12-2018, 07:25 PM
Been hunting since '65 in BC so by now we have our favourite areas all mapped out depending if we hunt moose or deer.

Been hunting with the same partner LT (LOVER 308 ) since '67.

We use the vehicles to look for the most promising spots then resort to foot power.

In heavy cover we use orange flagging.

Personally I can't sit still & have never called a game animal.

When hunting with Eve we use radios & one of us always has a sat phone & a SPOT.
Our road hunting entails scouting for new areas & looking for fresh animal movements.

Foxton Gundogs
02-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Given my druthers, Horseback with a pack horse or 2. AWESOME

walks with deer
02-12-2018, 07:58 PM
opurtunistic..
i hunt for best odds.

weather thats sitting on the edge of a game reserve..driving to cover ground..sitting in a blind or sleeping in my tent...it all can work

Big Lew
02-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Given my druthers, Horseback with a pack horse or 2. AWESOME

That goes without saying! I've used a horse a few times and agree it's the ultimate way to go,
especially if the horse is trained for it. Just too expensive and time consuming to keep and train
horses in the Fraser Valley. Unlike when I was young when there was little traffic and the road
shoulders were graveled which made for great horse riding, and endurance conditioning, it's just
not safe or good for horse and rider now. Few things about people riding along roadways get me
more angry then seeing someone galloping their horse on concrete or asphalt surfaces.

375shooter
02-12-2018, 08:48 PM
I like road hunting, but only for black bear, and only in the spring. In the past, did quite a bit of stillhunting for moose, and lots of stand hunting for deer on deer trails with some stillhunting or tracking mixed in, whenever conditions were right. More recently, it's hitting the thick bush for elk with a bugle and a few reed calls.

My absolute favorite though, is alpine hunting in remote locations for elk, moose, caribou, sheep or goats. Haven't had a chance to do much of it so far. The ultimate would be to go in with a string of well-trained horses. I have three good ones right now, so it's just a matter of time.

HappyJack
02-12-2018, 08:51 PM
I like to go on extended trips, setting up a comfortable camp and hunting. Usually ride the atv to an area and then hunt on foot. In some instances I use my ladder stand [mule deer] or my Viper climber. There is nothing like the sun rising on an elk hunt as you slip into an area you know they like to settle in for the night. My last bull elk was taken at 30 feet.

twoSevenO
02-12-2018, 08:59 PM
I'm an aspiring hunter :)

Downwindtracker2
02-12-2018, 09:07 PM
What kind of hunter am I ? A lousy one. Oh, that's not the question. I use to really love still hunting. Still do ,but with a bum knee, I'm lucky I can still walk, it doesn't happen any more. More often I park the quad in an inconspicuous place , put my feet up and lean back and try not to go to sleep.

HarryToolips
02-12-2018, 09:20 PM
I love calling black bears in clear cuts. Sit on the edge with a rabbit distress call and pull them in. I also like to quad from cut to cut and hike in. Then I usually sit on the outskirts of the cut and glass for a while
I still haven't had luck with a distress call for black bears yet in the spring, is that when you've had your success?? I have heard that due to their lack of energy after hibernation, that they don't come in near as well as during the fall, don't know 100% if that's true or not..

brian
02-12-2018, 09:26 PM
My favorite way to hunt these days is to find a nice little ambush spot, a sit quietly for a few hours until the sun goes down.

Wild one
02-12-2018, 09:28 PM
I still haven't had luck with a distress call for black bears yet in the spring, is that when you've had your success?? I have heard that due to their lack of energy after hibernation, that they don't come in near as well as during the fall, don't know 100% if that's true or not..

Works best during mid to late spring when they target fawns. Even better if you know areas does stay with young fawns

Works spring and fall but depends on the bear some are less predatory and some actually run away

SSG-man
02-12-2018, 09:36 PM
A locked out hunter.

CoreShackJack
02-12-2018, 11:04 PM
I love it all! There's something to be said about hanging out warm and cozy with a friend or two, coffee in hand, slowly scanning the cutblocks out of the warmth of the truck. However, I also love putting boots to ground. Maybe hiking 5 - 15km in a day. I especially like walking through old timber on Vancouver Island. It's amazing how much darker it can get under the tree cover and how quiet it can be...and what you end up finding! Maybe a shedded antler...or a pile of old and bleached bones. Maybe it's sitting in your spot and the sky begins to open up with a torrential downpour, if you have adequate cover or the right gear it is actually kind of fun.

Bugle M In
02-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Should of added....when it hits close to (minus 15 or below), that's when the boots stop.....truck only these days:lol:

J_T
02-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Well, I think defining 'what type of hunter' I am goes some distance beyond how I like to hunt.
Respectful - If I come upon another hunting group, I like to talk to them, find out what their plans are, give them first option, and then go some where else for myself, knowing I won't be in their way.
Contributing - I've always felt a need to give back, raising money for wildlife, sitting on committees, carrying out burns, thinning and counts
Lifestyle - hunting is not a sport, it's a way of life. I enjoy watching, following and documenting animals all year. That's why, when I say ungulate numbers are at all time lows in the EK I am incredibly frustrated by some who may question that.
Flexible - Each animal pursued requires a different approach. Bears (spot and stalk), Turkeys (set up in a logical location and call), Mule Deer (hike, spot and stalk), Goats (Spot and Stalk), Elk (run call & chase and tree stand), Whitetailed deer (tree stand feeding bedding scenario)
Up close pursuit - Archery tackle only
Prepared - I hunt with sufficient gear to address any situation which might arise.
Inclusive - I enjoy taking new hunters out, and ensuring they get a great wild experience and do it frequently
Share the Bounty - As I harvest, all my neighbours and family recieve meat. I also gift meat to many of my wife's friends and anyone that might come over to assist with a home renovation project

Comerade
02-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Horseback as far as I can go, then the shanks pony up the mountain.

Jelvis
02-16-2018, 04:23 PM
-- I don't like shooting doe deer that are mothers already and have fawns. Dry ones fine, yearling one-
---------> I won't shoot a cow moose either, like to leave the cows, spike fork only. I won't shoot a big bull moose I let them breed.
Jel -- just my way in kammy -- I take the liver out and home too --

Tuffcity
02-19-2018, 05:27 PM
high country addict...

RC

Jelvis
02-24-2018, 08:28 PM
-- I am a lover of the still hunt, mule deer fanatic -- from youth up with the best mule deer hunters up the North Thompson way from kammy to Lil Fort.
I was taught by the best still hunter of mule deer up Barriere way decades ago and know certain area pretty good.
-- Still hunter doesn't sit still, he creeps around the ridges and ponds, slowly and quietly as possible into the wind.
Jel Still hunting is something that takes time and effort and you need to be in good physical condition you need all day and you need to move all day and be in shape

mike_69
02-24-2018, 09:14 PM
Not sure what kind of hunter I am anymore, this year will be the year to re find myself and start a new hunting chapter.
After many great years and a lot of fun with my hunting partner, my dad, cancer took him way too early.
The thought of getting out there just doesn't feel the same, but I refuse to give up.

Jelvis
02-24-2018, 09:19 PM
Hey Mike, sorry to hear about your loss. You have to carry on like yer saying, the memories will stay. I like your zeal, I refuse to give up.
Jel -- refuse to give up Mike I like your zeal -- it's cool

floden
02-24-2018, 10:02 PM
Hey mike 69- sorry man. My style of hunting is about the same thing--- spending as much time with Dad as I can. He's going strong at 80- in the truck road hunting! I used to hate it cause I see a mountain and I still want to climb it . I'm 50

But that's not the point of hunting for me. Don't get me wrong I'm out to get our animal, but really I'm out to enjoy time and have an adventure.

my son is 9 now and has started to come with us on short trips- so I'm a lot like Island Wanderer. Drive drive drive the take short walks in and out.

2 years ago we went into Tuchodi for 10 days.... Lots of game on the drive to the launch , but 2 hours in @ Deaddog We saw a total of 1 rabbit.... And it was still the best trip we ever had. Me, dad, my brother and my brother in law... Can't get better.

tko
02-26-2018, 06:05 PM
imo everyone needs to get 2 B.B. tags and fill em jus for the anti hunters.

Wild one
02-26-2018, 06:25 PM

Why dictate your hunt because of antis? Really they won’t even realize you filled two bear tags

Want results stand up and speak against their actions in a manner people will respect your stance and educate the non hunting public. Disspell the myths antis use with facts and honesty about how hunters conduct them selves along with the reason we hunt

Sure I will be out hunting black bear and recommend it to anyone because I enjoy it. As for the number of tags one fills that is their personal choice if it’s 0 or 2. No lack of black bears so nothing with tagging out if a hunter chooses

Want to stick it to antis you can do it year round. Antis gain power by being loud engaging the public anyway possible. You want to hurt them engage the public and represent hunters in a positive manner beating antis at their own game

Support standing against antis but pick your battles

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-01-2018, 02:53 PM
i like to do alot of preseason scouting. And then sitting and waiting in areas that look promising

MichelD
03-01-2018, 03:23 PM

I think there is a real exaggeration on these pages of the numbers and influence of "anti-hunters."

For the most part the public is ambivalent to hunting unless something negative comes up like some dildo shooting a lady's dog.

And besides how would any anti-hunters even know you bought the tags or shot a bear?

MichelD
03-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Hunting style?

I like to drive to the very end of the road as far as there is a road to take me, park, camp and hike into the timber and hopefully into the alpine from there.

I won't turn down an animal spotted from the vehicle though.

But I do all kinds of hunting. Last fall I looked for whitetails in an area I'd never been to before east of Vernon and just drove on a back road until I saw lots of tracks in the snow then walked down old logging roads checking out the cutblocks and adjacent forested areas. Found a permanent elevated blind with bait piles too, so I must have stumbled onto a decent spot.

VFX_man
03-01-2018, 07:05 PM
So a couple of questions:

1) Road Hunting -- I've done a fair amount of this, but generally have not had time to get out, load up and take a shot before they bust into the roadside brush. So how do you manage it?

2) Blind hunting -- My looking at my trail cameras, it seems most of the critters are not moving at the crack of dawn, but around 9am-1pm. So when do you get into your blind and how long do you stay in it?

3) Slow walking -- What pattern do you walk? I tend to try and stay inside of the tree lines and take a few slow steps then look around.

Cheers, VFX

slowjo
03-01-2018, 10:14 PM
i like to hike in. go past where most people go. move slow through the bush. read the sign. sit and glass. make a stalk. call and listen. sit on a vantage point. find the sign. set up an ambush.
it all doesn’t really work for me. but it’s fun as hell.

dino
03-01-2018, 10:56 PM
My first post i stated that road hunting with my boys was the most enjoyable but when I want some meat my style is backpacking up top and pushing the sub alpine timber.
Walking on the top of a ridge or mountain with a rifle over my shoulder is just pure freedom to me.
Nothing to think about and thinking about nothing.

shortrange
03-02-2018, 12:13 AM
For BB I usually stay close to the truck because most bears are too heavy to drag far. When I go for deer I look for areas without a lot of hunters driving around and start looking for game trails and sign. I learned early on that my feet can go places your Ford can't. As for blinds, stands, and the like, I can't stay awake....

sawmill
03-03-2018, 03:55 PM
I`m getting old enough that the back packing in and out thing is over. I do have spots where I know the deer are going to be..old logging leases, crossings, like that. I just cruise out and sit for a while. Hunting the same place for 20 years has it`s advantages. 2 deer every year, like clockwork. Main thing is get the hell out of bed. I don`t hunt with some guys anymore because I have to wake them up, bring them coffee and wait till they finish their daily dump. By then it`s been full daylight for an hour. No point then. I hunt alone 99.9% of the time. I never get skunked. Ever. Out of the 3 guys I would hunt with last year none of them could get up and go. I got a big dry doe and 2 days later, a beauty 4x5 buck. Buddies ate tags.

Walksalot
03-03-2018, 05:00 PM
I`m getting old enough that the back packing in and out thing is over.

At 66, going to be 67 this year, I had the same opinion until I shared my opinion with my doctor. He told me that if I wanted to hunt the back country and be in the position I may have to pack something out of the bush to keep myself in good shape. I may not be able to carry out the same load I did in my forties but, as he told me, it won't take long to ascertain how much I can carry on my back now. Very seldom do I hunt with another person and always carry enough to quarter and pack out an animal.

HarryToolips
03-03-2018, 10:58 PM
For BB I usually stay close to the truck because most bears are too heavy to drag far. When I go for deer I look for areas without a lot of hunters driving around and start looking for game trails and sign. I learned early on that my feet can go places your Ford can't. As for blinds, stands, and the like, I can't stay awake....
Why drag? Cut off the meat and other necessary portions, and carry out...not like there's much meat on a bear other than on the 4 quarters and back straps...

BStrachan
03-05-2018, 03:38 AM
My hunting partner and I do mostly road hunting. With that being said I also enjoy parking the truck and going for a walk up the mountain in the bush. I really have a hard time sitting in one spot for a long time. I keep thinking while I am sitting there waiting for my dream buck..which is any buck at this point..lol...I could be missing a buck walking down the road while I sit here freezing my butt off!
I really enjoy driving around eating snacks chatting and hoping to see an animal.
This year I think I am going to try sitting in a blind while by hunting partner drives around. You never know until you try!
One of my favorite parts about hunting is sitting around the fire drinking a cold Luckey talking about the day you just had.

simonvancouver
03-05-2018, 10:28 PM
As a Newbie to hunting, i have road hunted a bit and also hiked a bit, but neither with great success. Mostly this depends who I hunt with, as i haven't gone on my own yet.

Now i have enjoyed a few afternoons of glassing from a ridge etc after hiking away from the road. For me just being outside is a good start, slowly building up my real world hunting knowledge, but i guess as I am still younger the hike still appeals to me, When I shoot my first deer etc the hike back to the truck might not appeal so much but that is a good problem to have.

Redthies
03-05-2018, 10:34 PM
I have always taken my rifle for long walks in the woods. I don’t like to walk much, but for some reason I seem to enjoy it a hell of a lot more when I’m carrying a loaded 7mm some time between sept 10 and dec 15.

I do road hunt for grouse on my on my way to and from work though.