PDA

View Full Version : Lower Arrow Lake Elk

oldboot
01-18-2018, 07:30 AM
My brother and I are looking to do some scouting on the east side of Arrow Lake. Not too sure exactly where, but up high. We are hoping to kill two birds with one stone. Get some backpacking in and do some scouting in the area for Elk sign. If things look OK, we'll come back a few times through the summer and and get to know the area well before making any kind of attempt at a hunt in September. Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the area from both a hunting and hiking perspective? As neither of us know the area or anyone who lives in the area, any help or tips would be much appreciated. Neither of us have hunted Elk, but want to give it a try. I know that our chances of success on a 6 point will be low, but it's not just about the kill, and being out and away in the back country is what makes it all worth it. Have to start somewhere. Thanks.

Throwaway
01-18-2018, 08:38 PM
I’m no expert on he area but bro... it’s January. Let em hunker down and chill a bit. I’d venture that their winter range will be quite different from where you find them come September. Spring when they’re dropping calves would be the time to start in my opinion.

curt
01-18-2018, 10:05 PM
agreed Throwaway

canucks6
01-18-2018, 11:08 PM
Already excited for next falls hunt. I know the feeling. If u want to go high it will be near mid June before u get to explore. Depending on snow pack. I have had the sled out in early June in areas ur thinking about. With little time for vegetation to grow south slopes for food with good timber for cover to beat the heat. I got a camera on a hole that a batchelor group of bulls hangs out every summer (up to 8 different bulls one year) but come third week of august they are all gone. U want a bull find some cows.

oldboot
01-19-2018, 02:37 AM
Yes. That's just it. Just making early preparations for next hunt. I know that it will be June before we can get to the high stuff up there and have a proper look around. Not looking to get in there any time soon. I've been up to similar elevation not too far west of the area and even run into heavy snow late June, depending on the year. We might look around a bit lower down earlier in the year. More just looking for any info anyone may have on the Elk in the area in general and any other tips. I work out of the country month on month off so need to maximize my time as best I can. Thanks for all the comments so far though!

oldboot
01-19-2018, 02:45 AM
Also considering 4-32. I have a buddy with a cabin on that side of the lake that we could use as home base. He doesn't hunt so doesn't know a great deal about animals in the area. But if anyone knows if that side is worth my time....? Thanks guys.

Husky7mm
01-19-2018, 06:22 AM
There is no wasted time in the woods. Head that way in around june and start scouting.

.264winmag
01-19-2018, 07:13 AM
I know there's Elk in 4-32, not tonnes but they're there. Some decent bulls I've seen come out of there, although I've yet to see one alive. I've seen good sign around mosquito lake. Seems to be a busy place last couple times in there, especially in oct the campsites were plugged full. Was some expensive grouse meat we collected that trip HA

oldboot
01-19-2018, 10:18 AM
There is no wasted time in the woods. Head that way in around june and start scouting.

I totally agree. Love just being out there. Hunting or not.

oldboot
01-19-2018, 10:21 AM
I know there's Elk in 4-32, not tonnes but they're there. Some decent bulls I've seen come out of there, although I've yet to see one alive. I've seen good sign around mosquito lake. Seems to be a busy place last couple times in there, especially in oct the campsites were plugged full. Was some expensive grouse meat we collected that trip HA

Thanks for the tip. Lots of country out there to explore. I'll try and get into some areas on foot and see what I see. Always like exploring new country.

~T-BONE~
01-19-2018, 10:56 AM
One of the biggest bull elk on record was found floating in upper arrow lakes. I’m thinking in 94? Around 460”’s too!

.264winmag
01-19-2018, 11:08 AM
One of the biggest bull elk on record was found floating in upper arrow lakes. I’m thinking in 94? Around 460”’s too!

The 'Duke' of arrowhead. Was something else! I know which drainage he floated out;)

kootenaihunter
01-19-2018, 01:05 PM
Just keep in mind that the season in the West Kootenays will most likely be:

Sept 1-9 Bow
Oct 1-20

So unless you're bow hunting, you're going to be post-rut, which means finding the thickest, deepest, nastiest crap where they will be hiding and recuperating. They will not be parading around in cut blocks at that time, so think about deep draws and areas farthest from roads, etc.

Lots of roads above the lake on the east side, and one that runs along the shore, so you can either hike up or down.

I don't think anyone is going to tell you where to go, especially since elk are tough to come by here, but there are elk there. Do your best to do some e-scouting!

boxhitch
01-19-2018, 06:31 PM
Sept 1-9 Bow
Oct 1-20Wonder how this got past the round-table discussions to the proposal list
G/o likely are against it also, who wold want to book a BC hunt not in the rut
It stinks

oldboot
01-19-2018, 09:56 PM

Sept 1-9 Bow
Oct 1-20

So unless you're bow hunting, you're going to be post-rut, which means finding the thickest, deepest, nastiest crap where they will be hiding and recuperating. They will not be parading around in cut blocks at that time, so think about deep draws and areas farthest from roads, etc.

Lots of roads above the lake on the east side, and one that runs along the shore, so you can either hike up or down.

I don't think anyone is going to tell you where to go, especially since elk are tough to come by here, but there are elk there. Do your best to do some e-scouting!

The regs say September 10 - October 20. Bow only September 1-9. Unfortunately, I won't be back from work until September 26, so I may miss the rut. Hopefully I can still catch the tail end. If it's the dark and dirty spots I need to go, I'll do my best. Hopefully we see something.

HarryToolips
01-19-2018, 10:16 PM
The regs say September 10 - October 20. Bow only September 1-9. Unfortunately, I won't be back from work until September 26, so I may miss the rut. Hopefully I can still catch the tail end. If it's the dark and dirty spots I need to go, I'll do my best. Hopefully we see something.
Check out the proposals for the next 2 year reg cycle....complete BS, why can region 8 uphold a 40 day 6 pt season but not the WK....and they only found one MU in the whole WK area to have a lower bull:cow ratio, and its sample size was small...I think it's from too much locals whining...yes there's elk in 4-32 but it can get really busy out there..

.264winmag
01-19-2018, 10:52 PM
Oct.13 for my 3 bulls out 4-3?, all responded to calling and or had cows. We've had our best luck in the later season. I can only think of 2 sept bulls from our group in the Selkirk, monashee areas since gos started...

oldboot
01-20-2018, 02:55 AM
Well, .264winmag, that is certainly welcome news!

Oct.13 for my 3 bulls out 4-3?, all responded to calling and or had cows. We've had our best luck in the later season. I can only think of 2 sept bulls from our group in the Selkirk, monashee areas since gos started...

tangozulu
01-20-2018, 08:23 AM
The Thanksgiving long weekend has always been a great time to call elk for me. Perhaps it is the second rut as i usually see bulls fighting.

Sept 1-9 Bow
Oct 1-20

oldboot
01-20-2018, 09:08 AM
The Thanksgiving long weekend has always been a great time to call elk for me. Perhaps it is the second rut as i usually see bulls fighting.
Tangozulu, I'll just swing out there and you can show me where you see the bulls fighting! :mrgreen: I'll bring the turkey and stuffing! Sounds like a fair trade.;-)