PDA

View Full Version : Baofeng Radios ????

JPG
01-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Thinking of getting some radios. Anyone have any info or experience with Baofeng?
Looking at the UV5r model
Are they easy to charge when in the backcountry?
Is the range good?
Any help is appreciated
Thx

TexasWalker
01-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Baofeng radios are very hit and miss, they're cheap and junky.
A friend of mine sells radios and he quit dealing with Baofengs a while ago because he was tired of all the comebacks.
Wouxun makes a way better product in the same price range.

firebird
01-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Yaesu 270. Japanese and you can 'mod' them at home in 30 seconds

stay away from the Chinese radios

Bernie O
01-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Have had baofengs for 4 yrs now. Quite happy with them for the price I paid. In real life terms 1.5 k. range, Line of sight 10 k. Very useful on industrial rds. There are better radios available but you get a good bang for your buck with baofengs.

TARCHER
01-10-2018, 04:07 PM
I've had mine 2 years. Happy with them for the price I paid. The range is not great without clear line of site although on logging roads you can hear the trucks from many kms away and last fall that was well worth it.

firebird
01-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Handhelds VHFs output anywhere from 2 - 5.5 watts. Base radios (like in the logging trucks) are anywhere from 45 to 60 watt output, not to mention a handhelds little rubber duck antenna and a big whip on a semi. Also the ground plane on a semi.

Nothing is is going to transmit through heavy bush or through a mountain. The radio waves are sent out like 'dome' radiating away from the antenna (centre). Even weather effects range.

Get a couple spare battery packs, either rechargeable or ones you pop AAs in. And get a radio with low, mid, and high output. And transmit on the lowest possible wattage,when you can. Saves your battery no need to put out all 5 watts if you only need 2.

MRP
01-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Have used them but find Puxing radios have longer battery life and 10+ times the distance.
YouTube is your frend when it comes to programing it. If you Chinese is as rusty as mine.

Stresd
01-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Have used them but find Puxing radios have longer battery life and 10+ times the distance.
YouTube is your frend when it comes to programing it. If you Chinese is as rusty as mine.

X2 on the Puxing 777. Find them better than the Baofeng

Have had a couple of them for over 5 years now and beaten the heck out of them yet they continue to performed excellent. Larger battery packs are also available as well. . In my truck I Run a 65Watt Icom 2200H . Use the hand helds when out of the truck. Also carry a couple of small $20 magnetic roof antennas that screw onto the the handhelds. Extends the range of the handhelds immensely. Great for when travelling with someone who does not have a VHF. Just Slap the antenna on their roof and give them a handheld. Also when on radio assisted logging roads when running with a group of trucks, I will put a mag antenna on my roof and run a handheld on the RR freq. This way I can call milage or communicate with the logging traffic if necessary on the Puxing, while still being in contact,BS'ing with the other trucks on another freq that doesn't compromise the logging road Freq.

https://www.amazon.ca/Generic-Magnetic-Vehicle-mounted-Antenna-Kenwood/dp/B00JAH90GO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515684864&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=baofeng+antenna&psc=1

firebird
01-11-2018, 11:27 AM
X2 on the icom 2200/2300s

Elkaddict
01-11-2018, 12:33 PM
My UV5rs worked very well for a couple of years. This last year they started to act up a bit. They still transmit and receive very well but the squelch breaks quite often now. If you have the volume set so you can hear it, it is impossible to remain silent unless you are wearing an earpiece. If you are wearing an earpiece you hear this annoying blast of squelch every couple minutes.

I don't believe the squelch is adjustable at all. If anyone knows how, I'm all ears.

dracb
01-11-2018, 04:01 PM
My UV5rs worked very well for a couple of years. This last year they started to act up a bit. They still transmit and receive very well but the squelch breaks quite often now. If you have the volume set so you can hear it, it is impossible to remain silent unless you are wearing an earpiece. If you are wearing an earpiece you hear this annoying blast of squelch every couple minutes.

I don't believe the squelch is adjustable at all. If anyone knows how, I'm all ears.

It has been a while since I set up my UV5R's, but I recall the menu included provision for adjusting the squelch from level 0 to level 9.

scoutlt1
01-11-2018, 06:07 PM

On mine I press the menu button once which gets me to squelch. Hit menu again and up and down arrow between 0 and 9. Press menu again to confirm.

Hope that works on yours!

Elkaddict
01-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Thanks guys. Makes sense.

VancouverIsleGuy
01-12-2018, 10:55 AM
I've got 2 UV5RE's they've worked great. I did mod them to be more water resistant and added the larger battery packs, I also upgraded antennas as the ones the radios come with suck.
BAOFENG recently released an 8watt transceiver version, so I ordered 2 of those aswell.

Smiz
01-15-2018, 07:42 AM
I had a uv5r and had the squelch issue on all settings. Went to the GT3 and have had no issue with those. Went to the larger battery and a 16 inch antenna which improved the range. I also use a mag mount with adapter for the truck to improve the range when travelling down logging roads. Have used boefeng for at least 5 years now and are a good bang for the buck. My buddy bought a couple of Icom portables and has had trouble with the cold. Work great in the cabin but hit -5 and they act up and squeal and chatter. Not usable. Great on the island but thats about it.

buck nash
01-16-2018, 12:44 AM
There's a lot of problems reported from first gen versions but they're pretty reliable now. You're certainly not gonna get more bang for your buck. They make good first radios and later if you upgrade you can hang onto them as spares or to pass one to your partner when you split up or when travelling in convoys. They receive better than they transmit but you should be able to get your call out to a couple km in most conditions. No radio is gonna go through mountains so if you're winding through the rocks you need to listen and call more often. Probably safest not to assume you've been heard if using any hand held and just yield to on coming traffic. Most of them are transmitting at 20 or 25 watts while most handhelds are only 5 watts.

buck nash
01-16-2018, 01:01 AM
I ended up getting 4 for Xmas this year. I told a few people that I wanted a pair. I guess nobody talked to each other. My wife got me a pair and her mom got me a pair plus I already had a bf-f8+ (which is just a uv5r in a different shell) I also have 2 alinco dj500s. Thats a few more radios than anyone needs so I put a few up for sale after programming the rr channels and a few other useful ones.

The reason I wanted a pair was that they're cheap so if I have one in the boat (I plan to use them as marine radios) and it gets dunked its not the end of the world and the other nice thing is all the millions of cheap accessories available for them. Like extended batteries, $10 hand mics, usb adapters, etc.

Pioneerman
01-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Friends have the UV-5 I have the UV 82-HP and just this Sunday driving in opposite directions inside trucks with small rubber radio mounted antenna we got 15 kms distance before to weak, and that was not line of site. When standing on his deck buddy was able to reach me around a mountain 26 kms away these distances are straight line measured with google earth. Regardless of what was in the way. So for the price they work very well

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
01-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Couple more interesting ones out there too. 8watts---BFUVB2 10Watts---TH-UV8000E -- - E is an upgraded D 8 watter is shipped from Canada 48 bucks 10 watter is just under $90.---ebay. both free shipping. Both get decent reviews from the Hams, & transmit at pretty much the same power. Gt3TP is very similar to these two. The BF has a 4800mah battery.--That the one I just might order.

twoSevenO
01-28-2018, 10:19 AM
I have a couple of Baofengs and they have pretty good range. Way better than cheap 2-way radios from Costco. I've been using them for 5 years now and i must say, i haven't had any issues with them.

The only issue is the squelch that comes on every now and then. But, it has done that from day 1. However, to save battery my dad and I will usually keep them off and only power them on at agreed-upon times and check in on each other if we are separating for a while.

For the price, i've been quite satisfied. I think i paid like $55 each on amazon.ca a while ago.

srthomas75
01-28-2018, 10:51 AM
what is the best way to program these radios? you tube university or what? I want to be able to talk to rest of my crew who has Motorola type small handhelds [ 20 channel? ]

carnivore
01-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Download CHIRP software for PC and get a programming cable. You can then program in the GMRS frequencies. It's just that easy. Check out Fleetwood digital in Surrey for cable.

Smiz
01-28-2018, 05:44 PM
you can buy them in a package with the software and cable all in box. Check on amazon or e-bay.
These are easy to instal and to put in frequencies

mountainman_270
10-14-2018, 12:46 PM
I have icoms and Baofengs and the Icoms are better. But the Baofengs are pretty good but IC70 Icom is better. The Baofeng is far from disappointing given the fact I can buy three or four to 1.

ratherbefishin
10-14-2018, 02:28 PM
I picked up a couple of talk about radios,didn’t work well at all.very limited range and wouldn't take a charge .I’d like to get some that did...with several guys,staying in touch is crucial

Mik
10-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Our camp uses the Baefongs and have so for 3 years, great radios with no issues to dAte.

kootenaihunter
10-16-2018, 06:00 AM
My experience with Baofeng was good.

If you're just going to put in the RR channels, no need for a cable, it's easy to do manually, just look it up on youtube.

ratherbefishin
10-18-2018, 10:39 PM
Where the best place to get them? Are they significantly better than the ‘talk about’?

Bag1
10-18-2018, 10:55 PM
Where the best place to get them? Are they significantly better than the ‘talk about’?

I buy direct from baofengtech.com and just have them shipped, we use the UV82HP's they are pretty decent for range even in the bush, the come with in ear sets as well which is pretty nice for keeping things quiet, we have a total of 6 in use now

ratherbefishin
10-27-2018, 08:23 PM
Not sure which model but I saw them on Canada ammo

boxhitch
10-28-2018, 04:54 AM
Check out the output power rating on any GMRS radio.
To be Canadian compliant they are supposed to be limited to 2 w. output, while in the U.S. they can run 5 W.
The 5 W. units are significantly better

ratherbefishin
10-28-2018, 06:45 AM
So what’s the deal on buying/owning a 5w unit in Canada,do you need a special licence and is this enforced?

silveragent
10-28-2018, 07:52 AM
I bought mine from Wish. Unlike many things from Wish these came in about two weeks.

mike31154
10-28-2018, 08:54 AM
So what’s the deal on buying/owning a 5w unit in Canada,do you need a special licence and is this enforced?

Buying which, the Baofengs or simply a GMRS radio? All VHF transceivers are supposed to be licensed for use through Industry Canada. GMRS radios compliant with the 2 watt limit do not require licensing. The Baofengs have the capability to program/use GMRS frequencies & because they are above the 2 watt limit, would not be legal to use on the GMRS channels(although I think you can change the output wattage on the Baofeng). With regard to enforcement, doesn't seem there are a lot of vans cruising around looking for renegade users. However, why take the chance, the license fee is about $50 a year, drop in the bucket compared to what we spend in our pursuit of the wild critters. I have a Kenwood & maintain a license for it. Problem is, it's not programmable without a computer & software. The 8 channels on it are not near enough for all my outdoor activities, so I have a couple Baofengs for those occasions where I plan poorly & don't have a certain freq in the Kenwood.

ACE
10-28-2018, 09:09 AM
mike, what is involved in getting a licence ?

westcoaster
10-28-2018, 09:29 AM
Three types of licenses.

Commercial, Amateur and Marine.

Commercial license: You would tell Industry Canada what frequency you are applying for (the lad channels) they will ask you for the make and model of your radio. If your radio is compliant, you then get a copy of your radio license after paying the federal government $46 a rear per radio.
User programmable radios are not permitted.

Amateur license: Take the test, get your call sign. Your call sign is good for life (no annual fees) Down side is you are not permitted to broadcast on the commercial frequencies (resource road channels)
edit (again) several amateur clubs will host courses to help new users achieve their call sign. Course fees are usually around $100 and come with a one year membership to the amateur club.

Marine operator certificate: Really, I have no idea as it's outside anything I have an interest in...

edit: It's unlikely the Chinese radio's would be compliant for use on the commercial bands. They would be acceptable in the amateur radio band however.

New Bow Hunter
10-28-2018, 07:40 PM
Several of the city, town and municipalities are hosting Ham Radio Licensing courses for emergency back up situations in case of disasters.
I got mine through the Campbell River ATV Club.

mike31154
10-28-2018, 11:47 PM
I did not take any course for my license. The local vendor I purchased the Kenwood at programmed the 8 channels mostly with local FSR & LAD freqs. They gave me a license application which I mailed in. Renewal form comes in the mail annually. My assigned freq is a LAD channel. I pay the dues on line.

mike31154
10-28-2018, 11:53 PM
To be compliant if the Kenwood needs reprogramming I'm supposed to take back to the vendor. 1st time is free after that they charge money every visit.

coyotebc
11-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Okay a few items here, for information purposes only.
It is illegal to use a Boafeng radio to monitor or transmitt on the LADD or RR frequencies. Industry Canada will not give you a commercial licence to use one of these radios.
it is also illegal for you to use one of these radios in the ham frequencies unless you are a licence ham operator
It is illegal to use them in the GMRS frequencies as they are over the 2 watt maximum.

I have 3 of these radios ranging from 2 to 4 years old and have never had a problem with them.
Here is a link to a letter that Industry Canada sent to our local ham facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bchamradio/announcements/

Gun Dog
11-03-2018, 08:10 AM
What most people here need is a scanner. Add all the LADD and RR channels and you're good all over the province. Sadly a scanner costs more than a Boafeng radio.

coyotebc
11-03-2018, 12:22 PM
What we need is companies like Baofeng to start manufacturing inexpensive scanners that are fcc and industry compliant.
it would also be great if Canada changed the regulation that capped ht's to 2 watts and raise it to 5 like the USA and most of Europe does.

ratherbefishin
11-04-2018, 03:01 PM
What is the rationale behind the 2 watt limit?

coyotebc
11-04-2018, 11:35 PM
No idea, perhaps they were worried about interference with Comercial systems. These regulations haven't had a meaningful update in decades

ratherbefishin
11-05-2018, 06:51 AM
So what happens if you just But a Beofang and use it ?

carnivore
11-05-2018, 07:26 AM

Probably the same thing that happens after you remove a tag that says "Do not remove under penalty of law" from a mattress.

dino
11-05-2018, 07:40 AM

I cant believe people actually care about these laws.
I can hear it now, " man arrested for using 5 watt portable radio in the middle of remote forest with very limited range"

kootenaihunter
11-05-2018, 08:30 AM
In my experience, forestry workers are appreciative of folks using radios properly on roads, it's their life on the line too.

I've never seen a RR radio sign that discouraged anyone from using the channels for intended use.

I actually looked for the link on the gov't website to look up a $50 license and could't find it anywhere, a lot of circling back links, but meh, I'm not abusing it so I don't care.

mike31154
11-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Pretty well nailed, get informed as to how to use it & don't abuse it you should be fine. I'll continue to maintain my licence since I've had it since 2008 & it's no trouble in the big picture. Industry Canada is the administrator for these licences, I think Spectrum Direct was handling it for them but that may have changed recently. There is an Industry Canada District Office in Kelowna I think. You're right though, they don't make navigation easy on the gov't sites, runaround.....

Can't seem to embed any documents here, so link to docs on my cloud drive follows if you care to read up a little.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnSUkGQbfhWggoEkRxefAgl4OPFUDA

ratherbefishin
11-05-2018, 06:09 PM
My only use would be very occasional,typically once a year hunting trips just to keep in touch with hunting partners .The Talkabout’ was a complete disappointment,very limited range and one wouldn’t even take a charge

Rocko
11-06-2018, 09:10 AM
Thanks for sharing Mike. That's very helpful.

coyotebc
11-07-2018, 10:20 PM
I cant believe people actually care about these laws.
I can hear it now, " man arrested for using 5 watt portable radio in the middle of remote forest with very limited range"
as the link to the letter that industry Canada states, there have been complaints from industry users.
I believe the reality is that unless you abuse it, or that you use it on a commercial channel you should be fine.
I am looking for a vehicle radio, that I will license for the rr chanels, that will have enough memory to program in some of the local ham frequencies as well.
I have used my baofeng to talk with a couple of local repeaters, which greatly increases your range

coyotebc
11-07-2018, 10:24 PM
On another note radioditty is having a sale on their gd-77 dmr radio.
It adds the benefits of private digital conversations and the analog capabilities of the baofengs

okas
11-08-2018, 08:24 PM
JUST BUY A I COM radio and you are done bla bla bla or you cheap p-ck a old motorola 1000 they are old and still the best $ value

Arctic Lake
09-13-2019, 11:21 AM
Just going to bring this subject up again as it's now 2019 and fast approaching 2020 .
#1 Want handheld
#2 I would think highest wattage available without taking out a second mortgage
#3 For Road safety in the bush so would need to be able to program in the RR channels . I talked to a logging truck driver 2 years ago and they really appreciate when hunters have these radios to listen for activity. SAFETY !
#4 Ease of use
#5 Communication between hunting partner without abusing it .
So please let me know what make you have ? What model you have ? What price ? Where is it made ? where did you buy from ?
You all know me by now, I ask a lot of questions, but I'm greatfull for replies !!
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-14-2019, 09:41 AM
Just going to bring this subject up again as it's now 2019 and fast approaching 2020 .
#1 Want handheld
#2 I would think highest wattage available without taking out a second mortgage
#3 For Road safety in the bush so would need to be able to program in the RR channels . I talked to a logging truck driver 2 years ago and they really appreciate when hunters have these radios to listen for activity. SAFETY !
#4 Ease of use
#5 Communication between hunting partner without abusing it .
So please let me know what make you have ? What model you have ? What price ? Where is it made ? where did you buy from ?
You all know me by now, I ask a lot of questions, but I'm greatfull for replies !!
Arctic Lake

Any thoughts fellas
Arctic Lake

mike31154
09-15-2019, 07:46 AM
Read back a few pages the info is there. I went to local shop got 8 channel Kenwood for $300 & change, learned about license & maintain one. Cheaper Baofengs have more features, channels & programmable (technically prohibited in the field). 1 Kenwood 2 Baofengs used on hunt last year.

r106
09-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Icom in the truck, easily 30-60km range depending on terrain. Dont think i paid more than 200-300 $ for it, came programmed and i installed it. Baofeng 85 (i think) handheld 3-5 km depending on terrain. Think was 50 bucks or so. If you want the radio for fsr get a good truck unit. Imo the range on handhelds are shit in the mountains.

bankshot
09-15-2019, 02:03 PM
For the truck https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/icom-2300h-5579
I have one in my pickup, I have a few friends with the same one and everyone is happy. I have a 400 or 500 channel Kenwood in my work truck but it's not field programmable and it was more money.

Arctic Lake
09-16-2019, 06:26 AM
Icom in the truck, easily 30-60km range depending on terrain. Dont think i paid more than 200-300 $ for it, came programmed and i installed it. Baofeng 85 (i think) handheld 3-5 km depending on terrain. Think was 50 bucks or so. If you want the radio for fsr get a good truck unit. Imo the range on handhelds are shit in the mountains.

I have a very small pickup so was hoping to avoid an installed unit . Rented a truck unit two years ago Two guys in my truck ,rifles , antenna cables to me = major clutter . That’ why I was thinking hand held then maybe if you can get a better magnetic arias for the roof and plug it in to one of handhelds ?
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-16-2019, 06:29 AM
Can you pick up RR channels on those family talk radios . Saw some Motorola at Cabela’s that were claiming very long distance usability .
Artic Lake

mike31154
09-16-2019, 07:15 AM
Can you pick up RR channels on those family talk radios . Saw some Motorola at Cabela’s that were claiming very long distance usability .
Artic Lake Family talk radios can't pick up RR freqs. They are very low power, one of the reasons no license is needed. The handheld Baofengs do both the VHF/RR channels & family channels.

mike31154
09-16-2019, 07:20 AM
Artic Lake Cabelas is not the place to rely on accurate info re the range of a transceiver. Find a local shop that deals in VHF radios & inform thyself! Don't need to buy there but they know chit!

Arctic Lake
09-16-2019, 05:41 PM
Family talk radios can't pick up RR freqs. They are very low power, one of the reasons no license is needed. The handheld Baofengs do both the VHF/RR channels & family channels.
Did not think so but thought I would ask anyway
!
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Stranger In The Woods
12-16-2019, 01:37 AM
I picked up couple of those at Amazon.com Great Radios , can program in family channels and add repeaters BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF) Includes Full Kit with Large Battery
They advertise 8-Watt , I had them tested and they are getting 5.5 Watt trough which is still very good, they work good for me.

Arctic Lake
12-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Price ?
Arctic Lake

Stranger In The Woods
12-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Price ?
Arctic Lake

Buying from this seller u have USA warranty on it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6NRMMC/ref=dp_cerb_2

Arctic Lake
05-31-2020, 08:23 PM
Anyone know where the ICOMS are made . Would like to purchase Japanese rather than China !
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
06-04-2020, 08:29 AM
Anyone with knowledge to my questions it would be welcomed
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Anyone know where the ICOMS are made . Would like to purchase Japanese rather than China !
Arctic Lake

robert05
06-04-2020, 08:43 AM
Icom Inc. Japan
1-1-32, Kamiminami, Hirano-ku
Osaka547-0003, Japan

one-shot-wonder
06-05-2020, 09:19 PM
If you were to buy a hand full of Baofeng radios would it be the UV-82 or the UV-5R (which is apparently the BF-F8HP) model? Anyone with experience of both, pros/cons?

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
06-07-2020, 09:04 AM
UV5R--BF-F8HP vs UV82--UV82HP--UV82TP--- Not all that much different, I have had or have all of them. With the 82s you can moniter and transmit on two frequencies as the PTT button is two position. The UV5 series you can set the radio to moniter 2 frequencies but will only transmit on the upper "A" frequency. to transmit on the lower "B" frequency you just have to switch the A/B button. Way more acessories available for the 5 series. Limited amount of acessories available(harder to find a supplier)for the 82s. All that being said, Ray in Pemberton, (baofengcanada@gmail.com) orders the 82s by the hundreds. Good guy to deal with. I do not know Ray but I do know his reputation which has been built up over the last few years.

Arctic Lake
06-07-2020, 10:02 AM
So Mickey which Baofeng handhelds are the upper end ones ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
06-07-2020, 08:33 PM
From my experience, I would say the GT3 series have an edge. But that is based soley on my personal experience. They are always better than advertised as far as power output and battery life--the way I test them. The fact that I find them better is really insignificant because they are all very close to being equal in all respects. I will give you two examples. The current UV82HP that I am using is a 5 watt radio but power out put is 9.2 watts--better than every Baofeng or Icom V85 that I have owned. A GT3 Mrk 2 that I got for a friend has better battery life than any of the 60 plus radios that I have ordered for other friends. Its a luck of the draw situation with these radios. I have yet to come across one that does not meet minimum standards of a first production uv5. I have a new inbox UV9R-ERA 18watt 9500mah battery---all I can say is not as advertised. You wont get cheated buying it as a good usable radio, it just doesn't measure up to what its suppose to be. Rare to find a battery that tests better than a 2000mah battery (about 22 hours) and also rare to find a radio that tests better than 8watts.

one-shot-wonder
06-10-2020, 07:37 AM
Thank you for the input MM. Accessories are nice, but not essential in my opinion. Maximizing range is huge priority in my criteria, without breaking the bank as I am purchasing 4-5 units. What methodology are you using to test/measure the power output on individual radios? You mentioned one of your output 9.2 watts that is quite impressive. What would you say is the average wattage output you measure of the various units you own?

UV5R--BF-F8HP vs UV82--UV82HP--UV82TP--- Not all that much different, I have had or have all of them. With the 82s you can moniter and transmit on two frequencies as the PTT button is two position. The UV5 series you can set the radio to moniter 2 frequencies but will only transmit on the upper "A" frequency. to transmit on the lower "B" frequency you just have to switch the A/B button. Way more acessories available for the 5 series. Limited amount of acessories available(harder to find a supplier)for the 82s. All that being said, Ray in Pemberton, (baofengcanada@gmail.com) orders the 82s by the hundreds. Good guy to deal with. I do not know Ray but I do know his reputation which has been built up over the last few years.

Arctic Lake
06-10-2020, 09:43 AM
So I may have asked these two questions already and they may have been answered so my apologies if that is the case but here goes .Are all Handhelds Ham radios ? What makes a Handheld radio a Ham radio ? Can you fellas recommend a dealer in the Lowermainland that is good for Handheld radios and would program the radio for Forest Service Roads ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

mike31154
06-10-2020, 11:45 AM
So I may have asked these two questions already and they may have been answered so my apologies if that is the case but here goes .Are all Handhelds Ham radios ? What makes a Handheld radio a Ham radio ? Can you fellas recommend a dealer in the Lowermainland that is good for Handheld radios and would program the radio for Forest Service Roads ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

HAM is an organisation of amateur radio enthusiasts. They are assigned certain frequencies which they are authorised to use in a non-commercial setting. So depending on what frequencies a given radio uses whether it be handheld or otherwise, it may or may not be a HAM radio... The frequencies used on FSRs are in the VHF band & used commercially by 'professionals'. I don't have a HAM license, but I do have a license issued by the government to operate my VHF handheld. 2 totally different 'animals' if you will. The license I maintain is for a single frequency, in my case LAD which is a general trucking frequency in most of western Canada. When I use the FSR frequencies while traveling those roads, I am a 'guest' user.

The radio frequency spectrum, although it continues to expand, is highly competitive as to who gets what. Interference is a concern so it is highly regulated by each country & internationally. Last thing an emergency service needs when using their assigned frequency or channel are unlicensed, uninformed users chit chatting..... Fees to hold & maintain frequencies by the owner can be very high, so unauthorised use is frowned upon. Technically even with a licensed radio, the holder is supposed to have written permission from the holder of another frequency before they are allowed to transmit on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum

Arctic Lake
06-10-2020, 12:29 PM
Hmmmm. Okay so I’m going to want to purchase a handheld to communicate with logging trucks and equipment on Forest Service Roads when hunting and communicate with a fellow hunter in my party . I need a license to do that ?
Arctic Lake

HAM is an organisation of amateur radio enthusiasts. They are assigned certain frequencies which they are authorised to use in a non-commercial setting. So depending on what frequencies a given radio uses whether it be handheld or otherwise, it may or may not be a HAM radio... The frequencies used on FSRs are in the VHF band & used commercially by 'professionals'. I don't have a HAM license, but I do have a license issued by the government to operate my VHF handheld. 2 totally different 'animals' if you will. The license I maintain is for a single frequency, in my case LAD which is a general trucking frequency in most of western Canada. When I use the FSR frequencies while traveling those roads, I am a 'guest' user.

The radio frequency spectrum, although it continues to expand, is highly competitive as to who gets what. Interference is a concern so it is highly regulated by each country & internationally. Last thing an emergency service needs when using their assigned frequency or channel are unlicensed, uninformed users chit chatting..... Fees to hold & maintain frequencies by the owner can be very high, so unauthorised use is frowned upon. Technically even with a licensed radio, the holder is supposed to have written permission from the holder of another frequency before they are allowed to transmit on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum

mike31154
06-12-2020, 08:46 AM
Hmmmm. Okay so I’m going to want to purchase a handheld to communicate with logging trucks and equipment on Forest Service Roads when hunting and communicate with a fellow hunter in my party . I need a license to do that ?
Arctic Lake

Affirmative. Know the protocol for communicating with logging trucks and equipment & if you wish to use it to communicate with a fellow hunter it better be on a frequency unused by any other traffic in that area. The Baofengs are capable of being programmed with the GMRS or FRS (Family Radio Service) frequencies which do not require a license, however you must limit the Baofeng's transmit wattage to remain legal when using those freqs. That would be a good option to communicate with fellow hunters rather than risk transmitting on an unauthorised commercial VHF freq. One more thing, technically each handheld or 'station' requires it's own license, so if you buy 2, you need 2 licenses....

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01742.html

https://n5bugg.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mmKLvpcOqW07_PIIc3RubotQ955P_p5EeDK77WtW9BVa1JuZ yGpqJ8_5jIH_mpgSajpLTloUwXdn_UReLUBa3iWtSL-4cgcDQvwkpmNLiEFMcvLeWzZ3FF4nPX1wz_2FNiGWw-uFj6YBqmGCz29-VkkHuVurrzRN4whKmg2e85kiCmd2p3xdjOW46fbx63FdBxgI2G R5q6XzsB4juduQO-A?width=1024&height=536&cropmode=none

https://n5bagg.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mkwJJ5mptmsYxUSO4GWxtVO3WBxeyopoIlzUG-RXHpzhe0RF_mLImq7zVreD03Qq5wyKF4NdSYu8BiYtQuCKi1oY htG-7ZlLX1_9K6qk5o0ZWb9ni1xVaH2h1Gjgj7cmt8oP7InS5NWblP dowQrIqJrrHRUAtSvt0SfYRcanM00AFLd-zfVsHVTcKRVBh-QvmFrnRKw9hBHnQFZ_AboNr5g?width=1024&height=553&cropmode=none

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11127.html

Arctic Lake
06-14-2020, 11:34 AM
Thank You Mike ! It seems that Baofengs are good radios but I just don’t like the idea of buying Chinese if I can help it . Having said that if I don’t buy Chinese it will probably cost a lot more for a radio .
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
06-14-2020, 11:35 AM
Thanks !
Arctic Lake

Icom Inc. Japan
1-1-32, Kamiminami, Hirano-ku
Osaka547-0003, Japan

Arctic Lake
06-14-2020, 11:36 AM
Did I ask this already . Any good dealers in the Lowermainland ?
Arctic Lake

mike31154
06-14-2020, 10:23 PM
Thank You Mike ! It seems that Baofengs are good radios but I just don’t like the idea of buying Chinese if I can help it . Having said that if I don’t buy Chinese it will probably cost a lot more for a radio .
Arctic Lake

The first handheld I purchased which is the one I hold a license for is a Kenwood TK-2202. Better quality/finish than Baofeng but guess where it's made? Singapore, ok not China but still part of Asia. Like it or not, most of the electronic products we use come from half way around the world. I don't recall exactly what it cost but I got it at a local radio supplier VMR Communications in Vernon & IIRC it was over $300 at the time. The gentleman there was very helpful in informing me about licensing etc & programmed the local FSR frequencies on it for me. It only has 8 channels, not user programmable so every time I need a different frequency in my travels of FSR's I need to take it back to VMR & that costs $30 after 2 or 3 initial freebies.

A Baofeng UV-5R by comparison costs way less, has 2 bands of 100 channels each (200 channels total) including the capability of the Family Radio channels, FM radio & a number of other features. It has an LCD screen, button keypad, is user programmable on the fly (not technically legal in Canada). It will more than cover all the frequencies of every FSR + Load Channels..... take it from there mon ami.

As far as Vendors in your area, for goodness sake just do a Google search.... surely there are way more options for you than for me in little old Vernon...

https://rpbngg.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mz3P0TLxAk6_5NbDr1bHMWBwfGpaefggpGcmgfZe0OQaoS6b OJG6T4YqOJ23Ken9PGb8Pw3oTUWGEi4eWMb0zm2xlzXTSbx5Vt UcncstCX2WUlJjxcGH_G9hmi9FMf8QEIpjgZGMz_iAeOKTrrHr LKTAWr9Sv2LyYdN60-BsV10JTsTs5e8xUveSW3rc2Wh6cLOGlv55YGodJ74KUmEnW4A? width=659&height=1024&cropmode=none

FWIW the Baofeng does not like RR-28 the frequency of the FSR en-route to our Vernon Fish & Game range. It goes nuts & is unusable... but they come in rainbow colours including camo.....accessories & farkles are also cheap & abundant...

Drillbit
06-15-2020, 12:29 AM
Never read the whole thread, just the last post.

Brad, at Interior communications is the best radio guy I've dealt with. He's in Vernon.

Knute
06-15-2020, 08:05 AM
Arctic Lake, check out Fleetwood Digital.

Arctic Lake
06-15-2020, 09:55 PM
Thank You for the details Mike ! Good of you to do !
Arctic Lake

The first handheld I purchased which is the one I hold a license for is a Kenwood TK-2202. Better quality/finish than Baofeng but guess where it's made? Singapore, ok not China but still part of Asia. Like it or not, most of the electronic products we use come from half way around the world. I don't recall exactly what it cost but I got it at a local radio supplier VMR Communications in Vernon & IIRC it was over $300 at the time. The gentleman there was very helpful in informing me about licensing etc & programmed the local FSR frequencies on it for me. It only has 8 channels, not user programmable so every time I need a different frequency in my travels of FSR's I need to take it back to VMR & that costs $30 after 2 or 3 initial freebies.

A Baofeng UV-5R by comparison costs way less, has 2 bands of 100 channels each (200 channels total) including the capability of the Family Radio channels, FM radio & a number of other features. It has an LCD screen, button keypad, is user programmable on the fly (not technically legal in Canada). It will more than cover all the frequencies of every FSR + Load Channels..... take it from there mon ami.

As far as Vendors in your area, for goodness sake just do a Google search.... surely there are way more options for you than for me in little old Vernon...

https://rpbngg.dm.files.1drv.com/y4mz3P0TLxAk6_5NbDr1bHMWBwfGpaefggpGcmgfZe0OQaoS6b OJG6T4YqOJ23Ken9PGb8Pw3oTUWGEi4eWMb0zm2xlzXTSbx5Vt UcncstCX2WUlJjxcGH_G9hmi9FMf8QEIpjgZGMz_iAeOKTrrHr LKTAWr9Sv2LyYdN60-BsV10JTsTs5e8xUveSW3rc2Wh6cLOGlv55YGodJ74KUmEnW4A? width=659&height=1024&cropmode=none

FWIW the Baofeng does not like RR-28 the frequency of the FSR en-route to our Vernon Fish & Game range. It goes nuts & is unusable... but they come in rainbow colours including camo.....accessories & farkles are also cheap & abundant...

Arctic Lake
06-15-2020, 09:56 PM
Thank You for the heads up Knute ,appreciated!
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake, check out Fleetwood Digital.

Arctic Lake
06-15-2020, 09:58 PM
Thanks for
posting Drillbit !
Arctic Lake

Never read the whole thread, just the last post.

Brad, at Interior communications is the best radio guy I've dealt with. He's in Vernon.

GimpsWithGuns
11-01-2020, 04:40 PM
bought a pair of UV-82's.. Battery lasts a long time and easily programable... No chinese needed.

one-shot-wonder
11-02-2020, 06:16 PM
I picked up 5 of them last month. So far quite impressed. I programmed 30+ channels on all of the handhelds without a program/software. We now have all RR channels and can communicate with industry folks while on the resource roads.

Can't comment on length of battery as I haven't used them much afield, however I recommend picking up a truck mount magnetic antenna as it over doubles your distance from the handheld rubber ducky.

ian745
11-02-2020, 09:55 PM
I’ve been looking for awhile on the island for one of these little guys for when I’m out and about in the back country, anyone got a lead on the island?

j270wsm
11-03-2020, 10:25 AM
Try amazon.

Arctic Lake
11-03-2020, 10:48 AM
Radio Question . Okay so I have my Icom VHF and wanted to be legal so talked to Industry Canada and they have sent me the application . I filled it out and sent it in . I asked the rep about what frequency I would be assigned and she said you are not assigned a frequency but are allowed to use the RR channels for Traffic when travelling the backroads and also use the LAD channels 1,2,3,4 .So what does that actullay mean about the LAD channels ?
If I want to communicate with my hunting buddy who has a similar VHF how do we communicate ?
Arctic Lake

Pioneerman
11-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Radio Question . Okay so I have my Icom VHF and wanted to be legal so talked to Industry Canada and they have sent me the application . I filled it out and sent it in . I asked the rep about what frequency I would be assigned and she said you are not assigned a frequency but are allowed to use the RR channels for Traffic when travelling the backroads and also use the LAD channels 1,2,3,4 .So what does that actullay mean about the LAD channels ?
If I want to communicate with my hunting buddy who has a similar VHF how do we communicate ?
Arctic Lake

The Ladd channels sort of replaced the on CB channels, most truckers use these when working or traveling. You can have them installed or program them in yourself along with the RR channels which you would want to monitor the logging or commercial trucks running the back roads calling out the mile markers so you know their location and to get out of the way. You will often find a blank channel with no conversations so not used in the area where you are , so most would pick a channel like that so you are not interfering with workers using those channels or long out of range from you

Arctic Lake
11-03-2020, 11:30 AM
I have the RR channels programmed and the LADD channels programmed in when I purchased the handheld . My question is that if my partner has VHF do we just pick a LADD channel to converse ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

The Ladd channels sort of replaced the on CB channels, most truckers use these when working or traveling. You can have them installed or program them in yourself along with the RR channels which you would want to monitor the logging or commercial trucks running the back roads calling out the mile markers so you know their location and to get out of the way. You will often find a blank channel with no conversations so not used in the area where you are , so most would pick a channel like that so you are not interfering with workers using those channels or long out of range from you

Pioneerman
11-03-2020, 11:47 AM
I have the RR channels programmed and the LADD channels programmed in when I purchased the handheld . My question is that if my partner has VHF do we just pick a LADD channel to converse ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Pretty much that is what we do, pick a channel with no activity and use that one. We also have the GMRS and FRS channels programmed in so we can have a lot of choices. Pretty easy to find a unused channel though. Depends on where you will be hunting, we often program in the S&R channels in case of an emergency and to help with location if need by. Some channels you can not use near the US border so best to check if that is where you will be

Arctic Lake
11-03-2020, 12:10 PM
Thanks Pioneerman
Arctic Lake

Pretty much that is what we do, pick a channel with no activity and use that one. We also have the GMRS and FRS channels programmed in so we can have a lot of choices. Pretty easy to find a unused channel though. Depends on where you will be hunting, we often program in the S&R channels in case of an emergency and to help with location if need by. Some channels you can not use near the US border so best to check if that is where you will be

one-shot-wonder
11-28-2020, 12:42 AM
I am sure impressed with the distance my truck mounted antenna gives my radio. Anybody have any recommendations on better rubber duck antennas for handhelds?

operator jon
11-28-2020, 09:21 AM
For Bowfung Radio’s

https://www.amazon.ca/ABBREE-Foldable-Tactical-SMA-Female-Connector/dp/B07GYKN6ZD

operator jon
11-28-2020, 10:24 AM
https://www.fleetwooddp.com/collections/tyt-amateur-ham-radios

westcoaster
11-29-2020, 05:10 PM
Thanks
Arctic Lake

As has been said before, just pick a LAD channel to converse. Avoid using the resource road channels for chatter as you never know when you may be interfering with a legitimate road use.

Appendix 6 give details for areas of operation of the LAD channels. You will get a copy of this on your radio license.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11098.html

You may also want to consider the VHF weather frequencies. The weather channels are in very few spots through the province. Look into them to see if they will be of benefit to you....

Arctic Lake
11-29-2020, 06:58 PM
West coaster Thank You for your post ! I did not get a chance to use the radio on this current hunting trip as there was no active use on the roads . I need to look at my license and see what it says ! Also do you get the weather frequencies programmed in by the radio shop ?
Thank You !
Arctic Lake

As has been said before, just pick a LAD channel to converse. Avoid using the resource road channels for chatter as you never know when you may be interfering with a legitimate road use.

Appendix 6 give details for areas of operation of the LAD channels. You will get a copy of this on your radio license.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf11098.html

You may also want to consider the VHF weather frequencies. The weather channels are in very few spots through the province. Look into them to see if they will be of benefit to you....

westcoaster
11-29-2020, 08:06 PM
You should be able to take it to a radio shop and have the weather channels programmed. I have one here a buddy had bought from a shop that came pre programmed with the weather channels.
I set my own radios up so am not up to speed as to what the shops will or won't do.

What Icom radio do you have? (model number)

162.550 Weather 1
162.400 Weather 2
162.475 Weather 3
162.425 Weather 4
162.450 Weather 5
162.500 Weather 6
162.525 Weather 7
161.650 Weather 8
161.775 Weather 9
163.275 Weather 10

Arctic Lake
12-04-2020, 10:43 AM
Sorry for the late reply Westcoaster ! I have the ICOM. IC-F1000 It does not have the keypad just the 4 Buttons PO,P1,P2,P3
Arctic Lake

You should be able to take it to a radio shop and have the weather channels programmed. I have one here a buddy had bought from a shop that came pre programmed with the weather channels.
I set my own radios up so am not up to speed as to what the shops will or won't do.

What Icom radio do you have? (model number)

162.550 Weather 1
162.400 Weather 2
162.475 Weather 3
162.425 Weather 4
162.450 Weather 5
162.500 Weather 6
162.525 Weather 7
161.650 Weather 8
161.775 Weather 9
163.275 Weather 10