01-31-2018, 06:57 PM
Holy smokes, thats amazing!!

monasheemountainman
01-31-2018, 08:06 PM
Are these jasper bulls Dana?

dana
01-31-2018, 09:40 PM
Are these jasper bulls Dana?

Yes, this one is. He is one of only 318 elk that currently reside in the Park. Up from the 317 during the last count in 2013. Parks Canada says this is currently stable and more reasonable from the artificial highs that saw thousands in the past. Hmmm, 5 years and zero growth? Hmmm, elk hanging out on the highways and in town to avoid predation? Hmmm, beautiful big burns with barely an elk in them? Hmmm, what made the numbers of the Park 'artificial' in the Past. What does 'artificial' even mean? Hmmm, i thought HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT was all that was needed to grow animals? Hmmm, is anyone seeing the BIG PICTURE??? We are sitting back and watching the destruction of our wildlife and we are OK with that?

horshur
01-31-2018, 09:47 PM
Yes, this one is. He is one of only 318 elk that currently reside in the Park. Up from the 317 during the last count in 2013. Parks Canada says this is currently stable and more reasonable from the artificial highs that saw thousands in the past. Hmmm, 5 years and zero growth? Hmmm, elk hanging out on the highways and in town to avoid predation? Hmmm, beautiful big burns with barely an elk in them? Hmmm, what made the numbers of the Park 'artificial' in the Past. What does 'artificial' even mean? Hmmm, i thought HABITAT HABITAT HABITAT was all that was needed to grow animals? Hmmm, is anyone seeing the BIG PICTURE??? We are sitting back and watching the destruction of our wildlife and we are OK with that?
#managingtozero #complemenatary #compasionatewildlifemanagement #BChuntersfuture

walks with deer
01-31-2018, 09:59 PM
wow dana thanks for sharing the stats...
hmm interesting comments on the herd sizes...thats quite the stat...

dana
01-31-2018, 10:31 PM
wow dana thanks for sharing the stats...
hmm interesting comments on the herd sizes...thats quite the stat...

This is why I am not getting on board with this whole funding plan that is being talked about. All it will do is give some people more money in their pockets to have more meetings and more studies meanwhile the Antis are paid out of the same coffers to bring about Compasionate Wildlife Management and take away our hunting heritage! Jasper has a $hitton of excellant habitat and the wildlife has crashed. Why? Because what was 'artifical' in the past was actually predator management. Now, they would rather have the wolves and watch the rest of the wildlife disappear completely. We are watching the destruction of our Canadian Iconic Wildlife.

walks with deer
01-31-2018, 10:36 PM
seems predator managment is whats needed most and comes up against the most resistance.

dana
01-31-2018, 10:48 PM
seems predator managment is whats needed most and comes up against the most resistance.

Exactly!!! It is what I have constantly been saying on HBC since I came back. Habitat without predator control is meaningless. Those that resist predator control are just showing their true colours. They are siding with the Antis. They think just being quiet and avoiding posting pictures, avoiding killing predators, avoiding making a stir that might offend the snowflakes is the way to go. And that check that they get to talk about the issues is better than hunting anyways right? The Compassionate Wildlife Model is actually going to ushered in by 'hunters'. Time that real hunters stand up and get mad and fight!

HarryToolips
01-31-2018, 10:56 PM
Beauty bull once again Dana.....I could be totally wrong here, as I don't know much about that particular herd, but if numbers were artificially high at one point, those numbers would've hit that high due to the quality habitat that was created, by either burns, maybe slides? Logging?? Then with that high numbers of prey, came high numbers of preds, then with high numbers of preds, were seeing what we're seeing in many parts of our own province the predator pit that has caused a rapid decline in prey numbers?? Tell me where I'm wrong....also remember with funding comes more good things that every hunter conservationist should be an advocate for, things like more CO's, more aerial counts, and maybe some public education on why pred management is important to an ecosystem..

dana
01-31-2018, 11:07 PM
'Artificial' means they were high due to predator management. It has never been a secreat that Parks used to manage wolves. Man's involvement in the past is what they are calling 'artificial', not 'natural'. This is the Compassionate Model at work. Leave it alone and nature will balance it out they think. Man is not a part of nature.

canucks6
01-31-2018, 11:26 PM
The gypsy tree huggers just don't get it. Everywhere people settled is winter range for animals, that's why we live here. Also 150 years ago when people were settling if u saw a predator u killed it, cause it would kill u or it would kill what u needed to survive. Wolves don't eat tofu and soy.

Someone post some videos of wolves during the spring smashing elk calves like smarties.

Leaseman
02-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Amazing as usual Dana!!

Do you even know how many pictures of wildlife you have!!

Very impressive sir!

saskbooknut
02-01-2018, 01:54 PM
One stunning rack on that bull.

DeepJeep
02-01-2018, 02:01 PM
thats a beauty bull

kennyj
02-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Thats a heavy old boy!
kenny

dana
02-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Amazing as usual Dana!!

Do you even know how many pictures of wildlife you have!!

Very impressive sir!

My dad gave me my first camera for a high school grad present. That was many moons ago. I've been taking wildlife photos or video ever since. I have no idea how many photos I have.

dana
02-01-2018, 08:59 PM
When I asked Jasper what made their populations artificial in the past, this was their response back.
"Predator control was in place before the 1960s." So predator control creates 'artificial' wildlife populations. They also say that the many of the elk live in the town site and along the busy highways to avoid predation. Would that not also be artificial? If the townsite and highways with busy tourists was not there, one could easily conclude that there would be next to no elk in Jasper. And then we must think about the other species. How do you think their muleys, whiteatails, moose, sheep and caribou are doing? Dismal! All the habitat in the world and yet pretty much a wasteland outside of human activity. Pretty much what we are seeing in much of BC isn't it?

blackbart
02-01-2018, 10:02 PM
Look up some of the recent stuff coming out of the pro-wolf movement around Yellowstone. According to them wolves being back is saving the whole ecosystem.

BC land management is much much more complicated than that in parks such as Jasper or Yellowstone as there are other users of the land such as resource companies, cattle, private land holders and even us as hunters and fisherman. We need to continue to voice our perspectives to ensure that a balance approach is used.

Steve has certainly stimulated some good conversation. This thread included.

Welcome back you shat disturber!!!

elknut
02-01-2018, 10:30 PM
I agree about predator management..My problem is that of the 5-8 wolves I've seen while hunting with a gun I've had zero shot opportunities..Hunters kill a few but they have to be managed by trappers and by the ministry as they are doing quietly now ..We need more management from the Govt ..Idealisms have created a catch 22 situation cause bleeding hearts and Govt feel that Nature must take its course..BUT..we are part of nature as we kill animals so we effectively add to the predation of wildlife..Predators are really enjoying this safe zone that TODAY is prevalent ..Stupid is as stupid does and me thinks our Govt society is brow beatton by the Anti's ..Years ago you could shoot a black bear and didn't have to take the meat..Just the hide..This stopped the knocking back of black bears as hunters didn't hunt them hardly as much ..Predators have there place but there must be a proper balance or otherwise ungulates will drop drastically and we will have a shortage of animals..Me thinks the solution to this dilemma is a new model of wildlife management funded and run by professionals and not GOVT..Maybe if we can get a Liberal Govt elected in the next go around we can really lobby to have this model created..From CO's to resource workers to Biologists ...hunters ...fisherman ..guide outfitters .and Policeman is our area of support..A concentrated effort from this lobby group will get the attention of govt to do something for our wildlife..Science again can rule the day not fuzzy Anti's .....Dennis

tangozulu
02-01-2018, 11:11 PM
I always wondered why it took a 100 years for the first Jasper elk to make it to McBride.