PDA

View Full Version : Moose Season Cancelled?

BCBear
08-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Has anyone heard of this yet, it may already be posted and I missed it. General Moose in 6-14, 6-16 and 6-15b and 6-30b has been terminated.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0708/docs/CorrectionsPoster.pdf

jethrobuddy
08-17-2007, 09:36 PM
yup it's true!

jessbennett
08-17-2007, 09:37 PM
wonder if some threats of roadblocks and other "peacful "demonstrations "caused that??????:roll::mad:

Paulyman
08-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Why was it cancelled?

sawmill
08-18-2007, 06:38 AM
I`m glad I moved away from there.I was pissed when they shortend the season to 6 days becase the Ministry "under estimated the impact of native harvesting of moose"
The assholes selling them are bad but the asholes buying them are worse.:mad:

Steeleco
08-18-2007, 06:57 AM
The assholes selling them are bad but the asholes buying them are worse.:mad: Ain't that the truth. if there's no market then they have no cause to harvest, I've said that about Sockeye on the Fraser for years.

sawmill
08-18-2007, 07:00 AM
No sockeye for anyone this year I hear.

hunter1947
08-18-2007, 07:48 AM
You would think that they would let this year go ,then cancel it for next year ,there must be sum upset people out there that have had plans to hunt them areas ,just to be told at the last moment they can't hunt there this year. The way they should do it is put it in this years regs that next year them areas will be canceled for the season. ??? :???:.

ohno
08-18-2007, 01:34 PM
One positive here is they closed the season BEFORE it opened unlike the moose in Region 5 a few years back. That closure caused major confusion.

Elkhound
08-18-2007, 02:20 PM
One positive here is they closed the season BEFORE it opened unlike the moose in Region 5 a few years back. That closure caused major confusion.

Aint that the truth

hunter1947
08-18-2007, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't think they would have any ground to stand on if they found some hunters that had shot a moose a few years ago when they closed down that region for moose ,how is the CO or other going to be able to contact every hunter in the bush in order to tell them that is closed down ?????.

Elkhound
08-18-2007, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't think they would have any ground to stand on if they found some hunters that had shot a moose a few years ago when they closed down that region for moose ,how is the CO or other going to be able to contact every hunter in the bush in order to tell them that is closed down ?????.

It states that it is the hunters responsibility to check for closures whether hunting or fishing. It sucks Wayne but thats the reality......ignorance of the law is no excuse in a court of law.

If it wasn't for sites like HBC I would not have known the Immy season was closed that year.

hunter1947
08-18-2007, 04:31 PM
It states that it is the hunters responsibility to check for closures whether hunting or fishing. It sucks Wayne but thats the reality......ignorance of the law is no excuse in a court of law.

If it wasn't for sites like HBC I would not have known the Immy season was closed that year. I know that ,but what happens when you are 50 miles back in the bush and they decide to close the area down ,you don't know that they have closed it down when you are back in the bush hunting ,your not going to go out every day and phone the CO to see if there going to shut her down that day?????

40incher
08-18-2007, 05:20 PM
As usual, resident hunters are being sold out by those who should be protecting our access to hunt.

We are losing our open seasons in the Nass, and our bow seasons. The guide quotas on the other hand remain at status quo for this year.

From the total AAH of moose for these Region 6 MU's only 24 bulls remain for non-Nisga'a hunters, and it is said that three other First Nation's groups have overlap claims in the same area.

This inequity is the responsibility of MOE and the land claims negotiators, and can not be blamed on the Nisga'a.

Isn't our government bureaucracy a wonderful thing!

Elkhound
08-18-2007, 05:23 PM
I know that ,but what happens when you are 50 miles back in the bush and they decide to close the area down ,you don't know that they have closed it down when you are back in the bush hunting ,your not going to go out every day and phone the CO to see if there going to shut her down that day?????

I agree....and I am sure if that happened they would take that into account....I hope:shock:

spock
08-18-2007, 09:03 PM
I looked in the printed hunting regs after reading this and there is a notice that the moose season in the mu's in question was under review. I don't know if anyone noticed but in the last couple of years there was a notice that non nisga hunters might have to get a nisga licence to hunt in their traditional area which is the mu's in question. I did not see the notice this year so the two are probably related. Hopefully this isn't something that is going to repeat itself across the province, or we're going to be buying all our recreational opportunities including golf in vancouver from the Indians. Seems like Gordo was able to kill two birds with one stone privatize a public resource by giving it to the Indians to sell back to us, and enter into a new era relationship with FN at the same time, while protecting access for resource companies. Thats what get's me the most about this drive to get 20,000 new hunters the government is perfectly willing to sacrifice our access to game in treaty negotiations, leaving more of us to fight over less access, more leh anyone. Oh yeah and they get to come off looking like they're on the hunters side. Looks like they've got some good PR people working for them too bad the math doesn't add up.(you give one group a bigger piece of the pie, another group has too take less)

BCBear
08-22-2007, 11:52 PM
I know that ,but what happens when you are 50 miles back in the bush and they decide to close the area down ,you don't know that they have closed it down when you are back in the bush hunting ,your not going to go out every day and phone the CO to see if there going to shut her down that day?????

It depends on which direction the wind is blowing...could be big trouble or nothing at all, hope it never happens to me.

Steeleco
08-23-2007, 07:55 AM

This happened a few years back, mid season for immatures in reg 5. The C/O's covered all the camps and marked your licence and tag to indicate you had been told. You could still use the tag in another region, but it would be obvious if you cut the tag in that region after that date.

08-24-2007, 11:14 AM
I think it might have a lot to do with the long winter and heavy snow fall. Between Terrace and Endako there were over 400 moose killed on the train tracks alone this year.

ratherbefishin
08-24-2007, 11:55 AM
why aren't train tracks fenced in vulnerable areas?

08-24-2007, 12:09 PM
CN is too cheap to build or to maintain it. But look at the positive side, the crows are well fed all winter long.

kishman
08-24-2007, 04:32 PM
No sockeye for anyone this year I hear.

I just drove across the Abby/Mission bridge and there's nets galore tied to the railbridge just upstream........:frown:

sawmill
08-25-2007, 03:47 AM
I just drove across the Abby/Mission bridge and there's nets galore tied to the railbridge just upstream........:frown:
Surprised?When the last fish is caught it will be by an Indian who sells it to an American.Yup,stewards of the land my ass.