PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunts!

BCBowMan
01-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Hey everyone, was looking to go out and maybe do some coyote shooting during the week.
Now I know you must leave the bush with the pelt, was wondering who or where takes them.???
Also I read that you need a fur trading license to purchase and sell fur/pelts. Does this only apply to store fronts or commercial seller and buyers or would this include me as well selling them to someone for their business???

russm86
01-15-2018, 03:36 PM
You should re-read the regs a few times... I don't recall any of what you just said being correct at all what so ever...

Dannybuoy
01-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Hey everyone, was looking to go out and maybe do some coyote shooting during the week.
Now I know you must leave the bush with the pelt, was wondering who or where takes them.???
Also I read that you need a fur trading license to purchase and sell fur/pelts. Does this only apply to store fronts or commercial seller and buyers or would this include me as well selling them to someone for their business??? You don't need a license to sell coyote pelts . Skin , flesh, sew up the holes and dry them and send them off to the fur auction .
Or find a trapper to take them off your hands ...

Wild one
01-15-2018, 05:08 PM
NAFA is the common auction house most trappers use. Yes you can also sell hides to NAFA

Issue comes in that you must skin, flesh, stetch(auction has specs),clean, sew, dry, and ship your hides

Prices depend on the quality of the coyote and pelt handling abilities. Might get 1$ might get 150$

HappyJack
01-15-2018, 05:49 PM
NAFA is the common auction house most trappers use. Yes you can also sell hides to NAFA

Issue comes in that you must skin, flesh, stetch(auction has specs),clean, sew, dry, and ship your hides

Prices depend on the quality of the coyote and pelt handling abilities. Might get 1$ might get 150$

1$ is pretty low for all the work involved

Wild one
01-15-2018, 06:05 PM
1$ is pretty low for all the work involved

Combination of a crappy lower mainland coyote and poor handling you can see really low prices. I have seen a trapper get 2$ for a region 2 coyote lol

BC coyotes I have sent to auction in the past well handled and trapped not shot(so no holes or blood stains) I have got prices from 35$-100$. Colour is a huge factor and fur prices change all the time

BCBowMan
01-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Not in the synopsis, found it on the government website about being a fur trader wasn't sure what they considered anfut trader. Said a license was required to buy or sell. Here's the link.

Http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/guides/fish-wildlife/fur-trader/overview/

Wild one
01-16-2018, 09:44 AM
Not in the synopsis, found it on the government website about being a fur trader wasn't sure what they considered anfut trader. Said a license was required to buy or sell. Here's the link.

Http://www.frontcounterbc.gov.bc.ca/guides/fish-wildlife/fur-trader/overview/

You can ship to NAFA or fur harvesters auction houses , a trapper, or someone with a fur trader license, taxidermist, and private. But you must pay royalties ( auction houses will do it for you)

Do you know how to put up a coyote hide?

Truth of the matter the demand and value of BC coyotes is low. If you plan to sell BC coyote hides put up the fur correctly and send it to auction. Outside of that you might finds trapper that will give you a few $ but quality and damage will be a factor if they even want them. If you offered a coyote to me it better be real nice because shot coyotes are more work to put up vs trapped ones. Shot coyotes also have some level of damage

If you were in the prairies the quality of the coyotes are much better and because of that there is a higher demand this is not the case in BC

I Have skinned/sold a lot more then a hide or two. More to it then shooting a coyote and selling it

If your not willing to skin, flesh, stretch, dry and ship your coyote hides don’t expect much luck selling BC coyotes

mod7rem
01-17-2018, 05:49 PM
You can ship to NAFA or fur harvesters auction houses , a trapper, or someone with a fur trader license, taxidermist, and private. But you must pay royalties ( auction houses will do it for you)

Do you know how to put up a coyote hide?

Truth of the matter the demand and value of BC coyotes is low. If you plan to sell BC coyote hides put up the fur correctly and send it to auction. Outside of that you might finds trapper that will give you a few $ but quality and damage will be a factor if they even want them. If you offered a coyote to me it better be real nice because shot coyotes are more work to put up vs trapped ones. Shot coyotes also have some level of damage

If you were in the prairies the quality of the coyotes are much better and because of that there is a higher demand this is not the case in BC

I Have skinned/sold a lot more then a hide or two. More to it then shooting a coyote and selling it

If your not willing to skin, flesh, stretch, dry and ship your coyote hides don’t expect much luck selling BC coyotes

Can you tell me what makes the Alberta Coyotes better than BC? Not arguing, just curious. Is it size, color, etc. Thanks.

Wild one
01-17-2018, 06:34 PM
Can you tell me what makes the Alberta Coyotes better than BC? Not arguing, just curious. Is it size, color, etc. Thanks.

You got it colour and overall fur quality on average but there are exceptions you find the rare coyote in BC that meets the same grade and you can get lower grade coyotes in the prairie as well

Overall the average value on prairie coyotes is much higher. This is from consistent year after year auction sale results.

Best way to learn about fur grading is check out the auction houses websites NAFA and fur harvesters are the 2 big Canadian auction houses

There is a lot to fur value and no doubt fur quality varies according to location. Even though out BC quality changes for all species

britman101
01-19-2018, 02:15 AM
Also if you are going to be handling coyotes, you better have a way to deal with fleas. Odds are you going to get one that has some and you don't want to bring those little critters back into your house.

hoochie
09-16-2018, 09:05 PM
You should re-read the regs a few times... I don't recall any of what you just said being correct at all what so ever...

I read it as OP did as far as removing the hide. So, you say we can shoot a coyote and leave it in the bush. leave it where it lay?