PDA

View Full Version : This comings Seasons (2018) ATV Use and Restrictions

Bugle M In
01-30-2018, 08:32 PM
Discussion with hunting partner today, led us wondering to what will be happening this Fall?
We all saw that with those 2 big fires in R3, R5, that one had a full on ATV ban, and the other ATV and Vehicle Ban.
Also, the White River had a big fire, and I thought I recalled them implementing a full on vehicle Closure there as well.
Also, I recall the White River may be closed for years until "sightlines" are overgrown again.
BUT, I am not wanting to Debate these restrictions on this thread and if it is a good idea or bad etc.

I just want to know what "news" there is on these areas for the future, and what will be open for ATV use or not, and if not, how long will it be closed to ATV/Vehicles etc.

Just wanting to get some insight on what has been determined, and what is being discussed or rumored?
Again, don't want to hear about the good or the bad over it...start another thread in that case.

butthead
01-30-2018, 09:11 PM
i want to believe that the vehicle restrictions were do to the high fire probability .
keep the people out of the bush reduced possibility's of human caused fires.
as far as the fire areas who knows

Bugle M In
01-30-2018, 09:21 PM
Yes, I am wondering about those MU's that had fires in them.
What are the proposed restrictions, if any come this season, or any rumors of what is being proposed going forward.

Jack Russell
01-31-2018, 08:24 AM
I"m OK if they keep them closed. There are far too many firebreaks splitting off across country in an effort to contain the blazes. These fires only provided more access due to firefighting activities. If you feel there isn't enough access and despise the atv ban, don't be so damn greedy. There are still a few people that, despite owning a quad, still like to find some quiet country to WALK.

BromBones
01-31-2018, 09:05 AM
Vehicle/ATV bans for fire concerns are usually decisions made on short notice, so I doubt you'll hear anything until August. If it's a dry summer with extended hot weather in the forecast, probably be restrictions again.

Areas that already burned should be free and clear I would think. Also the vehicle bans last year didn't apply to private land, if that makes a difference for your planning.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/wildfire-status/fire-bans-and-restrictions/faq_orv_restrictions_aug_4.pdf

russm86
01-31-2018, 11:19 AM
Rumour from the COs has it that the 4 MUs in the north-western part of Region 3 (3-28, 3-29, 3-30 and 3-17) weren't actually closed because of the fires but will be permanently closed/banned to ATV use as they were wanting to do this prior to the fires for access reasons (at least in 3-28 and 3-29) and the fires just finally gave them justification that wouldn't ruffle too many feathers.

HarryToolips
01-31-2018, 11:41 AM
I"m OK if they keep them closed. There are far too many firebreaks splitting off across country in an effort to contain the blazes. These fires only provided more access due to firefighting activities. If you feel there isn't enough access and despise the atv ban, don't be so damn greedy. There are still a few people that, despite owning a quad, still like to find some quiet country to WALK.
If First Nations were aloud to use quads, and not us I call it a load of BS.....there's going to be plenty of blow over soon enough to limit access....

Rob Chipman
01-31-2018, 12:57 PM
Anyone want to trade me a horse for my quad? :-)

Sniperdan
01-31-2018, 05:09 PM
You can find all the PROPOSED regulation changes here: https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/hunting?field_species_value=&field_region_tid=All&field_mu_tid=All&field_hunting_type_tid=All

Just click "Hunting" at the top

Jack Russell
02-01-2018, 08:02 AM
If First Nations were aloud to use quads, and not us I call it a load of BS.....there's going to be plenty of blow over soon enough to limit access....

FN use over non FN use is a separate issue. But you already know that. And, it was OK for FN to use quads in the closed areas for 2017, anyway.

Bugle M In
02-01-2018, 02:30 PM
FYI, I don't own a quad!
My buddy and his son do, that's why I asked here.
They have always bee responsible users, and just use them for a cheaper, less destructive way to get around.
They have never taken them of the roads for any reason that I ever recall.
I think they respect the idea of keeping them on the roads.

Bugle M In
02-01-2018, 02:35 PM

tell me about it!!
Had some of those fire breaks go right thru my "honey hole hill"!!...just sucked for me.
They are super wide, 2 to 3 times as wide as a normal logging road would be.
And, many of them went right thru some of the last remaining "mature growth" in the area.
Something that is lacking up there big time after all that logging/beetle kill.
So, I understand the reason for the restrictions, and as well, they never did a good job of trying to deactivate any of it, nor do I think they will sadly.
Just wanted to hear what was going to happen this year.

Bugle M In
02-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Rumour from the COs has it that the 4 MUs in the north-western part of Region 3 (3-28, 3-29, 3-30 and 3-17) weren't actually closed because of the fires but will be permanently closed/banned to ATV use as they were wanting to do this prior to the fires for access reasons (at least in 3-28 and 3-29) and the fires just finally gave them justification that wouldn't ruffle too many feathers.

Never heard of that, but, then again, not saying it wasn't true.
But yes, the fire definitely gave them reason to close, and I just assumed it was for safety, and then due to all those firebreaks.
Wouldn't doubt if those MU's with fire will stay restricted however.

bighornbob
02-01-2018, 03:17 PM
Never heard of that, but, then again, not saying it wasn't true.
But yes, the fire definitely gave them reason to close, and I just assumed it was for safety, and then due to all those firebreaks.
Wouldn't doubt if those MU's with fire will stay restricted however.

there was a thread on here last year about the closure. I can see a closure in the immediate fire area, but the closure encompasses a lot of land that is 50km from the nearest burned tree.

BHB