PDA

View Full Version : Typical Tuesday Part 2

dana
01-30-2018, 07:35 PM
An image from my last encounter with a very old friend. An absolute amazing experience to photograph this BC bull many times over an 9 year period.

http://i.imgur.com/ERfbvIT.jpg

allan
01-30-2018, 08:06 PM
The pictures you post are awesome !
Thankyou!
Keep them coming please

HarryToolips
01-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Absolutely gorgeous bull.....lives in a national park??

dana
01-31-2018, 06:27 AM
Absolutely gorgeous bull.....lives in a national park??

Nope. Region 3 bull. No open season in Region 3.

dave_fras
01-31-2018, 07:55 AM
Do you know what ended up happening to him?

Leaseman
01-31-2018, 08:11 AM
WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing! 9 seasons eh!!

HarryToolips
01-31-2018, 12:47 PM
Nope. Region 3 bull. No open season in Region 3.
According to the BC outdoors magazine, they're thinking about opening up a 6 pt season in reg3, since it technically cannot harm the population, as the bull:cow ratio should still remain at or above the 20 bulls:100 cows provincial minimum...what's your opinion on that??

Rob Chipman
01-31-2018, 12:55 PM
Great pic.

DeepJeep
01-31-2018, 12:58 PM
Very nice bull! great pics

dana
01-31-2018, 05:37 PM
According to the BC outdoors magazine, they're thinking about opening up a 6 pt season in reg3, since it technically cannot harm the population, as the bull:cow ratio should still remain at or above the 20 bulls:100 cows provincial minimum...what's your opinion on that??

Hahaha! I wouldn't put it past the Fed to push for it. I'm sure FD is writting up the proposal as we speak. They would have better hunter oportunity if they opened a GOS on Region 3 Mountain Caribou too :)

dana
01-31-2018, 05:41 PM
Do you know what ended up happening to him?

He had a hard limp the day I took this photo. I was hoping it was just the frosty morning not agreeing with his old joints. I searched for him the following years and have not been able to locate him again. He was very old for an elk. Very very old for an elk that lived in a predator pit. I'm sure old age or a predator finally caught up with him that winter.

kennyj
01-31-2018, 05:50 PM
Great photo as usual. I've enjoyed lots of great photos of this bull over the years. One of the best things about HBC.
Keep up the good work.
kenny

horshur
01-31-2018, 06:44 PM
Mid 360's....

HarryToolips
01-31-2018, 11:05 PM
Hahaha! I wouldn't put it past the Fed to push for it. I'm sure FD is writting up the proposal as we speak. They would have better hunter oportunity if they opened a GOS on Region 3 Mountain Caribou too :)
So your opinion is reg3 doesn't have enough elk to support a 6 pt season?? Ok fair enough....

dana
01-31-2018, 11:13 PM
So your opinion is reg3 doesn't have enough elk to support a 6 pt season?? Ok fair enough....

Is 30 cows, 4 calves and 5 bulls enough? Hahaha!

f350ps
01-31-2018, 11:17 PM
With those numbers surely it could support a GOS Cow season, hunter opportunity you know! :) K

HarryToolips
02-02-2018, 06:05 PM
Lol and not to mention FN's would have first priority on them, and with some of their populace having a lack of conservation foresight, I'm sure they'd shoot a bunch of cows and decimate the population...

dana
02-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Lol and not to mention FN's would have first priority on them, and with some of their populace having a lack of conservation foresight, I'm sure they'd shoot a bunch of cows and decimate the population...

i seriously thought you were joking when you posted up. To hear that you are serious is mind blowing. You seriously read in BC Outdoors that they wanted to open up a 6 point season in Region 3? Where were they talking about? Lytton area had a season years ago. Don't know what that herd currently is like. It was in the tank for a lot of years. Adams area had a season that ended 25 years ago. There is no way in hell it could support one now. Falkland has a small struggling herd. I doubt it could support a season. There is a herd in the Merrit area. From what I've heard, they are mainly on the Douglas Lake property. Maybe that herd is doing fine. I don't know.

HarryToolips
02-02-2018, 11:42 PM
^^^no i am serious, they mentioned just rumblings of it, in the BC Outdoors magazine from late summer last year....I was just curious as to what your thoughts were on it, since you live in reg3....according to the MOE, the elk pops overall in reg 3 is increasing, and they say a 6 pt season can't hurt the population, but what would concern me the most is antlerless harvest by FN's...I personally wouldn't want to see an elk season with only a few hundred elk in the whole region...but I think when the 6 pt GOS started years ago in reg8, I believe our elk pops was only around 1000 correct me if I'm wrong people, now it's 2-3 times that, growing while the 6 pt season was/is in place so that is a good sign at least..

stinkyduck
02-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Were there already some undesireables from Chilawack shooting up that heard not long a go.