PDA

View Full Version : Late Bison season

white moose
02-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Was wondering if any members did the january draws and how was the hunt? Thanks

JustinG
02-15-2018, 08:32 PM
We went for 2 weeks and came home empty... will never enter that draw again. Had MUCH better luck in the late October draw a few years ago.

Bou2006
02-15-2018, 08:44 PM
Was also wondering how Bison hunters made out this year. JustinG which zone were you in and when did you go? early or late January?

JustinG
02-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Late January, zone A.

264mag
02-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Where did you stay?
Did you use snowmobiles?
Others have claimed this to be the best season if you have the right equipment.

Mtn Wonderer
02-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Stayed at pink mountain Ranch worth every penny!!! for success!!

We were there Dec 21st to Dec 29th, saw bison every other day, shared hunt. Harvested two.

Snowmoblies, cold as hell. all sightings were well off the valley floor. Both bison were shot in areas up high.

They are there!! Just not in the valley bottoms, look at the south facing slopes and you will find them!!

JustinG
02-22-2018, 08:11 PM
Stayed at the ranch and at horse camp.
Used snowmobiles (and quad occasionally - not much snow at the beginning of the hunt)
Spent a solid 10 days. Saw lots of elk on the south facing slopes and moose on the north facing.
Spent quite a bit of time in the area west of Horse Camp.
I guess after being shot at for almost 4 months they were pretty spooked.

REMINGTON JIM
02-22-2018, 08:19 PM
Justin DID you see any Bison at all ? RJ

JustinG
02-22-2018, 09:32 PM
No.
Talked to a bush pilot who saw a heard up one of the northern connecting valleys. After checking out the maps and attempting access by ground we quickly realized there was no way with out a helicopter to get to them.
The hunt two weeks before us apparently was pretty tough as well. One taken for sure (we saw the gut pile and hoofs - looked like it was a calf).
The guy we rented snow machines from in Kamloops rented to a group that did the hunt before us and they got skunked too.
Costs $10k to do that hunt right - we are going to try for something earlier this season.

REMINGTON JIM
02-22-2018, 09:39 PM
Sorry to here that ! Very Expensive trip with out harvesting a Bison - Better LUCK next time Pal ! ;-) RJ

Thunderstix
02-22-2018, 10:31 PM
$10,000....holy crap!!

Piperdown
02-23-2018, 07:32 AM
$10,000....holy crap!!

It was very cold so the whiskey bill was a little on the high side :lol:. Too bad you didn't connect but i am sure you learnt a lot, good luck next time.

sarg
02-23-2018, 01:33 PM
We went for 2 weeks and came home empty... will never enter that draw again. Had MUCH better luck in the late October draw a few years ago.

My wife and I had the oct 15-31 draw last year, we hunted hard with zero luck.

sawmill
02-24-2018, 04:50 AM
$10,000....holy crap!!
I have a friend in Dawson Creek who will sell you one for a third of that price. You can even shoot it, make up a good story. And you can "camp" at the George Dawson Inn.

EvanG
02-24-2018, 08:03 AM
No need to spend $10000 when you can buy a fully guided hunt in zone B for much less

JustinG
03-15-2018, 09:20 PM
We paid $5.3k for 4 sleds, trailer and 6ft toboggans for 2 weeks (good deal). $2.3k in fuel (coming from the lower mainland and for sleds on hunting grounds). $1.8k for accommodation. $600 for trespass fee. $600 in food. Plus what ever each guy needed misc on their own. Adds up quick for that winter hunt. We can cut that in half if for an October hunt.

srupp
03-15-2018, 09:32 PM
Thank you for your honesty in prices.do you have any in the field photos? Still only LEH species hunt I havnt accomplished..but those prices are high..spread accross 4 guys. .similar to a 100 mile fly in moose hunt with 4 guys..
Thank you.
Steven

barry1974w
03-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Stayed at the ranch and at horse camp.
Used snowmobiles (and quad occasionally - not much snow at the beginning of the hunt)
Spent a solid 10 days. Saw lots of elk on the south facing slopes and moose on the north facing.
Spent quite a bit of time in the area west of Horse Camp.
I guess after being shot at for almost 4 months they were pretty spooked.

we were there for the last part of October, hunting was tough. Of the five or so groups hunting the valley I think we were the only group to even see bison.

604redneck
03-16-2018, 12:10 PM
If you do the late one again buy used sleds in the summer as soon as you get the draw and sell it all after. You won't lose as much as it costs to rent. Sorry to hear about the luck. Atleast the memories are there

tomahawk
03-16-2018, 03:25 PM
We paid $5.3k for 4 sleds, trailer and 6ft toboggans for 2 weeks (good deal). $2.3k in fuel (coming from the lower mainland and for sleds on hunting grounds). $1.8k for accommodation. $600 for trespass fee. $600 in food. Plus what ever each guy needed misc on their own. Adds up quick for that winter hunt. We can cut that in half if for an October hunt.

Been there on 5 bull bison hunts. Harvested four 3 to 5 yr old bulls, great eating meat. We start on Vancouver Island and its exactly 1500 KM to where we camp. We bring 2 quads and 2 sleds normally so we cover all conditions but if theres lots of snow one year we brought 3 sleds. We have a wall tent and wood stove, we drive to camp in area B in the p/up and from there use the appropriate machines. Pack all gas and food and whatever we need for comforts with us. Most expensive of the 5 trips that ranged from 4 days to 11 days was $2300 total ........... food, restaurant meals, gas propane, tags, diesel fuel, you name it, fully self contained. Last trip was a while back and resulted in this HBC story :

www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75920-So-Proud-Sons-1st-Bull-Bison-video-amp-pic-heavy&highlight=bull+bison (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75920-So-Proud-Sons-1st-Bull-Bison-video-amp-pic-heavy&highlight=bull+bison)

We don't go anymore though my grandson is 13 and got a bull moose at 11 and if he wants a bison we might just put in again. So cost wise it depends on what equip you have and the knowledge of the Bison and the area as to where they'll be and where they go when the goin gets tough.

JustinG
03-20-2018, 07:46 PM
Wow...good on you if you can do that trip for that price. We've done it 3x in the last 5 years and each time the fuel alone for two trucks was roughly $750 per truck return (2012 F350 diesel + 2007 Chev half ton Silverado).

tomahawk
03-21-2018, 12:08 PM
Wow...good on you if you can do that trip for that price. We've done it 3x in the last 5 years and each time the fuel alone for two trucks was roughly $750 per truck return (2012 F350 diesel + 2007 Chev half ton Silverado).

One truck with a good deck for snowmobiles and a tandem axle trailer for the quads and gear and a quad cab diesel.

MOOSE MILK
03-22-2018, 12:20 AM
3 times in the last 5 years..? how do you manage that? I have been putting in since the conception of the bison hunt and never been successful.

JustinG
03-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Yep. Just lucky I guess. My father in law got the first one on his own the first go (Oct 16-31) 5 yrs ago, my group got the next 2 yrs later (Oct 1-15) and my group got Jan 16-31 last season.

264mag
03-31-2018, 03:17 PM
I have been wanting to put in for this hunt for years. None of my hunting partners have any interest in it. I have 2 bearcat sleds, quads, all the gear you would need. Don't think I would want to tackle it alone.

Muledeercrazy2
03-31-2018, 03:36 PM
Been there on 5 bull bison hunts. Harvested four 3 to 5 yr old bulls, great eating meat. We start on Vancouver Island and its exactly 1500 KM to where we camp. We bring 2 quads and 2 sleds normally so we cover all conditions but if theres lots of snow one year we brought 3 sleds. We have a wall tent and wood stove, we drive to camp in area B in the p/up and from there use the appropriate machines. Pack all gas and food and whatever we need for comforts with us. Most expensive of the 5 trips that ranged from 4 days to 11 days was $2300 total ........... food, restaurant meals, gas propane, tags, diesel fuel, you name it, fully self contained. Last trip was a while back and resulted in this HBC story :

www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75920-So-Proud-Sons-1st-Bull-Bison-video-amp-pic-heavy&highlight=bull+bison (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75920-So-Proud-Sons-1st-Bull-Bison-video-amp-pic-heavy&highlight=bull+bison)

We don't go anymore though my grandson is 13 and got a bull moose at 11 and if he wants a bison we might just put in again. So cost wise it depends on what equip you have and the knowledge of the Bison and the area as to where they'll be and where they go when the goin gets tough.

Tomahawk,

You said you brought 2 quads and 3 sleds?
2x quads @ 10k each
3xsleds @ 10k each

Pretty easy toadd 5k per year to your costs

LYKTOHUNT
03-31-2018, 03:55 PM
It was very cold so the whiskey bill was a little on the high side :lol:. Too bad you didn't connect but i am sure you learnt a lot, good luck next time.
I've seen that same problem when it's real hot as well, some sort of weird phenomenon i guess:lol: