PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Mtn Wonderer
01-19-2018, 12:30 AM
Last fall,
I was hunting sheep in the east kootenay's,
Early morning, I spotted 6 rams for a fleeting moment, I had the day, so I decided to go have a closer look.
my path took me up some timber and onto a slide path, I climbed for 2.5 hrs till I found the sheeptracks in the snow, I worked the tracks slowly up the mountain until they went up into and area I couldn't be concealed, so I decided I didn't want to spook them into the next country. So I decided to head back down and see if I could relocate them later.
On my way down, I was working my way down the treed edge of the slide path, when I came to break in the slope.
I was moving slow looking looking, as I came over the edge. Immediately I saw 3 grizzly bears at about 200 yards, the wind was heavy in my face(so Im am thinking I good) so I sat just inside the trees looking at the bears with my Binos, three beauty sliver grizzlies 7' sow and two 6' Cubs, the cubs were almost as big as the sow. As I am looking, I snap a couple photos with my phone. They look like dots at that distance on the phone. Now I am trying figure out how I am going to get back down with 3 G bears in the way.Right Then

The wind must have swirled or something because one of the cubs stood up on its hind legs,
then started booking it right up the slide towards one. He was closing the distance fast.

I knew to my right,about 100 yards thru the timber was another slide path. So, I moved quickly thru the bush to next slide path, I got to the path dropped down to the creek, then over to the other side.The slide was about 40 yards wide. I paused there looking and listening, the wind was still in my face from down the mountain, I was hoping, if I could travel down to where the two slides met that the bears would get my wind and hopefully move off. I moved down slowly, watching like a hawk at the direction of the bears.

Just then one of the Bears stands up at the edge of timber at about Forty yards looking across the creek and slide path at me. It was a tense moment. The bear dropped back down in the side growth on the side of the slide, where I couldn't see it. I continued moving slowly down the mountain after about 500 yards later
I was able to see two of the bears, above the break in the slope. I was relieved but still weary. A hundred things were going thru my mind.

1. If the bear kept coming, how close would I let come before doing something about it.

2. Where should my shot placement be at close range. 140grn bullets from a 7mm.

3. What if all three came over? My gun only holds 3 rounds. I have 4 more rounds on my sling, but the first three better count. Remember, I
just saw how fast they can up the mountain!!!

Anyway alls well that ends well,
The bears continued on with there business and so did I. I found the 6 Rams the next morning and they gave me a better look
the biggest one was 1" shy of full curl. Had him ranged at 178 yards. Bummer!

What is your Too close distance, to a bear in the Backcountry???

S.W.A.T.
01-19-2018, 05:02 AM
Hold your ground until you can no longer and then start shooting. Bear didn't get you this time but might next time. If you do shoot it I would be honest and report it though. Many wouldn't report it and I understand why but I think I would

tuner
01-19-2018, 05:10 AM
Shoot first, ask questions later.

webley
01-19-2018, 05:28 AM
I was charged by a large male grizzly from 10 yds a few years ago, you do not have time to think about should I shoot or not shoot. if you have time to think about it don't shoot. your human survival will let you know. I did report it and had no problems with the co,s that came out with me to the dead bear, they said I did the right thing to shoot as that bear would have probably killed me. Steve! that story is on this site somewhere but don't know how to find it.

hunter1947
01-19-2018, 05:56 AM
If this grizzly came at me and was fairly close to me and showed aggregation I would not even hesitate on letting lead fly at it plain and simple,,I have been lucky enough at most times to see them before they see me
but the odd time its been a different story I came face to face with a few of them the first thing I did is ready the rifle or defender on fire then if time allowed me to get my bear spray
cap off and ready when its on my belt..

I also pull my air horn out of my pack if possible and blow it lots of times with letting a bear banger go off as well this has worked for me a couple times it put a run on the bear
the main thing that is the most important is always be aware of your surroundings keep out of thick bush as much as you can try to stay in open land where you can see a fairly
long ways.

I avoid thick brush as much as I can when out in the mountains doing this I see bears a long ways out and when I do see a grizzly bear I freeze if they don't see me and wait for the
right moment to back out and get out of there meaning 180 turn.

steel_ram
01-19-2018, 08:21 AM
I really wouldn't know until it happened to me. Easy to sit in front of a computer and speculate. I've had some black bears come pretty close that I didn't shoot, because I really didn't want to.

moosecamp
01-19-2018, 08:56 AM
I was charged by a large male grizzly from 10 yds a few years ago, you do not have time to think about should I shoot or not shoot. if you have time to think about it don't shoot. your human survival will let you know. I did report it and had no problems with the co,s that came out with me to the dead bear, they said I did the right thing to shoot as that bear would have probably killed me. Steve! that story is on this site somewhere but don't know how to find it.

webley (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?10220-webley)
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/statusicon/user-offline.png Member

Join Date Sep 2008 Location North Okanagan Posts 68

Lumby Grizzly
I am the person that shot that bear,I want to clear up some of the reports I have read and heard.
First is that my dog did not initiate this attack,she was about 10-12 yds in front of me is where she was trained to be and dose not chase anything. My dog did not even know the bear was there as I did not know.
The dog is with me as I am getting up in age and my hearing is not that good anymore.
Another report is that I shot the bear to save the dog, This is not true I shot the bear to save my life. It all happened so fast you do not have time to think, As soon as I saw the bear I hollered as loud as I could as it was going strait at my dog,the bear stopped and turned his head towards me and its hair went up on it,s neck and his eyes locked on mine and he stated towards me and I fired, he went down and got up again and I shot again and he ran into the thick bush just yards from me. I ran from where he went in, to give me some more room incase he came at me again.
I went home and phoned the co,s office. I had to go and give a statement and the officer said they would meet me in the am to go and find the bear.
Myself and two officers went to find the bear and had a time to find as it was quite aways back in the bush,my dog finally found it for us.
I have to say that the two officers that were with me were very professional ,their first concern was my safety, and not at anytime did I feel intimidated by them at all,they were very polite and respectful all the time and did not try to put words in my mouth at all. I had the experience to be with these two gentleman the hole day and was a good experience, the co,s do not always get good press as I have read on this forum, but these two officers were at the top of their profession.
I hope this clears up some of the confusion by the media. Thankyou !

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p285/labb_photo/DSC03022-1_zps520d177e.jpg (http://s131.photobucket.com/user/labb_photo/media/DSC03022-1_zps520d177e.jpg.html)

Bugle M In
01-19-2018, 10:43 AM
I have had really good relations with the CO's (only 1 came across as a jerk, but people are people), but most of them in a time like that are very understanding.
I met a fellow once who had just taken a Boar Grizz, and was packing it out, and right at that moment got charged by a Sow (probably smelled the boar??), and he foolishly had his rifle slung on the pack, so he couldn't get to it quick, but just quick enough to drop the Sow at 10 yrds.
CO's were great he said.

Curios "moosecamp", what was your "shot placement" like in that situation???
I always wonder what would happen "when the time came to actually fire"?, and I understand the OP's concern about feeling "under gunned" with only a 140gr 7mm, as I too have been known for running around with a .270/140 gr.
Which, now, when I hunt in GBear area, I have gone to a 300win mag, but, I am not really going up for sheep/goat,
but targeting Elk, so the caliber suits what I hunt now.

OP, you did the right thing, and like someone said, if you have time to think about it, then do it like you did.
But, like the other poster said, it's real easy to sit at the keyboard, but it can be way different out there.

scotty30-06
01-19-2018, 11:26 AM
This past season I was hunting is some thick bush....still hunting for blacktails with my crossbow in a bow only zone....was by myself which looking back was pretty dumb....anyways creeping along a small creek ...notice something in the thick region 2 moss ...and if you hunt it you know how mossy it is in thick timber....anyways ...saw some small movement eyes focused and once I realized it was a cub my heart was pounding ...instant sick feeling ..knowing my crossbow is ready but only have 9in heavy blade on my hip....just as that thought finished I saw the tan colored muzzle come through the bush...she turned her head and started popping her jaws....at 25 yards I already had my bow up yelling ....she zig zagged back and forth as the cub started up a bass of a tree...then she charged....I wanted and waited till she was closer knowing I only had the bow to make sure I shot it ...just as I started to squeeze the trigger she did a but and hook to the right...running back to her cub ...then faced me again...I thought for sure she was gonna charge again...thankful she didnt...instead she lipped me off a bit more then her and cub turned and left.....even being a black bear it was a hell of a situation....in the moment it was all instinct ...nothing more ....all I can say is stand your ground...dont fricken run.

Bugle M In
01-19-2018, 11:45 AM
This past season I was hunting is some thick bush....still hunting for blacktails with my crossbow in a bow only zone....was by myself which looking back was pretty dumb....anyways creeping along a small creek ...notice something in the thick region 2 moss ...and if you hunt it you know how mossy it is in thick timber....anyways ...saw some small movement eyes focused and once I realized it was a cub my heart was pounding ...instant sick feeling ..knowing my crossbow is ready but only have 9in heavy blade on my hip....just as that thought finished I saw the tan colored muzzle come through the bush...she turned her head and started popping her jaws....at 25 yards I already had my bow up yelling ....she zig zagged back and forth as the cub started up a bass of a tree...then she charged....I wanted and waited till she was closer knowing I only had the bow to make sure I shot it ...just as I started to squeeze the trigger she did a but and hook to the right...running back to her cub ...then faced me again...I thought for sure she was gonna charge again...thankful she didnt...instead she lipped me off a bit more then her and cub turned and left.....even being a black bear it was a hell of a situation....in the moment it was all instinct ...nothing more ....all I can say is stand your ground...dont fricken run.

Remember....Prey Runs!!
That is for sure!
Stuff like this always reminds me of the story, and the terrible outcome, of 2 hunters up in the Albert Rvr of the EK.
Caught by surprise, and the gun jams.
It can happen, and like everything in life, when your time is up....it's up.

scotty30-06
01-19-2018, 11:56 AM
^^^^thats right brotha....cant fight fate....sure glad she turned thats for sure.

mpotzold
01-19-2018, 12:04 PM
I was charged by a large male grizzly from 10 yds a few years ago, you do not have time to think about should I shoot or not shoot. if you have time to think about it don't shoot. your human survival will let you know. I did report it and had no problems with the co,s that came out with me to the dead bear, they said I did the right thing to shoot as that bear would have probably killed me.Steve! that story is on this site somewhere but don't know how to find it.

Not necessarily true! Eve & I were charged by a large grizz from about 40 yards but he changed his mind only feet away after both of us yelled "hey bear" at the top of our lungs. Had my 375 been handy (it was by the camper 100 ft. away while we were getting our fishing rods ready)I no doubt would have shot him as soon as the charge started.

BRvalley
01-19-2018, 12:21 PM
have had 2 uncomfortable situations with grizz in the south peace area, and a handful of more cautious experiences that didn't result in anything

first experience we had just shot a moose, we were taking pics and realized the moose was previously shot, bullet holt in velvet antlers and bleeding (so we are assuming the bear was onto the moose himself), we were tracking where the moose was bedded down before we shot him...didn't see the grizz at first but heard him, paws pounding the ground, buddy thought it was another moose, then the jaw popping and huffing/breathing, he charged out of the tree line and had a stare down at 15ish yards then he turned away, small bear, he stayed around all night until we had the moose in the truck and gut sack was gone the next afternoon when we went back for my gear....lesson learned - always keep a gun in your hands with downed game, not leaning on a log or in the truck....if I had a rifle in my hands I would've shot that bear without question

second time I was hiking out on my own, I had cut older tracks in the snow several times in the past few days so I was alert, kept checking 360 degrees every so often...I look behind me and there is a large old looking boar coming down on the trail a good 300ish yards away...not sure if he was actually tracking me or just using the same trail, next to no wind or very slightly swirling wind...there was a dip in the trail and a pulled out bridge crossing, so I didn't want to get into a spot with no vantage point, I held my ground and yelled, expecting he would take off...he kept coming on the trail, more yelling and he kept coming....he came into around 100 yards, slow slumber, not charging, didn't look aggressive but didn't seem to care I was there....at first I don't think he knew I was ahead of him, but after the yelling and no reaction that was enough for me...at around 100 yards I fired a round and that did get his attention and sent him running....was a tense hike back to the truck

only other interesting encounter was coming around a bend in the road and we put my truck between a sow and 3 cubs....cubs went up a tree and thought mama bear was going to come in through my windshield, did a circus dance on her hind feet, then she left the cubs and booked it outta there....my hunting partner was half into the backseat in 0.5 seconds, not a skinny guy and cracked my center console hahah

moosecamp
01-19-2018, 12:27 PM
Curios "moosecamp", what was your "shot placement" like in that situation???

Was just posting Webley's story for him.

M.Dean
01-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Oh come on you guys! Seen on CTV News this morning a bear driving through a Tim Horton's and the attendant spoon feeding it ice cream! Bears aren't bad or mean, I'm going to take ice cream on my next moose, I'll get it on video too!!!

Ramshot
01-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Oh come on you guys! Seen on CTV News this morning a bear driving through a Tim Horton's and the attendant spoon feeding it ice cream! Bears aren't bad or mean, I'm going to take ice cream on my next moose, I'll get it on video too!!!

M.Dean if I ran into a grizzly I would want Galbraith or Tucker there with their axe:biggrin:. No bear would mess with those two. LOL.

Chuck
01-19-2018, 12:44 PM
The problem with this question is that it's impossible to prepare for the unexpected. Suddenly finding oneself confronted by a grizz up close is not the scenario anyone should have. I've always kept in mind such a situation whenever I was in their territory and governed myself accordingly. However, that too, is faulty logic.

That said, I have had a close experience (30') with an unexpected sow and her two cubs who were out of my eyesight, but fortunately for me and my wit. Fortunately because they were playing and making a sound like someone trying to start a chainsaw. My wit, because I knew that there was no one around for miles with a chainsaw, and even though it wasn't even grizz territory, I quickly interpreted as bear.

I immediately backed up about fifty feet and to the edge of the fast flowing river I had been fishing and let out hollering and immediately all three stood up and stared me in the eye. The cubs were second year and almost as huge as the sow. I shook a fir sapling and continued screaming at them, with the intention of jumping in the river if needs be.

Suddenly they all dropped and in an instant took off into the brush. I continued my tirade for a minute more then proceeded to the spot where they were. It was a muddy depression in the river bank that kept them hidden from me with much clay stirred up and the remains of what looked to be an elk leg stripped of all the meat and smelling quite like a bear toy.

Ohwildwon
01-19-2018, 12:48 PM
My default is “here kitty kitty kitty kitty” :razz:

moosinaround
01-19-2018, 02:22 PM
I have posted about this subject a bunch of times over the years! I did forestry work for 18 years many moons ago. I carried a 12ga defender shotgun, and when I started to carry it, I thought a 7.5 to warn the bear was a good idea. I was charged by a black bear one spring, and I let off the warning shot. The bear kept a coming, and stopped at 20 yrds and booked it. I could not believe how fast this bear covered the 100 or so yards to me, through a steep ravine to boot! After that I led off with a OO buck shot and 5 slugs after it. I killed my first bear in self defense up north of Mackenzie. The OO buck dropped it in its tracks at less than 30' with a OO buck to the head!!! When I cycled the action to put a slug into the dead bear, the effin gun jammed!!!!!! Glad I didnt need a follow up shot, which is my point here!! Shoot to kill, first shot is almost always the accurate shot!! I will kill a bear at 30' or less, if I am able. A grizz, or black bear will take you down if they so desire, they cover that distance in a second!!!! Really, any hi power rifle at bear defense range will kill any bear if a shot is placed properly!! Bear behavior education is really your best defense for preventing attacks, and keeping your wits about you in bear country! I am always one in the chamber, and safety on, this is where safe gun handling practices come into play. A safety is way easier to take off, that trying to cycle a round. $hit happens fast, and is unexpected in some cases. Be aware, and see them, before they see you. Keep a loaded hi powered rifle within your grasp at a kill site, better yet have a look out!! Moosin

Squamch
01-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Last season we had an exciting time with a sow black bear. She was at about 40 yards popping her teeth and acting pissed. Her cub was about 50 yards further away, and up a tree. We had a very short discussion and agreed on when she was going to get shot, fortunately she turned around and left, then followed us out for a couple hundred yards, staying at around 30-40 yards. If she had made a move I'd have shot her. A grizzly acting like that, I may not have been so generous.

J_T
01-19-2018, 03:18 PM
During bow only season, we always have a couple of close grizzly encounters each year. Close is less than 20 yards. We always stand our ground. A couple of times, once the immediate situation is stable we slowly back out. And we've been close to contact a couple of times with charges. Charges into less that 10 feet. Definitely escalate our tone and get our MMA pre fight face on. Never shot a bear.

Stone C. Killer
01-19-2018, 03:20 PM
When Grizz charge me I run away. So far has worked out lol

scotty30-06
01-19-2018, 09:11 PM
^^^^heck of a name with that motto hahaha...just teasing....I see some of these guys with the bear coming up the tree that tjey have a stand in and just dont get it....thing would pull you right outta that stand if it wants.....I was told by an old hunter if the grizz is charging full on aim for between the front elbows...that way the round hits in the throat or skull...this of course due to slight leed and bears charging speed....havnt had to try it yet

Drillbit
01-19-2018, 09:41 PM
Young black bears are very dangerous too...

dougan
01-19-2018, 09:43 PM
Let him smell my feet he will think I’m dead

fuzzybiscuit
01-19-2018, 09:50 PM
If I come face to face with a Grizzly and it doesn’t immediately turn tail and run in the opposite direction it’s getting shot. I’m talking inside 50 feet close.

That’s my threshold. Doesn’t mean it was going to eat me but I’m not going to take any chances either. If one of us is going to have a bad day I’m going to do my part to make sure it’s not me and I’ll let the cards fall where they may after that.

scoutlt1
01-19-2018, 09:51 PM
I just carry my tax returns from the last few years.

Any bear comes near me, I just pull them out and the response is a smile and "you've been "f**cked up enough. I can't get anything more from you. All the best!"

scotty30-06
01-20-2018, 12:03 AM
^^^*****!!!!

Drillbit
01-20-2018, 12:14 AM
If I come face to face with a Grizzly and it doesn’t immediately turn tail and run in the opposite direction it’s getting shot. I’m talking inside 50 feet close.

That’s my threshold. Doesn’t mean it was going to eat me but I’m not going to take any chances either. If one of us is going to have a bad day I’m going to do my part to make sure it’s not me and I’ll let the cards fall where they may after that.

That's more like it. Any bear and 50 yards for me.

boxhitch
01-20-2018, 04:14 AM
50 ft or 50 yds ?
I only practice my Rifleman shots to 50 ft

northof49
01-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Every situation is different and bear body language is determining factor. Had 10ft stand-off with big bear and no need to shoot. Griz charging and gets closer than 20yds with no indication of slowing down trigger gets pulled. If see before sees you and far enough away....carefully, quietly pull out and avoid. If close range and moving and not seen you just hold up/crouch and wait for it to move on....but be ready. If on a kill back off quietly...NOW. If stumble on kill be ready to shoot. Have had fair number of run-ins both with and without gun. One time out in large cutblock 250yds from tree line and no gun....late fall. Griz at about 40yds coming up spine of ridge towards me but hadn't seen me. Strong wind towards me and not many options....only seconds to make choice. Crouched down and moved just off to side of ridge about 5yds figuring he would stick to spine....got behind bigger stump and lay flat watching. Griz kept coming and just before got to me he started sidehilling draw and passed by at about 10yds. I carefully shifted around stump to stay hidden. Passed right by. Hit my track uphill about 20 yds and stopped dead.....sniffed ground, and looked around....then followed my trail up to tree line from where I came out of bush. Was lucky wind was in my favour and saw him when I did. For no reason I can explain he dropped off that ridge and skirted right round me. Was lucky that day for sure. Just trying to point out how every situation is different....if I had made noise and waived arms etc, likely would have been entirely different outcome as I didnt have gun. Bear was in hunt mode and looking to fatten up for winter.

Bugle M In
01-20-2018, 03:45 PM
When Grizz charge me I run away. So far has worked out lol

Little P***k, still has good knees!!:mrgreen:

HappyJack
01-21-2018, 08:56 PM

I used to hold off on shooting them, even at fairly close quarters, but now that they won't be hunted and will lose any fear of man, I'll just have to start shooting them.

Fisher-Dude
01-21-2018, 09:47 PM
I've had several really close encounters with g-bears. Only one with a black bear, oddly, that was shitty because he went into a thicket between me and the way out, making for an eerie feeling at dusk not knowing where he was.

I haven't had to shoot in self defense yet, and hope I never have to.

I talked about a few of these encounters with an EK CO over coffee one day and asked what he thinks is a "reasonable" threshold. He said every situation is different, and only you know when you feel your life/limb is threatened. His best advice: make sure you don't shoot it in the ass.

Mtn Wonderer
01-21-2018, 11:51 PM
Thanks for all your input and advice.
My thoughts were that if the bear came closer that 20yards and was still moving towards me I was going to start chucking lead.

I certainly won't be shooting it in the ass!! LOL

butthead
01-23-2018, 06:06 PM
life or death
your choice

gmachine19
01-23-2018, 06:15 PM
hmm...I wouldn't know a fake charge from a real one. So I might start shooting as soon as it runs towards me.

okas
01-23-2018, 07:52 PM
shoot first and walk away no problem ;-)

srupp
01-23-2018, 08:09 PM
Grizzlies are like people..no 2 are the same..personalities. ..as well they have bad days too..Mannies"grizzly..beat up with eye missing..
After 30 plus years of dealing with bears..I also feel bears do not come into any situation with a preconceived game plan..it's impossible to determine what a grizzly is going to do in any given situation..because the bear doesn't know..untill he/she reacts..

Seen far to many instances where the bear did the unexpected...and heard far too many " sure didn't expect that "
As hunters we wear camouflage. .walk into the wind and are using stealth techniques. .perfect scenario for an encounter of a grizzly kind.
Be prepared..hiking..dealing with meat, sleeping...it'sgoing to be fast..nasty..when you least expect it. ..
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6..
What's my comfort range is different for every other person..
The last grizzly charge by mom and her darling pair of 2 year old juvenile delinquents there were 3 of us ..i realized much after the fact that the other 2 had far exceeded their comfort range but had delayed pulling the pin because I hadn't. .i had taken up slack pressure and was about to fire when mom veered off..
Srupp

northof49
01-24-2018, 01:39 AM
^^^^fact there was three of you likely why she veered off last second. More intimidating than only 1 or 2 guys.....every situation is different and need to understand all factors in play and read off bear. If charging 20yds is my threshold.....always carry 338mag with 250gr in G country.

srupp
01-24-2018, 07:57 AM
Lol I carry a Sako A in .338 win mag..with 225 GR. Tsx ..pretty similar
Steven

Brew
01-24-2018, 10:46 AM
I would say hold your ground. when i took my wilderness ATC course I was told that 25m was my safe zone. if a bear comes into that safe zone and is aggressive you have every right to shoot it. if they are facing you aim right for its nose, the bullet will travel up to the brain no problem.
I was also taught NO WARNING SHOTS

.264winmag
01-24-2018, 11:18 AM
It's the surprised encounters that are tough to say. In bear country I hike with one in the hole, bolt in fired position. If SHTF work the bolt and let er rip, only had to do this twice once with bb once with gb. I'm no expert on if I made the right choice, but I'm still here...

I would be more worried about that GB off in the distance that consciously starts coming your way. Happened to a good buddy last season in the East kootenays packing out a bh ram solo. Spotted the grizz sow n cub across a huge creek draw and over a km away. They started his way and next thing he knew they were both almost on top of him, literally. Took care of momma bear point blank range, 2 yr old cub bolted eventually leaving him with 2 bullets left. This guy knows GB behaviour better than anyone on this site, I guarantee that as it runs in the family. He is certain that sow wanted to kill him...

Mtn Wonderer
01-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Thanks for this info, it supports my thoughts.

Ohwildwon
01-25-2018, 01:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/lnGumzI.jpg

mpotzold
01-25-2018, 09:21 PM

It may be a lot longer than a couple of minutes.:shock:

From a grizzly attack article-Most predators kill fairly quickly - but not so with bears. Big cats, like the leopard, go directly for the head, killing with a single bite that penetrates the brain. Crocodiles seize their prey and drag it into deep water, spinning over and over to kill by trauma and drowning.

But when a bear strikes, it simply rushes in like a locomotive and knocks its prey to the ground. once the prey is down, the bear pins it with its paws and starts feeding. It doesn't need to kill you first.
A bear may take its time as it tears random mouthfuls from back, buttocks, legs and shoulders, or goes in through the stomach for the organs. It does not care if you scream or for how long.It may even feed for a while, then come back later for more.

My point is that one may be alive for some time getting mauled & being eaten by the bear while screaming.

One 19 year old woman phoned her mom in Russia 3 times while being eaten alive by a brown bear. It lasted for almost an hour before she finally died.

Both Treadwell & his girlfriend were eaten while mostly alive by a grizz & it lasted for quite some time. A six minute audio will attest to that. The audio quit working during the attack.

Go to 9:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrUEZQi9yMI

warning-graphic-remains found in bear’s stomach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAnxqE9MDpQ

Bugle M In
01-25-2018, 10:13 PM

Cracked me up, needed that today, thanks..lol

Rhyno
01-26-2018, 12:31 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?139944-Charged-by-a-Grizz

Turns out my threshold is about 12y on a full charge. Every situation is different.

Buddy asked me me where I was trying to hit her, " in the bear" was my response. These things happen faster than you would believe.

mpotzold
01-27-2018, 08:40 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?139944-Charged-by-a-Grizz

Turns out my threshold is about 12y on a full charge. Every situation is different.

Buddy asked me me where I was trying to hit her, " in the bear" was my response. These things happen faster than you would believe.

You're a brave man. 8-)
Given a chance to aim & fire I would shoot the charging bear at 40 yards. Any closer don't think one has the time to aim properly especially if scopped.

Consider the following video of a big black bear(almost 7') shot at 40 yards. It's fairly close!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=MKBO-H9EK24

Cyrus
01-28-2018, 11:21 AM
Bear spray is all a guy needs or just play dead lol...for me if I have a gun and a bear charges at me it's getting shot if I am able to do so in time. Don't care if it's a grizzly or a panda bear...I would then self report. I suspect bear attacks will be on the rise as there will be more competition for food and they no longer have a reason to fear man.

mpotzold
01-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Bear spray is all a guy needs or just play dead lol...for me if I have a gun and a bear charges at me it's getting shot if I am able to do so in time. Don't care if it's a grizzly or a panda bear...I would then self report. I suspect bear attacks will be on the rise as there will be more competition for food and they no longer have a reason to fear man.

What Gary Shelton, grizz expert extraordinaire, has been saying all along!

Bugle M In
01-28-2018, 02:38 PM
Bear Spray, yup, I could see my self being my own worst enemy, and get hit from the back draft and stop breathing.
Remember, if your a good hunter, your hunting "INTO" the wind.
So which direction do you think the bear will be coming from, when you run into him.
No thanks, I know why I pack a rifle, cause it is proven to work.
It's not like you can get your money back if the spray doesn't work:-)

mpotzold
01-28-2018, 10:40 PM
Cyrus meant using bear spray or playing dead as a joke(lol):p

Bear spray will not stop a determined bear.Even if it's not windy. PERIOD!
It may slow the bear down momentarily. Many, many real life anecdotal examples will attest to that.

Spray better than bullets studies are anything but scientific & based on cherry picked examples that are far from being statistically significant.
We usually have a couple of cans at camp to be used for curious bear/s that approach camp.

Jagermeister
01-28-2018, 11:58 PM
I think that a sow and her brood of that size are a far bigger threat than a boar. You don't just engage one, they are all going to come to you should the notion enter their noggins.
The O/P said that that grizzly was within 40 yards while standing. Having seen how fast they can cover ground (bolting away), for me I would be locked and loaded, safety off because that bear is well within my threshold. If that bear dropped to all fours and took one step in my direction, I say to you, I'd be shooting and readying the next for a second shot. I would not take that second shot in this case, unless he/she got up saving for the other two to show up. If time permits, I would chamber a new shell in when ejecting the first.
Grizzlies are sneaky, you may see them enter into the brush and you let your guard down while they pussy foot to come from behind. Chances are that this bear may have started to circle but veered off once man scented. These near adult bears think they are invincible having mom protect their asses from gnarly old boars, they have attitude. I honestly think you got lucky. And it was a good thing that ram was under sized. Legal and you shot it, those three would have been there is short order.
And like a previous poster on this thread reiterated, things are going to get much worse as the 'bears not experiencing the hurting from man will lose their fear and man will be experiencing the hurting instead.
I hope a few of those granola munching greenies get a serious whoopassing while hiking to their favorite bear viewing spot. Only then they will come to understand their folly.

Mtn Wonderer
01-29-2018, 09:30 AM
When I saw that bear standing I was locked and loaded. The instant I saw him I dropped to my ass and was getting ready for a good shot, if it decided to come closer. There was 3 bears I was thinking I needed to put one down ASAP in case I had to deal with the other two.

srupp
01-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Reading Gary James Sheldon book is great survival advice for bears..follow his directions for best chance on surviving an attack or even avoiding one...mom with cubs is a bad situation for sure..know your weapon,..
I agree.bears are going to lose their fear of man..the whole dynamics of bear interactions will change over "time"..behaviour will also change for the worse..
Most often heard comment after a charge or attack was they couldn't believe how fast a grizzly was or how powerful. .and the savageness, of the attack..grizzlies are faster than racehorses for that first 100 yards..all thoughts to ponder.
Srupp

HarryToolips
01-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Any time I'm hunting I'm always loaded safety on when on foot anyway, and always aware of my muzzle direction, it's too bad for these individuals who had to load their guns under pressure and having them jam..

BRrooster
01-30-2018, 06:19 PM
I've heard it is quicker to have no round in the chamber of pump style shotgun, so you can pull the trigger and cycle a round into the chamber when you need it , than to think......."find the safety, release it, and pull the trigger. Every nanosecond counts.
I've also heard that a Black Bear will kill you to eat you , but a Grizzly will maul you to teach you that you are doing something wrong. Wrong place at the wrong time , so to speak. Although each episode or encounter will surely be different. Think about this, how many Bears were you close to , that knew that you were there, that you did not .
000 buck, slug, 000 buck , slug.

Mtn Wonderer
01-30-2018, 11:27 PM
Problem is, no Shotgun when your sheep hunting. 14k from the truck for 7 days. Rifle is going to have to do the job.

HappyJack
01-30-2018, 11:52 PM
I would say hold your ground. when i took my wilderness ATC course I was told that 25m was my safe zone. if a bear comes into that safe zone and is aggressive you have every right to shoot it. if they are facing you aim right for its nose, the bullet will travel up to the brain no problem.
I was also taught NO WARNING SHOTS

The last one we had coming into our camp couldn't have cared less about the high powered rifles going off, warning shots don't do much in that situation.

Jagermeister
01-31-2018, 01:07 AM
I've heard it is quicker to have no round in the chamber of pump style shotgun, so you can pull the trigger and cycle a round into the chamber when you need it , than to think......."find the safety, release it, and pull the trigger. Every nanosecond counts.
I've also heard that a Black Bear will kill you to eat you , but a Grizzly will maul you to teach you that you are doing something wrong. Wrong place at the wrong time , so to speak. Although each episode or encounter will surely be different. Think about this, how many Bears were you close to , that knew that you were there, that you did not .
000 buck, slug, 000 buck , slug.
My brother in law was from Kelowna and he was of the same mindset. Must be the water.
A number of years ago, he and I were hunting west of Quesnel. This fine morning we go up the middle road of three that parallel, each in their own valley. Fresh snow had fallen overnight. Come out to a clearcut with only large spruce/balsam root masses adorn the landscape. Alan decides he needs a download and seeks the nearest root wad. I gaze up the road and at a short distance see footprints. No one else had preceded us up the main road, dude must be lost. Alan gets back in and I drive forward to turn around which brings us to the prints. Holy crap, those are grizzly tracks and a good sized one too going north. Back down we go, head north to the other valley. Go up a couple of clicks and get out to stomp the ground. Alan now slings a pump defender shotgun and he is also packing a 300WM. I ask he what the hell is that for, defense say he, grizzly around. I tell hem that he will never get it up in time to shoot and leave it behind, the mag will do the trick. He goes one way and I the other to meet back at Suzi in 4 hrs for lunch. Have a 2 hour siesta and upon waking happen to look across valley to south slope where I spy 5 bulls which have entered the clearcut from the above tree line. Back into Suzi, down the road and up another, lo, hunters in front. Guy motions for me to stop, I try to tell him that there are 5 moose not just the one he sees. Never mind, he shoots and the other 4 bolt from whence they came. Back down we go with a view of where we were not 15 minutes before and just above where we were parked is a cow and calf. Ruts on so there is a potential for a bull. This place we're hunting is older clear cut with 10-15' regrowth and closely spaced. I tell him that I will go the the left of cow/calf, he to the right, wind in his favor. I slowly make way up the hillside and dam, bust cow/calf but they bolt in Alan's direction. If there's a bull, there's a chance but with that thought barely out of my mind there is a blood curdling scream and instantly grizzly flashes into my mind. And Alan, that's where he was headed. Now what? Do I hurry to his rescue, do I leave and seek help from the other party across the way. I collect my thoughts. I'll wait 10 minutes, if he doesn't show up, I'll summon help. If he does, all is good. The minutes tick by and it is an agonizing wait as the time limit approaches. Suddenly Alan materializes around a spruce sapling and not nonchalantly either. He said he tried to shoulder-sling the 300 and ready the shotgun backing up at the same time. Bumped into this tree and that tree as he backed away from where he thought the scream emanated. He thought that it was me that was attacked. He said that it was the worst case scenerio packing that dam shotgun, never to be done again while hunting. What we hypothesized was the cow/calf were ambushed by the grizzly and the scream was the death throes of the calf.
Avoid regrowth if you can't see over it. If you can't avoid it, keep rifle at ready with safety off. Wear a large hunting knife on your right side if right handed, other side for lefties. Shoot if you have time. If bowled over, drop the rifle away and get the knife out. With the bear on top of you, you will want to make repeated stabs to his neck.
This advice is construed exactly from the action taken by a LML hunter when attacked by a grizzly in the Fort St. James area a number of years ago. As the hunter described it, the bear was plucking away at his stomach muscles like one plucking the strings of a guitar and once in awhile grabbing his head in it's mouth. He remembered the foul odor of it's breath. This hunter said that he was swearing off hunting, but I don't know if that was a for sure. And now that grizzly are no longer targeted, expect to see them wherever you may be.

twoSevenO
01-31-2018, 01:19 AM
How many of you pack a firearm when hiking out of hunting season? Here is am trying to save 10oz here or there in my pack and the GF won't go hike certain areas on account of there being Grizzlies around unless I bring a gun.

What's the lightest and cheapest grizzly approved firearm I can look for?

Jagermeister
01-31-2018, 02:03 AM
How many of you pack a firearm when hiking out of hunting season? Here is am trying to save 10oz here or there in my pack and the GF won't go hike certain areas on account of there being Grizzlies around unless I bring a gun.

I don't blame her, you can probably out run her.
Shotguns (pump) are probably the lightest. Some like pistol grip type and others shoulder type. Shortest legal barrel in either. Recoil is handled better with a shoulder weapon. In the post before my latest post before this one, the poster mentions 000buck slug 000buck slug. Forget the buckshot. You do not want them or you spraying buckshot in an adrenaline driven situation. Slugs and better still are Berrnake slugs if you can obtain them. And remove the plug, utilize the full capacity of the magazine. You are not hunting.

hunter1947
01-31-2018, 06:10 AM
These are the 5 things I carry when out shed hunting 1,1/4 oz lead 3 inch long shell 6 slugs in the Remington 870 12 gauge
keep in mind that you can't have this many shells in the shotgun if your hunting turkey or waterfowl .

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/004_2_5.JPG

twoSevenO
01-31-2018, 09:31 AM
What's the weight of a pistol grip 870? Still seems heavy.

HarryToolips
01-31-2018, 11:59 AM
You're a brave man. 8-)
Given a chance to aim & fire I would shoot the charging bear at 40 yards. Any closer don't think one has the time to aim properly especially if scopped.

Consider the following video of a big black bear(almost 7') shot at 40 yards. It's fairly close!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=MKBO-H9EK24
Your right, I wouldn't even be looking through my scope at such a short distance....I had to shoot a black bear at about 15 years or so once, and I had to quickly just free aim...luckily, it was during the black bear season and I had a tag..I wanted to save it for a bigger bear but couldn't be choosey in that situation..

HarryToolips
01-31-2018, 12:41 PM

I pack a rifle year round, good for training for hunting season anyway..

mpotzold
01-31-2018, 08:43 PM
I pack a rifle year round, good for training for hunting season anyway..

You're a wise guy!:-P
You never know where you'll meet one.

A few years back on our way to the Gang eagle eyes Eve spotted an unusual hump near a big boulder that turned out to be a large grizzly when we got closer.
Never saw a grizzly in the open area as shown in the photo before.
As the truck with camper got relatively close he hightailed it and ran full speed & stopped near the big tree ahead of the boulder & right of Fraser. There he stopped & showed off his massive body including his massive daggers while standing.

I have it on a video somewhere in bits & pieces.
Just imagine walking all alone on the gravel road without a weapon.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/DSCN0452.jpg~original

karp2277
02-04-2018, 09:56 AM
What bear?

Laurp99
02-04-2018, 11:20 AM
The most I've ever packed while out hiking was a slingshot with ball bearings/marbles, not much of a defense for bears but when out hiking we generally make a lot of noise, any bear within 2 miles would probably hear us and I've never felt uncomfortable. I'm also watching every pound I pack as like to keep things light!

If I decided I want to pack a firearm hiking then I'll bring my Rossi Ranch hand .44 as it only weighs 4lbs and is legal to carry.
My other option is my .12 gauge break action Chiappa triple barrel but that's more bulky and I use that for my bush camp and pre-hunt scouting trips.

Scouting trips are what keeps me on edge, when you're trying to be quite is when you may encounter a surprised bear or two in the wilderness, I won't take any more chances.

Kill-da-wabbit
02-04-2018, 01:06 PM

I always have a firearm with me where permitted. I usually carry a defender 12 g, and 2 or 3 knives (my buddy calls them Bo and Luke Duke!). All of the bears I have encountered so far have ran away, but I make noise, even when summer scouting. But if that 1 bear does turn at me, I will take it out. No questions asked.

Danny_29
02-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Got charged from 6 yards last summer. Luckily it was a bluff and stopped just short. No time to do anything, all I carry is bear spray in a holster, seems like the only thing that would work. Carrying a shotgun in my opinion doesn't make much sense.

IronNoggin
02-04-2018, 01:16 PM
... Carrying a shotgun in my opinion doesn't make much sense.

http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/blahblah1.gif

Danny_29
02-04-2018, 01:26 PM
http://forum.flybc.ca/style_emoticons/default/blahblah1.gif

Constructive as usual.

mpotzold
02-04-2018, 02:01 PM
Got charged from 6 yards last summer. Luckily it was a bluff and stopped just short. No time to do anything, all I carry is bear spray in a holster, seems like the only thing that would work. Carrying a shotgun in my opinion doesn't make much sense.

The bear must have seen the holster, no doubt!:tongue:
Also everybody is entitled to an opinion!:wink:
Like IN's descriptive response:)

604ksmith
02-04-2018, 02:22 PM
My threshold is that my life is worth more than any animal that is not nearly extinct. I will spray, shoot or do whatever I can to survive based on what my gut instinct tells me at the time if I'm lucky enough to have the time. I've had 3 close grizzly encounters and one bad moose encounter that I haven't yet had to shoot my way out of. But if it happens, it happens.

I would rather survive and have no issues, a pissed off CO, or a legal battle on my hands then be maimed, killed, or presumed dead and never found.

HarryToolips
02-04-2018, 03:14 PM
You're a wise guy!:-P
You never know where you'll meet one.

A few years back on our way to the Gang eagle eyes Eve spotted an unusual hump near a big boulder that turned out to be a large grizzly when we got closer.
Never saw a grizzly in the open area as shown in the photo before.
As the truck with camper got relatively close he hightailed it and ran full speed & stopped near the big tree ahead of the boulder & right of Fraser. There he stopped & showed off his massive body including his massive daggers while standing.

I have it on a video somewhere in bits & pieces.
Just imagine walking all alone on the gravel road without a weapon.

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/DSCN0452.jpg~original
Wow, very surprising indeed To see a griz in sage brush country, I would think..

HarryToolips
02-04-2018, 03:16 PM
So you got charges from 6 yards, and carrying a shotgun still doesn't make sense to you??? Are you sure the bear didn't eat part of your brain??

Wild one
02-04-2018, 03:36 PM
So you got charges from 6 yards, and carrying a shotgun still doesn't make sense to you??? Are you sure the bear didn't eat part of your brain??

Lots of guys don’t feel a need to carry a shotgun.

Been bluff charged multiple times and only carry a gun if I am hunting with it or recovering a bear in think bush

not against a guy who chooses to carry a shotgun but don’t see a need to

Danny_29
02-04-2018, 03:44 PM

I choose bear spray based on study's that show its most effective, the ability to use it bomb myself if I was actually being attacked, and when I went through self defense training I realized how difficult it is to function under that sort of pressure. A person can close a gap of 21 feet or so before you can raise a weapon and shoot...no idea what that distance would be for a bear but i imagine it's crazy far in a real life environment. Has nothing to do with killing the bear or what not, everything to do with me getting out alive.

TexasWalker
02-04-2018, 03:48 PM
I choose bear spray based on study's that show its most effective, the ability to use it bomb myself if I was actually being attacked, and when I went through self defense training I realized how difficult it is to function under that sort of pressure. A person can close a gap of 21 feet or so before you can raise a weapon and shoot...no idea what that distance would be for a bear but i imagine it's crazy far in a real life environment. Has nothing to do with killing the bear or what not, everything to do with me getting out alive.

I choose bear spray too, only mine comes in 12ga

Danny_29
02-04-2018, 03:59 PM
I choose bear spray too, only mine comes in 12ga

I'd even let you borrow mine :)

wos
02-04-2018, 08:13 PM
My new threshold now they aren't a game animal anymore is the same valley.

mpotzold
02-04-2018, 09:07 PM

Don't believe the so called experts & their peer(pal) review friends. Where do you think their funding comes from?

The bear spray efficacy studies were predetermined, incongruous, non-scientific, based on mostly cherry picked he said/she said evidence(anecdotal), exaggerations, some fabrications & too few in number to make a difference.

What to expect when relying on bear spray? Here’s a couple of many!

1) Consider the 2 women biologists(Johnson & Trainor) attacked by a bear last summer in Alaska who were trained in bear safety
Both carried bear spray.

Both within feet of each other were mauled & Erin Johnson died. An attempt to drive the bear off with pepper spray failed. The bear ignored it. It was sprayed very thoroughly. The officials surmised that it was a predatory attack.

The company allows employees to carry firearms in the field as long as they undergo shotgun instruction, but the crew opted for bear spray no doubt due to Liberal brainwashing & one paid the ultimate price.
It was company policy that the employees had to be paired up or in groups.

2) Julia Gerlach, forestry worker, in 2005 was attacked by a predatory bear north of Ft. Nelson-bear spray totally failed.
A nearby co-worker fired a shotgun to scare the bear away.
She emptied a can of bear spray at the attacking bruin, but it didn't even slow the animal down.

"The can of bear spray emptied so quickly, even though it was a big can. I took the can and banged him on the nose, because I remembered that bears have very sensitive noses," she said with a chuckle.

By Dave Smith
Characteristics Of Nonsport Mortalities to Brown and Black Bears and Human Injuries From Bears In Alaska (Miller & Tutterrow, 1999) examined 1,038 incidents from 1986-96 when people in Alaska killed bears in defense of life or property (DLP), and found that “Most of the persons shooting brown or black bears in DLP circumstance indicated that no human injury occurred (98.5% for brown bears and 99.2% for black bears.” People killed 221 brown bears and 37 black bears because the bear “was an immediate threat (charging).”
Of the 72 incidents in Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska (Smith et. al, 2008 ) just 10 incidents involved a charging bear, and 3 people who sprayed bears were injured.

Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska is the most recent study on bear spray, and it included 31 incidents from a 1999 study by Herrero & Higgins on Field Use of Capsicum Spray As A Bear Deterrent.

HarryToolips
02-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Lol ^^^^what he said....shotgun, rifle, it doesn't matter, I'll take a gun over bearspray anyday..

Danny_29
02-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Sounds like you believe in conspiracy theories. I will concede that a shotgun was way more effective than I thought in the studies I read just a little behind bear spray.

Opinionated Ol Phart
02-04-2018, 09:40 PM
Do any of the majority of the posters here REALLY have any idea how fast a griz can move when charging ????? I doubt it. The bravado posted might make you feel better, but I repeat-- YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW FAST THEY CAN MOVE. I have had several charges and have only had to fire once and finish off a wounded griz. Why didnt I shoot the others ?? Because I had my rifle shouldered and I had NO opportunity to swing the gun for a shot. So dont give me this crap that you would be able to fire off a killing shot at an animal running over rough ground at 30 MPH and NOT running in a straight line.

REMINGTON JIM
02-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Sounds like you believe in conspiracy theories. I will concede that a shotgun was way more effective than I thought in the studies I read just a little behind bear spray.

Bear Spray is Pepper Spray Its to put on the Freshly Cooked Bear Meat after i KILL it with Copper Bullets from one of my many Magnums ! :wink: RJ

Wild one
02-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Do any of the majority of the posters here REALLY have any idea how fast a griz can move when charging ????? I doubt it. The bravado posted might make you feel better, but I repeat-- YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW FAST THEY CAN MOVE. I have had several charges and have only had to fire once and finish off a wounded griz. Why didnt I shoot the others ?? Because I had my rifle shouldered and I had NO opportunity to swing the gun for a shot. So dont give me this crap that you would be able to fire off a killing shot at an animal running over rough ground at 30 MPH and NOT running in a straight line.

This is so true when crap hits the fan odds are not in your favour. Then add in that during a crisis situation most people react slow or freeze

I believe the only truly effective way to defend a bear attack is use your brain to not get into the situation to start with. Gun or spray does not hurt to carry but most people won’t react nearly as well as they think

northof49
02-05-2018, 01:42 AM

How could you have no idea? Supposedly you were charged from 6yds....something smells funny. Also, you are wrong....shotguns are extremely effective at close range....I know.

hunter1947
02-05-2018, 06:18 AM
Bears are lightning fast they can come in so fast at close range that a person can't get there shotgun or other up fast enough to get a shot off at the charging bear the only thing that
will help if you have bear spray on your belt and if you can get to the bear spray after you have been hit by the bear that's your only back up if you can spray into the eyes
of the bear when you have an opportunity..

Ohwildwon
02-15-2018, 07:22 PM
https://i.imgur.com/sCKdGNa.png

:)

Jelvis
02-15-2018, 07:25 PM
Safety off gun raised qwick like ready to unload; pin point aim at zee animule steady hold finger on trig airr.
Jelly Idol -- flesh for fantasy -- 2 nite the liquors calling the shots shots shots -- the lah cure iz callin dah shots on dah rocks - I hit rock bottom

mpotzold
07-01-2018, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=mpotzold;1981193]Don't believe the so called experts & their peer(pal) review friends. Where do you think their funding comes from?

The bear spray efficacy studies were predetermined, incongruous, non-scientific, based on mostly cherry picked he said/she said evidence(anecdotal), exaggerations, some fabrications & too few in number to make a difference.

What to expect when relying on bear spray? Here’s a couple of many!

1) Consider the 2 women biologists(Johnson & Trainor) attacked by a bear last summer in Alaska who were trained in bear safety
Both carried bear spray.

Both within feet of each other were mauled & Erin Johnson died. An attempt to drive the bear off with pepper spray failed. The bear ignored it. It was sprayed very thoroughly. The officials surmised that it was a predatory attack.

The company allows employees to carry firearms in the field as long as they undergo shotgun instruction, but the crew opted for bear spray no doubt due to Liberal brainwashing & one paid the ultimate price.
It was company policy that the employees had to be paired up or in groups.

2) Julia Gerlach, forestry worker, in 2005 was attacked by a predatory bear north of Ft. Nelson-bear spray totally failed.
A nearby co-worker fired a shotgun to scare the bear away.
She emptied a can of bear spray at the attacking bruin, but it didn't even slow the animal down.

"The can of bear spray emptied so quickly, even though it was a big can. I took the can and banged him on the nose, because I remembered that bears have very sensitive noses," she said with a chuckle.

By Dave Smith
Characteristics Of Nonsport Mortalities to Brown and Black Bears and Human Injuries From Bears In Alaska (Miller & Tutterrow, 1999) examined 1,038 incidents from 1986-96 when people in Alaska killed bears in defense of life or property (DLP), and found that “Most of the persons shooting brown or black bears in DLP circumstance indicated that no human injury occurred (98.5% for brown bears and 99.2% for black bears.” People killed 221 brown bears and 37 black bears because the bear “was an immediate threat (charging).”
Of the 72 incidents in Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska (Smith et. al, 2008 ) just 10 incidents involved a charging bear, and 3 people who sprayed bears were injured.

Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska is the most recent study on bear spray, and it included 31 incidents from a 1999 study by Herrero & Higgins on Field Use of Capsicum Spray As A Bear Deterrent.

Again bear spray fails to stop grizzly.

One of the campers sprayed the bear with bear spray from a distance of 15 feet. The spray was unsuccessful in deterring the bear’s approach, and it proceeded to climb on top of the picnic table and consume the fish. It also sniffed, pawed, and bit two nearby backpacks.
Prior to its departure, it dug into two fire pits, sniffed picnic tables, a tent, and an RV with visitors inside.
http://www.kpax.com/story/38548978/camping-changes-in-many-glacier-after-grizzly-bear-found-roaming-in-campground

browningboy
07-02-2018, 07:37 AM
I think one should give it a bundy splash then a leg kick and finish it off with a elbow drop! Stupid bears

Wild one
07-02-2018, 08:18 AM
I think one should give it a bundy splash then a leg kick and finish it off with a elbow drop! Stupid bears

If it’s a large boar I would advise going with a kick to the balls or throat punch

safer to fight dirty instead

Jelvis
07-02-2018, 08:45 AM
In reality if I happened on a Grizz in the bush and it came at me, I'd prolly crap my Calvin's firstly.
Jelly-Belly-smelly -- holy crapolla --

tigrr
07-03-2018, 07:40 AM
A grizzly can outrun a race horse for the first 100 yards. If you haven't practiced the action needed to survive it is doubtful you will. Only with one in the pipe was I able to get off a shot before the 3 seconds was up. Loading the rifle took too long.
The professional guides seldom can get on target before being knocked over.
3 seconds is not much time to do anything..
The mythbusters posted a good video on how much time for a human charge.
An encounters outcome would depend on the bears actions and weather I was packing a rifle. The boars run but the sows walk away.
Ever seen a 2 1/2 gallon bucket of crap sitting in the middle of a trail, the diameter of a beer can. I have never met this bear, but I know where he lives.
https://s19.postimg.cc/9zf22cxcz/IMG_1374.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/7uup19vq7/)

curt
07-03-2018, 10:30 AM
if it was aggressive i would shoot it and kick it in the ditch

Useyourfeet
07-03-2018, 11:29 AM
I’ve had 4 or 5 grizz encounters inside of that comfort type window. I haven’t felt that I needed to shoot yet but that has always been based on the bears behaviour. I have it set very clearly in my mind that the first sign of aggressive action from a grizz towards me will be met with my best attempt at a lethal shot. I’ve had too many discussions with CO’s about armed people that got chewed on. They waited too long before shooting or attempted a warning shot.
I also keep the scope off my gun when I’m in thick brush which should speed up a defensive shot if needed. I always keep one in the pipe when in bear country. Final tip, make sure every round your carrying cycles in your gun and the bolt closes completely on it.

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
07-03-2018, 02:15 PM
I don't care how close they get, haven't had problems yet. Have been way close to some (ALIVE) Bears, BB much closer than Griz. It was a lil' guy just over 2yo weighin' in (by my best estimation - again, was very close) right about 180. Came down out of a tree right in front of me while still hunting... i scared it a good one but gave space and it took off post haste, haven't been seen by me again, little bear sign in that area generally anyhow.
I do care (THIS IS THE THRESHOLD) how the Bear acts and what it tries to do. If I sense any disrespect I will square the Bear up. Can't having a Bear eating a next guy's kid or what have you! Yikes.

Fortunately attacks, while well known when they happen, are relatively rare I deem being afeared of/worrying about Bear attacks a waste of time. If it happnes it happens, odds of being attack by Bear is 100% for those that have been. Be prepared & Bear aware!

Arctic Lake
07-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Time to read Sheldon's book again ! I think I would also like a BK9 on my belt, hopefully drive it home if I was being mauled. Who knows how one will react in the face of danger !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
07-03-2018, 09:59 PM
To the Op
I don't want to derail your thread but those of you who are packing short barreled shotguns like Defenders what 12 gauge shot shells would you have in there. ? Slugs etc. Please list your choices for ammo.
Thanks !
Arctic Lake

"No Choke"Lord Walsingham
07-03-2018, 10:10 PM
Arctic Lake - I'm clearly not the OP yet I'd say the top three choices are challenger slugs, Brenneke or the 1 1/4 oz Federal power-shok as a few top choices available in BC. A quick search of HBC shall review plenty of banter on the matter of ammunition choices for defense against dangerous wildlife.