PDA

View Full Version : Pork-less venison sausage....experiment

Highlander Hunting
01-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has experimented with pork-less venison sausages?
I just did a batch and they taste great.

Veggies and vegetable oil substitutes the fatty meat.

Here's a link to mine:
https://highlanderhunting.wordpress.com/pictures/

Wild one
01-07-2018, 10:19 AM
I have run with no form of added filler in my game sausage for about 12years

Straight game meat and spice nothing else

Gateholio
01-07-2018, 10:38 AM
No way I want to add some store bought pork to my game meat. I will use pork I've raised myself or locally grown beef fat, and there are a number of other ways to add moisture to lean game without other fat. Not cooking the crap out of your sausage helps to keep it moist, too! :)

I've used rendered down bear fat (lard) for other cooking purposes and often wondered if that would work in a sausage. I don't really want raw wild game fat as it can have a strong flavour. Thought I would try it this spring.

Wild one
01-07-2018, 10:45 AM
No way I want to add some store bought pork to my game meat. I will use pork I've raised myself or locally grown beef fat, and there are a number of other ways to add moisture to lean game without other fat. Not cooking the crap out of your sausage helps to keep it moist, too! :)

I've used rendered down bear fat (lard) for other cooking purposes and often wondered if that would work in a sausage. I don't really want raw wild game fat as it can have a strong flavour. Thought I would try it this spring.

Cooking is huge and this is where most fail

BTF
01-07-2018, 10:48 AM
I use coconut oil and used oat flour to help bind and retain the oil while cooking. I always do this when making burgers or meat loaf as well, super moist. No farm raised meat in our house anymore.

MichelD
01-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Agreed.

I don't make sausage, but when I grind deer, elk or moose, I mix nothing else in it.

russm
01-07-2018, 02:12 PM
I just did a big batch of breakfast sausage, I didn't add anything to it and it turned out fine, just be careful not to over cook it.

elknut
01-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the recipe..Will talk to a friend that makes sausage and try this out...Thumbs up Highlander....Dennis