PDA

View Full Version : Old Timer Wisdom

dana
08-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Jelvis' threads have got me thinkin. Why is it that many dismiss the info as not being good just because it's dated? The fact is, 99% of what has been posted is top notch info. It seems many of the young generation miss the handed down knowledge of the old timers. They go out and flounder on their own and somehow think they know best. Some of you really need a swift kick in the a$$ (Steepdeep). Weren't you ever taught to respect your elders? :twisted:

Here's the goods. I personally have hunted many many areas of this great province. I grew up in Kelowna and my old man taught me where to hunt. The Christian Valley, Monashee Pass, Greystokes, Okanagan Mtn ect... These are all areas that have been historically good producers of deer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/BlackMtnMonster.jpg
From Kelowna we moved to Peachland. While we had hunted the famed Saddle numerous times cause my aunt lives at it's base, that is all we knew of 8-8. The first year we were there, we were shown the local hidey holes, like Buck Heaven, the Piggery, Keys, Katheleen and Baldy. We were shown these areas by long time Peachland hunters who had learned these areas from their elders. We learned where the deer would be when. My dad took a great buck off of Buck Heaven the 2nd or 3rd fall we had hunted it. Here is a pic of it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/April8002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/April8006.jpg

I ended up taking some decent bucks from these areas as well. The moral is we learned these areas from the knowledge of the old timers. Now it's been 15+ years since I hunted Kelowna and Peachland. But you know what? I'm sure I wouldn't have any trouble finding some good solid bucks in those old hang outs. Sure, timber is logged and then it greens up, but the areas and the game never change.
When I came to the North Thompson, I quickly learned to sit and listen to the wisdom of the old timers. And the spots I hunt in Region 3 are a result of putting that wisdom together, fitting the pieces of the puzzle. Even though I feel I know my home turf really well, I still ask the old timers a ton of questions and I still am learning.

BCLongshot
08-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Yap I agree !!!

Your old man looks like a Hell of a Stud !

I see he has on jeans and a red jacket, OH MY GOSH NO CAMMO lol lol

I personally like my bib overalls, as you can tell. I have a new black pair for church and funerals.

Gateholio
08-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Dana, great pics and a good lesson..

I always listen to the old timers..They are just old, not stupid....And often they have already shot enough deer to not worry about sharing crucial information- especially if you can understand it.

I just wish I could have grown up in a hunting family, believe me it helps. Take note all you fathers and mothers!:grin:

wsm
08-16-2007, 08:45 PM
believe me i have asked jelvis a ton of questions. and my uncle who checks on guys like us in the field. if i ask to many more i may wear out my welcome. jelvis has been awsome , and given me excellent advise

patbrennan
08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Dana, good post. I'm happy to talk with the oldtimers just to hear the history and relive the excitement with them. That buck your dad has mounted is a beauty, but you already know that.
Like Gatehouse I had to learn on my own mostly , and I'm not that quick sometimes so many mistakes have been made, and I'm not done yet!

browningboy
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
I think Dana is speaking wisdom beyond his years! Anyhow I agree and always listen to the elders, hell I'm on the lines of I'm the first hunting generation in my family and plan to pass it onto my children as I wished someone would have with me. The rest of my immediate family doesn't agree with it but I say I am who I am if you don't like it beat it! LOL
Sorry steering a little off track!:wink:

Will
08-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Red Coat and a Levergun ?...............:-?
How did they ever manage to put the Bucks down back then ? :wink:

Great Pics Dana.........My GrandFather was the Hunter in my Family.....he Passed on when I was much too young to appreciate him and the Knowledge he took with him, sure I have his Gunz but without the Hand that held them they are just Gunz.... :-|

BTW he also packed a Savage 99 levergun.....No scope or spotter, no camo, no Miendles, no grunt tubes, no quads or scent lock Gonch !

WOW I'm still amazed Man killed anything before the Quad came along !:)

mark
08-16-2007, 09:09 PM
My Grandpa was a hunter also, and did give me his guns before he died. He never had any real great hunting tips or advise, because he just went for a drive when does and cow moose were both open, filled the truck and went home! Or got pissed with his buddies for a few days if they were camping!

frenchbar
08-16-2007, 09:10 PM
ive been lucky .ive had good fortune of having a dad that loves to hunt,knowing a lot of the old time guides and hunters in my area hasnt hurt either.ive learned most of what i know about where muley bucks will be throughout the season siiting around the camp fires firing questions at them.so if ya get a chance to talk to the old timers..listen to them they know what there talking about...thanks for the pics Steve. 14 days till freedom.

srupp
08-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Great post dana I started the growing up process in Kelowna(its STILL far from complete) hunted Beverdell..Peachland above the old cemetary there were no houses..and no connector highway...
One of the best threads posted here....

Steven

horshur
08-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Your just saying that cause your getting pretty damn old yourself:tongue: I was old before my time which is why you are such a good hunter now:wink:

Elkhound
08-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I like Gates wish I had old timers in the family to learn from.....but I listen at the clubs to all woh want to help a youg hunter learn. They can be very helpful. Old timers are like the internet...a lot of wisdom and a lot of BS:lol:

dana
08-16-2007, 09:29 PM
You definately were old before your time alright. Might not have been because you had special knowledge, probably more likely the horseshoes that were firmly placed up your a$$ since birth. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Andyelk.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/CVMuleypack.jpg

browningboy
08-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Dana, I don't think its just horseshoes, I think the whole horse is up your arse!:shock:
Nice elk!

Jelvis
08-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey, Looky is a lot older than I am ok, seriously, you hunters are the best, every one on this site is interesting and knowledgeable in their own way. Young hunters, to older hunters are all good. Dana your right, I learned from my Dad and Uncle too, and your Dad was a real hunter. That is a great mule deer buck he got, wow. He taught you well, like your doing also, keep it up. This site is very entertaining and informative as you already know. The mods are smart and I look up to some body that can do that job so well. Steep is fine he wants to see the pictures, just like the ones Steve put here, nothing wrong with that. Someone on the site here said, theres no stupid questions concerning hunting, and that includes wsm and every body, including us older hunters, this isn't about one hunter, this is about hunting in BC, for every one. All you hunters make this site what it is, a funtastic one, that helps others in lots of ways. Keep it going strong it's great to have, now on with the hunting stuff Jel

dana
08-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Browningboy,
That's Horshur's elk. The horseshoes even followed him into his life work. :)

Jelvis, Keep up postin what you are posting. I'm sure many find it informative and it will help the newbees out greatly. This province has the best hunting in the world. These mild winters that we've been having stacked one on top of each other are making Great hunting even better as the animals are reaching their full potential. Big Bucks and Bulls can be had pretty much in most units that they live. Finding them is the tuff part. But that's hunting ain't it?

BCrams
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Great thread by Steve !! Some of the best knowledge I have ever gained were from talking to the "old timers" who hunted back in the day and passed down that knowledge of past hunting areas etc. I have found some of these areas to be 'forgotten' today and they provide great hunting now.

Just because I'm a hunting junkie, I've added to the knowledge base that I can pass down to others.

pupper
08-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Yap I agree !!!

Your old man looks like a Hell of a Stud !

I see he has on jeans and a red jacket, OH MY GOSH NO CAMMO lol lol

I personally like my bib overalls, as you can tell. I have a new black pair for church and funerals.

what about the white ones you wear to weddings :wink:

browningboy
08-16-2007, 09:41 PM
My bad, but still nice elk, and notice another east end smoking jacket (aka the mack!);)

dana
08-16-2007, 09:47 PM
LOL! Had the kids with me while I was shopping at Value Village a couple months ago and I found a mac jacket. It was the perfect size for my son, but he didn't want it. Oh well, I guess there are some things you can't pass on. :)

BCrams
08-16-2007, 09:50 PM
I have my grandfathers Mack and I'll still wear it hunting moose and grouse on those nice fall days. My father has his own mack and wears it hunting nearly for everything.

270WIN
08-16-2007, 09:51 PM
i was brought in to hunting from my dad and lurned most of my stuff from older people old saying goes you need experience and well as stated early you have thouse guys who think they now it all well no one can know it all. i feel these guys are book smart not field smart and well i sooner lurn from field smart. not saying books are not a good way as i have lurned alot from books but it putting it to the field and well as i get older i hope to pass it down as most of are fathers have done the same.

i have lurned loads from this sight from young and older.

horshur
08-16-2007, 09:59 PM
LOL! Had the kids with me while I was shopping at Value Village a couple months ago and I found a mac jacket. It was the perfect size for my son, but he didn't want it. Oh well, I guess there are some things you can't pass on. :)

He didn't want it--kids these days.:?
jeez I came home with a pioneer cruiser wool coat for my kid from penny pinchers was 2.50 --boy better like it money don't grow on trees around here.

browningboy
08-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Horshor, hell of an elk, can't wait to get one myself of that size! but I guess if you had everything you actually have nothing!;-)
Thats part of what makes us go back year after year.

dana
08-16-2007, 10:05 PM
I did manage to find a nice wool coat that he likes. Here's a pic from the weekend. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug12073.jpg

browningboy
08-16-2007, 10:09 PM
I did manage to find a nice wool coat that he likes. Here's a pic from the weekend. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug12073.jpg
Thats the pre-east end smoking jacket, next level green, then blue and once you've made it----red!
Looks like you're plunking gophers and having a good time, looks like fun!:D

dana
08-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Plucking targets getting him ready for Sept 1 Youth Deer. First 10 shots in the bullseye. I think he's ready. :)

wsm
08-16-2007, 10:17 PM
270 after all these year you still haven't learned to take the left

Fisher-Dude
08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Lots of mackinaws in these pics from the "old days" of my mentors (bear with me, I've got lotsa pics to share):

My Dad, E Kootenay elk

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Aug02100837.jpg

Dad, Okanagan deer

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Aug4scan0002.jpg

"Uncle" Jack, Princeton goat, with my brother Eastkoot

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Augscan0002.jpg

"Uncle" Louis (not Looky Louis!) and me, Okanagan deer took a beating that day

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Augscan0003.jpg

horshur
08-16-2007, 10:25 PM
great pics fish!

Fisher-Dude
08-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Workbee at our cabin, "Uncle" Caesar, "Uncle" Louis, "Uncle" Jack building the statue - lots of outdoors wisdom here

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/AAugscan0002.jpg

They got me started on birds...Little White grouse hunt, Bear Lake grouse hunt, Mission Creek mallards (imagine walking down the Greenway now hunting ducks - cops and helicopter would be there fast!)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Aug1scan0001.jpg

Eastkoot and I start to put our mentor's teachings to good use, circa 1978 - note the homemade cedar packboard I'm using, it weighed as much as the elk quarter, and had bare leather straps, no padding or belly strap

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/AAAugscan0001.jpg

interceptor
08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
These are some great pics, I love the history of hunting especially when it is presented by the family members of passed hunters.

Great stuff.

Cheers Noel

hunter1947
08-17-2007, 07:33 AM
Great pic Dana ,thanks for sharing them with us all ,your dad took some real nice animals in his life time ,you were lucky to have a dad that could share his knowledge with you and others.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

pupper
08-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Thats great!

My Dad was never interested in fishing or hunting as I grew up.

I always loved fishing and hunting as a kid but had to learn it and get into the sport on my own. My father in law is into hunting though, so thats great.

I am going to passdown what I learn to my kids, and I already have helped my younger brothers have success in the field.

Its our part of our heritage to pass hunting down to the next generations, the lack of just that is what is causing such an anti movement, due to all the lack of education.

browningboy
08-17-2007, 07:50 AM
Nice pics FD! Looks like your family is quite involved with the outdoors, thats awesome!:-)

Steeleco
08-17-2007, 08:17 AM
The older I get, the less I know!! My first "serious" hunting trip was into Trimble Lake, my wifes uncle has lived those hills near all of his 65+ years, guiding, hunting, packing etc.

It was the best week of education I've ever had, if only I could get another week with the teach!!!

one-shot-wonder
08-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Great pics boys!

I love seeing the old days, and what went down then.

Keep the Wisdom coming!

rollingrock
08-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Great pics from both Dana and FD! Wow!

Caveman
08-17-2007, 09:33 AM
My Grandpa was a hunter also, and did give me his guns before he died. He never had any real great hunting tips or advise, because he just went for a drive when does and cow moose were both open, filled the truck and went home! Or got pissed with his buddies for a few days if they were camping!

My dad and grandather and uncles were alot the same. Hunting was just to put food in the mouths of the family. If a trophy came along great but that wasn't the point then. When I started, the first legal animal as well went down. Now however, at least when it comes to deer I like to hold out for the "Big One". As long as the freezer's full of moose or what have you I'll be a whole lot more selective. I definately owe my success to the things I leaned passed down through the generations of my family, and I will pass that to my son now. I find that on occasion, I can teach the old dogs a thing or two as well though.

wsm
08-17-2007, 08:57 PM
i almost forgot,as like jelvis, brambles has been a big help to. thankyou both

GoatGuy
08-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Here's the goods. The Christian Valley, Monashee Pass, Greystokes, Okanagan Mtn ect... These are all areas that have been historically good producers of deer.

From Kelowna we moved to Peachland. While we had hunted the famed Saddle numerous times cause my aunt lives at it's base, that is all we knew of 8-8. The first year we were there, we were shown the local hidey holes, like Buck Heaven, the Piggery, Keys, Katheleen and Baldy. .

All good spots today - guys that hunt region 8 read this and check out these spots! You'll also find some big whities growing in some of those traditional muley areas.

Ohhhh Katheleen and the Piggery WOW, there's some huntin'! If I had a scanner and some of my old mans pictures to show.

bsa30-06
08-18-2007, 09:12 AM
great pictures guys, excellent thread.If more people listened with their ears open and mouth shut, the world would be a smarter place.That applies to all topics just not hunting.

One Shot
08-18-2007, 09:58 AM
Great post Dana. What you said is true. You are on you way to being a respected "old Timer".

muleychaser
08-18-2007, 10:14 AM
My Grandfather used to love his deer and from him is where my passion for hunting deer came from. My first deer was a 6 x 4 mulie from the Cache Creek area when I was 16 and I was hooked right there. My dad didn't do much for hunting when I was growing up cause he was always busy, but when I turned 19 there was no looking back. I talked for hours with my grandfather about deer and thier habits and the lessons I learned from those conversations are still with me today. I don't know how many times in the split seconds after messing up a stalk and seeing the big one run away that his voice and the advice he gave me was rolling around in the back of my head, and he was right!

He told me once " If you see a little buck keep your eyes peeled for a bigger one somewhere around him".....there I was sneeking up on a 2-point, with no intentions of shooting him, but rather seeing how close I could get. I used a ravine back in the timber to execute my stalk and walked out of the timber 30 feet away from him. You could see the surprised look in his eyes when I stepped out, it was a job well done. He turned to run away, my eyes turned with him and there was a 4-point behind him in the timber that gave me about a 2 second look at him and was gone. There I was standing there with that voice in my head. That was 14 years ago and the event still plays through my mind like it was yesterday. Knowing what I know today he would have been somewhere in the 180's as a typical, and I was so concentrated on that little 2-point, I walked right by the big one and never even seen him till it was to late.

Those situations have happened from time to time and you learn from them. Most of what I know about deer hunting I have either learned on my own or have voices rolling around in my head from some very knowledgable people on the topic.

My Grandfather passed on a few years ago and when he did I lost a very good friend and mentor. I miss everytime a buck would walk through his yard and my phone would ring within minutes to give me the update of how big the buck was. But without fail come September every year the leaves start to change, the chill comes back in the air, and there I am in the bush somewhere with that voice in my head " If you see a little buck keep your eyes peeled for a bigger one somewhere around him"...

Maverick
08-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Another great post Dana. I also appreciate the info that Jelvis has posted and whats more he has done so in a very entertaining way as well. I always look for forward to his posts.
Keep it up Jelvis.

tikkat3
08-18-2007, 02:28 PM
This is a great thread. I don't have any family that hunt, so I'm doing my best to learn how based on information you guys are posting that your fathers passed on to you. This site rocks!

hunter1947
08-18-2007, 02:54 PM
What age does it take in order to become an old timer ,???????

kgriz
08-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Last year my buddy, my uncle and myself were hunting mulies at the end of November in -35 weather. While my friend and I chose to push and post in the cold my Uncle decided that he would just drive back and forth making sure nothing snuck by. While we were chasing a buck my friend shot at, my uncle spotted another from the pick-up and hopped out and plowed a BC book deer that netted about 178". He was in the standard mac jacket and wool pants while we were camoed etc. My uncle is more than willing to try new methods but man is he lucky when he goes "old school". If somebody sends me instructions I'll post a pic as I have a really good one

kgriz
08-18-2007, 03:24 PM
here is the deer in question. Notice the lack of bulky clothes at -35. The oldtimers are certainly not weaklings.http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z268/mikekozak/uncledeer.jpg

kgriz
08-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Here's another picture of a big wolf that we got together last year that scored 17 8/16. My uncle seems to be a magnet for big animals and fish. My friends and I call him Darth Walter for the force is definitely strong within him!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z268/mikekozak/unclewolf.jpg

dana
08-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Some Christian Valley Whiteys from the Past
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/dadswhitetail.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/CVHangingpole.jpg

dana
08-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Some Greystoke Muleys
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0078.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/BuggyBuck.jpg

Will
08-19-2007, 10:29 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0070.jpg

Well if that's Pa ? It sure isn't tough to see where Horshur gets his looks from:wink:

Some Great History in those pics ! Excellent 8)

GoatGuy
08-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Here's an old christian valley muley one of my mentors put the hurt on back in the day. Sorry about the picture, it's all I could find on this computer. Coke can bases and not a tine under 6" at the base other than a couple of stickers that you can't see in the pic. I put a tape on him one day and he was easily a mid 180s buck.

Sorry about the pic!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/511785.JPG

dana
08-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Will,
That is one of my dad's old hunting partners. Never met a guy that knew whitetails like he does. He still lives in Kelowna and in recent years killed his biggest whitey yet.

Will
08-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Will,
That is one of my dad's old hunting partners. Never met a guy that knew whitetails like he does. He still lives in Kelowna and in recent years killed his biggest whitey yet.
Well crap...mistaken again:oops:
Hope I didn't stir up any Family matters........:shock::wink:

Cool Pics for sure though :smile:

dana
08-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I always call Horshur a Ba$tard so I doubt he'll be offended. ;)

Will
08-19-2007, 11:23 AM
I always call Horshur a Ba$tard so I doubt he'll be offended. ;)
:lol::lol::lol:

horshur
08-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Well if that's Pa ? It sure isn't tough to see where Horshur gets his looks from:wink:

Some Great History in those pics ! Excellent 8)

Yeh he's a good lookin son of a gun--just like me;)

horshur
08-19-2007, 01:15 PM
Goat--this buck is a Rendel creek mule deer.

Jelvis
08-19-2007, 02:00 PM
horshur's obviously the trophy hunter in the family hey!

dana
08-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Considering that he normally he gets an itchy trigger finger and hammers the first decent buck he sees, he does alright for himself. ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Andy03Typ1.jpg

GoatGuy
08-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Goat--this buck is a Rendel creek mule deer.

Cool, was that the hike out of the high country or were you hunting the timber?

dana
08-19-2007, 02:46 PM
GG,
That is a timber buck. Here are a few more Rendell Creek bucks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0074.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/92whitey.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0132a.jpg

Fisher-Dude
08-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Looks like a Model 99 Savage slayed that whitey. 250, 300 Savage, or 308?

BlacktailStalker
08-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Dana; Awesome pictures, phenominal. I love pics from back in the day. I never got to see any of that or witness it growing up, nobody in my family hunted.
Props to your dad for rockin the shades, thats hilarious !
Fisherdude, kozagriz, same thing, awesome pics.
Very envious of not having times like that with my dad.

I often wish we were in those times. I cant think of how to explain how it looks to me, but its so much better than what a I see in pictures now.

horshur
08-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Blacktail--most of those pics were took about the time that they began to implement alot of the LEH tags and such--apparently they didn't see it that way. In my oppinion hunting for deer--mule and whitetail is better than ever so don't let them fuzzy pics fool you. lot's of good hunting around.

GoatGuy
08-19-2007, 04:41 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/512106.jpg

And the plader lives on!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/512108.jpg

BlacktailStalker
08-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Oh no, I know there are good bucks and lots of them! I'm watching several and counting down :)
I just like the look of the photos, old colours etc, time with Pa pics.

GoatGuy
08-19-2007, 04:46 PM
GG,
That is a timber buck. Here are a few more Rendell Creek bucks.

Cool, you guys ever make your way above timberline in that part of the world?

horshur
08-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Cool, you guys ever make your way above timberline in that part of the world?

Lightning peaks--south peak--yah got snowed out up there a few times. Little bit of Grizz trouble too. Never shot a deer up there though.

GoatGuy
08-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Lightning peaks--south peak--yah got snowed out up there a few times. Little bit of Grizz trouble too. Never shot a deer up there though.

Pretty nice country. Definitely been snowed out a couple times in that part of the world. Moose hunting one week in +20C, sweating like crazy then up to the high country and it was -10C with half a foot of snow??

One heck of a nice day after a cold and snowy night.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/512139.JPG
Here's the boys with one down - working hard. One shot's first 4 pt.
One heck of a good eater!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/512138.jpg

goathead
08-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Man those old pics are great.I could look at them all day.Iam like BTS my dad did not hunt so I learned on my own and talking to many oldtimers who pointed me in the right direction.Great thread Dana and everyone else who shared those great pics

Jelvis
08-21-2007, 02:33 PM
The old timers tell you, don't forget to go to the mountains and walk through the forest.

bckev
08-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Great thread making me feel nostalgic. Those pics could be my relatives from back then. It is nice to see, I have to go dig out the photo albums and take another look. thanks for sharing.

fuzzwilkens
08-22-2007, 01:24 AM
This is a great point Dana. I wish we could read more stories like this instead of talking about gear all the time. And I do love my gear - escpecially when it comes in a shiny fall catalogue :smile:

Anyone have other stories like this that they want to share?

BCBairdo
08-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Steve,

I am totally with you on this one...the old boys know where the animals are from experience. Would one of the old boys you learned stuff from be Murray Johnston? I was with him in buck heaven last year when I missed a smoker Whitey with the bow.....some days you wish you had the gun but I guess you can't get a trophy buck with the bow if you don't force yourself to hunt with it.
Murray was also hunting with another friend when he shot a 190 class muley a couple days after I left (I think Harley said it was the biggest Mulie to come into his shop last year)......the old boys know the spots and I never stop learning from them.

BCB

steepNdeep
08-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Some of you really need a swift kick in the a$$ Steepdeep).

Are you offering Dana? :D I guess that you didn't like my questions about your favourite magazine's owner being convicted in that poaching case (but I thought a "Legendary Sh!tstirrer" could take it) You still owe me a few... ;-)

Weren't you ever taught to respect your elders?

That's the funny thing about the internet... you never know who anyone really is... I actually thought Jelvis was a teenager, but I have a busy life and don't live on hunting sites. I've only read a few of his posts before and wanted to see if he walked the talk...

I do respect my elders, (and any other person that deserves respect). I'm sure that most face to face interactions would be much different than the cyber ones... (but the net is mostly for entertainment 8-))

Looks like your dad shot some nice bucks (bro too)! My dad never hunted. I taught myself to hunt about 7 years ago, while livin' in the (Sh)city... Old timer pics are definitely cool! In my files somewhere, I have a couple of old pics ~100+ years old. One is an indian teepee with hides drying all around it and horns and bones decorating the entrance. Another is an old Vancouver street with blacktail deer hanging (whole) for sale along the sidewalks.

Here's one from a friend of my father-in-law took. She shot the world record grizz with a 22 from ~30 yards...
http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/grizz-wr-bella.jpg

gameslayer
08-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Great thread Dana
Everyone posted some super pictures, those were some big whities taken in the christian valley, that one elk is a beast. Nice to see how the old timers did it. It is nice you were able to learn from the old man Dana I think many of us are jealous.

Will
08-22-2007, 07:40 PM
The old timers tell you, don't forget to go to the mountains and walk through the forest.
Well I'm gonna write that one down so as to not let those words of Wisdom escape me later..............:lol:
;-)

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Got the scanner going today - some more old timer pics.

Dad and Gordie, region 8 moose, 1980s

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/MooseHunt.jpg

Me and Gordie, early 70s deer

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/MeGordieDeer.jpg

Me, Gordie, and Eastkoot, region 4 elk hunt, 1978

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/ElkHunt.jpg

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Some of my Dad's elk hunting success...it's easy to see where Eastkoot and I come by our passion for elk hunting. And, why we still hunt the exact same spots where these elk were taken.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/DadElk1.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/DadElk2.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/DadElk3.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/DadElk4.jpg

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2007, 03:10 PM
And another one falls to the 308...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/DadElk5.jpg

A nice bull...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/DadElk6.jpg

Full trailer ready for the drive home

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/DadElk7.jpg

tufferthandug
08-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Fisher you better watch out, you might make plaid the new camoflauge! Cool pictures!

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Who needs a packframe? I think the old guys were a lot tougher than we are now!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/DadGoat1.jpg

dana
08-25-2007, 05:16 PM
BCBairdo,
Yes, one of those old timers was Murray. When we lived in Peachland, we lived in the house that Murray grew up in. He had a ton of stories about that place. It was pretty cool to hear about the good ol' days. Here's a pic I got from Murray. It is of Waldo Maxon, who was a Kelowna game warden at one time. Where this buck was killed is now a Kelowna subdivision.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/WaldoMaxsonBuck.jpg

dana
08-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Fisher Dude,
Those are some great pics. Keep them coming. I love seeing old time pics.

Here's some more of mine.
My mom's kootenay goat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/MomsGoat.jpg

Some more Rendell Creek whitetails
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0135a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0136a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/TeachingHisBoys.jpg

dana
08-25-2007, 05:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0134.jpg

dana
08-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Another Rendell Creek whitey
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0026.jpg

Summerland Fall Bear
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0027.jpg

Okanagan Mtn Yote
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0028.jpg

frenchbar
08-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Great pics FD and Steve. thanx for sharing.

dana
08-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Christian Valley muley
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0029.jpg

Christian Valley black bear
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0031.jpg

Christian Valley Whitey
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0032.jpg

Packin out a Kootenay Calf Elk quarter
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0033.jpg

frenchbar
08-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Nice felt hat Steve,had one just like it back in the day,hangs out on my shed wall,put it into retirement along with the mullet lol.great pics keep em coming.

pupper
01-14-2008, 07:37 PM
This is kinda neat, I had no idea my grandpa was a hunter and just recently my wife started going through my grandmothers pictures for her scrapbooking, when she came across this picture of my grandpa(L) Dad(young boy) and uncle Gerry(glasses) with a monster Alberta mulie. I never knew he even shot a deer, let alone a hog like this one. What do you think he scores?
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Ott_pics_045.jpg

Will
01-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Great Buck ! Looks like Uncle Gerry's got him covered ! ;)

Great History in that Pic.......priceless stuff:cool:

StoneChaser
01-14-2008, 09:25 PM

Too funny!

Great pic...love the history in some of the old pics!

Cedarstrip
01-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Gotta agree with all of you. The older buggers simply have the experience!
We took my dad (81 years old) out this past fall on a LEH moose hunt. Although he didn't put on the miles like my brother and I, We'd report what we've seen and he'd share what he figured was going on. The usual hunting stories went around, but there was a lot of knowledge in those "Stories".

BTW:
a Red and black Mackinaw looks the same to a deer as 'mossy oak breakup'.

Wild one
01-14-2008, 09:56 PM
The old guys know there stuff.My first moose hunt was with my grandpa and dad.I learned a lot on that trip like how to call moose with my voice, not to put my face to close to the scope(I still have the scare), how to quarter a moose and be a slave:lol: and much more.I will be going moose hunting with my grandpa this year and after 14 years I bet I will learn another trick or two from him.

pupper
01-17-2008, 10:14 AM

exactly, hahaha, I didnt even notice that until you mentioned it:smile:

Marlin375
01-19-2008, 04:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/File0134.jpg

Dana........did you clean out your gallery?:frown:

dana
01-19-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't use the gallery here. I use Photobucket instead. If I link pics to a thread and then the thread becomes old, I delete the pics. If you notice, this thread is actually rather old.

martyonthewater
01-19-2008, 11:52 PM
great thread, you can't go wrong lending an ear to an experienced source

Phreddy
01-19-2008, 11:52 PM
One thing for sure. There are old hunters, and there are bold hunters, but there aren't too many old bold hunters.

Blainer
01-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Good stuff
I'm new to this site,but thought I would mention my hunting partner up north is 74 yrs. old,what a book of knowledge,I'm constitantly learning from him.
He has hundreds of moose under his belt,most would be lucky to have a dozen.

Teriary456
05-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Howdy Dana,
I was just doing a little research on my Great Grand Father "Waldo Maxon" and came upon this thread, I noticed at one time you had a photo. Would you be able to re-post it?

Of course I had to read the entire thread. Great stuff.

Nice to meet you.

Russ