PDA

View Full Version : The "People who just don't give a shiit" thread

Ohwildwon
01-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Reopening B.C. forest service road further endangers northeast caribou: ministry
Provincial officials hope the public can help identify the people who interfered with a caribou recovery program in northeastern British Columbia by trying to reopen part of a closed back country road.

http://vancouversun.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/reopening-b-c-forest-service-road-further-endangers-northeast-caribou-ministry/wcm/a3653bbc-9bed-4b0e-af29-91bf45a62502

butthead
01-22-2018, 10:09 PM
i wonder how many caribou were killed because some one open the road back up.
there should be some kind of scientific evidence.

brownmancheng
01-22-2018, 10:11 PM
140k to deactivate a rd? going to be real hard to put our money to good use with those amounts of costs

walks with deer
01-22-2018, 10:32 PM
hmm cant be that hard to figure out..tumbler ridge isnt that big.

Buckmeister
01-22-2018, 11:06 PM
"The ministry says the closure was intended to discourage people and predators from using the road to reach areas where the herd could be found."

Deactivating a road to keep people out is one thing. But stating that a deactivated road discourages predators???? That's a bit hard to swallow.

Treed
01-22-2018, 11:08 PM
No - there shouldn't have to be some sort of 'scientific' evidence. They should just be fined or jailed for thinking they get their own way on crown land.

Drillbit
01-23-2018, 12:53 AM
What a complete BS article and waste of resources.

Brez
01-23-2018, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=Buckmeister;1976490]"The ministry says the closure was intended to discourage people and predators from using the road to reach areas where the herd could be found."

No Sh1t!! Another thing I just dreeamed up... with all of this doom and gloom and impending end-of-the-world stuff, maybe no one does give a $hit and are grabbing all that they can while they can.

Bugle M In
01-23-2018, 01:02 AM
Hate to say this, but since the Anti's don't want to support wolf culling and do sweet F'all to ensure that these Caribou will survive.
And since Moose had to take a kicking, to try and help Caribou survive, because we can't kill wolves etc.
Is it just me, that sometimes I think ministry would have just been better off, putting those last few Caribou out of their misery???
Time to pack them up, and trailer them to the zoo! and then reintroduce a breeding program and then 50 years from now we can just release them all again, in our newly re-freshened forests from major fires, and in an area that has now had ample opportunity for all the wolves to have died off due to starvation!
The cheapest and most efficient way I see it:mrgreen:

Brez
01-23-2018, 11:37 AM
Hate to say this, but since the Anti's don't want to support wolf culling and do sweet F'all to ensure that these Caribou will survive.
And since Moose had to take a kicking, to try and help Caribou survive, because we can't kill wolves etc.
Is it just me, that sometimes I think ministry would have just been better off, putting those last few Caribou out of their misery???
Time to pack them up, and trailer them to the zoo! and then reintroduce a breeding program and then 50 years from now we can just release them all again, in our newly re-freshened forests from major fires, and in an area that has now had ample opportunity for all the wolves to have died off due to starvation!
The cheapest and most efficient way I see it:mrgreen:
I tend to think along those lines for our almost non-existant caribou herd on the Salmo/Creston ranges. There is very little mature forest for them left now.

Busterpayton54
01-23-2018, 12:27 PM
Not to cast doubt but I have seen roads deactivated in a manner of the most impenetrable tangle of downed trees imaginable. I have no doubt animals would avoid using those roads for travel. I've examined some of these very roads on google earth to see that entire stretches 10-20-30km done like this.

finngun
01-23-2018, 12:48 PM
"The ministry says the closure was intended to discourage people and predators from using the road to reach areas where the herd could be found."

Deactivating a road to keep people out is one thing. But stating that a deactivated road discourages predators???? That's a bit hard to swallow.
Ahh these predators to day are well educated,,just put traffic sign there ,,,no meat eaters allowed..:mrgreen:

finaddict
01-23-2018, 01:43 PM
Ahh these predators to day are well educated,,just put traffic sign there ,,,no meat eaters allowed..:mrgreen:I agree. I mean, I have seen all those commercials with cute bears walking and talking and read about the wolves frolicking and playing with the puppies at Tofino.......

dakoda62
01-23-2018, 02:04 PM
140.000 to deactivate, what the hell did they pave it first.

Bugle M In
01-23-2018, 02:28 PM
140.000 to deactivate, what the hell did they pave it first.

See, now if your correct, and I am assuming you meant 140,000$, that is why most of the spur roads in logging are
never properly deactivated.
Most of the trenches you see re probably for waster run off, like a culvert, and there are some roads which they do
trench out super deep, but any creature can still walk it.
But, at 140 grand, Forestry Companies will not want to pay that out of pocket after doing a cut block.
Throwing all that debris back over a road is a great concept, IMO, and I can see if done right, that no creature may want to use it, not even as a game trail.

Pemby_mess
01-23-2018, 02:59 PM

important to remember though - a road with packed snow, (from people) is a whole lot easier for predators to make good ground on. The existence of the road itself is less important.

BRvalley
01-23-2018, 03:11 PM
when this was first posted in the fall it had the same negative attitude, pretty sad...

wolves travel easier on linear features, which increases hunting opportunity, aka higher kill rate....what they're doing is not the typical road deactivation, pull out a few culverts that any lifted truck or quad can drive through, it's more of a road re-naturalization

most on here tend to agree wolves need to be managed, this road deactivation is a non lethal option, management includes more than simply trying to kill wolves (where the average hunter is not even remotely effective)... the road in question leads to a calving area which is part of the project...we have gov't, local FN and industry working together on this, why are we ridiculing these efforts??

https://www.cosia.ca/uploads/files/casestudies/Dickie_et_al_2016_EView_FasterandFarther.pdf

http://davidmoskowitz.net/2016/04/klinse-za-caribou-maternal-penning-project/

butthead
01-23-2018, 05:27 PM
Not to cast doubt but I have seen roads deactivated in a manner of the most impenetrable tangle of downed trees imaginable. I have no doubt animals would avoid using those roads for travel. I've examined some of these very roads on google earth to see that entire stretches 10-20-30km done like this.

what to you think that cost us to deactivate 30k of road we already paid for

S.W.A.T.
01-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Logging company probably paid for the rd on deactivating

Sitkaspruce
01-23-2018, 08:39 PM
The road was an experiment in deactivation to see if it would deter or reduce predator activity. The road was mounded, trenched, covered with debris, all trying to reduce line of site and travel corridors of mainly wolves. The road was expensive to deactivate, and no, a poor logging company did not pay for it, it was an FSR and was deactivated with $$$ from the government, local supports, FN's and wildlife groups (HCF and possibly BC Hydro's compensation program).

It cost $20000 to re-deactivate the road and you can bet there will be cameras and more of a watch over the area.

Since we have a mountain of momentum against the killing of wolves, the boots on the ground people are trying different things to see if anything will work. Lets not be key board warriors and bash those who are trying........

Cheers

SS

Bugle M In
01-23-2018, 11:30 PM
The road was an experiment in deactivation to see if it would deter or reduce predator activity. The road was mounded, trenched, covered with debris, all trying to reduce line of site and travel corridors of mainly wolves. The road was expensive to deactivate, and no, a poor logging company did not pay for it, it was an FSR and was deactivated with $$$ from the government, local supports, FN's and wildlife groups (HCF and possibly BC Hydro's compensation program).

It cost $20000 to re-deactivate the road and you can bet there will be cameras and more of a watch over the area.

Since we have a mountain of momentum against the killing of wolves, the boots on the ground people are trying different things to see if anything will work. Lets not be key board warriors and bash those who are trying........

Cheers

SS

Yes, I shouldn't have made a joke over the issue.
I don't mean to take away from the folks trying, so yes, I was wrong.
Just trying to make light of the situation with all the other bs going on in the province and hunting and anti's etc.
So, if I insulted somebody for the efforts, my apologies.