PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Focus: Is it time?

Greenthumbed
01-23-2018, 09:15 PM
https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/shifting-focus-is-it-time/

This is a letter from WSSBC to its members asking an important question: Is it time to start investing time and money into our image as hunters to the non-hunting community?

I think it's time...

What do you think??

brownmancheng
01-23-2018, 09:24 PM
Great article, couldn't agree more. as a matter of fact I think I am going to join the society

Greenthumbed
01-23-2018, 09:27 PM
Great article, couldn't agree more. as a matter of fact I think I am going to join the society
Hey! Good for you, Brown Man! Glad to hear it!
I joined up not too long ago myself.

Asp
01-24-2018, 06:46 AM
This is great news. Wildlife has never had a voice that has had the vision to go down the road of investing cold cash to ensure the non hunting community is educated on who and what we really are and the challenges our wildlife face! Between this and the ungulate foundation we may be actually getting to a point where wildlife and our way of life is promoted in a professional positive manner and actually stand up to the anti hunting factions. Looking forward to donating to this endeavour

great work Wssbc !!

russm86
01-24-2018, 08:21 AM
I think so!

Ride Red
01-24-2018, 08:53 AM
https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/shifting-focus-is-it-time/

This is a letter from WSSBC to its members asking an important question: Is it time to start investing time and money into our image as hunters to the non-hunting community?

I think it's time...

What do you think??

We've been in need of a strong marketing campaign for many years now. This hide our sport mentality that has been pushed over the last few years has given us a worse image than being front and center. IT"S TIME!!!

SpottedPony
01-24-2018, 09:32 AM
It’s time, and what WSSBC is considering to undertake has the potential to be one of the most positive moves undertaken in this province for the benefit of our hunting heritage!
Thanks WSSBC and the guys that put their heads together to consider this initiative!

pg83
01-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Here's some extra incentive if you haven't already joined!

https://i0.wp.com/www.wildsheepsociety.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Membership-Drive-Italian-Sporting-Goods.jpg?ssl=1

Red_Mist
01-24-2018, 12:29 PM
I like what I read. I will look into a membership. Maybe this already happens to some extent but I sure hope our organizations (the hunting community) liaise with each other to further promote this social rebranding through marketing.

Deaddog
01-25-2018, 07:35 PM
Any organizations that are willing to change tactics and become more aggressive in promoting hunting and our way of life should receive support from all user groups

Stone Sheep Steve
01-25-2018, 07:41 PM
Any organizations that are willing to change tactics and become more aggressive in promoting hunting and our way of life should receive support from all user groups

Welcome back DD!

Wild one
01-26-2018, 07:39 AM
This is something that should be backed by all hunters

Ltbullken
01-26-2018, 10:02 AM
Absolutely! We need a coherent strategy to start promoting our image while undertaking worthy causes to counter the anti rhetoric. I hope this is on the WSS Convention agenda coming up!

Ltbullken
01-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Some ideas:

- all hunting, fish/game clubs and organizations need to commit to regular habitat and conservation projects and do media and social media releases about them
- raffles and other fund-raising activities for give-away 'dream hunts' to support sick kids or individuals who would never be able to hunt or hunt again - splashed all over media - a lot of conventions are directed to support of the organization and membership. Need to broaden that thinking.
- stock posters and images that convey conservation, pro-hunting messages
- talking points and conversation strategies that all hunters can use in the public when questions or challenges arise
- advocacy with politicians done by the backing of organized hunting/conservation groups so that politicians know there is money and votes that are on the line
- develop strategies and talking points that assert why hunting is a noble, valuable and healthy choice (i.e. - clean food, you eat store meat - I eat clean meat, we all have a choice about our food sources, our ancestors went hunting to survive, circle of life, etc.)
- develop a list of and promote sensible hunting-related practices that don't draw the ire of peta-sensitive social media (i.e. we need to behave in a way that doesn't give anti's ammunition)
- develop programs that target opportunities to grow hunting like women in hunting, children's programs, activities like that. The biggest growing group in hunting right now is coming from women. What is the hunting community doing to tap into, support and promote that growth?
- how are the hunting groups cooperating and communicating with each other: BCWF, GOABC, F & G clubs, WSS, DU, First Nations communities. This fight will all land on our door step one day.
- what are other organizations doing where the anti crowd is in full fight?

This may challenge some of the status quo, old time hunter crowd (because we tend to be conservative and stuck in our views! ;P). But we need to realize that we may be embarking on the 'battle of our lives' in defending our heritage and we need to adapt, be conscious of our actions and be way more savvy and coordinated in our response about how we promote our actions and image.

SpottedPony
01-26-2018, 04:03 PM
Some ideas:

- all hunting, fish/game clubs and organizations need to commit to regular habitat and conservation projects and do media and social media releases about them
- raffles and other fund-raising activities for give-away 'dream hunts' to support sick kids or individuals who would never be able to hunt or hunt again - splashed all over media - a lot of conventions are directed to support of the organization and membership. Need to broaden that thinking.
- stock posters and images that convey conservation, pro-hunting messages
- talking points and conversation strategies that all hunters can use in the public when questions or challenges arise
- advocacy with politicians done by the backing of organized hunting/conservation groups so that politicians know there is money and votes that are on the line
- develop strategies and talking points that assert why hunting is a noble, valuable and healthy choice (i.e. - clean food, you eat store meat - I eat clean meat, we all have a choice about our food sources, our ancestors went hunting to survive, circle of life, etc.)
- develop a list of and promote sensible hunting-related practices that don't draw the ire of peta-sensitive social media (i.e. we need to behave in a way that doesn't give anti's ammunition)
- develop programs that target opportunities to grow hunting like women in hunting, children's programs, activities like that. The biggest growing group in hunting right now is coming from women. What is the hunting community doing to tap into, support and promote that growth?
- how are the hunting groups cooperating and communicating with each other: BCWF, GOABC, F & G clubs, WSS, DU, First Nations communities. This fight will all land on our door step one day.
- what are other organizations doing where the anti crowd is in full fight?

This may challenge some of the status quo, old time hunter crowd (because we tend to be conservative and stuck in our views! ;P). But we need to realize that we may be embarking on the 'battle of our lives' in defending our heritage and we need to adapt, be conscious of our actions and be way more savvy and coordinated in our response about how we promote our actions and image.

Excellent post!

Ourea
01-26-2018, 04:42 PM
Hopefully we can start by keeping a thread like this on track FOR ONCE!!!

Dedicating funding, that builds awareness and ultimately acceptance to the non-hunting community, is the universal strategy regardless of who drives the bus.

horshur
01-26-2018, 05:47 PM
Just don't preach to the choir...I guess maybe a page from raincoast social science experiment on this hunting forum..take any advice from avid hunters with a grain of salt. Hunters is not who you need to convert.

Pemby_mess
01-26-2018, 08:16 PM
Just don't preach to the choir...I guess maybe a page from raincoast social science experiment on this hunting forum..take any advice from avid hunters with a grain of salt. Hunters is not who you need to convert.

ahh.....there ya go Horshur! Good point, I agree.

two-feet
01-26-2018, 09:06 PM
These old, established, hunter based conservation groups like the wild sheep society, rocky mountain elk, ducks unlimited have done some heavy lifting over the years. Judt to get the general public to see the work they have done would be a huge step for all of us. Hats off to these conservationists.

Asp
01-29-2018, 06:21 AM
Another example of why we need to get active and stand up to the antis. Larry pynn spewing more of his fake tabloid quality news

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-releases-documents-revealing-hunting-culture-among-conservation-officers/amp

.264winmag
01-29-2018, 07:36 AM
I'm not sure why a co should be frowned upon for legally enjoying hunting and the outdoors away from work...

boxhitch
01-29-2018, 07:44 AM
off the rails already

.264winmag
01-29-2018, 08:08 AM
off the rails already
Sorry, weather days on the coast I get bored. I'll shut up n go to work...

Asp
01-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Not off the rails at all. Simply an example of what we are up against and why some group, any group needs to stand up and organize a public campaign against these ongoing attacks on hunting. If no group stands up to lead this we will continue to lose every single “fight” as we have for the last two decades!

Ltbullken
01-29-2018, 09:49 AM
Look at the Vancouver Sun newspaper this morning. There will be a steady drip-drip and flow of attacks on hunting while this sympathetic government is in power. We better get organized quickly folks, and stop complaining, or say good bye to hunting.

Ltbullken
01-29-2018, 09:51 AM
These old, established, hunter based conservation groups like the wild sheep society, rocky mountain elk, ducks unlimited have done some heavy lifting over the years. Judt to get the general public to see the work they have done would be a huge step for all of us. Hats off to these conservationists.

Fair enough. But it is about marketing and strategy that coordinates and focuses us all. All the heavy lifting in the world is baseless unless we can deliver the message to the wider community.

Wild one
01-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Fair enough. But it is about marketing and strategy that coordinates and focuses us all. All the heavy lifting in the world is baseless unless we can deliver the message to the wider community.

The proposal being put put forth by the WSSBC in my opinion is a step in the right direction and long over due

This needs support

One BC hunters really need to consider is supporting organizations with an international backing as well. Antis are bringing support on an international level already hunters in BC need to do the same.

Supporting local is good but as an example recognize we have a small SCI chapter in BC and with support they can help bring more to the table as well

Antis are bringing support from outside BC and we will be drowned out if we don’t do the same

SpottedPony
01-29-2018, 10:31 AM
The proposal being put put forth by the WSSBC in my opinion is a step in the right direction and long over due

This needs support

One BC hunters really need to consider is supporting organizations with an international backing as well. Antis are bringing support on an international level already hunters in BC need to do the same.

Supporting local is good but as an example recognize we have a small SCI chapter in BC and with support they can help bring more to the table as well

Antis are bringing support from outside BC and we will be drowned out if we don’t do the same

SCI is in the loop on BC’s anti hunting issue, they fully support new messaging going forward.
It has been discussed at the national level.

Darksith
01-29-2018, 10:35 AM
of course it is. We are losing a battle that we aren't even in! If you want to get your way, you need to campaign, raise awareness, actively lobby the public and politicians. We as a community don't do enough of this. A few guys on facebook does not equal an educated effective comminication strategy.

To expand on things stated above...groups like DU, WSSBC etc etc that have done the heavy lifting...its time to start taking credit where credit is due. Toot your own horn, prove to the world that our wildlifes success is because of these organizations and the hunting community not despite them. We have to have a massive advertising budget, its unfortunate but true that some of our $ needs to get diverted from the conservation and put into advertising

Ltbullken
01-29-2018, 10:43 AM

This needs support

Well said! Totally agree. Hunters should be joining some organization now!

Walking Buffalo
01-29-2018, 11:11 AM
"If someone says they are against huntinglook at this as an opportunity.
Ask them why they are opposed to hunting and more importantly listen to what they have to say. "

This quote from the letter is So important.

Instead of starting a rant on why hunting is good and even necessary, found out WHY a person is opposed to hunting.

Often their position is based on misinformation.

With this identified, it can be easy to offer facts that will allow the person to reconsider their position.

And give them time. No one easily changes their core beliefs in an instant. Let the facts brew.

Hunters can have a significant impact on non-hunting perceptions. It doesn't take an organization or a media campaign to be successful, it just takes tact.

Educating hunters on behaviour and discussion points for communication to non-hunters is invaluable.

In the end, it will come down to each one of us making an effort. If each hunter made a positive impression to four non-hunters, the balance of public opinion will be in "our" favour.

But let's not be blind to the various avenues anti-hunting advocates are taking.

Organizations such as WSSBC are needed to co-ordinate against more complex threats such as anti-hunting biased 'Science".

blacklab
01-29-2018, 11:30 AM
You would think we as hunters could come up with and support an organization where the focus is on hunting period. Not species, trophy, resident, licensed or unlicensed oriented. A group that focuses on species that we hunt, and is welcoming to all.
I think there is a group of unaffiliated clubs and individuals looking for a place to park their energy, time and money.
It would have to be able to be politically active and a stand alone organization.

Wild one
01-29-2018, 11:58 AM
SCI is in the loop on BC’s anti hunting issue, they fully support new messaging going forward.
It has been discussed at the national level.

Correct and hunters should be supporting the effort of both organizations is all I am suggesting

Give the movement more power is all

boxhitch
01-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Not off the rails at all. .........Then we get a different reading

the ??? is
Is it time to start investing time and money into our image as hunters to the non-hunting community?Should a previously non-political, non-partisan wildlife conservation focused group change it colours, change its mission statement, change its mandate ?
We all know what needs to be done. Do you members want the WSSoBC to be the one to do it?

Ltbullken
01-29-2018, 12:32 PM
To use a military term... we are now engaged in an 'information operation.'

Wild one
01-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Then we get a different reading

the ??? is Should a previously non-political, non-partisan wildlife conservation focused group change it colours, change its mission statement, change its mandate ?
We all know what needs to be done. Do you members want the WSSoBC to be the one to do it?

Does it really matter who gets the job done?

If the WSSBC wants to stand on this issue to benefit hunting good on them

Ourea
01-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Does it really matter who gets the job done?

If the WSSBC wants to stand on this issue to benefit hunting good on them

Post of the year.

There's been a wake up call.
Become active anyway you can.
Club level.....organizations....political influence.
Find your niche and contribute.

Rackmastr
01-29-2018, 02:09 PM
the ??? is Should a previously non-political, non-partisan wildlife conservation focused group change it colours, change its mission statement, change its mandate ?

I believe every conservation or hunting organization (and more importantly members and hunters) should be doing this and should be committing funds towards it. No one group should be doing it. Every group needs to take a hard look at themselves and what's important moving forward. Again, the group can only do so much by leading, it's up to the members to be actively carrying out the mandate throughout the year.

This isn't political and it's not partisan at all. It's educating and informing and ensuring the long term success of wildlife management and the ability to experience all that is hunting and enjoying wildlife.

I'm not sure how members of an organization would not support something like this, but I'd imagine there may be some with their heads in the sand hoping to continue doing the same thing we've been doing while expecting different results....

Wild one
01-29-2018, 02:32 PM
I believe every conservation or hunting organization (and more importantly members and hunters) should be doing this and should be committing funds towards it. No one group should be doing it. Every group needs to take a hard look at themselves and what's important moving forward. Again, the group can only do so much by leading, it's up to the members to be actively carrying out the mandate throughout the year.

This isn't political and it's not partisan at all. It's educating and informing and ensuring the long term success of wildlife management and the ability to experience all that is hunting and enjoying wildlife.

I'm not sure how members of an organization would not support something like this, but I'd imagine there may be some with their heads in the sand hoping to continue doing the same thing we've been doing while expecting different results....

Well said and exactly how I see it

BromBones
01-29-2018, 03:00 PM
This would be a step in the right direction.

I started pestering hunters to do this very thing a few years ago. Mostly falls on deaf ears, but the grizzly bear ban was a wake up call for many.

Best defense is a good offense. The hunting community has always been on the defensive, trying to justify that what we do is OK every time an anti-hunting group starts in on another attack. The attitude that we can stay under the radar and hope we get left alone doesn't work in this day and age.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-29-2018, 04:12 PM
This would be a step in the right direction.

I started pestering hunters to do this very thing a few years ago. Mostly falls on deaf ears, but the grizzly bear ban was a wake up call for many.

Best defense is a good offense. The hunting community has always been on the defensive, trying to justify that what we do is OK every time an anti-hunting group starts in on another attack. The attitude that we can stay under the radar and hope we get left alone doesn't work in this day and age.

Welcome back BB!

BromBones
01-29-2018, 04:27 PM
Welcome back BB!

Thanks! It's been a few years I guess

Asp
01-29-2018, 04:43 PM
Here is an example of exactly the kind of messaging that needs to get out. Shows multiple stakeholders working together! Hopefully this is the start of a new way of doing business

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxjJCiR8Ero

Pemby_mess
01-29-2018, 09:43 PM
Here is an example of exactly the kind of messaging that needs to get out. Shows multiple stakeholders working together! Hopefully this is the start of a new way of doing business

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxjJCiR8Ero

two thumbs up!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxjJCiR8Ero&app=desktop

01-29-2018, 09:58 PM
Wow, this is so good to see.

Lets hope others are watching.

Trailblazer
02-02-2018, 11:31 AM
That is great to see. Totally something I support. Thanks for sharing!