PDA

View Full Version : Thutade Lake -

scottwh
01-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Any one been up there lately? I was thinking of doing goat/caribou hunt up there this September. With the mine being closed I was curious about road conditions as its a long haul in. The plan was to bring my boat to access wherever I need to back pack in. Any help would be great! Thanks

swampthing
01-09-2018, 05:06 PM
The further you go the better the road gets.

two-feet
01-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Its a long, long haul. Bring several spare tires. Nice country in there.

scottwh
01-09-2018, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=two-feet;1971898]Its a long, long haul. Bring several spare tires. Nice country in there.[/QUOTE

Is it still good caribou/goat hunting in there if you hike in somewhere off the lake? I heard the road was rough on tires...

moosinaround
01-10-2018, 03:03 AM
Yup still hard on tires, once your off the Osalinka and onto the Tenikie, it's effin rough!! Year before last we went up, cost us 2 tires, un repairable !!! Year before that, blew a boat trailer tire, broke spring brackets off trailer, ratchet strapped it together to get back out to PG. you have a big boat? If so Thutade is tough to launch in, head up the south edge of the bay to deeper water. We were asked to leave the camp spot on the lake by the native cabin by the band, ended up staying at the old mining camp by the Findlay river. Love that country, seen lots of caribou, not much for goats, but I wasn't looking for them. Moosin

swampthing
01-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Moosin, did you check in with the band before you tried to camp there?

scottwh
01-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Yup still hard on tires, once your off the Osalinka and onto the Tenikie, it's effin rough!! Year before last we went up, cost us 2 tires, un repairable !!! Year before that, blew a boat trailer tire, broke spring brackets off trailer, ratchet strapped it together to get back out to PG. you have a big boat? If so Thutade is tough to launch in, head up the south edge of the bay to deeper water. We were asked to leave the camp spot on the lake by the native cabin by the band, ended up staying at the old mining camp by the Findlay river. Love that country, seen lots of caribou, not much for goats, but I wasn't looking for them. Moosin

Would probably just take the 12’ aluminum. Is that enough boat for that lake? No trailer...

moosinaround
01-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Moosin, did you check in with the band before you tried to camp there?
yup left messages with the band contact, 2 weeks prior to trip, then 2 days before trip, had a reply back 2 days after we got back from the hunt. Trip was awesome, wasn't a big deal to move to a different location. I didn't have my boat with me the last trip. Would have sucked big time if I would have taken my boat.

moosinaround
01-11-2018, 09:06 PM
Would probably just take the 12’ aluminum. Is that enough boat for that lake? No trailer...
Long lake, swelled up pretty good on us. I have seen guys use 12-14's in it, but it's a long ways down the to west end. 35kms? If I remember correctly?

grumpy
01-12-2018, 03:45 PM
17k to the narrows then 25k more to the west end . a 14 deep should be the minimum if you are going that far and it blows up most days and then flattens out late in the day

moosinaround
01-12-2018, 03:54 PM
17k to the narrows then 25k more to the west end . a 14 deep should be the minimum if you are going that far and it blows up most days and then flattens out late in the day

Yup, and I'd have at a minimum a 15 horse, prefeably a 20-25!

scottwh
01-15-2018, 10:22 PM
Thanks for all the info and pm’s! Very much appreciated!

REMINGTON JIM
01-15-2018, 10:36 PM
I have a Yamaha G3 14 FT boat with a Yamaha 15 HP - its OK for power with out a lot of weight in it BUT loaded i would NEVER take it out on a big lake that blows up ! :sad: RJ

scottwh
01-15-2018, 11:49 PM
I have a Yamaha G3 14 FT boat with a Yamaha 15 HP - its OK for power with out a lot of weight in it BUT loaded i would NEVER take it out on a big lake that blows up ! :sad: RJ

I got all the time in the world! If it blows up, i’ll head to shore and camp :)

Muledeercrazy2
07-07-2018, 06:27 PM

Hi RJ I have the v16 with a 30hp and I run it in the ocean in the summer when it's decent weather. If you don't mind getting wet it handles a bit of water without any issues.