PDA

View Full Version : Fishing closure fraser r. mission-hope

kennyg826
08-17-2007, 05:38 AM
Just heard on global news that the fraser river will be closed to all sport fishing from mission to hope as of this sunday midnight (fyi).

Steeleco
08-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Things are looking pretty bleak, I don't fish very often, but the two spots I do happen to use are still under water. Ironic, this year the water is perfect there's just no fish, other years fish everywhere, no water!

Mr. Dean
08-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Maybe I grabbed the last ones around???
Blame it on me... It MUST be my fault.

If there is a problem, it's wide spread. Sox aren't showing anywhere along the coast. US or Canadian waters. I hope that they're just out there havin a good ole time and forgot what curfew was.

Chuck
08-17-2007, 09:52 AM
More bad news.....I hope they don't make a habit of it. Heard it could be because of higher than normal temp of N. Pacific. One thing's for certain - nothings for certain!

Sasquatch
08-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm not sure I buy the global warming argument on this one. Alaska is having a decent run of socks this year and those fish use the same ocean ours do. The west coast of the Island is showing good numbers this year too.
Maybe other places have done a much better job of preserving salmon habitat than we have?

Or, it could just be the fish are late. There was a big panic last year about the lack of coho, but they turned out to just be running late.

Whatever it is, I think the closure of all sockeye fishing is a good idea for the time being.
It's unfortunate they feel it necessary to close the river to all salmon fishing, but they have been threatening it for a while.

mark
08-17-2007, 05:07 PM
I dunno myself, from what I hear from everyone thats fished around Van Isl. has had the best year ever. As for socks, I was fishing scale bar on sunday for springs and pulled about 6 sockeye by 1:00. (no springs though :sad:)

BIGHUNTERFISH
08-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Here it is right off the press.

Effective 00:01 hours Monday August 20, 2007 until further notice, there is no recreational fishing for all Salmon species from the downstream side of the CPR Bridge at Mission upstream to the Highway No. 1 Bridge at Hope, BC.

Current run size estimates of 120,000 Early Summer-run sockeye and 750,000 Summer-run sockeye are significantly below preseason expectations of 690,000 and 3,369,000, respectively. The limited amount of TAC remaining is required for First Nations food, social and ceremonial purposes.

The Departments first priority is to ensure that there is sufficient sockeye escapement to the spawning grounds for conservation purposes. The Department is also committed to providing top priority, after conservation, to First Nations fishing for food, social and ceremonial purposes.

Despite a no fishing for sockeye regulation for the sport fishery, DFO continued to observe and receive reports that sockeye were being encountered in the recreational fishery.

DFO is implementing this salmon closure in the recreational fishery to ensure the above priorities are provided. This salmon closure will be reviewed weekly.

Recreational fishing opportunities for trout, steelhead and sturgeon and other non-salmon species remain open.

Variation order 2007-305 is in effect.

Notes:

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336.

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH.

horshur
08-18-2007, 07:12 PM
you guys think your gonna get it back?

Kechika
08-18-2007, 07:41 PM
I heard rumors of a total closure.No sturgeon or nothing.To many Putz's out there

lip_ripper00
08-18-2007, 07:55 PM
I heard rumors of a total closure.No sturgeon or nothing.To many Putz's out there

I heard the putz's were killing sockeye saying the where springs:mad:. be interesting to see what happens when 19 million :rolleyes: pinks show up.

Silent Wolf
08-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Good to see, Dam BBing is poaching!

They never had this problem before they opened the river up to that dam thing BBing!

Nice to see DFO with a set of BALLS for a change, good to see people listened to DFO to when they asked for people to change there way of fishing and they didn't they are the ones to blame now!

In my eyes close the river down to everyone not just sporties but my people also! Food fishery my @$$, dope and car money more like it!

SW

SHAKER
08-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Unfortunatly not all people feel the way you do. But I can't arugue some of your points. I guess I might actually agree with you this time!