PDA

View Full Version : Wapiti Wednesday

dana
01-24-2018, 10:55 PM
I took this photo a few weeks ago of a bull I have followed for several years now.

http://i.imgur.com/g5xeFgM.jpg

redthorn
01-24-2018, 11:56 PM
Absolutely Fantastic bull. Is he full 7 on both sides?

Gateholio
01-25-2018, 12:37 AM
This "days of the week" theme is pretty fun. Good to see :)

Weatherby Fan
01-25-2018, 12:51 AM
This "days of the week" theme is pretty fun. Good to see :)

I agree, very good theme dana, thanks for the great pictures.

Seth
01-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Never mind the antlers, check out that cyst in his right ear!

SMOLT333
01-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Great picture, thanks for sharing.

Grumpa Joe
01-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Awesome Pic. Thanks for sharing.

Salty
01-25-2018, 03:31 PM
What are you using for a camera these days dana? Gorgeous bull, great pic.

twoSevenO
01-25-2018, 04:06 PM
What are you using for a camera these days dana? Gorgeous bull, great pic.

He uses a point and shoot. I asked in another thread.

He should consider investing in a used DSLR and a zoom lens :)

I think a decent DSLR can be had for $350-400 used.

I bought a refurbished 55-300mm lens on ebay for $199USD .... pretty cheap way to get into 300mm

twoSevenO
01-25-2018, 04:13 PM
Dana,

here's the same combo that I have Nikon D5100 and 55-300mm for $500.
Unless you're saving big bucks for full frame, this is a pretty cheap way to get 300mm range

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/pho/d/nikon-d5100-withandlens/6419174284.html

Here's a cool shot i took of a sand crane mid-blink with the 300mm lens at 300mm. It's pretty good quality wise

https://i.imgur.com/TM5GeQK.jpg

walks with deer
01-25-2018, 04:48 PM
thats not a cysts...thats last time i went hunting with iron sites...lol

dana
01-25-2018, 05:39 PM
That is an ear tag with the #71 on it. I often wondered how he got that ear tag. Finally a few weeks ago a photographer tagged me in a photo from 2011 where this bull had much of his rack sawed off and was wearing a fresh ear tag. Turns out in his younger years he was very aggressive and liked to chase cars.

dana
01-25-2018, 05:46 PM
He uses a point and shoot. I asked in another thread.

He should consider investing in a used DSLR and a zoom lens :)

I think a decent DSLR can be had for $350-400 used.

I bought a refurbished 55-300mm lens on ebay for $199USD .... pretty cheap way to get into 300mm

I currently like the fact that I can beat the crap out of my Coolpix and there is no consquence. I would not trust buying used online. Way too many people like me that don't take care of stuff. ;) i just play and have fun doing what I do. I will eventually get a real camera and it won't be cheap when I do.

twoSevenO
01-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Fair enough, but stuff that isn't taken care of shows it pretty easily. Also with a DSLR you can get a shutter count that shows how many pics the camera has taken and that's an indication of how much it has been used as well.

Anyways, full frame with a big zoom lens is great for wildlife but crazy expensive .... crazy expensive.

dana
01-25-2018, 06:22 PM
Fair enough, but stuff that isn't taken care of shows it pretty easily. Also with a DSLR you can get a shutter count that shows how many pics the camera has taken and that's an indication of how much it has been used as well.

Anyways, full frame with a big zoom lens is great for wildlife but crazy expensive .... crazy expensive.

Not any more expensive than what many spend on hunting gear these days. I have plenty of friends with giant cameras. If it is your passion, you will find a way to make it work out. For me, I currently like spending my money having adventures and not worrying about perfect image quality. What I get for images is just fine for the memory bank. :)

twoSevenO
01-25-2018, 06:31 PM
Thats probably why I can't afford full frame ..... spent all my money on hunting gear lol .....

eagle eye
01-25-2018, 07:29 PM
Awsome pic.thanks for sharing

Jagermeister
01-25-2018, 07:36 PM
Chasing cars!!! Dam park elk

Bugle M In
01-25-2018, 08:31 PM

Yup, in that case stick with a Canon or Nikon for finding cheaper used zoom lenses. (especially f2.8's)
Way more of them on CL due to more owners of that brand.
All my lenses are used, in mint shape, and so far so good.
Just don't buy Sony if you are trying to keep costs down, but great cameras.

Blainer
01-25-2018, 08:39 PM
Great pictures

twoSevenO
01-25-2018, 09:25 PM
Yup, in that case stick with a Canon or Nikon for finding cheaper used zoom lenses. (especially f2.8's)
Way more of them on CL due to more owners of that brand.
All my lenses are used, in mint shape, and so far so good.
Just don't buy Sony if you are trying to keep costs down, but great cameras.

nikon 300mm f2.8 is around $6-7,000 new!!
If you have one I'd be curious how much you paid for it used? :)

That would be an incredible wildlife lens to own, but it is far far outside my budget.

At 300mm my 55-300 maxes out at f5.6 which is terrible but hey, can't beat $199USD

Bugle M In
01-25-2018, 10:18 PM
nikon 300mm f2.8 is around $6-7,000 new!!
If you have one I'd be curious how much you paid for it used? :)

That would be an incredible wildlife lens to own, but it is far far outside my budget.

At 300mm my 55-300 maxes out at f5.6 which is terrible but hey, can't beat $199USD

Hold on buddy...me, mr money bags.....nope, wrong guy...lol
You did see that part where I said "all" my lenses are "used"...lol
I have a Sony, and I like to look at what peole are selling used as far as lenses go.
The same lens, made by sony, compared to canon, is like 30% more.
Also, Canon and Nikon have a way bigger selection, and way more "end users", so way more used lenses for sale then looking for a used sony.
I was only giving some sound "cheap" advice..lol
But yup, 199$ for a 300mm, is just right!

HarryToolips
01-25-2018, 10:28 PM
Beauty bull..

twoSevenO
01-25-2018, 11:57 PM
Hold on buddy...me, mr money bags.....nope, wrong guy...lol
You did see that part where I said "all" my lenses are "used"...lol
I have a Sony, and I like to look at what peole are selling used as far as lenses go.
The same lens, made by sony, compared to canon, is like 30% more.
Also, Canon and Nikon have a way bigger selection, and way more "end users", so way more used lenses for sale then looking for a used sony.
I was only giving some sound "cheap" advice..lol
But yup, 199$ for a 300mm, is just right!

ah, ok .... somehow I got out of it that you had the 2.8.
Looked it up on ebay to satisfy my curiosity and it looks like some older ones can be had for under $2,000USD.

Dare i say a bargain compared to the new ones for like $6k? lol.

quadrakid
01-26-2018, 10:06 PM
A good nikon set up is a dx camera ,not full frame. a 300mm f4 and a tc 1.4 teleconvertor. The lens and convertor will cost about two grand .great for wildlife etc. It is a tried and true set up that you can handhold. Would i like a longer prime? yes but then you are into big money.

twoSevenO
01-26-2018, 11:10 PM
A good nikon set up is a dx camera ,not full frame. a 300mm f4 and a tc 1.4 teleconvertor. The lens and convertor will cost about two grand .great for wildlife etc. It is a tried and true set up that you can handhold. Would i like a longer prime? yes but then you are into big money.

Yes, but f4 at 1.4TC is f5.6, which is not that great. Not when you have to use a quick shutter speed. If the animal (especially bird) is moving quickly, you don't have a choice but to use a very fast shutter speed. At f5.6 your ISO is going to go up and unless your DX camera can handle higher ISO well it might not turn out that well. I know mine doesn't .... not to my liking anyways. Most of the FX cameras are phenomenal at handling higher ISO numbers.

I shot a few pics of animals that weren't even moving quickly and they turned out way too blurry. In the moment I thought 1/250s was fine but not even close. Turns out my hands were shaking enough to make it very pronounced at 300mm. Live and learn.