PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail firsts ........

01-29-2018, 11:20 AM
In an attempt to help get this site back on track with a hunting story, I'm posting a story about some Whitetail firsts with my family and friends.

Years ago, reading some terrific threads here on HBC about WT hunters and their successes, along with pics of some great times with friends and families, combined with a life altering change in my health brought me to reach out for some helpful advise. I PMed a few on here, and with some great helpful suggestions for tips on areas, methods, seasons etc etc, our pursuit of the WTail grew.

Im getting closer to 60 now, have hunted in some way shape or form since following my dad pheasant and duck hunting in the early 60's. I got the hunting bug big time early in life. Begging to go with pops any chance I could. Dad usually hunted waterfowl, pheasants, deer and moose. A man out hunting for table fare for his family, and of course time with the buddy's. Mom would accompany him along with a few other wives of his friends on those big moose hunts up north from time to time. I begged to tag along but always got the ...... Wait till your older, OK fair enough.

01-29-2018, 11:39 AM
My bro and I kept the pressure on dad to get back into bird hunting for ducks, geese and pheasants which we did for several years, but we wanted more. We wanted to hunt deer, big game. The pressure was on poor dad to satisfy these young guns dreams.

So came the time to start going on the odd deer hunt with dad, carrying an old Winchester pump in 22WRF. Cool! In my mind I was starting my big game hunting, although I was the designated grouse gun, picking off one every once in a while. But I wanted more then the ruffed grouse of the Harrison mountains, I wanted to hunt deer. We would have to wait longer as dad kind of grew away from his pursuits of big game for the time being and my bro and I needed to be older to go on our own. Those years went by slowly, but when the time finally came for us to hunt by ourselves dad again joined back in. We were going deer hunting.

We all hunted together for mostly Mule deer and moose with some success, until the drive grew larger and larger to reach out for more big game adventures. At the same time dads desire was fading so it was up to us to get out there and just do it. Which we did. I was lucky enough in my early adulthood to have work schedule that favoured me to be out for several days at a time, while my brother wasn't so lucky and only had weekends off. My horizons broadened.

With that the White Tail became on the hit list. We didn't live any where near WTail range , it was a long drive compared to what we were used too.

My desire grew for these cagey buggers. I found them to be flighty, fast, lightening speed compared to the mule deer and Blacktail we previously hunted. Cool! The challenge before me grew greater, I appreciated the WTail deer more and more.

01-29-2018, 11:53 AM
So like many others from the Lowermainland, Rock Creek and surrounding areas was where I cut my teeth on the Whitey. Many years past with success on several small bucks, leh does. I needed more. The West and East Kootenays were what we were told was the areas to go to find some better bucks and more deer. Wow what a road trip, yes I found deer, lots of them matter fact. But...... never hunting late seasons the same old continued, small bucks and LEH does. All by still hunting or while traveling to and or from hunting spots. I liked all these hunts if the WTail, never ever did combine it with a Mule deer or Elk hunt. Always wished for the last of the season hunts in cold snowy weather but never did it happen.

We just got used to being happy with what we had, some success and great eating deer along with tremendous shares with family and friends when some could make it. I always wanted the big buck WTail but wasn't helping myself in any way by not opening horizons on how when and what to do to be good what it takes for the big guys.

Then, like many other hunters my goals changed, Elk, Goat, Sheep, Caribou more Moose and Mule deer became on the hit list. For years this consumed me as the WTail took a back seat to my desires of bigger better things. Little did I know just what it does take to harvest a big Whitey buck.

01-29-2018, 12:10 PM
Sorry about the several post thing...... The time out thing becomes a hassle. Back to the story.

So now, after many many years of terrific hunting experiences with to many people to mention and great successes on a wide range of BC game, the last couple years has come back to the WTail with me and my family sharing some great times together. My lovely wife has joined me several times over the years, but in the last couple has shown more desire to harvest, along with two grown up daughters that have completed their CORE and also want and desire more rather then just a camping trip while dad hunts.

With the change to my health of not being able to go like I used too, and the amazing help of some new to us friends, the WTail have become more of a target. A fit fir my family and I . Allowing us time together, both in and out if season figuring these critters and their habits out. The helpful tips and suggestions, from those more educated on the WTail habits and habitat have been so greatly appreciated. You know who you are. We are very grateful to you! We've been out there finding trails, pinch points, habitat the WT hang out more frequently in. We've set up cameras, in attempt to find what works and even who's in the area. Which has been quite an eye opener, Bear, Deer of both types,Elk, Moose Cats and Dogs ....... It's all new to us this style of hunting and is like going to a candy store as a kid to check a July, Aug, early Sept Camera or two. It's family time were sharing and enjoying every bit of it along with a couple close friends. Great shares together.

blacklab
01-29-2018, 12:15 PM
I don't think there's a finer game animal in this province. They're everymans deer form new hunters to old guys like me.
I think any white tail buck taken in the bush is a trophy.

01-29-2018, 12:24 PM
2016 October any WTail season rolls in, my wife and I are in the best position we could be in with some help from a terrific mentor and the homework he's done for the area. We're hunting out of a ground blind, in an area of pinch points, a number of trails. It's my wife's goal to tag her first deer. From daylight to dark, we sit in the blind with a number of opportunities for experienced hunters .....but four days passed until she gets the perfect broadside and still shot at a big WT doe. I am so proud of her for waiting for the perfect chance, as she steadies on the target the big doe and likely her yearling have no idea were there. Slowly and calmly she squeezes the trigger, boom! A perfect hit through the boiler room, a number few short leaps and the task is complete. My wife's first big game animal. I admire her patience, her ethics for a perfect shot. It was bang on! As many of you know, your first and any harvest is with mixed emotions, this was no different. She was proud, but no one more prouder of her than me. Tag was cut, pics taken, then onto the field lessons of cleaning, hanging and skinning. What a great day! A quick call to family and our mentor followed the tasks at hand.

I tagged a WTail doe the next day as well, we sat around camp, enjoyed the outdoors and the comfort of our wall tent Glamping not camping lol. With some terrific eating venison and memories that will last our lifetimes we headed home.

I returned in late October with my best hunting partner of all time DH..... Boots on the ground we found a few more spots we thought would produce for WT and notably bucks. He would still have opportunity at a doe if the opportunity came. Well we worked at it for four more days, daylight to dark, cam's showed we were in the right places, it was just if they would show during legal shooting light. Sign was good, cam pics interesting as some subjects looked better than others. Time was running out, DH closed the deal on a fine lone doe, other friends that had attempted to join us a few days just grew frustrated with what it took to bag the WTail. Their patience thin, they left empty. So be it, they aren't the stand there and stare, wait, look back again Mule Deer they were used to.

I crossed my my fingers and hoped I could return for them late season bucks I've always heard about. We will see.

01-29-2018, 12:39 PM
Again 2016, My cousin and I returned nearing the end of the November gun season in hopes of cold cold weather and deep snow to drive the big boys down. Well, it didn't happen, rain at 4000 feet, unreal. We did a combination of hunting, he still hunted while I sat again in the blind. With little activity, and no weather push I decided I'd take the first buck that came if any. As I was making a five to ten year plan for the WT buck of my dreams to come along, and likely the rain wasn't helping me. No sign of rut activity, camera showed night time little bucks and does. I'd take what I could get.

Sure enough, a little fella came in on day three in daylight hours, boom! He's on the ground, cuz and I won't be skunked .......another great eating WTail was headed to the lower mainland . My cousin was tired and soaked from still hunting for a few days with only long distance sightings of fleeing WTail. I coaxed him into the blind. Never having done this style before for any of us, it is a big change, but IT WORKS, lol. At about ten minutes of last legal light, a small basket racked 5x4 no wider then 12 inches approaches from down the hill. Confirmed WT Cuz, your good to go, and with the turn to broadside, boom, the buck is dropped! Smiles all round as another tag is cut and our work begins. Great shares with those who mean so much to us.

All firsts for us ........ In the pursuit of WTail.

To be continued

01-29-2018, 01:13 PM
So 2017 rolls around. Early May, Black Bear are open and there's WTail recon to complete.

Our homework begins, new bigger areas to pursue, better trails to find. Boots on the ground, this is going to take some time and lessons of where and when. We mount several cameras in numberous spots, some questionable as we try to figure out what's going to benefit our goals best. It's all a learning curve. Dominate wind direction, pinch points, game trails, shelter and protection, rut lines etc etc ...... We're still learning and I have a feeling we always will with these adaptable critters known as the White Tail . Cool ..... New challenges ahead. It's fun and certainly not a given with these smart buggers. I'm up to it, as my health can't allow me what I was so used too for many many years, that's ok it's fun period !

As as were busy doing what we're doing, I'm waiting for buddy roadside sitting on my tail gate. All hell is breaking loose in the bush beside me ....... Crash snap etcetc, out of the bush and crossing the road come two WT does and a Buck already showing some good growth for May..... Flying across the road ....... And right behind them a Black Bear in hot pursuit. Making this the last two Black Bear I'd seen were in hot chase of deer, likely one of these does was ready to have her fawn ....... No chance for a shot at Blacky ...... Dam. Save a deer shoot a Pred is my logic.

got to run ..... More in a while.

01-29-2018, 04:34 PM
So with cam's set, we revisited locations through July, August and into September with pics of various wildlife, but most gratifying, our target species, Some nice WT bucks, a few wide, a few tall, a few non tippys and yes does fawns and small bucks. Cool this looks interesting for the up coming season.

With plans set for my wife and I to be joined by our two girls and a boyfriend that just completed his CORE, we all headed out of the Lowermainland excited for what lay ahead, but a long drive and set up for a week would take time. How often would we be able to all do this together with careers, growing families etc etc. It was all a bonus to heading out together as a family anticipating what lay ahead.

Finally arriving at our chosen spot for more Glamping with bonus of a comfy huge wall tent, we set up. We were eager to get out there. Wifey and I took them all out to a number of spots we thought would offer best opportunity to the all green new hunters that had never harvested their own game. We discussed the whys, when and what of each spot, with that, we set up a couple blinds, checked cam's and replaced the chips, we would view them fire side that night in anticipation of tomorrow's daylight hunt.

01-29-2018, 04:57 PM
After a rather restless night for us all from having to reboot the wood stove to the restlessness of the unknown for many, morning coffees were served well before daylight. A quick oatmeal cereal was downed by us all and we headed out with headlamps on, as we searched for our trail markers into our blind locations well before daylight.
I sat in one blind with a newbie, the wife in the other blind with the other two. Sitting in silence, taking it all in the share together in the middle of the forests we all knew had active Cougar, Bear the odd Dog and yes, ungulates of various species but ...... We all waited for the WTail we knew were around. Would they show, could our newbies pull it off with out being detected by the wary WT ....... The new crew wanted lunch breaks ..... I reluctantly agreed.

Lunch down, back out we went, a quick check of a cam, and dammit! We shouldn't have left, but we did, within ten minutes of leaving one camera had a doe pass through. Thems the breaks. Told ya so lol. So, a few days went by, a few quick chances had came and gone for the newbies, they just were not quick enough, but with me driving home proper shot placement and ethics, no shots were fired. Again I was proud these guys were holding off for the right shot ! Good on you guys.

Then, as my youngest daughter was doing great, her patience tested, waiting on a big WTail doe to get into the right position for a shot, it was only a matter of time. This was going to be her first deer. Darkness came closer, she remained calm. I was grinning from ear to ear, then a loud boom sounded a ways to our right, was it our other hunting party members, we crossed our fingers as the doe we watched what seemed for ever took off. We Waited a short time, picked up the radio and YES ! Confirmation, deer down! We packed up and went to their aid for some field dressing lessons.

01-29-2018, 05:16 PM
Sorry about the # posts but my comp. times out for some reason.

Arriving at the other blind, with a dead deer and huge smiles, checking tag cancellation proceedures with a shaky hand, we took some pics, got the low down on the story of newbie success. It was priceless! Worth every bit of work and attention to details. Now we had direct methods of a quick field dressing with the entire group. The deer was dragged out of the bush and others were sent for the truck and camp dog, more work to come soon, hanging, skinning etc etc. Stories back and forth along with a few celebratory cocktails. Good times.

One down, maybe a couple to go. Focus remained on the newbies opportunities rather then my wife and I's. The next morning, again well before light, we all headed out. The five of us switched locations, as to not grow tired of the same old same old...... And about 1/2 hour after first light, a small buck came walking into perfect position for our youngest daughter ....... She had missed out on a few windows of opportunity previously so was eager, calm and ready. As the little buck turned broadside, the report of the 30/06 sounded off with another deer down! Wow, I must say, for both of these two new hunters, I couldn't be happier, both deer had collapsed in their tracks on the shot. No blood trails to follow, no doubt of immediate kills. I was happy with their attention to detail on listening to my preaching of proper shot replacement, just like my wife did the previous year. Congrats to you all! Jobs well done.

So, with two down now, we all took in Glamping for another day, while the meat set up great. I should mention the wicked storm that brewed around us for the days there, it was unnerving at times and on a few occasions we all bailed out of the bush in worries if being crushed by fallen trees. One big bugger missed one blind by thirty feet, to close! We were glad we were camped in a small pine regrowth area. Happy with two for three on the newbies, we headed home, smiles all round. This wasn't a hunt for the wife and I, it was about trying to get the newbies onto deer, which through patience, dedication and time, it paid off.

Until next time ....... We will be back!

01-29-2018, 05:42 PM
So, November 2917 early drop in temperature and snow level was shaping up to be what we all want for bigger bucks. The second week of November had snow nearing two feet deep at 4000 feet. Then, the rains came, DAM!
What was looking so promising was quickly going away. Oh well, plans were made for the last week of the rifle season. My bro had never harvested a WTail buck, he was on my most wanted list to fulfil his dream and dream of a good buck. Four of us went, myself, bro, buddy DH and again our cousin.

We started by checking cameras and replacing chips and batteries. Blinds were placed and bushed in as much as possible, we were all stoked. Much to our surprise, there was little rut sign so late in the season, hardly any deer on cam's bucks and does included but what activity there was was in the darness. We all settled in in what looked like might be a long week. We did note, two dandy bucks were on cameras in two locations, but never during the day. All night time pics. I put bro in the best spot I thought for a goodin, ugly thick dense cover with a bit of new rut sign, but lots of previous years rubs. This was a travel corridor, or so we thought for a big boy. From daylight to dark. The four of us remained determined and focused on the tasks of bucks, and hopefully good ones.

Days went by, a few little boys were passed up early, by a few of us, spikes, twos and a three point. A few does appeared in various locations, but no rut activity to get excited about. Dam! From time to time, we would check the cam's, and sure enough, there were some good ones around, but no patern to follow. Bro moved location to another area we thought had potential. To no avail, the same continued. No daylight sightings of bigger bucks, but a few night shots of bigger boys kept us going, cool, they are here somewhere!

On day six, after daylight to dark for all for of us, the temps dropped. Our coolest day yet, great !

Sure enough mid day, around 1 o'clock, the squirrels to my right were going crazy. Somethings up, what's going on. I slowly tried to open the side windows more. In the thick bush to the right, a doe slowly fed along the trail, movement to her left, WOW! A big buck, yup a WTail, out above his nose, at least a five pt. holy crap! My heart raced. He was only 30-35 yeads away ...... I tried in vane to get into position. Trying to be as quiet as possible, He new I was there, some where, but didn't know what to make of his nervous demeanour ...... Shat!

01-29-2018, 06:03 PM
As I readied for the shot on his vitals, the doe moved in directly behind him. Dammit! With that he turned and trotted away, no flag but nervous none the less.
My one and only opportunity on a good buck, the biggest WTail buck I'd ever had my sights on was there, then gone.
Their cagey suckers as I couldn't believe what had happened! Opportunity LOST !
I offered my spot to my big bro, he said no, those night time pics of what was around kept him envious of what might happen. In time. Again late night cam check of cards and chips. Holy crap! Another goodin has passed by my blind before daylight on day six, yet again never showed in daylight. More sightings that day 6 by all of us but one showed increase of activity by the girls, more bucks on film. It appeared the rut was on with the change of temp.

Day 7 began, four guys in positions, fingers crossed, colder yet today ....... As darness grew to daylight, a couple does moved through my sight lines, then one doe, on full alert bounded out. As a nice bigger buck came slowly up the hill pushing her around. He faced me straight on, nice! Sure, not the dandy of the day before but a big bodied buck, wait, look at the rack, it's Broken Face! We had him on cam, he was a scrapper no doubt. Missing a lot of bone from his head gear. Being down hill and Facing head on he lowered his head and was dropped in his tracks with a spine shot through the vitals of my old Ruger princess .308 win. Wow, I couldn't believe it! My best WTail buck to date!

Cool my first WTail buck that's all busted up from battles with bigger bucks indeed! I'd like to see the boy that kicked his butt!

I must admit, my heart had been beating like a newbie, I had them feelings of buck fever, I had to calm myself before the shot. It's those feelings that drive me to continue my love of fishing and hunting, goal accomplished !

I walked down to the buck, he had not moved, was dead immediately ! Awesome, wow a nice big bodied boy!
Missing his G2 off one side, and other full antler above the brow tine. What was likely a nice 5x 5 was now a 4x2 lol. Broken Face had fallen! I called for some help on the radio. I'd need it to get thus guy out one on the pole for skinning. Tag cut, field dressed and pics taken, cuz and I hauled him out! Thanks GB Sr. On your help. We were stoked, finally, deer down after the start of day 7!

01-29-2018, 06:15 PM
With wishes that my bro had taken my spot and likely would have taken ol Broken Face, my goal remained, to get him his first WTail buck. I did admire his dedication to remain in place but asked him to please move, as you never know, the dandy I had seen on day 6 may come back. He was worried I had gutted a deer in the same area, I told him no it's not to worry of he agreed to move and spend the remaining time of our hunt in my place, even though his cam's showed great potential with a big double split browed 6x7 on night pics only.

As I went to help big bro change locations my buddy DH and I contacted each other on radio. He had finally downed a spike he watched from time to time all week, but had passed on several chances. With plans of heading home the next day, he harvested the young fine eating WT buck. Two down, two to go. We got Bro moved and in place as I again reassured him to stay in place till legal light was gone, the biggy might not show till last light. I offered him better binocs, reluctantly he accepted. Good glass lights things up better no doubt.

It was still before noon, two hanging on the pole and skinned, looking mighty fine. DH and I shared more stories and laughs of past hunts of days gone by. Great times together over many many years. Still my best hunting partner of all !

01-29-2018, 06:44 PM
Nearing the end if day 7, we sat and waited for the boys to finish yet another long day of WTail blind hunting.

Then Boom! Some one had fired a high power, and not to distant, it could be either one, my big bro GB jr. or Cuz GB sr. ....... Waiting a few minutes, the radio, scratched with squelch ........ It was my Bro ....... His words, who's coming to help me pull out a buck! Wahoo! He had downed his First WTail buck. Finally getting to him in the blackness, we quickly picked up the trail. He didn't go far. And was stone dead. A nice 5x4 ! Way to Go Bro!

I couldn't be happier for you! Tag cut, pics and more pics, the buck dressed was dragged out of the bush. Up to the hanging pole that was now looking even better. Two good sized bodied bucks down and a more tender spiker. Great share together by all. Cousin GBsr. was done, and more than happy to go home with full tags, as he'd be retuning to a different region for WT Bow only season later in December.

The long daylight to dark days had payed off. The many many trips back and forth to the hunting grounds has paid off. The many many hours of preseason scouting and boots on the ground with terrific advice from a few WT masters has helped me, my family and friends emmensly! I've learnta ton from you, learnt a ton while out there, but know I'm far from knowing it all, not a chance, that's what draws me back wanting more. This species and style of hunting is far different then any other hunting I have done to date, yet fits with my present abilities and health. It's doable and provides me with great great shares with family and friends!

Thanks to those that have mentored me and mine, thanks for your trust, your advice and for believing me. Thanks for the amazing share of your knowledge of the WTails. I tip my hat to you! We all are grateful to help us with some great memories and White Tail firsts !

Until this spring time 2018 ...... Black bear Season soon, with boots on the ground in search for the great sought after White Tails .

CT

I'd love to share some pics but can't post from my android. Please pm me if you can help. Thanks

fuzzybiscuit
01-29-2018, 06:49 PM
Where’s the pictures...?

fuzzybiscuit
01-29-2018, 06:50 PM
Lol. Thanks for taking the time to post up CT.

I spent some time in the Midway/Greenwood area myself chasing Whitetails. Got a real nice 5x6 in 1992 heading down Fiva creek from the Boundary end. Not a pic to be found now and I have no idea where they went.

.264winmag
01-29-2018, 06:53 PM
Thanks for taking us along on your wt adventures. Time well wasted every time I'm sitting for a wt, even if one doesn't show. It sure is a patience game, and they sure are smart and tasty. The smartest and tastiest of the deers I reckon!
Best of luck in the future.
Cheers

Wild one
01-29-2018, 07:13 PM
Sounds like the start of a new addiction lol

Rhyno
01-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post. I love stories about new hunters getting their first.

If you are worried about timing out when posting try writing in word and just copy and pasting it over.

Ourea
01-29-2018, 08:04 PM
Pics!!!!.....

fuzzybiscuit
01-29-2018, 08:09 PM
Posting all these next pictures for CT:

Our group of newbies, two daughters and a boyfriend with first WT

https://s9.postimg.org/8yxprji7j/012_B68_C1-9_CBF-4_D87-8_FF1-_BF3_BD5_D3_F599.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

A dandy WTail Buck in Aug 2017.

https://s9.postimg.org/jyix35gcf/24768_CB5-_C912-40_D7-_B579-5_F0_BA5_F1_BFB7.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

A pic of my wife with a big WT doe. Oct. 2016

https://s9.postimg.org/6hlyk4t4f/3_E9009_CD-_E347-4_FDA-8706-287_CCB39_FF9_E.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/en40iahd7/)

Here's a pic of my 2017 Late November Broken Face buck.

https://s9.postimg.org/g25l76ii7/BF029467-7370-4749-_B1_CE-16_DE34356_C48.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/5fbs1racr/)

My Bros 2017 first WT Buck.

https://s9.postimg.org/5td415zjj/76_B43269-81_E8-4_A33-_B72_B-_DCBB92_C09655.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/ebmk5i623/)

fuzzybiscuit
01-29-2018, 08:10 PM
One more for CT:

My cousins 2016 WTail basket buck

https://s9.postimg.org/d9cdmwpsv/EF719442-9_A68-4_D6_A-98_A0-256_E8_E7_DEB4_F.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/4r2xikja3/)

Ourea
01-29-2018, 08:12 PM
Good job guys

fuzzybiscuit
01-29-2018, 08:18 PM
Just to be clear those were all CT’s pictures. I was just posting them for him...

01-29-2018, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the comments guys...... And fuzzy for posting pics

Ourea
01-29-2018, 08:22 PM
Think I know the area LOL

.264winmag
01-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Great deer, great pics. Is there a more classic wt weapon then the rem 760;)

01-29-2018, 08:31 PM
Great deer, great pics. Is there a more classic wt weapon then the rem 760;)

my girls each shoot them in 30/06, one from 1958, great shape, the other 1981 Carbine never used till this last year. had the stocks cut down for better fit. The wife's is the rare upgrade 1981 era model Six deluxe in .308 win with Monte Carlo stock.

They are simple, reliable and fast if need be.

I love Them.

f350ps
01-29-2018, 08:39 PM
Thanks for taking us along Curly, a great read for sure, congrats again! K

.264winmag
01-29-2018, 08:39 PM
Ah ya nice, the deer is hiding the comb on the 81 I guess. Other one looks to be carbine, that's my fav!

ajr5406
01-30-2018, 07:47 AM
Great story and great experiences, thanks for sharing CT!

BCHunterFSJ
01-30-2018, 10:52 AM
Heck Curly Top, with all those stories you could almost write a book...
Thanks for the good reads!

HarryToolips
01-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Got write up CT, and good mentoring with your family members on those harvests, waiting for that ethical shot is very important....and good job on the bucks with your mates....

Sitkaspruce
01-30-2018, 06:58 PM
Thumbs up Curly!! Thanks for posting up a great hunting story!!

Cheers

SS

Dash
01-31-2018, 01:15 PM
So glad you posted your stories! Loved it!! As you know, I can definitely relate to the everyone's excitement haha. Congrats again to everyone and good on you for being so helpful and patient with all the newbie hunters. If I'm not mistaken, I think we got our deer on the same day didn't we? It was an excellent day! :)

01-31-2018, 01:44 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think we got our deer on the same day didn't we? It was an excellent day! :)

Ya know Dash, I recall your texts ......... I think it was the same day, 28th, I'd have to look at my tag to be sure.

Dont forget we need to mount your Antlers ...... CT

Ourea
01-31-2018, 01:48 PM
How do those WT taste!?

01-31-2018, 01:54 PM
How do those WT taste!?

Lol! Like Non other Ourea ........ Fantastic ! Matter fact, right now a nice rump roast is in the slow cooker for one of the daughters BDay dinner. Haha.

Ive always liked deer, all of them, BTs, Mulies, buttt.... The WTails I have to admit are terrific, and have converted many a " deer is always Gamey " conisuors.

Thumbs UP!

Got out any special recipes Ourea?

f350ps
01-31-2018, 03:12 PM
Hey Curly, I've been doing some thinking lately and came to the realization that your future son in law is screwed for whiteys in Nov, seniority takes precedence! No worries though, I'll fill his spot in the blind! :) K

Dash
01-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Ya know Dash, I recall your texts ......... I think it was the same day, 28th, I'd have to look at my tag to be sure.

Dont forget we need to mount your Antlers ...... CT

I just checked mine, it was the 27th. I can't remember if I texted ya that day or the next though.. No matter, 27-28th are going in my book as my "good luck" days haha. Gunna have to go every year at that time!

And yes, I still have it in the freezer! I'm hoping to get time to finish cleaning them up! I'll be in touch for sure!!

01-31-2018, 04:05 PM
Hey Curly, I've been doing some thinking lately and came to the realization that your future son in law is screwed for whiteys in Nov, seniority takes precedence! No worries though, I'll fill his spot in the blind! :) K

He hasn't qualified for them long Late Novemer sit sessions ........ That takes ........ Well almost a life time as my bro found out ......... If I recall you are a goose slayer, you would be setting deeks and pounding Snows any way lol.

Wild one
01-31-2018, 04:13 PM
Want some added fun during the rut use a combo of rattling/doe bleats. Helps to pass the time on all day sits in the cold

WT come to calling better then BT/MD. Some will sneak in like a ghost but some will put on a real show. I have had bucks charge in, rake trees, and grunt being highly aggressive

Calling adds way more excitement and by far my fav way to hunt WT