PDA

View Full Version : crown land around kamloops

Willstockton20
01-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone, I just recently moved to Kamloops from Kelowna, back in Kelowna I went target shooting on crown land quite ab it and would like to do the same thing here in Kamloops, is anyone aware of some good areas that I can legally shoot outside city limits around Kamloops? Preferably gravel pits but if not any other areas where it is legal to shoot, I always pick up all my casings and targets after I'm finished, I plan on mostly just shooting the 22 and air rifles, thank you

rimfire
01-25-2018, 01:01 PM
How often are you planning on going out?

bc8x8
01-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Why not just join the Heffley Creek Gun club , at less than 100$ gives you a range out to 1,000 mtrs and insurance too.

Willstockton20
01-25-2018, 01:24 PM
About once a month or so

Ferenc
01-25-2018, 01:28 PM
Just head up Tranquille rd ... that’s where I would go, up the hill.

rimfire
01-25-2018, 01:29 PM
Why not just join the Heffley Creek Gun club , at less than 100$ gives you a range out to 1,000 mtrs and insurance too.

That's what I was going to say. At $100 for the membership, you will likely burn more on fuel every time you go out to the sticks than to the ranges which are much closer. If it is only .22 and air rifles, even KTSA might be an option.

rimfire
01-25-2018, 01:34 PM

Isn't there a bunch of private land dotted through that area though?

Willstockton20
01-25-2018, 01:36 PM

how far far do you have to go to be outside city limits?

rimfire
01-25-2018, 01:41 PM

It isn't even about city limits though. I'm pretty sure there is private land around there. Stay away from anywhere where there are people or structures. If you are dead set on crown vs the range, my suggestion would be out towards Paska Lake, up one of the logging roads. You have to climb pretty high but there are some open areas. Best bet is to take a look at the usage maps that are available on the gov websites.

russm86
01-25-2018, 02:13 PM
First 8kms of Noble and Oconnor are all essentially "private land" due to the grazing lease. Could go out Jamieson but probably no where really to setup again in the lower 10+km. Batch is off limits until your up past mcqueen lake as the grasslands provincial park you are only allowed to shoot for hunting purposes, no target/recreational shooting and then once out of the park you get into mcqueen lake no shooting area. First several kms of Tranquille/red lake road are also part of the grasslands provincial park and again shooting only for hunting purposes then beyond the park you start heading into rural private properties/homes. If you go far enough up dew drop off the tranquille road you eventually get out of the park but don't remember what km. Then every other way out of town (ie old hwy 5a and hwy to vernon) is essentially lots of private land again. Best bet is probably somewhere up greenstone or orchard lake road. As others have said, probably just as well off to get a membership at Heffley or KTSA. I gave up trying to find spots in the bush a long time ago and I've lived here for almost 32 years and know most of the backroads like the back of my hand, you'll end up driving 5 times further in the bush than to a range and unless you find a road that they've plowed out for logging this time of year good luck.

walks with deer
01-25-2018, 02:14 PM
what part of kamloops did you move to...?

walks with deer
01-25-2018, 02:28 PM
ps congrats on the upgrade in location lol

Willstockton20
01-25-2018, 03:00 PM
I live in pacific way, I heard on a different thread that there is an "unofficial" range kind of thing 6km before the gas station in savona, anyone know if you can still go to this place? Seems like it would be closer to me than tranquille as I live in the Aberdeen-pacific way area

Ferenc
01-26-2018, 01:19 AM

Head up the hill after crossing the tracks couple of switch backs gets ya up to a cattle guard, cross it ... take the first left ... this will take ya into the Red Plateau country ..keep an eye out for the sheep they are always nice to see...heck you can continue on and make the loop to Red lake or up to Porcupine ridge... Carbine Hills behind the lake... or Kelly Flats to the left .. down to Savona ... Nice drive ... if your lookin fer a place to shoot ... there’s tons of places up there...

walks with deer
01-26-2018, 02:44 AM
up on pacific way head back up coquihalla take exit...shoot

Kill-da-wabbit
01-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Go up Bachelor Heights, past Pass lake a couple km's take the rh fork. Drive until the juction with O'Connor lake fsr. Good gravel bank, flat, but usually has garbage around from the kids of sh*tty parents.

bacon_overlord
01-26-2018, 10:23 PM
I live in pacific way, I heard on a different thread that there is an "unofficial" range kind of thing 6km before the gas station in savona, anyone know if you can still go to this place? Seems like it would be closer to me than tranquille as I live in the Aberdeen-pacific way area

Yes there is a pullout with target backers a bench and a garbage can.

Frank grimes
01-27-2018, 06:39 AM
Yes there is a pullout with target backers a bench and a garbage can.

Make sure you use the garbage can. I try to leave that site cleaner then when I came, hate to see the gate get locked.

stinkyduck
01-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Maybe somebody could take the contents of their garbage with them! Kinda like when you go into the bush.

260rem
02-02-2018, 11:03 AM
It's the old Savona Rod and Gun Club range,and it is private land but as long as it is kept clean and cared for the gate will not be locked.Grew up out there and shot hundreds of rounds out there and lots of other people do use it, even had the rcmp stop by for a BS one day while I was checking rifles before hunting season one year.I try to stop by and clean up every now and then.

Jelvis
02-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Head up behind Batchelor thats where everyone I knows go. End of Mara Mtn. Look at your topo map.
--- This is where most guys hunt mule deer too so you can discover both at the same time, Good muley area big four points
Check a map for boundary areas, Look at behind Batchelor see Mara and go to the north end see where you can hunt. Thats where you shoot. All year round it's good.
Wintering areas as well, spring green up too, Also look for shed mule buck antlers now and around the year in here, they drop here and they lay on the ground.
Some 200 class typs have been seen dropped over the decades.
Jel -- more later

vegan22
03-22-2018, 09:56 PM
Best cheap way to find land status, whether alienated or crown is to use the BC Assessment website. Type in any address or often
just a partial and it will respond with assessment info, click on the selections offered if more than one, scroll down a bit to the map,
click on it and mouse out to expand the scale to whatever suits you, then mouse the map around. You can start in Vancouver and
scroll all the way to Dawson Creek if you want to and see all the land status. And they're totally up to date. Gov't burns your house
down, for instance, and you get a ?? letter in 2 weeks. Gotta get those taxes right...anyway, great website.

280 77
03-24-2018, 12:13 PM
If you follow Jelvis's advice you will probably end up with a fine and maybe worse . The area behind batch is considered park land until you go up past about the 18k mark . There used to be an unofficial range a few km up the road close to Mara but it was shut down about 8-9 years ago due to pigs that wouldn't clean up after themselves , (blasted tv's , couches bottles etc.). Oddly enough you can hunt the area once you go up the road about 5km during hunting season but cannot shoot for range practice . I was up there with my bow practicing and was warned by the CO's and told i would be fined if i continued . The best bet is to check with authorities to be certain. Just a heads up.