PDA

View Full Version : ATV gun rack

Dayto
08-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey guy's I just bought my self a Brand new Artic cat 500 Gear and now IM wondering what you guys prefer on gun racks ? Full boot Case? Just the normal handel bar/rack mount let me know.

6.5 turbo
08-15-2007, 10:51 PM
hi
i got the same bike,, had handle rack before work good,
but loooking for a case syyle the ac throws quite a bit of mud and dirt so you will need the protection i am looking ong the net found some for 40cnd with mountsplus shipping (30)

gotmoose?
08-15-2007, 11:16 PM
I use the double gun rack that attaches to the front atv rack. It works awsome! I started with a fully enclosed gun case but found it to slow when removing my rifle. In addition, I felt that it got in the way when I attempted to get on and off the quad. They are just to big and cumbersome. The open rack may put more dirt on your firearms but the accessibilty and comfort are worth the extra cleaning.

Fisher-Dude
08-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Kolpin Gun Boot IV, enclosed hard case. I would never leave my precious firearms out in the open to plug up with dirt, dust (LOTS) and moisture. What good is a frozen,snow-caked gun on a snowy day? Also, your guns are at the mercy of logs and branches that get spit up or driven into if they are in the open.

I've never had a problem getting my gun out of a hard case and loaded in time if I spot game on my way to my hunting spot - "quick draws" are a thing of the past in most situations where point counts have become the norm for most animals. In my experience, fast movements and jumping around trying to load up fast is more likely to spook game than deliberate, slower movements. Take your time, and you'll have much more success IMO.

scoot
08-16-2007, 07:44 AM
I too have the exact same bike, has like 300 k's on it. I built a plywood box that I put gear in on the front of the quad. It has a lid on it but opens quick. Cost me about 20 bucks to build. 16" high, 16" deep and as wide as you need. painted it black with Undercoating. Much cheaper that anything you will by from AC.

30-06
08-16-2007, 08:31 AM
iv been looking at a gun rack for the front rack of my quad.this one the things swivel .so u put your gun in and swivel it and it tighten's it up. it can also be used for a bow

Caveman
08-16-2007, 08:47 AM
I too have an Artic Cat 500 and have the solid gun case but went to the rack mounts. Found it way more convenient & less cumbersome. Just take care to cover the scope & wipe the gun down when you get back to camp or whatever.

newhunterette
08-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Hubby has the hard case for his rifle but he hasnt taken the quad on a trip yet to see if he likes it or not - next week will be the first time he tries it out - let you know how he likes it when he gets back

Ali

srupp
08-16-2007, 01:09 PM
I had the enclosed case..kept dust etc off rifle..new quad has a bigger dry box so the gun boot wouldnt work so went with the single rifle holder on front..HOWEVER it does interfere with headlite between the handlebars..

Steven

Caveman
08-16-2007, 01:54 PM
HOWEVER it does interfere with headlite between the handlebars..

Steven

PIT LAMPING IS FROWNED ON IN MOST AREA!!!!! STEVEN :biggrin: besides you've got a power plug for the hand held anyways. :smile:

browningboy
08-16-2007, 02:24 PM
I use the kolpin side hard case on my grizzly as the front mounts got the guns way too dirty/dusty for my likeing.:cool:

moosinaround
08-16-2007, 08:15 PM
I have a kolpin hardcase on my cat. I dont really use it when i'm road hunting with the quad. More for when i'm in hot pursute goin home in the dark, or if the riding gets too tough. I bought a real good leather sling, and some scope covers, and lots of cleaning rags for cleaning the dust off at the end of the day. Seems to work for me. Moosin.

srupp
08-16-2007, 09:14 PM
when did pitlamping become illegal???lol

steven

mark
08-16-2007, 09:21 PM
when did pitlamping become illegal???lol

steven

When you marry a native woman steve!

Back on topic though.... Ive used this system for years and would consider no other way! never had any problems with the gun due to mud or ice, just clean it when done!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/108-0876_IMG.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=5775&size=big&cat=500)

srupp
08-17-2007, 12:43 AM
jeeeez...I have nearly the same gun rack mounted in the same way and it never came with such a nice buck.....lol looks like a Browning rifle..same as mine..

Nice buck..again Markk

Steven

CanuckShooter
08-17-2007, 01:19 PM
I use the handle-bar mounts also. Had rack mounts..they got in the way when you wanted to load up a deer..and then you couldn't use it for your rifle. Had a gun-boot....until I drove way way too close to a grizzly bear and couldn't get at my rifle fast enough....Just guess you could call it 'third time lucky'.

mapguy
08-18-2007, 07:07 AM
make sure your gun does not stick out to far on trails i prefer the ones that can move if you touch a tree

300 wsm
08-18-2007, 07:55 AM
I Got The Kolpin Gun Boot